Edward Jones

Edward Jones Reviews in Portland, OR

Updated Jun 13, 2014

Edward Jones Managing Partner Jim Weddle

Jim Weddle

Pros
  • If you choose the team carefully you can have a good work/life balance(in 35 reviews)

• Great training one of the best programs in the industry for training financial advisors(in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Out of date prospecting, door to door simply doesn't work in some areas(in 49 reviews)

• Door knocking was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life(in 63 reviews)

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Received some of the best training in the industry with Edward Jones.

Financial Advisor (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsEdward Jones is consistently rated by Forbes as one of the top 100 companies to work for. They are a professional organization and ensure all of their employees are ethical and honest in their business. They are community focused and encourage their employees to engage with the people in the city in which their office is located.

ConsAs a financial advisor at Edward Jones, you will be asked to do a lot of sales type activities and put in very long hours. The ability to earn a high salary is a far stretch and can take a financial advisor many, many years to achieve. And, their health insurance coverage is a high deductible coverage so be prepared to spend a lot of your own money out of pocket.

Excellent Training at Headquarters

Financial Advisor (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsGreat potential for high salary

ConsDon't see family very much

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication between corporate and field

Business model

Financial Advisor (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsGood sales people and technical software.

ConsToo much sales pushing in an environment where there should be none, especially as a Financial Advisor. Its a conflict of interest.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much overhead at the local office, share the BOA with 2 FA's or more.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Commission sales, never forget that.

Financial Advisor (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsAutonomy and freedom as to the investments and clients I choose. My own office, assistant and strategies. Lots of help and support from the home office. No incentive to churn your friends and relatives.

ConsRegulations make the job nearly impossible, long hours, late nights, frustrating conversations with a support staff who is friendly but often you will hear 3 different answers to one question. An over-saturated market in my area- 4-5 jones offices within 2 miles.

Advice to Senior Managementdon't recommend an advisor open up shop when you've got 2 other offices down the street. Provide more marketing help, call lists in addition to door knocking.

Great potential, but only for a very specific DNA

Financial Advisor (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsIf you can stick in the business, your pay will be excellent over the course of time
    Independence
    Profit sharing and profitability bonus can be very lucrative
    GREAT place to gain experience on many different types of assets/investments, esp for a young person looking to find a niche in the world of finance
    Very ethical company

ConsVERY, very, very challenging to begin as a young person without much experience
    Expectations become lofty quickly
    People with connections often get great perks (this frustrated me immensely)
    You must be expecting a highly sales-based job - at times the "advice" is secondary

Advice to Senior Managementgive young advisors without connections a leg up
    realize that when the economy/market is poor, sales are extremely difficult (expectations do not change)

Worked for Edward Jones? Contribute to the Community!