Education Management Corporation

Updated October 23, 2014
Updated October 23, 2014
2.4

Edward H. West

Pros
  • Great people to work with and there are opportunities to move up here and there (in 16 reviews)

• They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family (in 17 reviews)

• There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Seeking Stability

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employees do care about the students, and helping them with a successful start through to graduation.
    Benefits are at par with many companies.

Cons

The company grew quickly and now it is trying to maintain its growth - there have been periodic layoffs already.

Announcements about new executives being hired seems to be a regular occurrence. The organization seems top-heavy.

Want to hate your life? Work for EDMC.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent compensation, the work itself wasn't difficult, room for lateral movement (no way you're going up though).

Cons

You'll have to interact with terrible people both in the work place and on the phone. You will be given goals (and micromanaged daily on those goals) that you won't be able to complete due to the incompetent student body you are forced to interact with, and you will probably begin to have a crisis of conscience as you understand that EDMC is solely meant to siphon Federal Title IV funding from the federal government by using students who should NOT be in college in the first place as the proxy. Literally a joke - and I can't believe it's still allowed to operate.

It's a despicable place, and I'm glad I'm gone. As it stands, the Department of Education is working to shut it down, and if you check its stock performance the last 18 months...well, you can see they're succeeding. I left on my own terms, and it's the best professional decision I've ever made.

However if you want to be in a work environment where everyone is basically a snake-oil salesman seeking only profit in the education world AND you have absolutely no job security (and you won't hit your goals 75% of the time) - AND you want to rip off disadvantaged people by putting them tens upon tens of thousands into debt for a degree that may be worth less than toilet paper - EDMC is the place for you!

The middle management needs to go due to how bloated their salaries are in exchange for the lack of production they provide. Also, get those resumes ready - the day of reckoning is coming. Get out while you still can. Me? I'm getting my popcorn ready.

Former veteran employee

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time

Pros

Great co-workers who support each other.

Cons

Poor compensation for very hard work. No incentive to be your best. No opportunities for upward mobility. Frozen management. Recent mass layoffs got rid of some good people, but kept the flotsam, the people who have adhered to the Peter Principle and survive purely on longevity, not excellence. Absolutely no respect or reward for successful veterans. EDMC has had many lawsuits and is a human resource nightmare. The company is struggling to survive as it twists in the wind, a result of the exposure of For Profit colleges and their lack of ethics. They will accept anyone ( 2.00 qualifies ) take their very high tuition payment and then abandon them very quickly with no support.

Take a hard look at how the enormous growth, from 18 colleges to over 50 in less than 11 years has damaged the future. Get rid of incompetent middle management and provide opportunities for your good, hard working, loyal workers to move up the ladder. Compensation sucks.

Unreasonable goals, poor lead, flow , by any means nessesary mentality.

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Detroit, MI

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay, title and HOPE at first. Some colleagues were great. New campus

Cons

Revolving door , sell, sell, sell or be fired. The sales process is cleverly disguised as consultative counseling. The education is WAY over priced. 100k+ for a degree from a for profit art school.

Stop being so greedy. Reduce tuition, reduce your pay. Focus on student outcomes and debt or your company will continue to loose. Wake up! You can't turn people over as a way to show you are making progress. Wrong business model.

Review of BMC, which is under EDMC

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed all the perks that this company offers, such as tuition assistants, EDMC Perks website, and PTO. For the most part I enjoyed working here, I was given opportunity to make myself worthy and challenged day in and day out.

Cons

Employees were overworked for what they got paid. I was in a smaller school setting with about 250 students and my job was cut, Records Assistant, and so my boss had to take over all the duties which she is already doing Registrar and HR duties. It was unfortunate that my job was cut but if management actually looked at what was being done it was a stupid move.

Stop over working your employee, this is one reason why there is a high turnover rate.

Stepping Stone

Current Employee - Accountant/Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Accountant/Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

work-life balance good, flex schedule

Cons

low ceiling for potential growth.

good student job positions

Current Employee - Librarian (Student Worker) in North Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Librarian (Student Worker) in North Hollywood, CA

I have been working at Education Management Corporation part-time

Pros

If you are a student at Ai, its helps alot by having an on campus job at your school. Its extra finances that could help you and since you are there for long hours anyways. Helps you recognize faculty and staff, directors, and even students

Cons

its an average salary job just to help you get by. Not that many positions and you have to prove that you financially is within a range that needs the source of income.

Good corporation to work for.

I worked at Education Management Corporation

Pros

Great benefits - insurance, paid time off, holidays

Cons

Government scrutinizes for-profit schools so our work can get bogged down in red tape

Time to stop paying the lobbyists to change the government's mind. Put the money back into the students and reform

Great place to learn and advance your skill set

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

With such a wide range of products / projects being worked on at any given moment, there is so much to learn. You'll be a better person just 6 months into working here if you are motivated and willing to learn.

I will and have recommended friends and family to work here, as I see first hand just what experience can be gained from this business.

Cons

With the current political administration's attacks on for profit education, it's hard to say where we are going currently and where we will stand in the next coming years.

Be more engaged with employees in keeping them in the loop at where the company projects are going and how it'll benefit the company. All to often projects happen with no understanding of what and why it's happening.

Sinking Ship - can't be saved.... Run away screaming.

Current Employee - Director in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Director in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Avoid this employer, at all costs. Before even accepting an interview, speak candidly with current or former employees about their thoughts and personal experience.

Cons

Company has cut benefits, did not payout on bonuses, has frozen merit increases, and downsized significantly in 2014. Although an Education Institution, EDMC doesn't train it's employees. There are no perks - downtown parking is at full cost to the employees, Aetna insurance is very expensive with poor coverage and many local providers are out of network, vacation is use it or lose it and there is pressure not to take it or to work during it due to understaffing issues, 401k match was cut, life insurance was cut, and work from home is only in the event of an emergency or special circumstance.
    The whole employment program is geared towards bleeding the employee dry until they leave or are laid off. Severance package is very poor.

Create new products and distribution channels to keep revenue flowing, as student pool is drying up due to scandals, reputation, and governmental hatred for you.

Learn to treat employes as assets vs collateral damage/dispensable liabilities.

Fire your entire leadership staff.