Education Management Corporation

Add Photos

Edward H. West

38 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Company

Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee)
    Chandler, AZ

ProsGood work hours and great people.

ConsToo much emphasis on getting students in after the deadline...like on the DAY the classes start.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the students choose their start date.

It put food on the table

Admissions Representative (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

Pros-Friendly Coworkers
    -Great pay for the kind of job
    -Decent training

Cons-No room for creativity
    -Boring robotic work after you're molded into the kind of machine EDMC-OHE wants you to be
    -slimey sales tactics - for example their (EDMC'S) biggest practice hammered into employees, is to overcome objections. Thats fine, but when a student who is telling me they cant enroll right now because their mom is in the hospital I was reprimanded for not saying to the potential student, "great! Sounds like you'll have alot of time to do classwork while at the hospital." Sorry, I wont take on the cold calculated aspect of what a poor corporation can be. I'm a human too. Needless to say I up and left, without having a backup job.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a heart. Don't be numbers driven, if your biggest concern is having a quality conversation with potential students, rate the employee on that. Don't treat students as a cash cow.

Run you ragged

Academic Counselor (Former Employee)
    Tempe, AZ

ProsThe pay and the benefits are good if you can stand the culture and the pace. You can get a free education - but you have to be working full time while you get the free education.

ConsManagment does not know which way is up. They change their minds about everything everyday. It is all about who you know. They don't train you very well and then the expect you to know how to do the job.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Some good; some bad...Really bad

Financial Aid Officer (Former Employee)
    Chandler, AZ

ProsGood Hours...nothing more other then that

ConsBenefits are lousy, management (Not all) has no idea what they are doing and do not communicate to the employees on important information. Pay is lousy(way below the industry average in the Phoenix Area).. Some are in a position where they should not be. Most managers do not listen to those who are under them. Managers are never around, in meetings everyday.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to those around you, the ones who actually do the work. Current management needs to look at where they are leading the company, which is not going the right direction. My manager knew I was closing on a new home but I was laid off any way (3 days after I closed).....managers do not fight for their employees. Management needs to communicate to those employees who are going to be laid off before hand so they can get at least apply for other jobs, don't be afraid that those who are getting laid off will leave before their last day, many want that severance check, plus it is easier to find a job when you actually have one.

OK to work there

Technical Support Tier II (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsClean work place, friendly co-worker

ConsA lot pressure from management and constant lay off.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible with your staff, and avoid office policitics

Positive experience and opportunities with the company

Phoenix, AZ

ProsMultiple locations around the company, great product - education, great employee benefits, opportunities to grow in different career areas with the company.

ConsLots of changes in senior leadership, leaders aren't visible to the employees around the country, decisions are sometimes made in a vacuum at the corporate offices and not vetted with the managers in the field who are closest to the business and our customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold more open employee roundtables, walk the floor, get out of your offices in the tower, listen, communicate, create a positive environment so we can truly be a "best place to work!"

The worst company I've ever worked for period.

Amissions Representative (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsUsed to be you could make a decent living working for EDMC but once they went to static salaries/hourly the company became completely worthless to work there.

ConsHorrible management that demeans and belittles employees all while asking for teamwork that is not rewarded. Management has no competence, no direction, layoffs happening all the time and treat their employees in a disgusting manner.

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter working there for many many years I wouldn't even know where to start to help them rectify their business. My best advice, burn the whole business down and leave it as a charred ember of what not to do as a business.

Great company with high standards, poor choice for lower to middle management

Senior Programmer Analyst (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat benefits, nice facilities, good co-worker environment

ConsPoor management communication, more decisions made based on political motivation then logical decision making.

Can't trust senior management (and some middle management too....)

Analyst (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsThere were a FEW managers that actually cared about their employees and constantly strived to keep a good work/life balance. They allowed for "personal time" and kept track of what their employees did not from a project quota or "you need to get this done" aspect but more from a "you are putting in a lot of hours and need some downtime" aspect. I met ALOT of GREAT people there and on our team we had a TRUE team atmosphere. We always helped each other out and if one person was sick or having personal issues and needed some time off we all pulled together and picked up the slack to get the job or project done. My manager was one of the best managers I have ever had and I wish EDMC would use that person as an example of how other managers should be.......

ConsTowards the end it was all about the $$$ and decisions were made based on that mentality. The middle managers who were on the "good" side of senior management were always worried about what other departments or managers were doing and not focused on their own departments or staff. When things would go wrong they would always point the finger at someone else or bring up the supposed shortcomings of another department or staff member instead of focusing on the problem at hand. When major issues came up, after the fix was implemented the "blamestorming" sessions would then begin, witch hunts would then ensue and everyone would start the finger pointing until the unlucky culprit was found. If you made a mistake the "punishment" would all depend on who you worked for. Common sense eluded most of senior management and instead of implementing what you would think would be the easiest and most sensible solution they would often take the most convoluted solutions of the middle managers that kissed the most behind and implement that. Most of that stemmed from the middle managers finding solutions that OTHER departments would have to implement so they would not have to deal with the issue themselves.

At the end cuts in staff were once again based on the $$$. They kept the staff making the least salary and got rid of the staff making more money than the average of the department, often keeping staff who either did not know their jobs or did not care and was only there to collect a paycheck and watch the clock (unless that person held a lot of information/knowledge about the inner workings making themselves untouchable.) This happened in quite a few cases that managers would allow one or two employees to have all of the knowledge and not share information which in turn gave them EXTREME job security. They then scared the remaining employees into thinking unless they worked hard and kept their mouths shut they would soon be out of a job as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have created an atmosphere of fear and distrust in which there is now no turning back from. Most of the staff you cut were the ones who actually cared about their jobs and were the ones who invested a lot of time, effort and sweat equity into the company. Now that they are gone and the cat is out of the bag anyone left who is worth a d@#n is now jumping ship to save their own skin.

A toxic soup of shady leadership, gestapo HR tactics, and below average quality of academics... RUN!

Military Admissions Representative (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsMet some fabulous friends there. When you go through war together, you form a bond that is strong.

ConsLest you think I am disgruntled employee because something bad happened to me there, know that I was there for over three years and was not only a top performer from the beginning but also one of the highest paid admissions reps in the company. I never got tagged for a compliance violation. In three years I missed a start date quota only once and that was when I went on vacation. I was a model employee and a great example of what they wanted all their employees to be like. Now tat you have the background on me, take my advice and look elsewhere. This company is a cesspool of all that is wrong about coporaate America and for profit schools. It is crawling with dishonest and unethical leaders. I was there three years and any senior level executive who was talented and had integrity was eventually forced out. I have worked for the last 25 years of my life and I have never worked for a company that systematically cultivated shady people like they were growing a new crop of a**holes each season like they do at EDMC until I worked here. I never aspired to management because A) I made too much money--I was hired before they adjusted the matrix and B) it as clear to succeed in this company as a leader you must sell your soul to the devil. A very high price to pay indeed.

I found a new job and even took a significant cut to my base pay to work in an environment that was positive and for people who appreciate my talent and skill. I have regretd this decision for one second.

Advice to Senior Management1. Comprehend the health of your organization depends of the health of your employees. Working here makes people anxious, stressed, paranoid, fearful, and physically sick with no work life balance because taking any time off puts you in jeopardy of not hitting your numbers. Perhaps your stock price is a direct reflection of the health of your organization. Once tradin in the 30's, you no languish and flounder between 1 and 3. Dismal.

2. Stay out of jail or civil court if you can. Or, on second thought, I hope you rot there and lose all of your money as atonement.

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Education Management Corporation reviews and ratings in Arizona — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Education Management Corporation CEO Edward H. West. All 38 reviews posted anonymously by Education Management Corporation employees.