Edward Jones

Edward Jones Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Edward Jones Managing Partner Jim Weddle

Jim Weddle

Pros
  • If you choose the team carefully you can have a good work/life balance(in 35 reviews)

• Great training one of the best programs in the industry for training financial advisors(in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Out of date prospecting, door to door simply doesn't work in some areas(in 49 reviews)

• Door knocking was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life(in 63 reviews)

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Can't imagine living a better life than I am with jones

Financial Advisor (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros-Independence to work as you please and do what is successful for your particular strengths
    -Income potential. I started straight out of college, taking over a very small book (less than 5 million), and didn't sell to any friends or family, yet still have made more than 100% of my friends every single year just by following Jones' recipe
    -Work life balance. I come in as I please and leave as I please
    -Pride in running your own office
    -satisfaction in truly making a difference in your clients lives (being that you truly do what's right for your clients)
    -traveling. Not only are the diversification trips unbelievable, but the summer regionals are very nice and the due diligence trips are great.

Cons-Nepotism. Friends or family of regional leader or GPS always get the best situation.
    -Those that take over good situations always have the best advantage for leadership roles and partnership. I feel like they need to take what you take over onto consideration when giving out leadership roles

Think carefully before doing this

Financial Advisor (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsA good opportunity if you can take the trade offs

ConsThe health insurance is horrible - don't take this job if you need to use your insurance/go to the doctor your first few years

Advice to Senior ManagementBe clearer with people interviewing that the health insurance deductible is 6500 a year for a family every year, and that premiums will go up every year. Long term disability coverage fluctuates based on someone's income while employed. The St. Louis trainings are grueling and this job takes huge physical endurance. Reconsider this if you have family or personal responsibilities as it is not easy.

Great company to work for if you have a family

Intern (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat work life balance at this company, treat employees generally well and most seem happy. Work for yourself and make your own opportunities.

ConsIf you aren't driven or don't like interacting with others this is not the job for you. Can be rough to start and build you client base.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Difficult to be successful there

Financial Advisor (Former Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsPositive work environment, good leadership

ConsSmall two branch offices make the days lonely. Door knocking was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life. It is particularly difficult in saturated areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop opening up branches in saturated areas like St. Louis and Chicagoland. You shouldn't drive down one street and find three Edward Jones in less than a mile.

Middle of the pack

Financial Advisor (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat opportunity to start without established book, network of financial advisors very helpful, reasonable monthly sales goals

ConsLimited Market/stock Research and mediocre commission structure

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better market and stock research to help FAs service their clients

Great company and culture but know what you are signing up for

Financial Advisor (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsAbility to control your own destiny and be your own boss, great culture within the regions, help/training readily available...just need to ask, helping people achieve their goals and dreams

ConsI love EDJ but know this: It's a 100% commission/fee-based after 2 years, door-knocking/prospecting = lots of rejection, handling clients complaints = managing people of all different types, high stress situations at times (but what important job doesn't have that)

Advice to Senior ManagementThink outside the box - as EDJ is anything but a flat organization. Flat in the field, yes, but their are so many layers of corporate B.S. in St. Louis that it almost creates an "us" versus "them" culture. If it's truly a partnership, then advisors should know about how they could potentially ascend within the region and the firm. With the bold growth initiatives of 2020 there needs to be more field based area leaders that aren't 20+ year vets aka middle aged, white males. Embrace younger, successful advisors that think outside the box for these roles along with women and minorities. You may "say" you are doing some of this, but you are not.

Internship

Intern (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat oppertunity, Learned tons, great on resume!

Conscan be boring still working out kinks

Things are changing

Financial Advisor (Former Employee) Glen Ellyn, IL

ProsGood Training; Branch Assistants help us handle client accounts; Bonus Bracket = good times; Div trips are fantastic! Good marketing brochures/newsletters!

ConsVeteren Advisors not able to grow business except through Advisory Program (which is not very strong compared to other firms); The Partnership is being manipulated by GP's and there hasn't been an offering for 4 years now and I hear there won't be for a few more years! The Medical benefits costs for non-GP Advisors is off the chart expensive.

Regional Leaders have too much power and control. I was made aware of the fact that a RL in Chicagoland was given a $100M non-competive office and still poached big clients out of offices where the Advisor was fired, quit or left for another firm. This went on for 10 years!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet feedback from the field and provide opportunity for good FA's even if they don't want to go to Home Office!

One size fits all training doesn't fit me.

Financial Advisor (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSupport, lifestyle, company morals. Branch set up.

ConsTraining is the same for everyone regardless of experience or level.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't cater to the mediocre.

Great place to start

Financial Advisor (Former Employee) West Chicago, IL

ProsPaid training and good support starting out. If you are lucky enough to get an office with existing client base, this is a great career.

ConsThe prospecting methods are outdated. Knocking on doors in an era where people rarely even answer phones is a terrible way to prospect.

Worked for Edward Jones? Contribute to the Community!