Edward Jones

Edward Jones Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Edward Jones Managing Partner Jim Weddle

Jim Weddle

Pros:
  • "If you choose the team carefully you can have a good work/life balance"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Great training one of the best programs in the industry for training financial advisors"
    in 60 reviews
Cons:
  • "Out of date prospecting, door to door simply doesn't work in some areas"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Door knocking was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life"
    in 62 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company, but business model not a good fit for me

Seattle, WA

ProsIndependence, great training, regional leadership in my area was and is fantastic, as are all the people I met while working for the company. If you can "drink the green kool aid", you will love it. The people that succeed are incredibly passionate about what they do and the company, and it's inspiring. Got to meet several former managing partners while working for the company. If you like being on your own without a boss, you will like it. You have support, but you have to seek it out and pick up a phone in order to get it. You really do get to build your business as you want to, as long as you are profitable and ethical, which is really empowering.

ConsThe business model just wasn't a great fit for me- you are very isolated, working from home for a good portion of your training. You have trainers and mentors but, as they are also FAs, their priority is building their own business and you sometimes feel like you are imposing. I am more team-oriented and did not like the idea of sharing my office with just a BOA, which I might not have had any input on hiring. As with most financial firms, getting as many contacts as possible is the priority, and left very little time for any sort of life outside of work (I wanted to go back to school for my MBA, and was told there simply wouldn't be time). If you are a woman, be prepared to be severely outnumbered- my region had the best m-f ratio in the country, but I heard from other women that it was a boys' club and that there was some perceived biases that you couldn't do the job and be a good mother and wife (I heard that from a woman in the South). Even though you go door-knocking during the interview process, I was shocked at how difficult it was day in and day out. Pay for FA trainees is on par with industry, but a lot less than I made at my previous job as a retail manager for a large cell phone company. Be prepared for 60-70 hour work weeks and sleepless nights stressing over numbers. From what I was told, it doesn't get better until year 4. It's helpful to have a spouse that doesn't work, but my husband has his own career and it was too much for us at this time.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly, it was a great experience and I am really grateful for the opportunity; it just wasn't a good fit for me and my family at this point in our lives. Having great regional leadership makes a huge difference, and I have nothing but respect for those that can stick it out.

Best Job I have ever had

On-Call Branch Office Administrator (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsOnly have to work with one person in office. Work life balance is right on. The benefits are amazing.

ConsThe pay is very low for a BOA position. Should be higher because of the amount of work you do compared to the amount of work the FA does.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake salaries more desireable.

Branch Office Admin

BOA Branch Office Administrator (Former Employee)
    Charleston, SC

ProsVery supportive of office staff. Great work / life balance. Edward Jones loves its family oriented culture.

ConsFA's are given priority over BOAs. Some BOA are actually treated quite badly by their FAs and corporate does very little about this.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enjoyed my time...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEdward Jones offered employee training.

ConsI can't think of any cons.

Great company to work for!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people were always helpful, work/life balance was good, the culture was good. Overall good place to work.

ConsPay was okay, could be better. They seem to lag behind other large firms when it comes to the systems that they use.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your staff in the loop of things.

Work/Life balance is awesome. Good people to work with.

Paralegal (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsWork/Life balance, good people, value advancement of associates with initiative, good culture

ConsManagement, compensation, poor decision making

This is a good company with a lot ot offer

Intern (Current Employee)
    Brigham City, UT

ProsJob Benefits
    Entrepreneur Atmosphere
    Strong Compensation Package
    Training Program

ConsThere isn't a whole lot that is negative as long as you work hard and get your business started right

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to help new FAs

Received some of the best training in the industry with Edward Jones.

Portland, OR

ProsEdward Jones is consistently rated by Forbes as one of the top 100 companies to work for. They are a professional organization and ensure all of their employees are ethical and honest in their business. They are community focused and encourage their employees to engage with the people in the city in which their office is located.

ConsAs a financial advisor at Edward Jones, you will be asked to do a lot of sales type activities and put in very long hours. The ability to earn a high salary is a far stretch and can take a financial advisor many, many years to achieve. And, their health insurance coverage is a high deductible coverage so be prepared to spend a lot of your own money out of pocket.

Don't Fire Them, Fire Them Up

Orlando, FL

ProsStructure is a plus. Known training Company.

ConsConstant threats to fire Advisors. I heard more than 5-10 times a day... if you do ........ you will be fired...

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hold your winners back with constant threats of termination. I left EJ on my own. Was never even reprimanded. Going to work and hearing multiple times a day...... if you do this... you will be fired... simply got old. Horrible work environment.

Don't put FA's in with a training FA who is obviously directly competing with the Trainee.

Poor management, unhealthy work life balance

Programmer Analyst (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsWork ethics is very high here, all employees show extreme dedication to their job duties.

ConsIT management does not have very good knowledge of open systems, most team leaders are former mainframe developers. They ask questions like 'what is xml?' in team meetings. This seriously affects communication with leaders. In one on one meetings there are not constructive comments, leaders will try to tell you how you should treat your family, they will tell you how you look like etc.
    Most teams are support teams, your main responsibility will be most likely supporting vendor software and mainframe systems. Learning or working on new technologies is almost impossible in most teams. There is very poor work life balance. You have to perform your 24/7 on call duties on top of your full time work.

Worked for Edward Jones? Contribute to the Community!

Edward Jones Videos

Edward Jones – Why Work for Us?

A More Personal Approach to Success You know the financial services industry, but you may not know Edward Jones. We are a unique industry leader known for our more personal approach to business. From locating… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Edward Jones reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Edward Jones CEO Jim Weddle. All 840 reviews posted anonymously by Edward Jones employees.