Education Management Corporation

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Edward H. West

Pros
  • Great people to work with and there are opportunities to move up here and there(in 13 reviews)

• They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family(in 14 reviews)

• There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time(in 13 reviews)

It put food on the table

Admissions Representative (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

Pros-Friendly Coworkers
    -Great pay for the kind of job
    -Decent training

Cons-No room for creativity
    -Boring robotic work after you're molded into the kind of machine EDMC-OHE wants you to be
    -slimey sales tactics - for example their (EDMC'S) biggest practice hammered into employees, is to overcome objections. Thats fine, but when a student who is telling me they cant enroll right now because their mom is in the hospital I was reprimanded for not saying to the potential student, "great! Sounds like you'll have alot of time to do classwork while at the hospital." Sorry, I wont take on the cold calculated aspect of what a poor corporation can be. I'm a human too. Needless to say I up and left, without having a backup job.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a heart. Don't be numbers driven, if your biggest concern is having a quality conversation with potential students, rate the employee on that. Don't treat students as a cash cow.

This job consisted of selling $60,000 psychology degrees to people who could not afford them and would never use them.

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThe chance to meet lots of different people. The money can be good if your great at phone sales.

ConsTedious job of calling people all day long who do not want to talk to you.

Do not apply to them

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Kansas City, KS

ProsNone, they do not care about employees

ConsThey do not care about the employees, only how much money they make

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMade a great salary on the "matrix" which they say never existed. Decent benefit package

ConsEnough pressure for a nervous breakdown, they want you to say or do whatever to get a student to enroll. Once a student "posts" in an online classroom they owe money. They suggest students attend an online school who don't even have a computer or who can barely pass a basic reading assessment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with all of the pressure and try to do the right thing. Also, smirking in the midst of group layoffs is completely inappropriate!

Going downhill fast

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

Proslocated in Pittsburgh, continued education IF you are employed

ConsCEO, all departments are getting cut

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new CEO

Dissatisfied employee.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsI have developed great friendships with coworkers.

ConsNo raises, negative environment with little communication from management.

Walking on pins and needles

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGreat group of people. Direct manager for my department was personally great but had to be robots to upper management their advice was never addressed or heard.

ConsNot ever sure if it was your day for the next wave of layoffs. Upper management took bonuses and left others with no raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo one wants to work for a company that has no defined future.

Financial aid officer

Financial Aid Officer (Former Employee) Santa Ana, CA

ProsCoworkers and my students were great. Supportive direct supervisors and interdepartmental teamwork given current work conditions.

ConsToo many to count. This job was like financial aid and admissions boot camp to get students to sign up for overpriced degrees. Enrollment and campus morale is at an all time low. Admissions seems to always be in a panic state about signing up non-committal students. Increasing evenings and weekend work with events, and i routinely worked 10 day stretches of days with only 1 day off flex or 1/2 day flex toward the end of my employment. Thankfully I got out of there and found a great job, away from edmc and a horrible school president. This job had me in a near-constant state of anxiety and I was given Xanax by my dr until I could get out of there. No joke, you are pushed that hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementEdmc higher management is ridiculously out of touch with their recent centralization efforts. That is what broke me permanently about this company. They really do not care about what we needed at the campus, just the bottom line. Stop the CEO bonuses and gov't lobbying - just a waste of money - and fix what is broken...the campuses.

Pick a different option

ProsLocation, benefits, not much else

ConsPay, hours, ethical standards, management

Media Services Analyst

Media Services Analyst (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsMost of the people you work with are great. Real people. Obviously you have your good managers and your bad ones. I've seen a few good ones in my time there and a few bad ones.
    You try to do what you can, working in an educational institution.

ConsUltimately, this for profit school is mostly about profit. As is the case in recent years, there wasn't a profit. The bottom line becomes more important. Cutting staff is seen as the best option. This leads to the detriment of the educational experience of the students.
    Your hard work may be appreciated, but it really doesn't mean much at the end of the day. It does not guarantee your position.

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!