Educate Online

Updated August 26, 2014
Updated August 26, 2014
3.4

Carol Vallone

Great online work at home teaching position!

I have been working at Educate Online for less than a year

Pros

Love the ability to work from home and create my own schedule. Enjoyed working with the various students across the levels and the country.

Cons

Business is seasonal. Peak brings a lot of work, but off peak is very slow.

Need more flexibility with master schedule.

Sep 9, 2014Director of Human Resources

The release of the next gen platform will include a new scheduling system that will allow for weekly changes to the instructors' master schedule. We hope to launch the system sometime next year.

Fun, positive people to work with, and you can be creative in motivating students&tailoring instruction to their needs.

Current Employee - Online Tutor
    Current Employee - Online Tutor

I have been working at Educate Online as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Good training, lessons provided, but room left for individualization. Flexible schedule and ehlpful support with the technology. the students are delightful as well.

Cons

Amount of work is not consistent--contract dependent.

Keep up the good work! I am glad for your positive presence in the educational arena. The game room is a positive motivator, when used properly, as in only for the last five minutes of a session. I love the sturcture of the lessons--fast-paced, clear and fun to teach!

Little Respect for Employees

I have been working at Educate Online

Pros

The students are fantastic, the online classroom platform is easy to use and very motivating for both student and teacher, colleagues are absolutely wonderful, working at home makes scheduling flexible, able to stay connected to education in a cutting-edge framework

Cons

I have worked for Educate Online for over 8 years. I have seen the best and the worst of Educate Online, having worked in many departments for the company. Unfortunately, management does not promote a positive morale at all. I have earned multiple promotions only to be abruptly relieved of my duties with no notice, appreciation, or future contact. I have been cut off and ostracized from folks who were very close colleagues as a result. Others with much less experience than I took my place in many of these instances; when I asked HR for clarification or an explanation, I was informed they were not allowed to release any additional information. I have exhibited nothing but extreme dedication to this company and have lost all faith in it. I continue to remain employed with Educate Online to maintain a connection with our wonderful students, though I am anticipating resignation with the onset of a new position with a different company. It is utterly sad to me that a company, who has the potential to bring together amazing educators across the company to truly impact student progress, views their teachers are disposable. I am sad for the folks I brought into this company, as personal recommendations or as part of the interviewing/hiring team, because they most likely do not know this is the perspective EO has of its employees.

I don't know that giving advice would make any difference. There is no compassion for the teachers. We understand restructures are necessary. We also want to be valued for our dedication, time, effort, and commitment. If we are deserving of a promotion, grant it. If we must be cut because of the business platform, be sincere and caring rather than cold and callous. A few others have used that word, and it really is fitting. I am sad this is what has become of this company.

Sep 9, 2014Director of Human Resources

We encourage you to reach back out to the Human Resources department to discuss your grievances at any time. We don't recall your specific instance with the details provided, but we are always ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great for Scheduling but lots changed with the loss of SES

Former Employee - Support  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Support in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Educate Online part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

just wonderful- a great team, great vibe, great hours, great management, *work from home*

Cons

loss of direction once SES went away. General loneliness being a worker at your own house. Going on travel calls to various school districts proved to be somewhat of a boondoggle too.

Company restructure was needed and new business model is headed in the right direction.

I have been working at Educate Online full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits for full time staff. Ability to work from home. Empowerment to own your area and be heard. New roles have provided upward mobility for many. Smart and passionate employee base.

Cons

Long hours. Business is seasonal and the peak season brings A LOT of work and stress. Can be challenging to work with large groups due to folks being remotely based and varying work schedules.

Keep up the good work developing the business and don't forget to communicate.

Struggling to find its way in the marketplace, but with a unique proposition that fils a real need.

I have been working at Educate Online

Pros

The energy and talent available in the team to position the concept and the platform in the marketplace is there in many respects. The proposition of live, online instruction being available as scheduled, specifically tailored to skill gaps of each student is a gap in the marketplace that can do some real good.

Cons

There are not enough resources available to get done what they need to in order to deliver on what they are promising currently, and the challenges with getting the platform ready to deliver for the future market opportunities are daunting.

Clearly layout and commit to what you have to deliver to the market. Make sure that you are resourced operationally to deliver on what is promised, and hold the internal development team accountability to deadlines that are set for entry into the market.

I love my job!

Current Employee - Online Instructor  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Online Instructor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Educate Online part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Everyone at Educate Online is very friendly and helpful! You are never left to feel like you are alone despite never really working with anyone in the company face to face. They truly strive to meet their mission and vision. I really enjoy working with a diverse group of students!

Cons

There isn't a whole lot of room for career growth and you are only able to work part time as a remote employee. The pay is comparable to similar positions in other companies; however, I still feel that it is below the worth of the teachers and what they do. Hours are not stable, although there is opportunity to pick up additional hours at times.

Rewarding, positive, and energetic!

Current Employee - Education Team  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Education Team in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Educate Online full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I work from home and impact the lives of students and instructors every day! I get to be a part of cutting edge practices in education and educational technology every day. EO uses several means of interacting and communicating to ensure a well rounded and informative atmosphere.

Cons

Collaboration could be better facilitated company wide.

Value your employees, promote from within, and keep the lines of communication open.

What could be a great company is going downhill

Current Employee - Online Instructor
    Current Employee - Online Instructor

I have been working at Educate Online part-time

Pros

Colleagues are fantastic if you are able to get to know them. The students are wonderful, the online resources are top-of-the-line, and it is nice to have flexibility in scheduling. I love being able to completely tailor lessons to fit the student's needs; I feel as if I am able to contribute to the field of education as an online teacher.

Cons

Management does not value their employees. I have been a dedicated employee for several years. In that time, I have received several promotions and performed very well in each position; as a teacher, I have received stellar scores on every evaluation conductedl. Yet, I have been let go from every position except for teacher with little communication or support. Management delivers these decisions with a callous/uncaring tone. There is no "climbing the ladder", because as soon as you do, you are knocked back down to rung #1. I have been in this situation multiple times regardless of my high performance with this company...it makes for poor morale and is appalling and unacceptable as a business platform. I maintain my employment because I am 100% dedicated to our students, though I am sad to say my dedication to the company has waned dramatically as a result of how they handle their employees. While my review may be taken as "sour grapes", I unfortunately have many colleagues who feel the same way.

Please care about your employees. Don't take away opportunities from people who have truly earned them, and if a restructure is necessary, please consider how you can let people go with some sort of empathy and appreciation--ideally in the form of actual communication.

Sep 9, 2014Director of Human Resources

The HR department has championed for instructors over the past two years. A solid partnership has been established between the Education team and Human Resources. Pay rates have been increased ... More

Technical Support Rep II

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative II
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative II

I have been working at Educate Online full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Easy work, low workload. Decent PTO and benefits package for those few lucky enough to get full time status.

Cons

I have been an employee for several years, going through a couple of transitions including the separation from Educate, Inc (Sylvan). The company made numerous promises and commitments which were not kept. There was a very cavalier attitude of "oh well we just aren't going to do that" without any empathy or concern that they couldn't or wouldn't keep their commitments. There is no policy for annual reviews. No job description and duties fluctuate from level 1 customer service to special projects with expectations to use personal skills far beyond the job scope without additional compensation.

Like has been said in previous reviews, learn to respect and appreciate the employees at non-management levels. We are the worker bees who do the tasks that keep the company functioning on a daily basis. Management has created and filled approximately a dozen additional 100K+ management level positions in the last 18 months without offering raises to the hourly employees.

Sep 9, 2014Director of Human Resources

Our compensation policy is to hire employees at a competitive rate/salary that is above market rate. If someone takes on more responsibilities, the market rate for the role increases, or the job ... More

Worked for Educate Online? Contribute to the Community!