Education Management Corporation

Updated December 21, 2014
Updated December 21, 2014
2.4

Edward H. West

Pros
  • Great people to work with and there are opportunities to move up here and there (in 16 reviews)

• Work/life balance is comfortable unless you have a family; you will work Saturdays (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family (in 19 reviews)

• There is no job security there and you would be stupid to take a job there at this point in time (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Great overall experience! Allowed the opportunity to help others in pursuing their educational goals!

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not micro managed, fulfilling and rewarding work. Amazing work environment, many minor perks of the job. Job title assigned carries a lot of "weight" in the professional world

Cons

"What have you done for me lately" attitude from the management. "Pushed" to accomplish start goals...sometimes beyond what is best for the student

Remember exactly what the staff has to go through with each individual student

Horrible

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Met a lot of awesome people
    Insurance (it's the worst in the area however)

Cons

Company values
    Leadership
    Training
    Pay - although decent, not worth the stress
    No work-life balance
    No job security
    Lots of layoffs
    Unrealistic goals
    High pressured sales job
    Everything else

This really doesn't matter because they wouldn't listen...

I worked in the Pittsburgh office for 2 years. I promise you, I have never worked for a company that caused me so much anxiety. When you are hired you are made to believe that you are going to be working in admissions and calling, interviewing, and recruiting potential interested students. NOT THE CASE. You call hundreds of people that did not even request information! Many of them are illiterate and can't even put a sentence together and somehow you have to sell that individual a 67k degree. It's merely a high pressured sales position and I predict they'll close their doors by early next year. I morally could not go on....I felt so bad about all the students that I deceived into going to college knowing they weren't "college material." Now they have dropped out and have large amounts of debt. If you are considering working here, don't. Move on....

There's no advice to management....just get out because the damage has been done. All the evil that has been sown has come back up to bite you. Education and business don't mix because something will go lacking...If you would have always focused on student success you might be in a different situation and people working there might actually enjoy their job. I have never felt such regret. Working there was a huge mistake and I pray that God can forgive the evil that I sown out of desperation of keeping my job. I finally up and quit because of conscious was not clean.

Avoid this place.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only good thing about working for this company was the people, if you're lucky you will be placed on a team with fun, positive people, and a manger who actually cares about you. Salary is decent but when you factor in parking and benefits it's nothing spectacular.

Cons

Where to start? This place fills their employees with plenty of false hope. This is a glorified telemarketing job. All the schools represented by EDMC have a terrible reputation. With the exception of a very small handful, the majority of people in a leadership role here are a JOKE. Zero professionalism, no concern for people who have families, it's all about recruiting students for the financial gain of the company. Everyone is out for themselves. You will make 400 dials in a day or go crazy from pure boredom. If you don't meet your monthly goals you have to worry about job security. Plan on working overtime and giving up Saturdays if you find yourself in the hole when it comes to meeting goals, and not having a life.

Get a clue.

Admissions

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Tuition reimbursement is a pro
    Direct Supervisors are caring

Cons

no promotions..
    company has taken most benefits including 401k
    Senior Management changes once a quarter
    Company takes away holidays whenever they see fit
    No work life balance, I work almost every Saturday.

This is suppose to be a higher education facility...focus less on the profits and more on the students.

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free coffee and shelter from the elements.

Cons

Anything and everything that's wrong with the world.

Please quit and save the rest of humanity from the lies and contempt they feel for you.

Great people, but money hungry company...

Former Employee - Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed the people I worked with. They were amazing people that I keep in contact with. Work life was good, time off was good, and benefits were great.

Cons

I don't understand why this company hires any people when they just lay everyone off. My whole department was wiped out. It was always about the sale, the numbers, never a pat on the back from management because they only focused on numbers. Many times goals were unattainable, but they didn't care. It was exhausting.

Stop hiring if you are going to lay off people!

Take advantage of their employees

Current Employee - Faculty
    Current Employee - Faculty

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working with students is always rewarding.

Cons

No raises in three years. Took away the 401k match. Health insurance is terrible. Company requires 30 hours on site for faculty as well as they must maintain their status as a working professional in their field. Companies ethics are some times questionable. Faculty are teaching classes for their bosses because they don't have enough time and not being compensated for the extra work.

Pay your employees fairly for the work that they do.

Good people, awful leadership

Former Employee - Director in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Director in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people that do the day to day work are good, hard working people. They do pay more than traditional higher education but the culture is atrocious and leadership doesn't appreciate their staff.

Cons

Horrible culture, benefits have been slashed (no more 401k), can't roll over vacation, cutting jobs and dumping more work on employees.

You preach transparency but you don't do it. Vice Presidents lie to staff to try and get them to leave so they don't have to pay severance. The employee surveys are a joke. Why do you keep doing them when you're not changing anything. Either be honest or just stop talking.

I worked at Education Management Corporation

Pros

co-workers, cafe, compensation, my manager, veterans

Cons

dialing, mundane work, boredom, compliance

Goodbye 401k match!

Former Employee - General Accountant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - General Accountant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people and highly proficient controllership department. Deficient IT and infrastructure investments have hampered and complicated the ongoing efforts to streamline and centralize processes and procedures. Extremely tough regulatory and economic environment for this type of business, and they've done reasonably well given these adverse conditions.

Cons

Their 401k match was reduced to 4% of as june/july 2014 And then, in August 2014, they completely eliminated the match! This change may accelerate the exodus of employees, and make it more unlikely that they will attract highly talented individuals in the future. I understand the business rationale, and it's a very tough decision - may prove to be a short term change for them to avoid another default. In a year or two, things may change and they may become a profitable company again. It's a no win situation in the short term despite having great people on board. I don't doubt that they will emerge intact from this tough time period, but it will take a few years for them to start realizing growth again.

Best of luck!