Edmunds.com Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014
3.6

Edmunds.com CEO Avi Steinlauf
Avi Steinlauf

Pros
  • It allows you to have more of a work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• The benefits are good and the time off policy is way generous (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Very senior management (CEOs, CSOs, CMOs, etc (in 4 reviews)

• Top heavy: Operational inefficiency (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

edmunds is awesome!

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

flexible work schedule, super nice people, transparency, yearly raises and bonus, beautiful location.This place is a real slice of heaven.

Cons

none really...this place is truly wonderful. it is hard to come up with negatives.

no issues to report, the executives are on point and always friendly and approachable.

The best company that I have worked for in a while

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

One of the best work environment (ROWE)
    Good compensation and benefits
    Talented people
    Stable Management
    Managements trust on employees and not afraid to change culture

Cons

Sometimes work life balance is affected due to the amount of work that needs to be done
    Benefits (medical) can be better
    As there are no stock options bonus could be better

Wonderful company, suffers from too many direction changes

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time

Pros

Results only work environment lets you work where you want, when you want, as long as your work gets done. Unlimited time off, happy hours, reimbursement for gym memberships. Some really talented co-workers

Cons

Extra benefits are great, but monetary compensation is definitely on the low end for this industry. Frequent shift in the direction of the company, which is frustrating. Very senior management (CEOs, CSOs, CMOs, etc.) are extremely forward thinking, but mid-level management is very much stuck in the "we've always done it this way, why change mentality."

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They truly value their employees!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work-life balance is incredible here. Most departments of this company are super flexible with your schedule. I come and go as I please, and I can actually live life and get my job done - all the while not feeling as stressed. If I want to leave for the day bc I'm tired, I do. But, I get my job done.
    The leadership TRULY cares about the consumer. They take every piece of feedback and try to apply it to making our site better.
    Edmunds just really values their employees and treats us well. We have a lot of fun events all the time, and they really spare no expense for us.

Cons

At times, it's hard to see any growth potential. Seems like sometimes people get promoted or moved up based on tenure vs actual knowledge of how to run a team of people (a critical skill).
    The flexible work environment has a different definition depending on what dept you're in. I think it should be consistent throughout. I know that's the goal. But, it's not reality at the moment.

Great people, great product

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Laguna Niguel, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Laguna Niguel, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working with great people. Comp plan is reasonable. The product speaks for itself. The Edmunds.com team never is just satisfied with standing still. It has been my pleasure being part of a corporation who truly cares about its consumers, customers, and staff.

Cons

Comes with my position long drives and the...traffic! Working with SalesForce is a necessary evil, I am not a big fan of long annual corporate meetings in the middle of the month. I'd rather have them on the last 2 days/1st day of a calendar month. None of our clients want to see us on those days typically.

Continue beta testing with focus groups across the US prior to launching new product

Edmunds is a very good company to work for, with room to grow.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

ROWE, ROWE, ROWE your boat to this shore. Ok, ROWE is great. The pay is competitive as is the benefits package. There are lots of talented people to learn from and work with, and there is a lot of opportunity to learn and do new things. The facilities are nice. The WE team actually seems to care and I get a sense that the company actually cares about it's employees, dealers and consumers. My management chain is very supportive and seems to actually care and work to empower me to get my job done as well as promote my career growth.

Cons

Edmunds is still working through the balance of advertising and dealer leads. This is a bit of a challenge and creates competing interests at times. Because of this, there are some in the organization who can be a bit negative at times.

Great Environment, Humble People

Current Employee - Data Editor  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Data Editor in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

ROWE (Results only Work Environment) They understand that we do have lives out side from work and its so convenient and beneficial especially when having obligations, such as children ,taking care of sick loved one(s), dealing with an illness, you name it, you can work from home when needed:)

Cons

Not to drink complimentary Coffee ALL day lol!

Create More workshops for specific Training.

Nice Place

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent work environment! Great coworkers. ROWE! All around great company to work for. Lots of freedom.

Cons

Not a whole lot.

Executives are like rock stars. Highly unlikely they'll talk to you. Not crazy, but since it is a small company it would probably make all levels of employees feel important and motivate even more

Great Work/Life balance

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

ROWE
    Better than average pay raises

Cons

Excecutive management seems inexperienced and lacks follow through on some major projects

Teir III Sales World

Current Employee - Sales  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

High base. Very nice support people.

Cons

This a review for the Tier 3 sales division. When looking at jobs at Edmunds, realize that developers, engineers and Interns live in a completely different world then you inhabit as a Sales rep. Edmunds is struggling to find an identity; are they a listing site or a research site.
    Even with the industry high base they are having a difficult time keeping people. They are desperate to find sales reps that can start closing on day 1; so you have to have deep connections to get hired. You will need them; its only your relationships that will keep customers. Price cuts and free products have done little to stem the loss of customers. There is no marketing of the product or company and you will receive little help from the executive team. They are unapproachable and anything but transparent. Fear and intimidation are the management tools.
    The executive team is more focused on getting people fired than adding new business. They take great pride and go through great lengths to get people to leave. Remember, they are offering an Industry high base salary and people are still walking away! The majority of people have been there less then 2 years and most have looked elsewhere; but they stay for the high base. Look at all the reviews on Glassdoor; then subtract Interns, Software folks and every review written on August 1st and you will see a true picture of Edmunds.com. They really could have done great things.

You need a major cleaning! Call any of your ex-sales people (who you spent ten's of thousand to recruit and train) and ask them why they left. I guarantee the same name will come up over and over again. If your goal is to stay in the classified listing space you need to bring in some outside help. You could probably benefit for some HR audits. Your sales people are afraid of one person. That person would rather get involved in the firing of a sales reps then admit their wrong. That person spends more time on petty issues then on sales strategies. You can't run a national sales team like a car wash. Get some outside help or give up.

Worked for Edmunds.com? Contribute to the Community!