www.educate-online.com

3.1

Carol Vallone

Current Employee - Online Instructor in Gary, IN
    Current Employee - Online Instructor in Gary, IN

I have been working at Educate Online part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Training, work hours, philosophy, dedicated administrative staff, professionalism by all staff

Cons

Inconsistency, money/salaries, none at this time

Improve contracts with clients, provide more full time employment opportunities for insiders.

Disappointed.

Current Employee - Online Instructor
    Current Employee - Online Instructor

I have been working at Educate Online part-time (more than an year)

Pros

When I was hired, I had an excellent Trainer and Lead Instructor. The Trainer made sure I understood how to operate the EO software before I went live. And the Lead Instructor kept me informed on what was going on in the company. And if I had any questions, she would answer them. I found the Support Staff to be very professional. I didn't have that many problems with my payroll.

Cons

Then almost half-way through 2014, EO changed. I no longer had a Lead Instructor, and it just seemed like things weren't as well run as they were before. I did not feel I was kept up-to-date on what was going on in the company. I was not given as many sessions to teach as before. I experienced more problems with my payroll. It's been almost 3 months (August to October), and I still haven't taught a session. I don't know how they can stay in business when there's hardly any sessions being taught for that long period of time. It's no wonder the instructor's salary is so low. Maybe EO should pay the employees responsible for renegotiating its contracts less money instead of paying the instructors such a low salary.

Pay your instructors more money, do a better job of renegotiating contracts (or don't depend on one school district for so many sessions), and offer more career advancements.

Oct 21, 2014Director of Human Resources

To Disappointed Employee,

We're sorry to hear your experience later in the year has not been positive. There was a company meeting in April that instructors were invited to attend. We acknowledged
    ... More

Cliquey and disorganized at best

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Educate Online full-time (more than an year)

Pros

perks, reimbursement for out of pocket expenses

Cons

Office culture was lacking. There was a lot of behind the scenes backstabbing. Cronyism played a huge part in who got hired and who stayed when there were layoffs, so often people with the least ability and skills hold higher positions which has led to a really poor product and reprehensible process structures.

Get on the same page with the industry and stop trying to fake it.

Online instructor

Current Employee - Online Teacher
    Current Employee - Online Teacher

I have been working at Educate Online as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've been with the company for many years and have seen numerous changes!!! And while I don't like changes myself - "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" I've stayed with the company because I do enjoy my work. I've held numerous positions and have determined that teachers will always be needed!!!

Love the flexible schedule, was really looking forward to being able to schedule myself (I see that has all been postponed until next year), love working with various ages and stages of students.
    I've enjoyed teaching since I graduated in 1971 and while I have retired twice now, I really enjoy being able to still make a difference in students' lives.

Cons

The latest change has been very disheartening for me and my fellow instructors... morale is at an all time low due to lack of teams and communication with the teachers. This is the first time in my history with the company that we have been kept out of the loop...
    The raises that we got were the same for every instructor - no matter how long they had been with the company and beginning teachers start out at the same rate that we did when I started.

I was very upset to see friends that I had worked with or trained - just discarded without any thought for the years of service they had given the company. I've heard this is the corporate way but I'm sorry - it really doesn't bode well for us to recommend the company to our friends...

WHO is our CEO: What direction is the company moving in? What contracts can we expect this school year - specifically fall??? Who is actually in charge of each department and what is the structure for these departments?
    Do we even have any teams now? Team Leaders? WHO are my co-workers?

I feel like I'm just drifting out in the middle of the ocean with no one else in sight!!!

Sep 18, 2014Director of Human Resources

We are sincerely grateful for your many years of service through various administrations. The recent decisions that you refer to were made with months of notice and were not done without care or ... More

Great online work at home teaching position!

I have been working at Educate Online (less than an year)

Pros

Love the ability to work from home and create my own schedule. Enjoyed working with the various students across the levels and the country.

Cons

Business is seasonal. Peak brings a lot of work, but off peak is very slow.

Need more flexibility with master schedule.

Sep 9, 2014Director of Human Resources

The release of the next gen platform will include a new scheduling system that will allow for weekly changes to the instructors' master schedule. We hope to launch the system sometime next year.

Fun, positive people to work with, and you can be creative in motivating students&tailoring instruction to their needs.

Current Employee - Online Tutor
    Current Employee - Online Tutor

I have been working at Educate Online as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good training, lessons provided, but room left for individualization. Flexible schedule and ehlpful support with the technology. the students are delightful as well.

Cons

Amount of work is not consistent--contract dependent.

Keep up the good work! I am glad for your positive presence in the educational arena. The game room is a positive motivator, when used properly, as in only for the last five minutes of a session. I love the sturcture of the lessons--fast-paced, clear and fun to teach!

Hired, worked, trained and never got paid

Former Employee - Tutor
    Former Employee - Tutor

I worked at Educate Online as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The students I spoke with in training were polite and wanted to learn. It was nice being able to try and help them even when some had low skill levels coming in.

Cons

I was assured of pay for my training time, which I never received (I was paid for my two live sessions, not for the 8 hours of actual training I accomplished). Their scheduling system is archaic and difficult to navigate, so when I finally put hours in I was logged in and attempting to work but not being paid for my time when I did work...and if no students show up for your slated time, you also receive no pay. So essentially I worked for free when I did have work and was not paid when I didn't. Emails to HR and management for help and calls to Support went unanswered or I was told they didn't know what the problem was and could not help me. I presume I no longer work there since I've still not had a response except for an occasional "here's what's happening!" newsletter, and to this day am still owed my back pay. I would be satisfied just with that and being told I no longer have a job, but neither appear to be forthcoming.

Be open and honest. Pay people for time worked, get an efficient system that doesn't require a PhD in computers to navigate, and if an employee is not a good fit for the company, be up front with him or her rather than allowing them to believe they still have work when they do not.

Sep 22, 2014Director of Human Resources

This issue comes up from time to time. In order to be paid for trainings, time must be entered into the timesheet system or else we have no way of knowing what is owed due to the volume of employees ... More

Little Respect for Employees

I have been working at Educate Online

Pros

The students are fantastic, the online classroom platform is easy to use and very motivating for both student and teacher, colleagues are absolutely wonderful, working at home makes scheduling flexible, able to stay connected to education in a cutting-edge framework

Cons

I have worked for Educate Online for over 8 years. I have seen the best and the worst of Educate Online, having worked in many departments for the company. Unfortunately, management does not promote a positive morale at all. I have earned multiple promotions only to be abruptly relieved of my duties with no notice, appreciation, or future contact. I have been cut off and ostracized from folks who were very close colleagues as a result. Others with much less experience than I took my place in many of these instances; when I asked HR for clarification or an explanation, I was informed they were not allowed to release any additional information. I have exhibited nothing but extreme dedication to this company and have lost all faith in it. I continue to remain employed with Educate Online to maintain a connection with our wonderful students, though I am anticipating resignation with the onset of a new position with a different company. It is utterly sad to me that a company, who has the potential to bring together amazing educators across the company to truly impact student progress, views their teachers are disposable. I am sad for the folks I brought into this company, as personal recommendations or as part of the interviewing/hiring team, because they most likely do not know this is the perspective EO has of its employees.

I don't know that giving advice would make any difference. There is no compassion for the teachers. We understand restructures are necessary. We also want to be valued for our dedication, time, effort, and commitment. If we are deserving of a promotion, grant it. If we must be cut because of the business platform, be sincere and caring rather than cold and callous. A few others have used that word, and it really is fitting. I am sad this is what has become of this company.

Sep 9, 2014Director of Human Resources

We encourage you to reach back out to the Human Resources department to discuss your grievances at any time. We don't recall your specific instance with the details provided, but we are always ... More

Great for Scheduling but lots changed with the loss of SES

Former Employee - Support in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Support in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Educate Online part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

just wonderful- a great team, great vibe, great hours, great management, *work from home*

Cons

loss of direction once SES went away. General loneliness being a worker at your own house. Going on travel calls to various school districts proved to be somewhat of a boondoggle too.

Struggling to find its way in the marketplace, but with a unique proposition that fils a real need.

I have been working at Educate Online

Pros

The energy and talent available in the team to position the concept and the platform in the marketplace is there in many respects. The proposition of live, online instruction being available as scheduled, specifically tailored to skill gaps of each student is a gap in the marketplace that can do some real good.

Cons

There are not enough resources available to get done what they need to in order to deliver on what they are promising currently, and the challenges with getting the platform ready to deliver for the future market opportunities are daunting.

Clearly layout and commit to what you have to deliver to the market. Make sure that you are resourced operationally to deliver on what is promised, and hold the internal development team accountability to deadlines that are set for entry into the market.