Edward Jones

Edward Jones Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Edward Jones Managing Partner Jim Weddle

Jim Weddle

Pros:
  • "Great work life balance at this company, treat employees generally well and most seem happy"
    in 30 reviews
  • "Great training one of the best programs in the industry for training financial advisors"
    in 59 reviews
Cons:
  • "Out of date prospecting, door to door simply doesn't work in some areas"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Door knocking was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life"
    in 61 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Be sure you want this job

Financial Advisor (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time for less than a year

ProsSteady, good training, positive corporate atmosphere. Complete freedom of schedule

ConsDo you really want to spend your life begging other people for their money, just to run it through a computer system and then shave off a certain percentage for yourself? It's not the company, it's the career.

Independent and Organized Company. Rewards high acheivers very well

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time

ProsTremendous Corp support, high $$ rewards for success.

ConsMicro management from HQ and no flexibility

One of the best companies I have worked for in my financial career.

Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOffice flexiable, able to transfer within the firm, excellent benefits

ConsAfter Sr promotion, no more movement up for assistants.

Edward Jones is consistently rated the best place to work for a reason.

Financial Advisor (Current Employee)
Arlington, TX

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFantastic Training, great leadership, great benefits, unbelievably good people.

ConsDoor Knocking for the first few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, do not change your successful model.

Exceptional values and culture; upward & lateral moves difficult.

Non-Reg On-Caller BOA (Current Employee)
Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Edward Jones part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company as a whole offers excellent working conditions, excellent training, good benefits, the best integrity and exceeds all industry standards. For financial advisors, the income and opportunity, combined with support and corporate backing is beyond comparison (in my opinion). As a branch office administrator, the work/life balance is excellent, wages are very good, bonuses can be a huge plus if working with a successful and generous advisor. The ability to be your own person, work independently and achieve personal satisfaction is part of the business model at Edward Jones and can be very rewarding.

ConsAs is typical with any investment company, there are tons of rules and regulations to follow and be wary of. This is obviously an industry standard, but something to steer clear of if you aren't a "rule follower" type of person. There is no "doing things your own way" in this business; ever. Career advancement can be difficult, if not impossible with Edward Jones unless you know someone high up on the totem pole in the area you want to advance in. It's a big company with a small company feel to it and a lot of position advancement or location change comes from knowing the right person/persons.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore emphasis and importance needs to be given to the branch office administrators in regards to hearing and taking action about their concerns. Many of these women ( 98% are women in this capacity) would like to change their location or have a chance to split their hours with someone else (job share) but this is difficult, if not impossible. A lot of back stabbing goes on for the ones who don't mesh well with the advisor and Corporate nearly always sides with the advisor.

Financial Advisor Trainee

Financial Advisor Trainee (Current Employee)

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time for less than a year

ProsEveryone you meet is part of a vast support channel. I was shocked to be welcomed with open arms in an industry that has a bad reputation for intense competition and back stabbing. I have not seen any of these bad rumors that my friends have at competing firms.

ConsRejection and hearing the word "no" can be intimidating.

Advice to Senior ManagementEdward Jones is for the serious, long term investor. With that said, there are restrictions for the investment vehicles we can provide to the clients because some of them are too risky. If I had any advice, and I say this with a grain of salt, is to open up all investment vehicles so we can offer our clients more.

I couldn't imagine working for another firm.

Chesterfield, MO

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time for more than 10 years

ProsEDJ really gets balancing work and family life. There's a great sense of openness and equality among all levels of associates. You can not overestimate the value of being a private partnership and a brokerage firm. We have the freedom to serve our clients for the long term, and to not be swayed by short term fads or pushes for short term profits.

ConsNothing moves quickly at EDJ. But when changes come, they're usually done right. So you've got to be patient.

The best company I've ever worked for!

Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time

ProsThey seem to truly care about the employees, and employees always treat each other with the utmost courtesy and respect. It's a great culture. The benefits are wonderful. They have everything you could possibly want, including lots of paid days off. The training is thorough and there is great support. Any time you have a question, someone will help you at Home Office or in the field. I hope they keep me a long time!!

ConsIf you are the sort of person who feeds off of other people and need to have lots of chatty co-workers, you might find it a bit lonely, because most offices just have the Financial Advisor and one Branch Office Administrator (me). But I thrive in this atmosphere and get so much more done than I used to when I worked in an office with people stopping by my desk all the time. I will say that it is important to like your office partner, since there are only two of you (in some cases a 2nd BOA).

Advice to Senior ManagementI have the feeling that Jim Weddle is a really good human being. I read his "Jim Weddle's Corner" every time it comes out, and that can give you a feel for him as a person. Plus I see real proof in things like the huge contribution he made on behalf of the company to the WWI museum and other things that he does. I just pray that the corporate culture we have stays like this and doesn't get diluted as we grow, because we have something good here.

Compliance Supervision Position

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Edward Jones full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company has a good work culture with plenty of training.

ConsThe position demands too much into one position to be effectively done in a timely manner. It is impossible to keep up with unless you are willing to work day and night and weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the job load to a reasonable amount or you will face burn out by associates and not be able to retain good people, whereby finding yourself in a constant state of having to retrain new people who will ultimately not last more than a couple of years before they leave due to too much pressure to accomplishe too much with too little time to do it effectively. Hire more people and reduce the pressure on good, well qualified people.

Overall, my experience is postitive.

BOA Branch Office Administrator (Current Employee)
Dayton, OH

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time for more than 8 years

ProsInteresting work with great clients. Flexible hours and excellent office amenities.

ConsWith just 2 people in each office, there is no back up. The job can take over your life.

Advice to Senior ManagementBOA position should have several levels other than 2. The greater responsibility, the greater the pay.

Worked for Edward Jones? Contribute to the Community!

Edward Jones Videos

Edward Jones – Why Work for Us?

A More Personal Approach to Success You know the financial services industry, but you may not know Edward Jones. We are a unique industry leader known for our more personal approach to business. From locating… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Edward Jones reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Edward Jones CEO Jim Weddle. All 789 reviews posted anonymously by Edward Jones employees.