Education Management Corporation

Be The First To
Add Photos

Edward H. West

99 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to learn and advance your skill set

Systems Administrator (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsWith such a wide range of products / projects being worked on at any given moment, there is so much to learn. You'll be a better person just 6 months into working here if you are motivated and willing to learn.

I will and have recommended friends and family to work here, as I see first hand just what experience can be gained from this business.

ConsWith the current political administration's attacks on for profit education, it's hard to say where we are going currently and where we will stand in the next coming years.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more engaged with employees in keeping them in the loop at where the company projects are going and how it'll benefit the company. All to often projects happen with no understanding of what and why it's happening.

A perfect combination of fear and futility.

Admissions Representative (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsA great service for students by providing a flexible and convenient opportunity to pursue their degree. The online classroom is very user-friendly and can be effectively operated by even a novice computer user.

The benefits provided to employees were very good.

ConsThe focus is said to be on the students. The focus is instead on the number of students. Admissions staff is encouraged to harass new applicants with outreach attempts to obtain students. If a potential student says "No" that is just for that individual moment in time as they will be called for the rest of their lives trying to find that exact moment in time when, for some magical reason, they will say "Yes" and want to enroll.

Advice to Senior ManagementI doubt they can read this. Senior Management was promoted through the ranks from their previous results as staff when the operations first started, not for their ability to lead, create change, vision, and or strategy.

Leads need to be targeted to actual potential students. Degree programs need to be focused to students that can actually use the degree programs instead of magically twisting the coursework to somehow find a small way that it can be used for the students. Case in point: we have students that click on banner ads to become an EMT online. Really? Really! This is not possibly. Also, one does not need a degree to become an EMT, they need to be certified by the state. EDMC will badger this person for the rest of their life trying to cram this student into a degree program that will not get them to be what their stated intentions were.

Not a good place to work

National Admissions Representative (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsEDMC does pay well and offers a fair benefits package in most cases.

ConsThe industry is facing enormous issues, coming under scrutiny from the federal government. EDMC's priorities are profits, not students which can be a difficult moral dilemma for employees. In most cases, there is not room for growth or personal contribution to the company.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This job has been interesting and rewarding at times but overall is enough to give you a nervous breakdown!

Systems Analyst (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsInteresting projects, opportunities to develop solutions that make coworkers tasks more efficient and less challenging, opportunities to work with cutting edge technologies and innovative business process improvements.

ConsWork-life balance is pathetic. More and more positions are being cut because the company has financial issues. However, the demand continues to grow as upper management pretends that we are not in trouble and continues investments in new products and services.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease choose one road or the other. Either we are downsizing in which case we need to stop all investments and implementations and just keep up with what we have, OR, we are going all in to turn this company around and get back to profits. You cannot continue to cut IT groups in half while INCREASING the workload. This philosophy is simply burning out the great employees and we can only do this for so long without giving up.

Business Analyst - Bottom up review.

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsCompany is a much better place to work than I expected. People are smart and care about the educational mission. There is significant opportunity at EDMC for those driven and willing to accept responsibility. The company desperately needs people who can execute and are committed to seeing things through. If that's you, there your options are vast.

ConsLimited collaboration across business units or functional areas. There are strong personalities in senior/middle management who 'know what's best and to hell with the rest'. The company is moving toward data-driven decision making but needs strong advocates to push this along.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo be successful the company needs to break down silos and encourage collaboration. There are too many line drawn between functional groups (IT and 'The Business') as well as the individual ed systems ('The Brands').

This job consisted of selling $60,000 psychology degrees to people who could not afford them and would never use them.

Admissions Representative (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThe chance to meet lots of different people. The money can be good if your great at phone sales.

ConsTedious job of calling people all day long who do not want to talk to you.

Excellent pay and benefits, difficult job.

Admissions Representative (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThe pay is excellent and not working from paycheck to paycheck is ideal. Overtime is voluntary but encouraged often. The paid time off and holidays off are excellent.

ConsThe job is overly redundant. After some time one's conscience prohibits from being able to actually perform.

Advice to Senior ManagementMoral needs to be raised, encourage growth for the team members, and allow cell phones and internet browsing.

Going downhill fast

Proslocated in Pittsburgh, continued education IF you are employed

ConsCEO, all departments are getting cut

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new CEO

It opened many doors for me as far as growth in my professional career.

Financial Aid Officer (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsIt's laid back fun atmosphere is why I'm on the brink of reaching my 10 year milestone with the company.

ConsOne of the biggest challenges with the company like with most the decision maker chooses his/her best friend instead of the best candidate.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse some logic.

Dissatisfied employee.

Pittsburgh, PA

ProsI have developed great friendships with coworkers.

ConsNo raises, negative environment with little communication from management.

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Education Management Corporation reviews and ratings in Pittsburgh, PA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Education Management Corporation CEO Edward H. West. All 99 reviews posted anonymously by Education Management Corporation employees.