Educational Data Systems Reviews

Reset
3.1
Kevin Schnieders

Back For a Second Tour

I have been working at Educational Data Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I am disappointed to see some of the negative reviews on this site. I have always had a positive experience working for the company. I worked for EDSI 18 years ago, then left to raise my kids, and when looking to get back into the workforce, EDSI was my first phone call. I knew they would provide the work-life balance I was looking for. I am very satisfied with the flexibility and work-life balance the company provides.

Cons

I honestly can say I do not have anything negative to say about the company.

Advice to Management

Keep looking at new, creative ways to engage those needing flexibility in their schedules.

2. Job Developer

I worked at Educational Data Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We did connect people every month to jobs - and there are opportunities out there. I did like that we connected qualified people to Training to hopefully be qualified for a future position.

Cons

When the Job Developers bring back jobs to the clients - more than 50% do not want to work or feel entitled - Also it is never easy to connect people to work - The world is still competitive, and not everyone will get hired even if they match up 100% for the position you send them for.

Advice to Management

The Community will always need help - Keep doing your best to help!

3. EDSI

Current Employee - File Clerk in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - File Clerk in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

They are proficient in helping people find employment

Cons

There is no growing opportunity from within

Advice to Management

Hire File clerks for accurate filing of client paper work

5. Experience is ok.

I have been working at Educational Data Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great options to use your vacation and sick days. Great starting salaries.

Cons

Not much room for growth

6. Ask a lot of very specific questions in your interview in NYC

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Very upbeat people. Somewhat flexible scheduling. They seem to try to promote/hire from within.

Cons

So upbeat they can see raising issues with the status quo as being negative. Looks like a people-centered organization, but operates much more like a very large bureaucracy. L-O-N-G lead times to action. It may have been a one-time occurrence, but I was very much mislead about the nature of the job when I was hired. Ask direct questions about exactly what your work environment will be. VISIT it!! Ask to see the resources you will have to do your job. Unless you physically see the resources with your own eyes, assume they do not exist. Do not assume that terminology of your trade means to this company what it may mean to you. And if they tell you something specific will be changing, get a firm timeline for that change. And finally, don't put your bag/personal items on the ground at the 125th Street office. It took me months to figure out why people obsessively clean and disinfect their work areas. I thought they were uncomfortable with the clientele being served. I was only informed when it reached crisis proportions -- actually sometime after that point! They are the masters of positive spin. But many people seem happy with their jobs overall, so ask a lot of questions, and see if it is right for you.

Advice to Management

Be honest to new hires. It's the right thing to do, and it's better for your business.

7. Best Company I Have Ever Worked For

I have been working at Educational Data Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work-life balance, easy access to executives - ideas are listened to, great communication through employee newsletter and videos, company values, employees are regularly recognized for their accomplishments, management really cares about each individual

Cons

I have read the "cons" on other reviews and must say that I have not had that experience at EDSI

Advice to Management

Continue regular communication with all offices. Keep doing what you're doing!

Very unprofessional company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Educational Data Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flex Days are the best part of this company

Cons

No Direction from management Lack of training to perform job efficiently

Advice to Management

Provide better training opportunities to staff

Thorough Training and Great Support

Current Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at Educational Data Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Flex Program (gives us 3 day weekends every other week) * 2 Week Paid Training (the training was very thorough and extremely helpful to help hit the ground running) * Mentorship (throughout my first few months of employment, my assigned mentor was a great asset) * Room for Advancement (in my short time here, I have seen 2 co-workers get promotions)

Cons

* Comparatively Low Starting Salary (compared to other companies in this city, the starting salary is about 20% lower) * No Bonus Incentive for Individual Performance (having been used to compensation tied to performance, this has been difficult to adjust to)

Advice to Management

The management at our center is organized and has done a good job improving our performance. The best advice I can give to management at headquarters is to establish a bonus incentive program for individual performance.

A great company held back by it's own inconsistencies.

Current Employee - Staff Member in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Staff Member in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Educational Data Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flex Time Working to help better the community. No nights/weekends/holidays.

Cons

Most of the contracts are based on government funding which seems to be shrinking every year. The Corporate office is the epitome of Nepotism. When yearly merit increases are handed out the max is 5% for staff except those at the Corporate office who are handed out 10-15% increases despite the local offices having to support Corporate instead of the other way around. Staff at the Corporate office are allowed to take month long vacations with pay while the handbook says 13 days for anyone with 5+ years of service. General inconsistencies in the enforcement of policy at the local and corporate levels. Local managers seem helpless to correct staff who do not operate with the companies 3 core values of Smile, Show Up and Support. HR seems to be unable to make any decisions about employees as all decisions come from the CEO, even when they are in opposition of the companies lawyer. Fiscal department seems to be filled with people who do not have any form of fiscal background or education.

Advice to Management

Revamp the structure at the corporate office. Less wasteful spending. Support the local employees better. They are the ones on the front line doing the grunt work.

Horrible company to work for

I have been working at Educational Data Systems full-time

Pros

Flex days are the best things about this company

Cons

The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing No direction No training No follow up

Advice to Management

Get a clue

RSS Feed </> Embed