Education Management Corporation

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014
2.5

Edward H. West

Pros
  • Great people to work with and there are opportunities to move up here and there (in 16 reviews)

• Work/life balance is comfortable unless you have a family; you will work Saturdays (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family (in 19 reviews)

• There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

123 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

a good soruce to provide for my and my family

Former Employee - Collections in Greentree, PA
    Former Employee - Collections in Greentree, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I made a good living.

Cons

sometime the hrs were long.

you fire people who work hard, God be with you when they fire you,.

Sales masked as bettering student lives

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In terms of personal growth, this place challenged me in a lot of ways that shaped the success I'm having today. It wasn't always pretty - there were a few mass layoffs during my tenure, and there was a lot of pressure from upper management to hit your enrollment quotas. While I hated it at times, I look back at my EDMC experiences as positive for how they helped me grow stronger.

Prior to the legal trouble - the pay was insanely high, but ultimately unsustainable. Some Admissions Reps were making well above 6-figures for recruiting students. Once that bubble broke, salaries were still pretty good for starting out of school.

Cons

The public mission about changing student lives is all a front. The sole internal motivator is to get as much money as you can out of prospective students. Trainings and performance metrics are all numbers and revenue based. There was no performance metric related to student happiness/experience - just how many students you enrolled and how much money you made the company.

Good people but poor management

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Education Management Corporation (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people on the "indian" level vs. "chief" level.

Cons

Management is not really focused, doesn't appropriately focus the troops. Management recently dropped the 401K match, a 6 % pay cut was not good news.

Focus on a reasonable number of objectives, quit chasing the next shiny object. I believe the pay is reasonable for what we do. The facilities are nice.

No ethics, no client care, poor business model.

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Office complex in downtown Pittsburgh is modern and well maintained.

Cons

Too many to list. Despite what they tell new hires, EDMC cares about nothing but profit. They treat their employees like cattle and their students even worse. Employees in admissions are routinely told to pressure prospective students into applying for school even if they are clearly unqualified. Then, they are given a high-pressure sales pitch to accept extensive financial aid for a sub-par education that usually exceeds $50,000. This company is devious, ruthless and a borderline scam. Avoid them at all costs! The schools they represent are often legitimate, but EDMC is nothing short of a snake-oil salesman hawking online pipe dreams that rarely if ever satisfy students aspirations or even governmental standards.

None. There is really nothing to say to people who engage in such unethical business practices while treating their employees like expendable, and not particularly valued assets.

Horrible, toxic environment

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only pros to working here are the people you work with. At least the bottom level employees are cool. It used to be a fun place to be and you could make money from the matrix. Managers literally have no management skills.

Cons

Everything. Literally RUN away from this place unless you are desperate for a job. Everyone either gets fired or laid off. This ship is sinking and I'm currently trying to find another job so I can get out of here before it happens.

You are a bunch of jokes.

Admissions Representative

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only good thing about working for this company was the people, if you're lucky you will be placed on a team with fun, positive people, and a manger who actually cares about you. Salary is decent but when you factor in parking and benefits it's nothing spectacular.

Cons

Where to start? This place fills their employees with plenty of false hope. This is a glorified telemarketing job. All the schools represented by EDMC have a terrible reputation. With the exception of a very small handful, the majority of people in a leadership role here are a JOKE. Zero professionalism, no concern for people who have families, it's all about recruiting students for the financial gain of the company. Everyone is out for themselves. You will make 400 dials in a day or go crazy from pure boredom. If you don't meet your monthly goals you have to worry about job security. Plan on working overtime and giving up Saturdays if you find yourself in the hole when it comes to meeting goals, and not having a life.

Get a clue.

Horrible

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Met a lot of awesome people
    Insurance (it's the worst in the area however)

Cons

Company values
    Leadership
    Training
    Pay - although decent, not worth the stress
    No work-life balance
    No job security
    Lots of layoffs
    Unrealistic goals
    High pressured sales job
    Everything else

This really doesn't matter because they wouldn't listen...

I worked in the Pittsburgh office for 2 years. I promise you, I have never worked for a company that caused me so much anxiety. When you are hired you are made to believe that you are going to be working in admissions and calling, interviewing, and recruiting potential interested students. NOT THE CASE. You call hundreds of people that did not even request information! Many of them are illiterate and can't even put a sentence together and somehow you have to sell that individual a 67k degree. It's merely a high pressured sales position and I predict they'll close their doors by early next year. I morally could not go on....I felt so bad about all the students that I deceived into going to college knowing they weren't "college material." Now they have dropped out and have large amounts of debt. If you are considering working here, don't. Move on....

There's no advice to management....just get out because the damage has been done. All the evil that has been sown has come back up to bite you. Education and business don't mix because something will go lacking...If you would have always focused on student success you might be in a different situation and people working there might actually enjoy their job. I have never felt such regret. Working there was a huge mistake and I pray that God can forgive the evil that I sown out of desperation of keeping my job. I finally up and quit because of conscious was not clean.

Avoid this place.

Sadly, a sinking ship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The amazing work the students created - they had such talent and passion. Certain teams had great people, a lot were there 10+ years for good reason. Benefits were great. Continuing education opportunities for employees and their immediate family.

Cons

Slow adoption to new technologies. Closed minded to new process improvements. Morale was bad and the culture didn't foster the creative education we were supporting.

Remember why you are there - for the students - and focus on them.

Goodbye 401k match!

Former Employee - General Accountant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - General Accountant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people and highly proficient controllership department. Deficient IT and infrastructure investments have hampered and complicated the ongoing efforts to streamline and centralize processes and procedures. Extremely tough regulatory and economic environment for this type of business, and they've done reasonably well given these adverse conditions.

Cons

Their 401k match was reduced to 4% of as june/july 2014 And then, in August 2014, they completely eliminated the match! This change may accelerate the exodus of employees, and make it more unlikely that they will attract highly talented individuals in the future. I understand the business rationale, and it's a very tough decision - may prove to be a short term change for them to avoid another default. In a year or two, things may change and they may become a profitable company again. It's a no win situation in the short term despite having great people on board. I don't doubt that they will emerge intact from this tough time period, but it will take a few years for them to start realizing growth again.

Best of luck!

Great people, but money hungry company...

Former Employee - Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed the people I worked with. They were amazing people that I keep in contact with. Work life was good, time off was good, and benefits were great.

Cons

I don't understand why this company hires any people when they just lay everyone off. My whole department was wiped out. It was always about the sale, the numbers, never a pat on the back from management because they only focused on numbers. Many times goals were unattainable, but they didn't care. It was exhausting.

Stop hiring if you are going to lay off people!