Edward Jones Reviews

Updated October 1, 2014
3.7

Edward Jones Managing Partner Jim Weddle
Jim Weddle

Pros
  • If you choose the team carefully you can have a good work/life balance (in 41 reviews)

• Great training especially if you have limited to no financial knowledge (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • Out of date prospecting, door to door simply doesn't work in some areas (in 52 reviews)

• Door knocking was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

FORCES Program

I worked at Edward Jones full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you show them you want it and there are others that can see it then you are supported. I failed the series 7 the first time and was allowed to take it again. That is a rare occasion and is not advertised. Over 50% of those that tested failed and were not allowed to move on.

Plus I had almost no out of pocket expenses. The licenses, training program, prospecting kit, postage stamps, marketing material, use of an office, a laptop, and even a secretary were all provided to me.

The FORCES Program. Little people qualify and just as many know how it works. Simply it is an extended training program with more support. Traditional trainees get about 2.5 months I got 6 months. Other things I got that the traditional trainees don't get:

1. Study at an Edward Jones office. An existing office with an FA, BOA, and working space.
    2. (No longer offered) the GI Bill while I am studying up til can sell. I received a supplement ($1000/mo) to my training pay of $15/hr.
    3. Branch training period of 7-10 weeks depending if you need to retake the Series 66. Time you can do modules, observe appointments with an FA, sit with the BOA, study for the insurance exam, and misc task.
    4. Extended prospecting time. Traditional trainees get about 7 weeks, I got 8. Doesn't look like much but the traditional track has to fit in the modules, insurance exam, and appointment observations along with getting prospects. I did that during branch training so all I had to do was prospect.
    5. Guaranteed Salary. The FORCES trainees upon can sell get an income guarantee of $6000 for 6 months. We have commission goals to keep in pace with but regardless get the income. We only get bonuses for new assets.

Cons

Its their way or the highway. You have to do it their way, face to face as they call it. If you're not with them, you're against them.

Do not let the glamor blind you from the truth. Its a sales job and its about the numbers. When you show signs of the pipeline drying and no new assets then you are let go. From a business stand point it makes sense. If you can accept the truth early you will make it.

The truth is you are going door to door, rain or shine. The best time to go "door knocking" are the times you would be home with your family, weekends, evenings, holidays, and prime vacation periods because the prospect is home.

I didn't make it with them long. I was told when you are starving you should take anything. In my mind even when I'm starving I'm not going to change what I value.

Booyah!

I have been working at Edward Jones

Pros

-I got the job.
    -I'm going to be rich.
    - Seriously though, I'm stoked.

Cons

-It took me 2 months, all my remaining vacation time at work, and a decent amount of stress. But big picture-wise, who cares?

-None. Obviously you have great taste.

On-call Branch assistant

Former Employee - On-Call Branch Office Administrator  in  Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - On-Call Branch Office Administrator in Lansing, MI

I worked at Edward Jones part-time for less than a year

Pros

Working in a small office is very low stress. Clients are great and Edward Jones is more than willing to help you learn their ways.

Cons

Irregular hours as an on-call. Days can tend to be boring and mundane. FA is the way to go at EJ if you are interested in finance.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No 2nd Chances. No matter the reason

Former Employee - BOA Branch Office Administrator  in  Edgewater, NJ
    Former Employee - BOA Branch Office Administrator in Edgewater, NJ

I worked at Edward Jones full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good working enviroment. Great contacts for help when you need it. Good trining.

Cons

Salary a little behind times, but I am sire by now it has gotten better

I was employed with Edward Jones as a financial advisor for just under a year.

Former Employee - Financial Advisor
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor

I worked at Edward Jones full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work/life balance, ability to "be your own boss" and set your own time, family culture, very good training program, benefits re top-notch, truly unlimited commission potential (upwards of $1.5M and above)

Cons

"Cold" prospecting, diluting "limited" partnership, very difficult to move up if you desire, requires distinct entrepreneurship skills, can be very stressful for family in first years

Great company, Great Culture

Former Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Canton, OH

I worked at Edward Jones full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great training program, lots of support, salary is not based on production initially so you won't stave! Everyone is helpful and wants you to succeed.

Cons

If you don't like or can't bear going door-to-door Edward Jones is not for you. If you aren't willing to put in a lot of time initially you won't make it.

Jones system works, I wouldn't suggest any changes. Seriously the best place I ever worked!

Great experience, good people

Former Employee - On-Call Branch Office Administrator  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - On-Call Branch Office Administrator in Nashville, TN

I worked at Edward Jones part-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked as an on-call BOA for around 2 years. For a part time job it was flexible because I worked when a branch needed me. The fact that they have a consistent computer system at each branch helped a lot and allowed me to work in various branches without a huge learning curve.

Cons

Every financial advisor is different so you have to learn the working style of each advisor.

Flexible hours and a lot of support but old fashioned in thinking

Former Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Lilburn, GA
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Lilburn, GA

I worked at Edward Jones full-time for more than a year

Pros

great support system in place, provided all of the tools needed. Really great opportunity if you're fortunate enough to walk into an existing book of business. amazing perks for hitting goals. offer amazing diversification trips to just about any where in the world. Very non competitave culture. everyone tries to hep each other succeed.

Cons

wanted you to go prospecting door to door which takes a very long time and can be dangerous in certain areas and for certain people. can be extremely difficult to get off of the ground if starting out brand new.

Good Company. Good Opportunity for growth.

I worked at Edward Jones

Pros

Good opportunity for growth.

Cons

Pay is not up to par with other firms.

Listen to the SFA results.

A great place to earn a great living for people willing to work long hours and are emotionally resilliant

I have been working at Edward Jones

Pros

You work how and when you want, you are your own boss. There is nothing stopping you from earning as much as you want. Very good company culture.

Cons

Very long and stressful hours. Little personal time early on. Pay is not proportional to the amount of work in the early years.

Worked for Edward Jones? Contribute to the Community!