Edmunds.com Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014
3.6

Edmunds.com CEO Avi Steinlauf
Avi Steinlauf

Pros
  • It allows you to have more of a work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• The benefits are good and the time off policy is way generous (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Very senior management (CEOs, CSOs, CMOs, etc (in 4 reviews)

• Top heavy: Operational inefficiency (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Edmunds.com is Avi Cool

Former Employee - Creative Ditrector  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Creative Ditrector in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Avi the CEO is a good guy, and the company's leadership in automotive editorial is clearly one of its strengths. Advertising does not impact editorial

Cons

I am not going to say anything bad. The company has matured. I am not going to say anything bad. The company has matured. I am not going to say anything bad. The company has matured.

Point to selling cars directly and partner with TESLA.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of transparency - constant communication to everyone about earnings, strategy, what is working, what isn't, etc.

Wide variety of technology and a lot of smart people. It's a great place to learn.

Results Only Work Environment (ROWE) provides a ton of flexibility in terms of being at the office. There really is no expectation that you be there every day, unless it's required for something specific you have going on that is better suited to being in person (e.g. presentation to executive team, etc.).

Fun, open, engaging office environment. Tries to be a bit like Google offices - wide open spaces, bright colors, couches, TVs, ping pong, video games, free snacks + coffee, in-office happy hours, etc.

Compensation is middle of the road. It's fair by most standards, but it's definitely not paying Google / Facebook / Amazon / other dot com type salaries. Then again, Edmunds is not those companies. So I list this as a pro instead of a con. Being paid fairly is a good thing, right? I mean, we'd all like $3M in stock options, but that's not really a fair barometer to judge all other companies by.

Cons

Note: I gave 5 stars despite the cons listed here because it's still a fun and engaging place to be, which is more than most people get from a job these days. That indicates "Very Satisfied", which I am.

Probably the biggest concern - I don't have a lot of confidence that the strategies in play will result in long term growth, or even maintenance of current revenue. There's just nothing obvious that jumps out as "hey, this is our 30% per year revenue growth engine". It just feels a bit stagnant and grasping at straws to maintain current state. Hope I'm wrong, but it makes it feel like it's a short term spot for me.

Ton of turnover for a company of this size - seems like at least 1-2 people every week. Not necessarily a con, but usually an indicator of something bad.

The wide variety of technology mentioned as a pro also has a dark side - massive complexity, mostly unnecessary. There doesn't seem to be a unifying technology platform strategy; it's a huge patchwork of every open source technology that has been hot at some point over the last 5-7 years.

It's a bit clicky, as some other reviewers pointed out, but that hasn't really been a problem for me. It's much like other places - there's a culture and personality type that naturally fits in and flourishes here. If you happen to be that type, you'll do well. If not, you'll probably feel like you're on the outside looking in.

It's a family run / owned business, so you have to deal with some arbitrary annoyances that you don't find at normal companies. For example, the elder Steinlauf (Chairman of the Board, son is CEO) roams the office, not appearing to do much, but more than once has unapologetically poked his head into important meetings (with Directors, VPs, etc.) for stupid reasons - he can't get into his email account (user error), or his wife's cell phone is acting up, etc.

None, really. I don't know that I have thoughts that are better than the ones currently in play. It's a tough business to be in, walking a fine line between building consumer trust in our independent reviews, while convincing dealers (who pay us a lot of money) that we aren't trying to screw them by helping consumers find the best prices. Fingers crossed, I guess?

Hands down best place to work in LA!

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

They actually care about their employees and understand that happy employees are much more productive! They have the work life balance thing all figured out!

Cons

It's hard to find your place in the big picture

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Teir III Sales World

Current Employee - Sales  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

High base. Very nice support people.

Cons

This a review for the Tier 3 sales division. When looking at jobs at Edmunds, realize that developers, engineers and Interns live in a completely different world then you inhabit as a Sales rep. Edmunds is struggling to find an identity; are they a listing site or a research site.
    Even with the industry high base they are having a difficult time keeping people. They are desperate to find sales reps that can start closing on day 1; so you have to have deep connections to get hired. You will need them; its only your relationships that will keep customers. Price cuts and free products have done little to stem the loss of customers. There is no marketing of the product or company and you will receive little help from the executive team. They are unapproachable and anything but transparent. Fear and intimidation are the management tools.
    The executive team is more focused on getting people fired than adding new business. They take great pride and go through great lengths to get people to leave. Remember, they are offering an Industry high base salary and people are still walking away! The majority of people have been there less then 2 years and most have looked elsewhere; but they stay for the high base. Look at all the reviews on Glassdoor; then subtract Interns, Software folks and every review written on August 1st and you will see a true picture of Edmunds.com. They really could have done great things.

You need a major cleaning! Call any of your ex-sales people (who you spent ten's of thousand to recruit and train) and ask them why they left. I guarantee the same name will come up over and over again. If your goal is to stay in the classified listing space you need to bring in some outside help. You could probably benefit for some HR audits. Your sales people are afraid of one person. That person would rather get involved in the firing of a sales reps then admit their wrong. That person spends more time on petty issues then on sales strategies. You can't run a national sales team like a car wash. Get some outside help or give up.

Enriching, dynamic, challenging, and never dull.

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Tremendous benefits and a flexible work schedule. The work is intellectually stimulating and there is a a lot of openness to new ideas and approaches for people who can absorb and welcome change. Very public and honest reflection from upper management. Tremendous care an attention is placed on their employees.

Cons

Emphasis on swift. decisive action has a tendency to backfire and create thrash and churn among project teams. Ambiguity about objectives can make work/life balance very difficult for many. Numerous pet projects create distractions.

Anonymous

I have been working at Edmunds.com

Pros

-Rowe
    -Creative Environment
    -Potential for growth
    -They have a great on boarding process so that you are familiar with the company

Cons

-Rowe isn't beneficial for all positions
    -More transparency

Worst Working Environment I Have Ever Experienced

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Moffett Field, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Moffett Field, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits. Forward thinking CEO & President.

Cons

Please see Culturally oppressive, review posted on July 27 on glassdoor. This is a true review if you are a field employee. If you consider a position in sales get some honest answers on the turnover rate (I was mislead).

Executive Management needs to step up and do some "house cleaning" at the sales management level. How can you allow this amount of turnover in your sales force without asking questions.

Great day-to-day feel, worrisome outlook

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent work/life balance with ROWE. For the most part there are mechanisms to hear out employee concerns at every level, so if there's anything that bothers you about your particular manager/director, it's not hard to be heard (although I don't sense that this is a common problem to begin with. In general, working here from day to day is fun and relatively low-stress.

Also, if you do your job and play the game, above average compensation seems to follow.

Cons

Many question the direction of the company in a time that's been a bit turbulent. Traffic is on the decline and competitors with flat, streamlined website designs offer more ease-of-use for the same product. The difficulty seems to be that Edmunds relies heavily on advertising revenue for cash flow, but ads muck up the site and make navigation and page load times reminiscent of a decade ago. This is in direct conflict with the transition to becoming a car shopping website.

The flaws of the current site design might not stand to baby-boomer uses, but younger users who are becoming more and more accustomed to simple, easily navigable, and fast applications won't put up with it for long. Perhaps the Tier 3 business doesn't belong on Edmunds.com, but on an integrated sister website that offers the same product without the burden of heavy advertising.

Best place I've ever worked!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Results only work environment (work where you want, when you want as long as your get your work done)

Excellent pay, location, benefits!

Rewarding, challenging work.

Cons

Sometimes the product can inhibit latest design directions.

Great benefits, lots of transparency

Current Employee - Product  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Product in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits: Result only work environment means employees can set their own schedules and work from where they want as long as they can figure out how to coordinate with other team members and meet goals.

Transparency: Company leadership is very transparent about what's happening - good and bad. COO sends out emails at least twice a week to discuss current problems and opportunities.

Cons

Due to the benefits, there isn't a lot of turnover, so people trying to move up quickly may not find the opportunities they're looking for - these types of people tend to leave after a couple years unless they're able to get in front of the executive team and really impress them.

Continue to hold internal innovation competitions so that all employees have a forum to share their ideas.

Worked for Edmunds.com? Contribute to the Community!