Education Management Corporation Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.4
Edward H. West

Pros
  • Great people on the "indian" level vs (in 16 reviews)

• There is great work life balance at EDMC as long as you are meeting your goals (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • They don't understand work/life balance (in 19 reviews)

• If you don't meet your monthly goals you have to worry about job security (in 18 reviews)

Bummer place to work - hope the Pittsburgh job market improves real soon.

Current Employee - IT Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

None really - there are a few departments where the managers are OK - but all in all it is a very difficult place to 'work' as you have to constantly play politics and watch your back to avoid getting 'blamed' for someone else's mistakes, fumbles and/or inability to do things in a sane, successful manner. Definitely not a good thing that the employees 'cannot' count on their managers to support them when there are problems. The managers all have a 'group think' thing going on where they are the 'geniuses' and any problems must be the fault of their reports.

Cons

The place is completely in 'fire fighting' or 'panic' mode week after week, month after month, year after year.... I can see if someone is new or a new project starts up that they need some slack. But, to perpetually make promises and agree to delivery dates when the people in charge haves no real idea of what the actual level of effort and total numbers of hours will be, that is just stupid. And, anyone can be stupid once, but to be stupid over and over and make empty promises over and over and to agree to dates over and over.... well, someone in the organization should be looking at this and ask; 'What the hell is going on?'. They have been skillful in blaming others for the failures and to explain the shoddy nature of what has been delivered that was very, very late and of a very poor quality. But, the C-level execs are just lying to themselves with all of the excuses that they make. Mandatory overtime on a very frequent basis, lost holidays and lost vacation days as they cannot be carried forward, performance reviews being 6 or 8 or 10 months overdue along with the fact that the ‘minimal’ raise they may give is not back dated to your original review date, all reinforce that fact that the company puts little value on their people. Extreme hostility between the business, finance and IT departments and the fact that the IT department itself has no trust between groups, frequently engages in screaming matches along with undermining the work of other groups all speaks to the substantial lack of credibility that IT has within EDMC.

Advice to Management

Wake up - look at who has been ultimately responsible for the things that have gone really wrong, the things that are really late and the things that continue to struggle and have issues year after year. It is time to put personal friendships aside and call a spade a spade - it is very evident where and who the problems are - deal with it.

EDMC................Good Luck!

Former Employee - Human Resources in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Developed alot of long lasting relationships across all departments. Experience working in a fast paced environment. Free education to any of their diploma-mill colleges.

Cons

Leadership is self-absorbed and feel as if staff is expendable. They have over 100% turn-over rate each year. It is basically a new University of Phoenix as our CEO and President decided to hire all their old friends from Apollo Group. EDMC is about who you know and what you can prove., not how you perform in your role. Talent is not rewarded and there is no advancement opportunities as they hire externally for all their leadership positions. They stand up and preach about how they have the students best interests in mind and then immediately contradict themselves by stating how much growth and revenue we have generated. Employee raises are typically 1-2%, but if your in leadship you will get a 170% of your bonus. There is no equity in the positions. If you know someone here and get hired you will typically make $15,000-$20,000 more than others in the same position who didn't know anyone. In short if you used to work for Apollo or you good friends are Hiring Managers your set, if not I would look at other opportunities.

Advice to Management

It is time for a change in your thought process. You can only work your employees like this for so long before it will blow up in your face. When the economy turns there will be a mass-exodus.

A nightmare from the first day.

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

The employees are diverse and are from all walks of life. When reaching out to students, employees do have the potential to do good work.

Cons

There is such a huge turnover that the company can't keep track of the employees (the first day I was placed in the wrong training from the entire day). Small office spaces and break rooms. If you aren't going out for lunch and spending your money; good luck trying to find a spot in the lunch room because there aren't enough seats!

Advice to Management

For as big as this company is, the management lacks in most areas. The new hire training is based on "overcoming student objections" rather than educating new hires about what the school has to offer (programs, tuition, TOC, etc.). The company is more invested in hitting sales numbers than doing something good for the students that are being recruited. The modo of this company is totally different than the overall operation.

One of the worst places I have ever worked

Former Employee - Good Luck - You're Going to Need It! in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Good Luck - You're Going to Need It! in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

The money is there to make, if you are working 10+ hours of overtime each week. I was a finance counselor, and often saw the only perk of the job as the overtime. My motto was, as long as I'm stuck in this awful job, I will try to make as much $$ as possible.

6. nightmare

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

if you need a job they will hire you.

Cons

high pressure sales to prospective college students. they lie. good leads and students signing up on own go to favorites. they will take away your your good leads and give you old overworked ones.

Advice to Management

are you aware of the corruption going on in the sales department???

7. A true learning experience and an eye opener to the type of conditions I don't want to work in.

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

If you like to move your desk over 20 times in less than a year you will be extremely happy, along with being comfortable with mice running around your feet.

Cons

I wholeheartedly agree with this review posted by a former EDMC employee: "Cons 1. EDMC is like a black hole that sucks people in - have you ever seen the tv shows where thousands of employees, all looking alike, walk into work each day....heads down, frowning, hating life? WELCOME to life in the strip distctirct, PGH headquarters for EDMC. Every morning at 9am, the Strip District becomes jam packed with cars, there are 20 year olds swarming the building everywhere. 2. It is very difficult to find a job once you are employed by EDMC. Luckily I had worked at other companies before going there- so it helped my resume when I went to interviews. However, most interviews I went on, I was questioned about EDMC and what I thought about their ethical practices. I also recieved the same grimmace and "ohhh, you work at EDMC...hmm - we know all about them." It took me appx 1 year to find employment outside of that comapny. I was passed up for jobs I was over-qualified for, all becuase of my assoc with that company. I am thankful daily that I got out. 3. You are treated horribly. Not once, ever...does managment Thank you for your services to them. Nope - they are all about more, more, more, more. In the Finance department, the only goals that were ever set were about talk time, talk time, talk time. They treated us as if we worked at a call center. Numbers are thrown around daily, along with the usual "YOU AREN'T DOING ENOUGH". As soon as you hit your "goals" they increased! Mgmt does not recognize that as a finance counselor, we had other duties and processes, along with all the excel spreadsheets that needed to be completed. 4. Final word of adivce..Stay far, far AWAY! You will never get promoted unless you know someone, you will be at work from 8-8, be forced to work 1-2 saturdays a month, constantly told you're not doing good enough - along with threats of discplinary actions, and you will watch the revolving door swing, bc no one in their right mind willingly stays employed there. Advice to Senior Management Change your ways or you will face losing all of your employees, and your reputation will continue to decline. Something is not right at that company (as in, they are in trouble and I believe its only a matter of time before they close their doors for good)."

Advice to Management

Stop putting students in college that have no place being in college. You are getting students approved for financial assistance that will almost immediately drop out and default on their loans. EDMC is a money maker for GoldmanSachs.

8. Don't Come Here

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

It's a job. Private cubicles so you don't get messed with to much. You and your immediate family can go to an EDMC school for any degree and it's free.

Cons

Crappy hours, forced overtime and Saturday's scheduled with no notice. Older reps make double and do very little. No leadership. No real training.

Advice to Management

You've got some pretty good and smart people workinh there. A lot have left. Take care of those remaining. A kind word, recognition or a little praise go a long way.

Where dreams go to do

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admission in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admission in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Convenient parking Decent people to work with Catered Lunches Some managers are not micromanagers wide breadth of programs to work wth

Cons

You are basically encouraged to defraud the federal government You are encouraged to sell students on the programs whether or not the degree will actually help them When I worked there, you were not rewarded or punished if the student didn't remain in the program after their first semester/class Auto-dialer Leads were typically awful

Advice to Management

Stop trying to sell education as a consumer product. Seeking a profit through education is unethical because you simply do not provide a decent transferable product

10. Micromanaged to Death

Former Employee - Academic Counselor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Academic Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

A lot of really nice people work at the ground level at EDMC.

Cons

This is by far the most disorganized organization I have ever worked for. The changes are daily and are rarely communicated correctly. The technology is outdated and the mistakes made that effect the students are numerous. The only thing that matters to this company is $$$ and numbers. They honestly don't care about the their students or employees.

Advice to Management

You have to spend money to make money and micromanaging your employees is demoralizing especially when there is no consistency in policies between departments that work together. An organization has to be organized and EDMC is so disorganized it will never succeed long term.

11. A horrible, evil company with terrible management

Former Employee - Data Entry in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Data Entry in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Good location, always hiring, sometimes can be a friendly work environment, pay is relatively decent in this economy, young people working there

Cons

Too many to list, just look up for-profit education and learn that you will be selling $20 - $30k pieces of useless paper to poor people

Advice to Management

Don't treat your lower level employees like junk, I've never seen a place with such rude upper management, the dress code is ridiculously strict for no reason, it's an ONLINE university

RSS Feed </> Embed