Education Pioneers Reviews

Reset
3.7
Scott Morgan

1. Analyst Fellow

Pros

- Great people in the fellowships program - Useful network of people

Cons

- The programmatic side of the fellowship needs some work - The pay is low compared to others working within the education space - Finding a placement can be difficult

2. Dive in and Learn

I worked at Education Pioneers full-time

Pros

Great place to learn a lot Amazing coworkers Compelling Mission Build a vast network quickly

Cons

Constant change is the name of the game Unrealistic goals strain staff Long hours

Advice to Management

Be more realistic about goals and do what it takes to reduce turnover.

3. Analyst Fellow

I have been working at Education Pioneers full-time

Pros

Great group of fellows to interact with

Cons

Finding the perfect organization to work for is challenging

Advice to Management

More transparency and let Fellows do recruiting on their own if possible

Summer Fellowship

Former Employee - Consulting Fellow in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Consulting Fellow in Arlington, VA

I worked at Education Pioneers (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent partner organizations with nice projects

Cons

Worst matching process. Overfill the vacancies and then reject with no match after sending the offer.

Advice to Management

Please do not overadvertise the vacancies and never overfill them.

Education Pioneers Response

May 6, 2015 – Chief Administrative Officer

Hello – thank you very much for your input on the matching process. We work very hard to balance the needs of our offer candidates and our partners. We are constantly working to improve our placement ... More

Good company with highly talented and knowledgeable people

Former Employee - Summer Fellow in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Summer Fellow in Washington, DC

I worked at Education Pioneers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great network of employees and partners innovation eye for social equality flexibility in location

Cons

for summer and full-time fellows, placement process might be a tough phase

Advice to Management

I think placement (matching) process could be more transparent

7. lots of work, mission driven

Pros

you're never bored, high commitment from staff

Cons

it's not possible to do all the work and do it well

Advice to Management

get it right before you scale

Fellowship Process Needs Work

Former Employee - Graduate School Fellowship in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Graduate School Fellowship in Washington, DC

Pros

Great at getting a lot of smart, passionate people in a room together to exchange ideas. They partner with a lot of high-impact education organizations, so many fellows have the opportunity to do very substantial work at well known organizations.

Cons

No transparency in the placement process. Not respectful of ideological/thought diversity, which is disappointing since they place such a major emphasis on diversity in general. Low and mid-level staff that fellows interact with day-to-day are very hit or miss. Some were amazing, some could not have cared less. Data is collected from fellows via non-anonymous surveys, so if you have anything other than a 100% positive experience, staff will call you to talk one-on-one and try to convince you otherwise.

Advice to Management

More transparency in the placement process. Stop hiring mediocre staff just because they are alums. Embrace the diversity of ideas and experiences that fellows bring to the table instead of trying to squash them all into your narrow definition of what reform should look like.

Education Pioneers Response

Apr 14, 2015 – Manager, External Relations

Thank you so much for participating in the Graduate School Fellowship. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our recruiting and placement process, as well as our focus on diversity and ... More

9. Summer internship position

Pros

-Amazing bi-weekly workshops where they strive to give you a holistic idea of the education field -Mentorship from both a department member at your placement and a member of the EP staff -Consistent Feedback and check-ins

Cons

-No transportation cost coverage or relocation payment -Sometimes they take a while to place an individual

10. Analyst Fellow

Current Employee - Analyst Fellow in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst Fellow in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Education Pioneers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The EP staff is incredibly nice, thoughtful, and supportive. The Analyst fellowship will give you access to a strong network of peers, as well as an association with EP, who is known for delivering top-notch analytic and management talent into Education organizations.

Cons

The "placement matching" is not a yet a perfected process, and while EP is extremely successful at finding talented analysts--they have not yet figured out how to make sure that each placement organization is ready for an EP fellow. Potential analysts should take as much control of the placement process as possible (i.e., if you like a particular organization, see if they'll partner with EP to become a placement org. If you have misgivings about the team and/or the work at a potential placement organization--make it known and work it out with EP.)

Advice to Management

Focus on making sure that the placement organizations are ready for an EP fellow (check their management skills, the data infrastructure) and/or find ways to help these placement organizations grow to become ready for an EP fellow. This will tremendously improve the accuracy of EP's placement process, and ensure that the maximum # of EP Analyst fellows will come out of the fellowship ecstatic, just as I did!

11. See where the fellowship takes you

Pros

Education Pioneers is a truly unique opportunity for people to make a difference in schools. Teaching isn't for me, and with Ed Pioneers I'm in a position I enjoy that I wouldn't have known about otherwise. I'm amazed by the people around me, from top companies and schools, who want to change education.

Cons

The compensation is low, but it's only 10 weeks or months, and is higher than other positions in education.

Advice to Management

Keep growing but make sure it's sustainable

RSS Feed </> Embed