Education Pioneers Reviews

Scott Morgan

1. Top-Notch Graduate School Fellowship Program

Former Intern - Graduate School Fellow (Summer 2014) in New Orleans, LA
    Former Intern - Graduate School Fellow (Summer 2014) in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Education Pioneers as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The summer fellowship program was extremely well run. We had many interesting and informative workshops and Education Pioneers (EP) introduced us to all of the big names in education in the area. The caliber of fellows is very high. The application process was extremely well-run, including the group interview day and multiple phone calls from alumni throughout the process. Pay is pretty good for a summer fellowship program. I had very positive interactions with the highest EP leadership. The workload was very reasonable, allowing me to get the most out of the experience in a new city. EP is committed to their work and has a clear focus: to bring talented graduate students into education organizations to help kids and develop education leadership for the future.

Cons

No cons to share - this is an excellent program

2. Good company with highly talented and knowledgeable people

Former Employee - Summer Fellow in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Summer Fellow in Washington, DC

I worked at Education Pioneers full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great network of employees and partners
    innovation
    eye for social equality
    flexibility in location

Cons

for summer and full-time fellows, placement process might be a tough phase

I think placement (matching) process could be more transparent

3. Fellowship Process Needs Work

Former Employee - Graduate School Fellowship in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Graduate School Fellowship in Washington, DC

I worked at Education Pioneers

Pros

Great at getting a lot of smart, passionate people in a room together to exchange ideas.
    They partner with a lot of high-impact education organizations, so many fellows have the opportunity to do very substantial work at well known organizations.

Cons

No transparency in the placement process.
    Not respectful of ideological/thought diversity, which is disappointing since they place such a major emphasis on diversity in general.
    Low and mid-level staff that fellows interact with day-to-day are very hit or miss. Some were amazing, some could not have cared less.
    Data is collected from fellows via non-anonymous surveys, so if you have anything other than a 100% positive experience, staff will call you to talk one-on-one and try to convince you otherwise.

More transparency in the placement process.
    Stop hiring mediocre staff just because they are alums.
    Embrace the diversity of ideas and experiences that fellows bring to the table instead of trying to squash them all into your narrow definition of what reform should look like.

5. Analyst Fellow

Current Employee - Analyst Fellow in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst Fellow in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Education Pioneers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The EP staff is incredibly nice, thoughtful, and supportive. The Analyst fellowship will give you access to a strong network of peers, as well as an association with EP, who is known for delivering top-notch analytic and management talent into Education organizations.

Cons

The "placement matching" is not a yet a perfected process, and while EP is extremely successful at finding talented analysts--they have not yet figured out how to make sure that each placement organization is ready for an EP fellow. Potential analysts should take as much control of the placement process as possible (i.e., if you like a particular organization, see if they'll partner with EP to become a placement org. If you have misgivings about the team and/or the work at a potential placement organization--make it known and work it out with EP.)

Focus on making sure that the placement organizations are ready for an EP fellow (check their management skills, the data infrastructure) and/or find ways to help these placement organizations grow to become ready for an EP fellow. This will tremendously improve the accuracy of EP's placement process, and ensure that the maximum # of EP Analyst fellows will come out of the fellowship ecstatic, just as I did!

6. Summer internship position

I have been working at Education Pioneers

Pros

-Amazing bi-weekly workshops where they strive to give you a holistic idea of the education field
    -Mentorship from both a department member at your placement and a member of the EP staff
    -Consistent Feedback and check-ins

Cons

-No transportation cost coverage or relocation payment
    -Sometimes they take a while to place an individual

7. See where the fellowship takes you

I have been working at Education Pioneers

Pros

Education Pioneers is a truly unique opportunity for people to make a difference in schools. Teaching isn't for me, and with Ed Pioneers I'm in a position I enjoy that I wouldn't have known about otherwise. I'm amazed by the people around me, from top companies and schools, who want to change education.

Cons

The compensation is low, but it's only 10 weeks or months, and is higher than other positions in education.

Keep growing but make sure it's sustainable

8. Pursuing Success in Education

I have been working at Education Pioneers

Pros

Education Puoneers is doing what its name says, paving the way for a new approach to education.

Cons

Communicate more for greater exposure.

9. Graduate Fellow

Former Contractor - Graduate School Fellowship in Boston, MA
    Former Contractor - Graduate School Fellowship in Boston, MA

I worked at Education Pioneers as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great partners to work with, and networking abilities. The cohort model is conducive to learning from one another in a diverse environment

Cons

The cohort topics can be a little generic. Requires a lot of effort on the part of the alumnae to stay involved.

10. 10+ years but still very much a start up

I worked at Education Pioneers

Pros

Great people. Very collaborative: if you need help or ideas, just ask for it

Rewarding to introduce people from a business background to lesser known opportunities in K-12 education. Teachers know EP as a path into non-classroom positions in education.

EP is very well known in the education sector. Pride with being affiliated with them!

Cons

Very successful first decade. Figuring out EP's place in the K-12 education sector moving forward is creating a lot of uncertainty.

Staff turnover at the lower and mid-levels is concerning and creates a lot of work for everyone.

Former fellow

Former Contractor - Summer Fellow in Washington, DC
    Former Contractor - Summer Fellow in Washington, DC

I worked at Education Pioneers as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Connections. Great group of other fellows to connect with.

Cons

Narrowly focused mission, way too caught up in education reform without being thoughtful or deliberate in their actions.

Everyone seems so apt to appease fellows without actually listening to their concerns or admitting that their concerns can't be addressed.

Broaden your approach to programming and training days, as well as the content. You do not have to be beholden to your donors.

Make the placement process transparent. You spend so much time finding fellows, but it seems you put no thought into the placement process and just put people where you can.