Educate Online

Updated Jun 12, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Carol Vallone

Great for Scheduling but lots changed with the loss of SES

Support (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

Prosjust wonderful- a great team, great vibe, great hours, great management, *work from home*

Consloss of direction once SES went away. General loneliness being a worker at your own house. Going on travel calls to various school districts proved to be somewhat of a boondoggle too.

Struggling to find its way in the marketplace, but with a unique proposition that fils a real need.

ProsThe energy and talent available in the team to position the concept and the platform in the marketplace is there in many respects. The proposition of live, online instruction being available as scheduled, specifically tailored to skill gaps of each student is a gap in the marketplace that can do some real good.

ConsThere are not enough resources available to get done what they need to in order to deliver on what they are promising currently, and the challenges with getting the platform ready to deliver for the future market opportunities are daunting.

Advice to Senior ManagementClearly layout and commit to what you have to deliver to the market. Make sure that you are resourced operationally to deliver on what is promised, and hold the internal development team accountability to deadlines that are set for entry into the market.

Company restructure was needed and new business model is headed in the right direction.

ProsExcellent pay and benefits for full time staff. Ability to work from home. Empowerment to own your area and be heard. New roles have provided upward mobility for many. Smart and passionate employee base.

ConsLong hours. Business is seasonal and the peak season brings A LOT of work and stress. Can be challenging to work with large groups due to folks being remotely based and varying work schedules.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work developing the business and don't forget to communicate.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rewarding, positive, and energetic!

Education Team (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsI work from home and impact the lives of students and instructors every day! I get to be a part of cutting edge practices in education and educational technology every day. EO uses several means of interacting and communicating to ensure a well rounded and informative atmosphere.

ConsCollaboration could be better facilitated company wide.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees, promote from within, and keep the lines of communication open.

I love my job!

Online Instructor (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsEveryone at Educate Online is very friendly and helpful! You are never left to feel like you are alone despite never really working with anyone in the company face to face. They truly strive to meet their mission and vision. I really enjoy working with a diverse group of students!

ConsThere isn't a whole lot of room for career growth and you are only able to work part time as a remote employee. The pay is comparable to similar positions in other companies; however, I still feel that it is below the worth of the teachers and what they do. Hours are not stable, although there is opportunity to pick up additional hours at times.

What could be a great company is going downhill

Online Instructor (Current Employee)

ProsColleagues are fantastic if you are able to get to know them. The students are wonderful, the online resources are top-of-the-line, and it is nice to have flexibility in scheduling. I love being able to completely tailor lessons to fit the student's needs; I feel as if I am able to contribute to the field of education as an online teacher.

ConsManagement does not value their employees. I have been a dedicated employee for several years. In that time, I have received several promotions and performed very well in each position; as a teacher, I have received stellar scores on every evaluation conductedl. Yet, I have been let go from every position except for teacher with little communication or support. Management delivers these decisions with a callous/uncaring tone. There is no "climbing the ladder", because as soon as you do, you are knocked back down to rung #1. I have been in this situation multiple times regardless of my high performance with this company...it makes for poor morale and is appalling and unacceptable as a business platform. I maintain my employment because I am 100% dedicated to our students, though I am sad to say my dedication to the company has waned dramatically as a result of how they handle their employees. While my review may be taken as "sour grapes", I unfortunately have many colleagues who feel the same way.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease care about your employees. Don't take away opportunities from people who have truly earned them, and if a restructure is necessary, please consider how you can let people go with some sort of empathy and appreciation--ideally in the form of actual communication.

Once good company is falling slowly but surely.

ProsAve the ability to work from home. This is a plus for someone who wants to work from home.

ConsWhat started out as a good company who put students and teachers first is failing. Students are not being served well. Students are suppose to get instruction to help them advance in their learning, but lessons are being pushed with out the proper foundations first. Contracts are not being followed. Teachers are now being punished if students fail to show up. What job would require you to come to work and then say "sorry you don't get paid because some did not show up." Teachers are capped at 29 hours. Teachers who are promoted to other roles then demoted back to teaching role with little notice. Communication with teachers is poor and the over all moral is poor. They view their teaching staff as disposable.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your teaching staff with respect.

Negative Climate and Poor Leadership

(Former Employee)

ProsWonderfully talented and dedicated teachers are employed with this company. Unfortunately, when they are hired they are not aware that their hard work, dedication, loyalty, and passion will go unrecognized.

ConsStrong leadership is not present. Delegation is the name of the game. Interested in climbing the ladder? Don't bother. You will be knocked down. Management breeds disrespect and a negative culture. What was once a great work-from-home opportunity turned into a 24/7 job in which one is expected to be available every moment of every day. Think you are paid for all that time? Think again. If you are looking for a profit- driven, cold, negative environment...this is the place for you! If you are an educator looking for a job in the education field. Keep searching.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like they make a difference, and they will. We understand that companies restructure and people are often let go. That is not the issue. When you have staff that have made personal sacrifices for almost a decade to make the company what it is today, they deserve to be let go with respect, gratitude, and a heart-felt thank you. Not a cold, callous phone call and a mass produced email. Because of your behavior I would never recommend anyone for employment with you, nor would I encourage anyone to sign on as students. Shameful.

Technical Support Rep II

Technical Support Representative II (Current Employee)

ProsEasy work, low workload. Decent PTO and benefits package for those few lucky enough to get full time status.

ConsI have been an employee for several years, going through a couple of transitions including the separation from Educate, Inc (Sylvan). The company made numerous promises and commitments which were not kept. There was a very cavalier attitude of "oh well we just aren't going to do that" without any empathy or concern that they couldn't or wouldn't keep their commitments. There is no policy for annual reviews. No job description and duties fluctuate from level 1 customer service to special projects with expectations to use personal skills far beyond the job scope without additional compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementLike has been said in previous reviews, learn to respect and appreciate the employees at non-management levels. We are the worker bees who do the tasks that keep the company functioning on a daily basis. Management has created and filled approximately a dozen additional 100K+ management level positions in the last 18 months without offering raises to the hourly employees.

Views employees as disposable.

ProsWork from home, flexible hours, no lesson planning or parent conferences.

ConsManagement doesn't care about it's employees. Dedication and hard work don't matter. When it suits their purpose they will toss you out without a second thought. I've seen it over and over and over again.

Low pay and no performance raises.

Worked for Educate Online? Contribute to the Community!