Edmunds.com

Edmunds.com Reviews in Santa Monica, CA

Updated Jun 28, 2014

Edmunds.com CEO Avi Steinlauf

Avi Steinlauf

Pros
  • It allows you to have more of a work life balance(in 9 reviews)

• The benefits are good and the time off policy is way generous(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Very senior management (CEOs, CSOs, CMOs, etc(in 4 reviews)

• Top heavy: Operational inefficiency(in 4 reviews)

43 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Frequent role changes without title or pay changes.

Sales Analyst (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsROWE (results only work environment). As long as the work gets done, it doesn't matter how many hours you work or where you work from (in theory). Fresh fruit every morning, cereal on Monday mornings, bagels on Friday mornings, some catered lunches. Good opportunity to work with cutting edge technology (depending on your role).

ConsAs an employee moves further along in tenure they are demanded to take on additional projects, work, and in person meetings, which actually ends up in longer hours spent and increasingly stressful expectations. You must be a "yes man" and expect to take on anything that comes your way.

I became a yes man, played by the rules, took on additional projects and completed numerous high level assignments and even presented to executive management and when a promotional opportunity to Sr. Analyst role came up within my team which I clearly deserved, the job posting was put up without even having a conversation with me. I was extremely dedicated to Edmunds, played a lead role in developing our dealer performance tool, performed equivalent if not better quality work of Managers and Sr. Manager's of Analytics & Development yet although I was told that I and my work was valued by the team, the actions didn't follow the words.

Edmunds seems to be having an identity crisis. The company built its reputation as a great resource for consumers to find information and reviews about vehicles. Over the past couple years, the company has cheapened itself to more of an advertising/car buying oriented website and drastic organizational changes are made hastily every few months to try to compete with pure automotive buying/selling websites such as TrueCar.

Be aware of favoritism and HEAVY politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen a talented person comes along, treat them well if you value them and want to keep them around. Providing fresh fruit in the mornings and buying neat looking office furniture probably isn't what will keep them around.

Great recovery from year 2000 tumult

Creative Director (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsGreat research and data organization, having pioneered web based analytics, car searches, data syndication, advertising. Comp is fair. Leadership much improved by Avi Steinlauf.

ConsMy info i based on early experience. Once a politically divided company, Edmunds has united under Avi. Turnover seems to have flattened to normal range.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore video, align with Google earth, HTML 5 virtual drives in your 'hood using various vehicles.

Could be a fun place to work but the politics / family favors are tough to overcome

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsGreat Santa Monica location, decent benefits, some intelligent underpaid middle managers that were fun to work with.

ConsFar lower than average dot.com pay, ancient owner that is still living in a 70's/80's billboard state of mind influencing both the CEO (son) and COO (family consigliere), little understanding of why competitors are winning on a better value proposition and little action taken to rectify the situation, half baked initiatives that are incompetently pushed through by anointed (kiss ups not merit earned) senior management merely trying to justify their existence and even for them medicore pay. Edmunds reliance on pure A/B website metrics without taking into account simple exogenous variables such as competitor moves, natural weather disasters, regional sales trends was appallingly blind.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company while you can.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience. Great benefits

Technical Analyst (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsLoved being able to work from home and take regular vacation days.

ConsToo many spontaneous projects direction changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your teams contribute to the strategic decision making

Executive management at Edmunds is clueless with no morals.

Director IT (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsThere are a lot of smart people at Edmunds and the compensation levels are fairly decent.

ConsExecutive management is clueless. zero work life balance. Raises and career opportunities are given out based on favoritism instead of merit.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting clueless executives and giving everyone executive director/VP titles.

Inexperienced, Political, Back Stabbing Management

Account Manager (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsROWE
    Smart and great coworkers (for the most part)
    Events

ConsIt doesn't matter if you're doing the job right, all that matters if you're doing what the Sales team wants.
    Treated like a fifth class citizen by the sales team and your management won't back you up because they got to their position by kissing up to the sales team. Some management have not embraced ROWE and therefore look down on and penalize those who utilize it.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit giving sales people all the power in the company.
    Promote not based on relationships or people who do not know how to manage a team.
    If ROWE is promoted management should not have the attitude that working from home is a privilege versus the way of the company.

Easy to fly under the radar, but not much room for advancement.

Product Manager (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsGreat location in Santa Monica, generous benefits, flexible schedule with the availability to work from home. For the most part people are pleasant. The overall is pay tends to be higher than the market.

ConsThere's a very tight circle in upper management and if you're not in that circle don't expect any favors. Most of the promotions tend to be the same people within that circle.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow people the flexibility to do their job, but at the same time hold them accountable for their actions and performance. Moderate the politics.

A dry docked ship with too many captains

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsROWE (Results Only Work Environment)

An openness to trying new methodologies (Design Thinking, Lean Start In, ROWE, Agile, the list grows monthly)

Santa Monica office design

Fruit in the mornings and espresso machine

Events

Many talented people (many underutilized)

The HR team is one of the best.

Edmunds could be a really great place to work long-term if some of the negative and inexperienced management were shed.

ConsWith the talent mentioned above, there is also a lot of dead weight. Too much middle management, many with little to no experience who aren't good, but have the right alliances. Politics weigh very heavily in certain departments. Overall, it's a very status quo place and I would often avoid telling people where I worked out of embarrassment because the website is such a fragmented and outdated experience.

I mention ROWE above in the Pros. HR has embraced it, some departments have embraced it, but many in management (both middle and upper) have not. Something to consider if it's a deciding factor in taking a position here or not. Many who have embraced ROWE as it was taught aren't looked upon favorably.

Touching upon the openness to new methodologies, it's much like a child at Christmas. Excited because something is new and fresh, then it's quickly discarded for whatever the next big thing is. It's not only impossible to keep up and stay enthusiastic. It ends up being a big waste of time and money. Pick something good and live with it. let it evolve for your specific uses.

To the point of my review title, Edmunds is a very "design by committee" environment. It is also very heavily driven by the product team and VPs. It felt like every opportunity to make positive change has been cut short, then there's a 180 degree pivot. When you pivot that many times, you obviously don't get very far.

There are also a number of executives that you find yourself wondering "how on earth did they get this job?" One, who will remain anonymous, was fired from their last job and endured a mutiny at their previous job because their team was so fed up with poor management. This person isn't doing any better by their employees at Edmunds, but is considered some kind of thought leader amongst their peers. Go figure.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor all the things Edmunds wants to be, it is one of the slowest and least agile workplaces I've experienced.

If you really think you're going to change from a research driven site to a shopping site, you need to hire an actual expert in e-commerce to partner with Seth and shake things up. Make a REAL difference with a subject matter expert with proven results.

Seth and Avi are likable and intelligent leaders. Make a better connection directly with the employees to keep them inspired. The continued barriers of VP level folks between you and the employees will lead to the undoing of Edmunds. There is a lot of untapped talent at your fingertips. While others are handsomely rewarded for knowing how to play smoke and mirrors.

The folks who have lead the charge the past 9 months aren't the ones who will keep you competitive. Some have been there too long, some I wonder if their references were even checked. It's definitely been a great lesson in "what not to do" from an executive leadership standpoint.

Okay. Good old boys club (great if you are in it, but bad for everyone else)

Manager (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsROWE (Results Only Work Environment) Work from where you want and when you want.

ConsROWE. You no longer have vacation days, and are always on the clock. Executive very disorganized. Changing directions of the company on a daily basis and layoffs every year. "Good ole boys club". If you are in it, good for you, if not, you are disposable regardless of how hard you work. Promotions based on relationships and not on performance. Very Sad

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to a game plan and make it work. Stop promoting based on relationships rather on performance.

Open and positive company

Intern (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsThe Santa Monica HQ is a great office space. The company works its hardest to give its clients the best shopping experience possible. The company's goal is to have people who truly care about their work thriving in this environment.

ConsIt's hard to take both the wishes of the dealers and the consumers to heart, and usually this results in a very confusing product.

Worked for Edmunds.com? Contribute to the Community!