Education Management Corporation

Updated September 25, 2014
Updated September 25, 2014
2.4

Edward H. West

Pros
  • They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs (in 16 reviews)

• Great people to work with and there are opportunities to move up here and there (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family (in 15 reviews)

• There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

a good soruce to provide for my and my family

Former Employee - Collections  in  Greentree, PA
    Former Employee - Collections in Greentree, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I made a good living.

Cons

sometime the hrs were long.

you fire people who work hard, God be with you when they fire you,.

It was good while it lasted.

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I enjoyed being part of enthusiastic teams who clearly saw the benefits of the education offered at the EDMC family of schools. Benefits were good and salaries were above average.

Cons

Changes made in the past few years to the benefits package actually punished their more loyal, long-term employees. It was like a slap in the face. Then you get laid off with not even a hint of warning. After 15+ years of service, I feel very disrespected. The severance package was decent but it doesn't help you deal with the emotional effects of losing a job at which you spent the majority of your adult life.

The company has become too unstable. You never know when the ax is going to fall. The atmosphere has become very tense. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Yes, we should be primarily about the students. But you also need to treat your employees with more respect and care.

Work study student

Current Employee - Work Study Student  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Work Study Student in Houston, TX

I have been working at Education Management Corporation part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Worked with your college hours, great co workers

Cons

only legally can work 20 hours a week, management always unresponsive,

Make the supervisors interact with students more. Certain employees at Art Institute of Houston could care less about the students and are very selfish.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

LOVE working for this company!! Best job I've ever had! Great training, great management, great pay and benefits!!!!!

Current Employee - High School Representative
    Current Employee - High School Representative

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management, Training, Hours, Work-LIfe Balances, PTO, Pay, Benefits

Cons

I have nothing bad to say.

Keep up the good work!!

My experience was a positive growing and learning experience.

Current Employee - National Admissions Advisor  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - National Admissions Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It is a position you can be proud of. You will be changing lives for a living, and there is no job beyond that in which is satisfying.

Cons

Meeting Expectations, sometimes can be a little nerve-racking.

Sadly, a sinking ship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The amazing work the students created - they had such talent and passion. Certain teams had great people, a lot were there 10+ years for good reason. Benefits were great. Continuing education opportunities for employees and their immediate family.

Cons

Slow adoption to new technologies. Closed minded to new process improvements. Morale was bad and the culture didn't foster the creative education we were supporting.

Remember why you are there - for the students - and focus on them.

Great overall experience! Allowed the opportunity to help others in pursuing their educational goals!

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Not micro managed, fulfilling and rewarding work. Amazing work environment, many minor perks of the job. Job title assigned carries a lot of "weight" in the professional world

Cons

"What have you done for me lately" attitude from the management. "Pushed" to accomplish start goals...sometimes beyond what is best for the student

Remember exactly what the staff has to go through with each individual student

Admissions Representative

I worked at Education Management Corporation

Pros

co-workers, cafe, compensation, my manager, veterans

Cons

dialing, mundane work, boredom, compliance

Goodbye 401k match!

Former Employee - General Accountant  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - General Accountant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people and highly proficient controllership department. Deficient IT and infrastructure investments have hampered and complicated the ongoing efforts to streamline and centralize processes and procedures. Extremely tough regulatory and economic environment for this type of business, and they've done reasonably well given these adverse conditions.

Cons

Their 401k match was reduced to 4% of as june/july 2014 And then, in August 2014, they completely eliminated the match! This change may accelerate the exodus of employees, and make it more unlikely that they will attract highly talented individuals in the future. I understand the business rationale, and it's a very tough decision - may prove to be a short term change for them to avoid another default. In a year or two, things may change and they may become a profitable company again. It's a no win situation in the short term despite having great people on board. I don't doubt that they will emerge intact from this tough time period, but it will take a few years for them to start realizing growth again.

Best of luck!

Company grew too fast

Former Employee - High School Representative  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - High School Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Loved the family work balance and the team.

Cons

Grew to fast. Unfortunately there will be more layoffs

Give people the option to move at their expense. Take into consideration employee performance not just where they live.

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!