Education Management Corporation

Updated August 27, 2014
Updated August 27, 2014

2.4

Edward H. West

Pros
  • Great people to work with and there are opportunities to move up here and there (in 13 reviews)

• They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family (in 14 reviews)

• There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

40 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Admissions Advisor AIoP Military Division

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admission  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admission in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free schooling , good pay and pretty good hours. I liked my managers and we all worked together...Worked with some great people .

Cons

Cost of some of the programs is not covered , entirely, by FA. We weren't encouraged to tell people.

No advice

I would not recommend this work environment to my Worst Enemy

Current Employee - Admissions Representative  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This company Used to have great benefits then started reducing them with higher cost out of the employee pocket with less coverage overall.

Cons

Team Managers play favorites and do more playing and horsing around than work. Look out!! Company consistently cutting back costs on everything,,, Stay away High Stress

More extensive and clarification of training on changes and time to adjust before penalizing the employee.. Team managers need to be more professional and stop acting like children. They should be an example and be more willing to assist . Be flexible if lifestyle changes for the employee if needs changed to different shifts and hours to work.

Good Company

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor  in  Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work hours and great people.

Cons

Too much emphasis on getting students in after the deadline...like on the DAY the classes start.

Let the students choose their start date.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It put food on the table

Current Employee - Admissions Representative  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Friendly Coworkers
    -Great pay for the kind of job
    -Decent training

Cons

-No room for creativity
    -Boring robotic work after you're molded into the kind of machine EDMC-OHE wants you to be
    -slimey sales tactics - for example their (EDMC'S) biggest practice hammered into employees, is to overcome objections. Thats fine, but when a student who is telling me they cant enroll right now because their mom is in the hospital I was reprimanded for not saying to the potential student, "great! Sounds like you'll have alot of time to do classwork while at the hospital." Sorry, I wont take on the cold calculated aspect of what a poor corporation can be. I'm a human too. Needless to say I up and left, without having a backup job.

Have a heart. Don't be numbers driven, if your biggest concern is having a quality conversation with potential students, rate the employee on that. Don't treat students as a cash cow.

Run you ragged

Former Employee - Academic Counselor  in  Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Academic Counselor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay and the benefits are good if you can stand the culture and the pace. You can get a free education - but you have to be working full time while you get the free education.

Cons

Managment does not know which way is up. They change their minds about everything everyday. It is all about who you know. They don't train you very well and then the expect you to know how to do the job.

Some good; some bad...Really bad

Former Employee - Financial Aid Officer  in  Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Financial Aid Officer in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Hours...nothing more other then that

Cons

Benefits are lousy, management (Not all) has no idea what they are doing and do not communicate to the employees on important information. Pay is lousy(way below the industry average in the Phoenix Area).. Some are in a position where they should not be. Most managers do not listen to those who are under them. Managers are never around, in meetings everyday.

Listen to those around you, the ones who actually do the work. Current management needs to look at where they are leading the company, which is not going the right direction. My manager knew I was closing on a new home but I was laid off any way (3 days after I closed).....managers do not fight for their employees. Management needs to communicate to those employees who are going to be laid off before hand so they can get at least apply for other jobs, don't be afraid that those who are getting laid off will leave before their last day, many want that severance check, plus it is easier to find a job when you actually have one.

OK to work there

Former Employee - Technical Support Tier II  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Technical Support Tier II in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Education Management Corporation for more than a year

Pros

Clean work place, friendly co-worker

Cons

A lot pressure from management and constant lay off.

Be more flexible with your staff, and avoid office policitics

Positive experience and opportunities with the company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Multiple locations around the company, great product - education, great employee benefits, opportunities to grow in different career areas with the company.

Cons

Lots of changes in senior leadership, leaders aren't visible to the employees around the country, decisions are sometimes made in a vacuum at the corporate offices and not vetted with the managers in the field who are closest to the business and our customers.

Hold more open employee roundtables, walk the floor, get out of your offices in the tower, listen, communicate, create a positive environment so we can truly be a "best place to work!"

The worst company I've ever worked for period.

Former Employee - Amissions Representative  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Amissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Used to be you could make a decent living working for EDMC but once they went to static salaries/hourly the company became completely worthless to work there.

Cons

Horrible management that demeans and belittles employees all while asking for teamwork that is not rewarded. Management has no competence, no direction, layoffs happening all the time and treat their employees in a disgusting manner.

After working there for many many years I wouldn't even know where to start to help them rectify their business. My best advice, burn the whole business down and leave it as a charred ember of what not to do as a business.

Great company with high standards, poor choice for lower to middle management

Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, nice facilities, good co-worker environment

Cons

Poor management communication, more decisions made based on political motivation then logical decision making.

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!