Eduventures

Eduventures Reviews

Updated December 3, 2014
Updated December 3, 2014
2.6

Eduventures President & CEO Mark R. Nemec, Ph.D.
Mark R. Nemec, Ph.D.

Great Ideas, Great Opportunity, Dynamic Sector

Current Employee - Research
    Current Employee - Research

I have been working at Eduventures full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great to be part of a broader movement to bring evidence based decision making to higher education. Very open and transparent culture. Big emphasis on ideas. Strong talent with an emphasis a high performance culture.

Cons

Scale can be challenging. Similar to the client base and the business sector, the company is in transition.

Continue to push clients and the company forward. Don't be scared of change.

Train Wreck

I worked at Eduventures

Pros

Well there's a twenty word minimum for "pros"....and I'm having a hard time filling it.

Cons

Actively observing the train wreck that is this company is part entertaining, part really sad and disappointing. Just when you think they can't possibly make worse decisions, the leadership team comes through and does! Now that all of their targets from the previous CEO (who is still listed as the current CEO on here, but left in June) have been ousted, the leadership team has no one else to turn on but themselves. Who's next to go? It's not going to be one of the people the new CEO hired, that's for sure. There's a limited number of options left.

I don't think any advice will help the management, none of whom have any expertise in the industry they are serving. My advice is for the people who are still there - best case scenario is they are prepping the company to sell. Get out while the getting is good!

Not up to par with Competition

I worked at Eduventures full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people, people, people... They hire some of the most talented people around. They are dedicated and passionate about higher ed.

Working from home. There is no question when it comes to working from home. The vacation policy is so lax that they don't even track time.

Cons

They are loosing and have lost some of the brightest talent due to compensation, no definitive vision, terrible product line, and an executive team that no one has faith in.

Beware. Know what you're getting into!

I have been working at Eduventures full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Location, very intelligent and dedicated colleagues. Good Benefits. Flex hours.

Cons

Company going down the toilet and the environment is toxic and horrible. CEO and VPs are all from the same company not in Higher education trying to put a square pegs into round holes. Not working.

It's not about negative people who work themselves out of the company -are you kidding?? If that's the case then that's more than 60% in 1 year! At this point, it's you and not them. Let's face it, you're leading but people are not following because they don't trust your competency. The few people who are left are either interviewing or waiting for doomsday. Advice: We need real leaders. You're ruining the company and pushing the blame on everyone else but yourselves for coming in and not understanding the higher education industry well enough. Step down!

Great experience, challenging environment

I worked at Eduventures full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working alongside brilliant thought leaders every day motivated me to expand both my research skills and my content knowledge on higher education. I found the work sufficiently challenging and liked that I had a manager who appreciated me. This was a great first job out of graduate school and has made me marketable to other employers in both consulting and in higher education.

Cons

Unrealistic client expectations about deliverables made delivery one of my least favorite tasks. Trial-by-fire is par for the course, which makes it a challenge to adequately train new staff and develop a cohesive voice. Reorganizations were constant and not well-telegraphed, either internally or externally.

Continue to refine Eduventures' voice in the market while supporting your talented employees.

Look elsewhere in the higher education industry.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Eduventures full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Energetic and bustling downtown location. Free cereal if you're in to that sort of thing. Good operational on-boarding process.

Cons

Autocratic rule. Because Eduventures is tiny, the President & CEO is regularly visible to the team in the form of regular town hall meetings. However, what's implied in these communications is that the former leadership team did not know what it was doing -- and by association, neither did the employees. The 'I'm here to save you from yourselves' refrain comes off as insulting and arrogant. At the same time the business has steadily declined over the past two years in the form of analyst attrition, client attrition, and lost revenue. Worth noting that this is a company that plays in the challenging research and advisory space, and is up against large, well-heeled competitors.

Make the team believe they have worthwhile ideas to help Eduventures succeed. Admitting you don't have all the answers is not a sign of weakness. In fact the opposite is true. Chesty academic rhetoric does not play well in a business setting. Win the hearts of the team, and you'll gain much needed loyalty (not just from the Forrester people).

Questionable

I have been working at Eduventures full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Higher ed consulting is an evolving, interesting industry to be a part of.
    Nice interactions among colleagues.
    Ability to build strong relationships with decisions makers at colleges.

Cons

Many highly regarded people are no longer associated with the company.

Retaining employees continues to be an issue.

Employee roles are constantly changing and shifting. The company reorganizes and offers new products options/pricing on an ongoing basis. That should say something.

Understand the value that each employee brings to the team. Transparency goes a long way in building trust and commitment to any organization. There needs to be consistency in order to build a brand and reputation. Unfortunately, perpetual changes prevent that from happening.

Save Yourself The Headache

I have been working at Eduventures full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is made up of some very talented people. Unfortunately, those talented people don't stay after realizing what a mess of a company it is turning into.

Cons

Prospective Employees:
    Many of the jobs see posted are not really open. They will try to sell you on the fact that it's a startup (not true, the company has been around since 93).

Prospective Clients:
    Do your homework and don't be so easily sold. Product options continue to change.
    Make sure you understand the value proposition of partnering with Eduventures.

The company has been reorganized countless times. Obviously something is not working.

The same patterns/issues keep coming up at Eduventures. There are many established, well-run higher ed consulting firms that you are competing against.

Work on your internal communication skills with employees. Be more transparent with major changes if you want to earn trust and retain valuable employees.

Young company great for entry-level assoc but no room for growth

Former Employee - Research Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Eduventures full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Small company, work with all types of colleges/universities all across US
    Learn a lot as entry-level associate
    Try really hard to foster great company with office events
    Great office location

Cons

No room for growth - some of the mentoring/"fast-track" programs don't seem fair (nominations and selections process not transparent and inherently flawed)
    Favoritism was blatant among senior leadership
    At the time I was working, it was peak of recession and there were rounds of massive layoffs (and selection/communication was not handled very well)
    Still really young of a company to establish good culture and career paths

Be open and transparent with employees
    Need to have more structure around development/growth of associates depending on level

Opportunities for Growth

I worked at Eduventures

Pros

I enjoyed working at the company and everyone seemed to enjoy working there. Great team environment.

Cons

I would probably say there is a lack of feedback on how your job is being perceived.

None