Education Management Corporation

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Edward H. West

Pros:
  • "They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs"
    in 13 reviews
  • "The Human Resource team is helpful and the employee benefits are great"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family"
    in 12 reviews
  • "high pressure sales to prospective college students"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

EDMC

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsPotential to return to the values the company was founded on.

ConsExecutive Management has not taken the time to personally know the greatest assets EDMC is divesting itself of; the many employees who have worked so hard to keep the company afloat.

When Rif's happen, HR and management say it's just business, not personal. Perhaps this is the larger problem EDMC needs to address, it should be as personal to management as it is to that employee that their decision has just affected.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep out of your office, get to know the people who are working to ensure the company's success - your lack of visibility contributes negatively to the gossip and environment. Try hiring Executive Management that actually have an Education background.

It put food on the table

Admissions Representative (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

Pros-Friendly Coworkers
    -Great pay for the kind of job
    -Decent training

Cons-No room for creativity
    -Boring robotic work after you're molded into the kind of machine EDMC-OHE wants you to be
    -slimey sales tactics - for example their (EDMC'S) biggest practice hammered into employees, is to overcome objections. Thats fine, but when a student who is telling me they cant enroll right now because their mom is in the hospital I was reprimanded for not saying to the potential student, "great! Sounds like you'll have alot of time to do classwork while at the hospital." Sorry, I wont take on the cold calculated aspect of what a poor corporation can be. I'm a human too. Needless to say I up and left, without having a backup job.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a heart. Don't be numbers driven, if your biggest concern is having a quality conversation with potential students, rate the employee on that. Don't treat students as a cash cow.

This job consisted of selling $60,000 psychology degrees to people who could not afford them and would never use them.

Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThe chance to meet lots of different people. The money can be good if your great at phone sales.

ConsTedious job of calling people all day long who do not want to talk to you.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Do not apply to them

Kansas City, KS

ProsNone, they do not care about employees

ConsThey do not care about the employees, only how much money they make

A perfect combination of fear and futility.

Pittsburgh, PA

ProsA great service for students by providing a flexible and convenient opportunity to pursue their degree. The online classroom is very user-friendly and can be effectively operated by even a novice computer user.

The benefits provided to employees were very good.

ConsThe focus is said to be on the students. The focus is instead on the number of students. Admissions staff is encouraged to harass new applicants with outreach attempts to obtain students. If a potential student says "No" that is just for that individual moment in time as they will be called for the rest of their lives trying to find that exact moment in time when, for some magical reason, they will say "Yes" and want to enroll.

Advice to Senior ManagementI doubt they can read this. Senior Management was promoted through the ranks from their previous results as staff when the operations first started, not for their ability to lead, create change, vision, and or strategy.

Leads need to be targeted to actual potential students. Degree programs need to be focused to students that can actually use the degree programs instead of magically twisting the coursework to somehow find a small way that it can be used for the students. Case in point: we have students that click on banner ads to become an EMT online. Really? Really! This is not possibly. Also, one does not need a degree to become an EMT, they need to be certified by the state. EDMC will badger this person for the rest of their life trying to cram this student into a degree program that will not get them to be what their stated intentions were.

Terrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMade a great salary on the "matrix" which they say never existed. Decent benefit package

ConsEnough pressure for a nervous breakdown, they want you to say or do whatever to get a student to enroll. Once a student "posts" in an online classroom they owe money. They suggest students attend an online school who don't even have a computer or who can barely pass a basic reading assessment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with all of the pressure and try to do the right thing. Also, smirking in the midst of group layoffs is completely inappropriate!

Great place to learn and advance your skill set

Systems Administrator (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsWith such a wide range of products / projects being worked on at any given moment, there is so much to learn. You'll be a better person just 6 months into working here if you are motivated and willing to learn.

I will and have recommended friends and family to work here, as I see first hand just what experience can be gained from this business.

ConsWith the current political administration's attacks on for profit education, it's hard to say where we are going currently and where we will stand in the next coming years.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more engaged with employees in keeping them in the loop at where the company projects are going and how it'll benefit the company. All to often projects happen with no understanding of what and why it's happening.

Going downhill fast

Proslocated in Pittsburgh, continued education IF you are employed

ConsCEO, all departments are getting cut

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new CEO

Not a good place to work

National Admissions Representative (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsEDMC does pay well and offers a fair benefits package in most cases.

ConsThe industry is facing enormous issues, coming under scrutiny from the federal government. EDMC's priorities are profits, not students which can be a difficult moral dilemma for employees. In most cases, there is not room for growth or personal contribution to the company.

Dissatisfied employee.

Pittsburgh, PA

ProsI have developed great friendships with coworkers.

ConsNo raises, negative environment with little communication from management.

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Education Management Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Education Management Corporation CEO Edward H. West. All 269 reviews posted anonymously by Education Management Corporation employees.