Education Corporation of America

1. Director of Real Estate Development

Former Employee - Director of Real Estate Development in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Director of Real Estate Development in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Education Corporation of America

Pros

Very good leaders, sound company with a great return on it's investments. Offers a service that is really needed in the United States today.

Cons

Too many bureacratic processes, takes a long time to get anything done! Company has a lot of different department that have a hard time working together.

Advice to Management

Never Give Up. Never Give Up. Never Give Up. Never Give Up. Never Give Up. Never Give Up. Never Give Up.

2. Staff Accountant

Current Employee - IV Staff Accountant in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - IV Staff Accountant in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Education Corporation of America (More than a year)

Pros

Started out great. Not super complicated, decent pay and good benefits.

Cons

Not much upward movement available

3. Great experience, but leadership lacks

I worked at Education Corporation of America full-time

Pros

Pay is ok, but when you're in education, you have to have a passion for working in this environment.

Cons

This is a for-profit school, so the curriculum and decisions are made based on the company making more money, not necessarily on what's best for the student.

5. Instructor

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at Education Corporation of America (Less than a year)

Pros

Love to teach the students

Cons

Pay is very low in accordance with the knowledge base and nature of work.

6. Enrollment Specialist

Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Education Corporation of America full-time

Pros

GREAT pay, fast paced environment, lots of potential to accrue overtime, etc

Cons

Training provided is poor at best, SALES job, little to no advancement opportunities, no work - life balance, benefits are mid-range to poor, HIGH turnover within department, no consistency from management, etc

Advice to Management

"Leads to persistence" is NOT an accurate way to critique an ES's skills and effectiveness. It just puts way too much stress on each individual and doesn't promote good incoming students. There needs to be more communication between departments. It has just become a numbers game...the success of the students doesn't seem to matter anymore.

7. I Grew Along With the Company and Students

Former Employee - Marketing in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Marketing in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Education Corporation of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My department wasn't micro managed at the time, there has since been a change in management and I left for a better opportunity. I loved the openness of the culture and never felt like I couldn't speak up in a meeting.

Cons

New people replaced some of the old and things started to become more micro managed and the new people had something to prove, while some did nothing but collect a paycheck. I left because of lack of growth opportunities after doing a lot of great work during their growth phase. Pay was not very well either. I made 15K MORE on my next job with the same title and less responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Value your longtime employees. This means actual raises, no 4% and below insults. Provide growth opportunities for long term employees. Higher for profit education is a tricky vertical that takes time to learn and fully understand so each time you lose someone you have to begin a long process of training the next. How much money does that cost and Is it worth it?

8. Standard corporate atmosphere with little upward mobility.

I have been working at Education Corporation of America

Pros

Work-life balance...manager allows flexible hours as long as you provide ample notice.

Cons

Lack of personal growth, constant job security issues due to the industry environment. Lack of transparency from upper management.

It had great potential; alas, no longer.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Education Corporation of America

Pros

This used to be a company that gave you the freedom to perform your job, accomplish your goals, and allow you to be an active participant in the growth of the company. There were opportunities for training, and there was an apprentice-like attitude towards learning new systems and parts of the business. This company cared about matching the right skills with the culture, and that made it a pleasure to get up and go to work each day. People believed in the direction the leadership took, and it was easy to maintain a morale and a positive outlook. Without these opportunities, I would not have the skills that I have today.

Cons

After the upper C-level changed in 2013, this company no longer made and effort to show their employees that they were still valuable. The emphasis on a fit with the culture was forgotten about. Your job was micro-managed, and opportunities that were committed to were reneged on. Valuable, long-standing relationships were also burned because it saved the company a few pennies. Glad I got out while I could.

In Consolidation Mode

I worked at Education Corporation of America

Pros

Helping working adults get a higher ed degree. Smart people. Great company. Senior management understands industry and the challenges involved in the for-profit educational space.

Cons

Upper management is a good old boys club. My manager spent most of the time managing up and ignoring staff. Very little transparency among the mid and senior levels. The industry is forcing the company to reorganize continually to address new federal regulations.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to be more transparent with staffers. They need to provide the vision for the company so that the employees know what they are working towards..

Student Advisor

Former Employee - Student Advisor in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Student Advisor in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Education Corporation of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers. Plenty of work needing to be done with less people to get it done and minimal pay. No pay increase structure.

Cons

They will lay you off without notice so beware. Whatever you do, if you are considering about enrolling at Virginia College, Please take my advice and STAY AWAY. This school is just one Money Hungry School and does not care about you or your EDUCATION. Do not attend this college! Their sweet innocent personalities hide the money hungry beasts that lie within that awful facility.

Advice to Management

Respect your dedicated, over worked staff.

RSS Feed </> Embed