Education Inc. Reviews

Reset
2.8
Kenneth Munies

A great learning experience

I worked at Education Inc.

Pros

Reaching a population that is not serviced in regular education is a gift. The recruiters find valuable team members that have hearts of gold and will support you through thick and thin.

Cons

Did you notice all of the positive reviews with 5 stars were on or around the end of July? Aka they got word of the past negative reviews and asked for employees to post. Pay is not competitive. Forget about asking for a raise Growth in the company is hard to come by unless you become buddy buddy with supervisors.

Advice to Management

Look at your valuable teachers and figure out a way to keep them. So many fantastic teachers moved on to bigger and better because of lack of recognition.

Unfulfilling

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Boston, MA

I worked at Education Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The student population Ed. Inc. serves are often lively and challenging, and an enjoyable group to work with in an non-traditional setting.

Cons

The company is incredibly inconsistent and unprofessional with their dealings with students, schools, and their own employees. A teacher may be sent to a different sight with little notice and the company struggles to cover for absent teachers or those who have left. Each student feels as though there is a dollar sign put over their head.

Advice to Management

Separate teacher roles from business. Teachers want to teach. Division of roles and more open discussion will help reduce the unacceptable turnover rate. The score card system is also demeaning rather than inspiring, as it is meant to be.

Dont get fooled.

Former Employee - Teacher in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Teacher in Newark, NJ

I worked at Education Inc.

Pros

The hospital was great. Loved the hospital staff. If you do your job well kids will learn from you. Gave me a chance.

Cons

Where to start. First off I thank EI for giving me a chance. It started out great. Oh waited after being hired and my 3 day on the job my trainer decided to air her dirty laundry about former and current employees. Of course you should expect to be talk about behind your back. Not by co-workers but upper management. Work: I think they care about the kids but they care more about money. I was told multiple time to bill for snow days. Also you becomes a sales person and your job is not only to teach but negotiating rates. Im a teacher not a sales rep. My favorite part of the job is how it is our fault if we dont reach billable hours. Even if our census is low or kids are sick we are expected to fill our hours and if you dont fill your hours you wont get a raise and you wont be a A Player. One week i had double my billable hours and i was a hero, next week a bunch of kids get discharged and now i need to improve in my job. What changed. The money i was bringing in. A coworker and I use to joke saying do they expect us to drive around Camden and pick kids off the street so we can reach pur billable hours. Like i said hospital staff loved me, said i was one of their best teacher but upper management never liked me. I didnt take on multiple projects, i took days off during hurricane sandy, and and i only said to 430 and not 530. I was told i was not a team player because i said they should offer us medical benefits. When i finally told them i was leaving the hospital manager told me they would speak with my bosses and demand benefits and a raise for me. And they said i was a bad employee. Turnover was so quick they had to make first year employees managers. I would still be there if it was for upper management because i loved where i worked.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. We are on the grind each day and we know what to do. Worry about the kids more and less about the money.

Taught me what I DON'T want in a job...

I worked at Education Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The teachers. They are amazing and do not get enough credit. They were wonderful to work with and I truly enjoyed working with them. Also, the students. Though this is a non-traditional work environment, I loved spending time in the classroom and getting to know all of the students. Seeing them light up and get excited to see me was a great perk of the job.

Cons

If I had all day to formulate this list, I could go on and on.... But, I don't. I came from a work environment that was like a family. Supportive, open, trustworthy, and positive. This was the exact opposite. The upper management micromanages everything. Every hire, every report, every decision. They would act like your ideas matter, and then never follow through or criticize them after. I could not grow as a leader because they did not allow me enough room to support my team differently or change anything. As for my training, it was non-existent. The CEO and HR Director met with me and asked ME to create a training map for myself. Isn't that the job of the supervisor? How am I supposed to know what to teach myself if I have never done this before? Shouldn't this have been planned weeks in advance to my starting? Guess not... Instead I was given an abundance of business books and told to read them all and be an "A Player." I never had any real clue what I was doing. I was also under the impression that I would be overseeing teachers, working in classrooms, helping with teaching operations, but instead I spent the summer being a hiring scout. The turnover in the company is so high I could not believe it. Almost every teacher leaves after a year, if they can stand it. I had zero time to help my staff learn and grow, because I was too busy trying to desperately convince people to take a job with us. Not to mention, the entire interview process is the biggest joke. Phone interview, two in-person interviews, entire day trial runs, and references? For a person who will leave in a year? It was impossible to fill all of the spots with such a lengthy process. Another aspect of this job that was "misconstrued" was the salary and benefits. I was told when interviewing it was a salary of $50,000, but when I was hired it was $42,000 with a "possibility" of earning $9,000+ in "performance-based incentives." Well, when I asked how often they received full incentives I was told almost 80% of the time. Seemed pretty legit right? NO. After talking to older employees, they said they NEVER received incentives or only received them once and it was about $100-200.... They also forget to mention that to receive this incentive you have to have an evaluation completed and be an "A Player" which is almost impossible to achieve. When I was completing evaluations of my staff using their "scorecard" I had to review them with my supervisor and the HR director. The first time, the HR director said scores were too high, the second time they were too low. So basically it wasn't about the staffs' actual performance, but what the HR director assumed of their performance. I say "assumed" because she almost NEVER saw them in the classroom. The last thing I will go on about is the HR Director. She is absolutely the worst Human Resources person I have EVER worked with. She is not approachable, she is rude, snappy, easily agitated, thinks her way is always the right way, her facial expresses tell you exactly what she is thinking (which was usually something terrifying), and I would never, NEVER, ever feel comfortable approaching her about a work-related issue. When she took 8 weeks off in the summer, most of the staff were happy she was gone. She was so scary that the central office staff were afraid to say the office copier was broken because they would get yelled at..... Seriously? All and all, I was in this position for a very short time. The 7:30am to whenever we stop emailing and calling you for reports, etc, etc. schedule was so overwhelming that I had anxiety so bad I could barely get through a day. I was told to take out piercings and cover tattoos, when most of my students had more then I did. I will honestly say, this job taught me everything I never want to be a part of again. I felt guilty hiring new teachers into such an awful company. I felt as though I was a part of a scheme to use school districts and children with mental illness to make money. It was grimy and deceitful. I will forever work with a non-profit with a clear mission and good hearted employees and never look back at the world of business. There are so many terrible aspects to this company that this review does not even cover all of it. Don't let the fancy ipads and iphones fool you into thinking this is a great gig. Find something else, anything else and save you career and your mental sanity.

Advice to Management

Let go of the reigns. Let your amazing employees share their ideas and follow through with them. Get a new HR Director, one that is kind and welcoming and not so judgmental. Grow with the times! You can still be professional without the power suit. Your company is in the social work industry. Social workers are relatable and not intimidating, take note of that. Stop micromanaging. Trust the people you hire to work for you to get the job done. You would grow faster, move quicker, and learn more if you did. When one person has to approve EVERY hire when every employee has given their two weeks, no wonder everyone is scrambling! Get rid of the 5 rocks every quarter. You never completed all 5. If you are going to do 5 rocks or a strategic plan, keep them for a year or more. If you don't achieve them, continue with them. You through out unfinished goals and added new ones, that is not progress.

Learned a lot

I have been working at Education Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are great, team environment, professional development

Cons

Lack of support, high turnover

No thanks

I have been working at Education Inc.

Pros

The hospital I worked at hired me after being an ed. inc tutor so that I didn't have to work for ed. inc anymore. I got to work with some challenging and awesome kids.

Cons

This is a business, for profit. The only contract they ask you to sign is to make sure you don't compete with their company. The professional development didn't work on best teaching practices , but on how to make the company more money.

Awful.

Current Employee - Hospital Teacher
    Current Employee - Hospital Teacher

I have been working at Education Inc. full-time

Pros

Working in an alternative setting helped me develop classroom management skills. Absolutely loved the setting I was able to work in.

Cons

Constantly understaffed due to the high turnover rate. Also when someone leaves, their work does not, so it gets pushed on someone else until they can hire a new teacher. Everything is all about the money, it doesn't matter if you made a kids day or not but how many billable hours you achieved by the end of the day. The pay is very low with a slim chance of a bonus. Not worth all the stress and worry that comes with the position. Little communication comes from the higher level management and when it does it comes off as pompous. Frustrating because it is such a wonderful concept for a company, it just is not being carried out as it should be.

Advice to Management

Listen to what your teachers have to say when they are having issues with something rather than giving meaningless "encouragement".

Business first then education

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Education Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a good starting job to gain experience as a teacher especially just being out of college. It was rewarding working with students.

Cons

Many times it felt like the business side came first. You have a set of billable tutoring hours you must obtain everyday. Sometimes you might not be able to obtain those hours due to low census, school day holds, patient being pulled out during school time, etc. The higher uppers aren't always very understanding about low billable hours. The only advice they give is "think outside the box" or "build a better relationship with staff". Many times I would feel bad about not being able to reach my goal that I would dread check-in/check-out when we would have to discuss what percent we were at. It was to the point where I became more concerned about those billable hours and what percent I was ending at than improving myself as a teacher. When I first started I wondered why many teachers only stayed a year or two. There is such a huge turn over rate. I now understand why. The pay isn't great, support is available via email, and many times it felt like others were just going through the emotions. Also be prepared to teach for some holidays, school breaks, and snow days. Many companies do regular reviews. I was with EI for about 2 years and I only received one review (scorecard). There is a section for classroom management and I found it strange that they could give me a rate for this area because no one had observed me teach (except when I was first hired over a year ago). How would one know if I maintain a calm and quiet classroom or if goals are reviewed at the beginning of class if you didn't even observe me teach? The company is very concerned about A-players but they really don't take the time to explain how to become one or the steps taken to achieve it. They want everyone to achieve an A on their scorecards but if they don't do regular observations or discussions about scorecards then how serious are they about this A-player buzz word?

Advice to Management

Try to make the business side and the education side feel like equals. Also the scorecards could be updated/revised.

10. Teamwork and Working Towards Improvement

I have been working at Education Inc. full-time

Pros

Education, Inc. serves a population that does not have access to education. It constantly strives to improve its relationships (with schools, hospitals, students, employees) and itself. You work with a group of passionate and supportive individuals.

Cons

EI is a relatively young company that is still growing and learning. Because there are only a several hundred employees medical benefits are a bit expensive..

Good In-Between Position

Former Employee - Teacher in Plymouth, MA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Plymouth, MA

I worked at Education Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are all good people. Everyone is really nice and supportive to help you out. Working with students in a behavioral health hospital is rewarding and challenging but I've had some great experiences working with students. You get experience with students that you normally don't get to work with and it's not a bad place as an in-between college and starting your career as a teacher. If you're good at time management, you can easily not have to bring any work home with you (usually) and can get most of your daily tasks done. There are some days when you feel overwhelmed but that's any job. If you are desperate for teaching experience and have the back bone to deal with some difficult kids, do it.

Cons

Pay is non-competitive and you work all year round. You get like 22 days off for sick/personal/vacation but working through snow days and winter/summer break isn't ideal. There's a rigorous hiring process too. Length spent on administrative tasks outweigh the length spent on actual teaching. Having to read books about business (as a teacher) because your CEO read them at some point is annoying. On your monthly self-evaluation you actually have a category based on reading the books the CEO has read as part of your "growth" and monthly rating. They all want you to focus on your professional development and "growth" but basically it's just an excuse for you to do some more busy work. They love buzz words and doing daily check-in/check-out calls and e-mails and weekly unit calls. It's a business, so as a teacher it's hard adjusting to keeping numbers and profits a priority above teaching kids. I always put the students first regardless. Everyone is overly nice since you talk to most of your colleagues via phone and e-mail, so it sometimes seem put-on and insincere (especially when you hear people be nice to someone on the phone and say something totally different once they hang up). That's life I guess. If you want to move up in this company and get an actual decent salary you're going to have to do everything they company wants, say yes to things you might not want to do, and possibly brown nose a bit in order to get lead teacher/"A" Player/Team Leader/etc. If you want to teach, these are not the most enticing options.

Advice to Management

Pay your teachers more and be more upfront about the teaching to administrative task ratio during the hiring process. Switch up lesson review system by either rotating more reviewers into the scheme or something else.

RSS Feed </> Embed