Education Management Corporation

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Edward H. West

Pros
  • Great people to work with and there are opportunities to move up here and there(in 13 reviews)

• They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family(in 14 reviews)

• Management, hours, job security(in 12 reviews)

It opened many doors for me as far as growth in my professional career.

Financial Aid Officer (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsIt's laid back fun atmosphere is why I'm on the brink of reaching my 10 year milestone with the company.

ConsOne of the biggest challenges with the company like with most the decision maker chooses his/her best friend instead of the best candidate.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse some logic.

My experience at EDMC has been a learning experience

Analyst (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsDowntown location it nice, Business Casual Atmosphere, opportunity for advancement.

ConsCurrent Operating Environment is subpar, little stability within groups,communication from executives could be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementEDMC is a bad media darling. Let employees know about all aspects of what is going on within organization good or bad.

many years of employment

Prosworking with creative college students will keep you young

Conscollege seems to operate in spite of itself

Advice to Senior Managementsell off bad investments, stop opening schools in obscure locations

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dissatisfied employee.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsI have developed great friendships with coworkers.

ConsNo raises, negative environment with little communication from management.

Walking on pins and needles

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGreat group of people. Direct manager for my department was personally great but had to be robots to upper management their advice was never addressed or heard.

ConsNot ever sure if it was your day for the next wave of layoffs. Upper management took bonuses and left others with no raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo one wants to work for a company that has no defined future.

Financial aid officer

Financial Aid Officer (Former Employee) Santa Ana, CA

ProsCoworkers and my students were great. Supportive direct supervisors and interdepartmental teamwork given current work conditions.

ConsToo many to count. This job was like financial aid and admissions boot camp to get students to sign up for overpriced degrees. Enrollment and campus morale is at an all time low. Admissions seems to always be in a panic state about signing up non-committal students. Increasing evenings and weekend work with events, and i routinely worked 10 day stretches of days with only 1 day off flex or 1/2 day flex toward the end of my employment. Thankfully I got out of there and found a great job, away from edmc and a horrible school president. This job had me in a near-constant state of anxiety and I was given Xanax by my dr until I could get out of there. No joke, you are pushed that hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementEdmc higher management is ridiculously out of touch with their recent centralization efforts. That is what broke me permanently about this company. They really do not care about what we needed at the campus, just the bottom line. Stop the CEO bonuses and gov't lobbying - just a waste of money - and fix what is broken...the campuses.

Pick a different option

ProsLocation, benefits, not much else

ConsPay, hours, ethical standards, management

Media Services Analyst

Media Services Analyst (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsMost of the people you work with are great. Real people. Obviously you have your good managers and your bad ones. I've seen a few good ones in my time there and a few bad ones.
    You try to do what you can, working in an educational institution.

ConsUltimately, this for profit school is mostly about profit. As is the case in recent years, there wasn't a profit. The bottom line becomes more important. Cutting staff is seen as the best option. This leads to the detriment of the educational experience of the students.
    Your hard work may be appreciated, but it really doesn't mean much at the end of the day. It does not guarantee your position.

Admissions representative

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHelping students is the only positive thing about this position.

ConsManagement pushing you to admit students into a $93,000 program and they do not have basic reading, computer or math skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementCoaching should be a must, instead of laying employees of when they don't meet all requirements.

Former employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsSalary was OK, benefits were good. The schools themselves were nice and the teachers seemed interested in the success of the students.

ConsAfter being recruited in to help with a specific problem I was laid off just one year later and given a small severance. It really messed up my career - I should never have taken this job.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe office culture was highly compartmentalized. I generated several good ideas to help the company, but these ideas were dismissed because they involved other departments.

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!