Edward Jones Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

3.7

Edward Jones Managing Partner Jim Weddle
Jim Weddle

Pros
  • If you choose the team carefully you can have a good work/life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Great training one of the best programs in the industry for training financial advisors (in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • Out of date prospecting, door to door simply doesn't work in some areas (in 49 reviews)

• Door knocking was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life (in 63 reviews)

More Highlights

This is a great company that cares about its clients and employees

Current Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everything at Jones is above board and ethical. If you work hard, do what you know you need to do, you can be very successful. There is no pressure to push one product or another, people do genuinely care about the clients, and anyone in the firm will help you.

The div trips are great, payout is good and getting better.

Cons

The door knocking model is not for the faint of heart. Everyone had to do it, so it does work, but it is exhausting.

We need marketing that appeals to more than the nickel and dime client. The old model of appealing to country folks needs drastic updating to appeal to the sophisticated urban/suburban clientele.

The best company I have ever had the privilege working for.

I have been working at Edward Jones

Pros

Support, autonomy, pay, training. My experience has been fantastic. The people you work with are talented and hard working. Everyone in the field volunteers their time to help you succeed.

Cons

There is definitely some kool aid to drink but when the company pays this well and treats you like a king then what's not to like.

Keep it up!

Great environment, but at a cost.

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time

Pros

Strong work/life balance. Great training and coaching. They will make you an expert at your job and teach you everything you need to know to be successful in your position.

Cons

Pay is well below market for similar jobs in the industry. You can obtain every license you need and exceed expectations in every review, but do not expect a raise out of it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Service Specialist

Current Employee - Service Specialist II  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Service Specialist II in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a partnership and they know that they need to do good by their employees. My leaders consistently ask me what the company can do for me to make me feel like this is the best place to work. I love the culture and my coworkers.

Cons

Sometimes it's easy to get bogged down in the day to day operations. I wish there were more variety in my daily work. There is very little turnover in my area which means that there are some very senior associates and it is super hard sometimes to be placed on project teams in order to get experience for advancement.

Great Summer Experience

Current Employee - Financial Advisor Intern  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edward Jones as an intern for less than a year

Pros

So hard to go over everything, but the best for sure is the experience you gain working directly with a Financial Advisor. The program is ran by people who truly want the best for you. Regardless of if you plan to follow this career path, it is an amazing summer where there is never a dull moment; I'd reccomend this internship to anyone looking to work in the field.

Cons

While the internship program tries their best to make sure you are constantly busy, there are some times when your advisor doesn't need your help and the program leaders don't have something for you to do. Also, some activities don't work for every intern; all offices are different.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Great people, great culture

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very friendly environment with leaders who set a purposeful vision. Good benefits, too.

Cons

Work-life balance has become an issue over the past couple of years.

No advice to share at this time.

Not bad for a brokerage, but still...you're not an entrepreneur

Former Employee - Investment Representative
    Former Employee - Investment Representative

I worked at Edward Jones full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company has more extensive training than others in brokerage industry, loves you if you are a competitive hetero white male with a wife and kids who can support you, does not force brokers to sell proprietary products, has a conservative investment philosophy that rarely hurts clients (but they don't know what they're missing).. Supportive in terms of offering help from other brokers in the region. Great company for brokers in small towns with no competition.

Cons

They say it's your own business, but it's not, you're an employee and are replaced immediately. All they want you to do is sell, they don't tell you about costs of your office, you don't negotiate your own lease; there are quotas and production requirements, and they often move the line up, no one is safe. The only way to be successful here is to go into a LARGE (not a small) office of someone who left -- and be careful that they didn't jump ship and will take clients. You want the office of a retiree. They have one way to do things -- doorknock, then repeatedly call prospects -- and if you don't want to do that, or it doesn't work in your large or mid-sized city, they don't know what else to do and you must not be doorknocking enough. Just started offering advisory accounts and investments are chosen by home office, there is little choice for broker. They will fire a broker who doesn't have the numbers, give his office to someone who is new, lose a lot of clients who liked the old broker, and it'll take 2+ years for the new guy to get to where the od guy was before they canned him, plus clients are lost and damage done to brand. That's the biz, though. They're not the only ones who do it.

Huh? They're not listening. They've got a formula, and they're working it.

Great stepping stone...

Former Employee - FACD  in  Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - FACD in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Edward Jones full-time for more than a year

Pros

Meet great colleauges who will become your friends for life (even after Jones).

Cons

Hard work for little pay

Be nicer and more encouraging. You are not gods, you are humans. Be more sensitive to the pressures of training.

Don't be someone's "div trip"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Edward Jones full-time for more than a year

Pros

They pay you for studying and working.

Cons

"Div Trip" (or, diversification trip): An expensive, luxurious vacation afforded to certain EJ employees for, among other things, signing up another poor soul to join their cult. Ask your recruiter about it.

What they don't tell you: To be successful, you need to either have a lot of affluent people ready to invest OR the resources to stick this out 3-5 years. They didn't discuss this with me and, being in the military for nearly a decade, successfully duped me into a career that left me virtually bankrupt and taking my family out of state to live with relatives. Oh yeah--and I was way "above standard" (even won Triple Crown from people I door knocked), worked harder than most, but around month 9 I saw that the income just wasn't going to be there as soon as they told me it would. I did my due diligence before accepting the offer, but no one at Jones will tell you the truth. Culture schmulture.

Be real with your applicants. Quit trying to open an office on every corner in Main St, USA. You're hurting families.

Good place to gain experience, but that is about it. The "culture" is kind of creepy.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of support from the back office. They make portfolio construction and the technical aspects very easy.

Cons

The reality is you are a door to door salesman and that is how you have to run your business. Good opportunity for some, not for others.

Some markets are way too saturated so quit putting new advisors there. Also, get with the times.

Worked for Edward Jones? Contribute to the Community!