Educational Testing Service

Educational Testing Service Reviews in Princeton, NJ

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Educational Testing Service President and CEO Kurt M. Landgraf

Kurt M. Landgraf

Pros
  • Great work life balance if you are in the right department (in 16 reviews)

• Flexible hours, can work from home (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • As a non-profit, ETS doesn't naturally seek efficiency (in 5 reviews)

• Management Style can be worked upon (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights
41 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Efficient, friendly

Assessment Specialist (Former Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsLearning opportunities, good colleagues, many training programs, decent benefits, reasonable management, beautiful campus, short commute for me, growing, competitive in the market place

ConsLack of advancement opportunities, salary not very high, sometimes overworked, most people work in cubicles, poor HR department,

Great general culture, but watch for "coasters" and bad eggs.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsThe company culture is pretty welcoming. From the top to the bottom, it seems that most people want to show support in helping one another and believe in the company's products/services. Leadership seems to care about their employees more than you'd see at other companies that size or larger. They take the time and effort to communicate and be fair in making considerations.

ConsA surprising number of people have been at the company for what seems like forever. I can't believe the number of people I know that have been here 20, 30, 40+ years. That kind of makes for a cold welcome and a "you wouldn't know, you're new here, so I won't waste my time explaining" attitude. These are also the same people who have taken their foot off the gas, coasting until retirement (which is considered perfectly acceptable to many of their colleagues!). There are also a few bad eggs within that demographic, who were extremely unprofessional - to a malicious extent. I'm no prude, a "rough" social environment is no big deal to me, but this was simply unacceptable. It would be all smiles to someone's face, but quickly shift to some classless comments about the person (in front of others) once they left the room. These same people - grown adults, mind you - also felt it was OK to play games and videos on their phones and tablets during meetings, often showing or mentioning their activity to other colleagues in the room. This would cause some discomfort and eye rolling among everyone else in the room as it was clearly in poor form. But nothing was ever said to management as I supposed no one felt it was *way* over the line, despite the consistency of the behavior. However, when others were not around - I suppose because I was a more "trusted" colleague - I had to hear some of most derogatory, prejudice, and offensive comments I've heard in an office environment. Worse was that it was all in the context of throwing colleagues under the bus. The comments were completely unwarranted given the effort and professionalism the other colleagues exhibited, but these "bad eggs" were fair-weather colleagues. When anything in their world went wrong or became tough, the first reaction was to take it out on others. In one instance, there was great praise for two newer consultants early in the week, then a call to their Director later the same week, declaring that they should be let go because "they've been completely useless and are a waste of money from our budget". More ridiculous, was the fact that every meeting the rest of the week consisted of telling everyone that these two colleagues were being let go (despite never getting feedback from the Director). Over time, I became worried that the same types of things were being said about me behind my back. Unfortunately, it turned out that my concern was a reality, having caught wind of a few comments about me which were not intended for me me to see/hear - all in a brief period of time. I have since left and feel guiltless about doing so. I've also come to understand that my replacement has already been let go for poor performance, which I find very hard to believe having got to know my replacement's work habits and skills (though to be fair, anything's possible and I wasn't there). It should have been an instant red flag to me when I discovered I was the fourth person in that role in two years, but now I know better.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch for the long-timers letting things stagnate. Also keep an eye out for those who think they can get away with constant unprofessional behavior just because they've been here for so long (hint - it happens).

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Intern

Intern (Former Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsThere are so many experts. It feels like the "Google" of education. There's always interesting seminars going on.

ConsThe location is probably the worst part of the job. There really isn't much around the area especially if you're more of a city person. There aren't very many young people working at the company either.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company could use more diversity and new energy.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very nice mentors and relax working environments

Research Intern (Current Employee) Princeton, NJ

Prosit provides free accommodations (the suite for two persons) for each research intern. The living environment is very good. ETS also arranges many events for the interns to chat with the senior employees.

Consthe salary is not competitive though.

Great colleagues

Research Scientist (Current Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsColleagues in R&D are great, very cooperative, very supportive. Managers appreciate their staff. People get the chance to move around to new roles if they want, even in different areas of the organization. The system is set up to reward employees in a number of ways. Leadership seems to be doing a good job and folks seem overall pretty happy. I haven't met anyone who thinks the grass would be greener someplace else.

ConsSome roles in R&D get very busy, but you have some control over planning your workload.

Fast Paced Environment

Customer Service (Former Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsVery friendly and knowledgable coworkers

ConsCustomers calling with unrealistic expectations

Talented and friendly people, nice atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsProfessional, yet laid back, work environment. Organization contributes to charities and encourages employee participation in charity work.

ConsInternet connection is a bit slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo green. Too much paper waste. Try using recyclable plastics in cafeteria.

IT Intern

IT Intern (Former Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsPaid for housing in a hotel, on Route 1. I had lots of freedom in deciding how to approach the project I was assigned. They have several free food events per week, typically. The other interns were cool people.

ConsFelt a little lost at times as to what was expected of me. Not sure if my work will have a clear impact.

Great!

Intern (Former Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsThe people are amazing and make you feel welcome. The senior management is always open to taking out time to discuss things with you. It's a great place to gain both work experience and learn about the education industry- there are fortnightly workshops that are very informative and worth attending. But the crown definitely goes to ETS for the amazing and super-friendly people.

ConsVery few cons. One might be that the departments have little collaboration and so when I was trying to get the support of another department for a research project, the process took a really long time and I had to spend much time in meetings.

Topped out of payscale and need to move on

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsGreat CEO and visionaries within the organization. Equality across the board, pension, great benefits, nice place to work.

ConsStuck in pay grade. Cannot advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome VPs are not leaders.

Worked for Educational Testing Service? Contribute to the Community!