Edward Jones

Edward Jones Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Edward Jones Managing Partner Jim Weddle

Jim Weddle

Pros
  • If you choose the team carefully you can have a good work/life balance(in 36 reviews)

• Great training one of the best programs in the industry for training financial advisors(in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • Out of date prospecting, door to door simply doesn't work in some areas(in 49 reviews)

• Door knocking was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life(in 63 reviews)

Far exceeded my expectations

Financial Advisor Intern (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsPrivately owned, so the business environment is so much different catering to both the employees and the clients
    FACD training program is world-class, there is nothing like it for recent college grads
    Lots of opportunities as average advisor age is about 50, and they are on track to hiring more than 1000 advisors a yr
    Compensation is what you make of it, your work will directly reflect in your pay. 100k to 300k a yr is normal in this company
    Very personal, stress face to face meetings with clients which they value so much. You will make many friends of them
    Diversification trips are one of many ways you are compensated as an FA, and the trips look absolutley amazing

ConsSort of old-fashioned in business plan but it works for them and creates more valued relationships
    Very hot when trying to door knock in the summer in Florida.

The best training in the industry from a company that cares about your career.

Financial Advisor (Former Employee) Little Rock, AR

ProsGreat training. High pass rate for Series 7 and 66 exams. You will always know what is expected of you and what you need to do to accomplish your goals as well as theirs. The job is tough, but Edward Jones will make sure you aren't alone.

ConsThe Edward Jones culture can be overwhelming at times. Also, you will be limited as to what you can provide for your clients, but most of what they truly need - you can provide.

Advice to Senior ManagementSo much consideration is given in the beginning of a career at Edward Jones, but once you are successful, the company will leave you alone. Sometimes this harsh transition can be difficult.

Great company

On-Call Branch Office Administrator (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsThe company seems to offer competitive benefit packages. Their training program for both Financial Advisors and also BOA's, is impressive and easy to follow.

ConsAs a BOA, it seems difficult to transfer to the corporate office for career progression.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to provide a career path for those BOA's interested in career progression.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, but business model not a good fit for me

Financial Advisor (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsIndependence, great training, regional leadership in my area was and is fantastic, as are all the people I met while working for the company. If you can "drink the green kool aid", you will love it. The people that succeed are incredibly passionate about what they do and the company, and it's inspiring. Got to meet several former managing partners while working for the company. If you like being on your own without a boss, you will like it. You have support, but you have to seek it out and pick up a phone in order to get it. You really do get to build your business as you want to, as long as you are profitable and ethical, which is really empowering.

ConsThe business model just wasn't a great fit for me- you are very isolated, working from home for a good portion of your training. You have trainers and mentors but, as they are also FAs, their priority is building their own business and you sometimes feel like you are imposing. I am more team-oriented and did not like the idea of sharing my office with just a BOA, which I might not have had any input on hiring. As with most financial firms, getting as many contacts as possible is the priority, and left very little time for any sort of life outside of work (I wanted to go back to school for my MBA, and was told there simply wouldn't be time). If you are a woman, be prepared to be severely outnumbered- my region had the best m-f ratio in the country, but I heard from other women that it was a boys' club and that there was some perceived biases that you couldn't do the job and be a good mother and wife (I heard that from a woman in the South). Even though you go door-knocking during the interview process, I was shocked at how difficult it was day in and day out. Pay for FA trainees is on par with industry, but a lot less than I made at my previous job as a retail manager for a large cell phone company. Be prepared for 60-70 hour work weeks and sleepless nights stressing over numbers. From what I was told, it doesn't get better until year 4. It's helpful to have a spouse that doesn't work, but my husband has his own career and it was too much for us at this time.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly, it was a great experience and I am really grateful for the opportunity; it just wasn't a good fit for me and my family at this point in our lives. Having great regional leadership makes a huge difference, and I have nothing but respect for those that can stick it out.

Can't imagine living a better life than I am with jones

Financial Advisor (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros-Independence to work as you please and do what is successful for your particular strengths
    -Income potential. I started straight out of college, taking over a very small book (less than 5 million), and didn't sell to any friends or family, yet still have made more than 100% of my friends every single year just by following Jones' recipe
    -Work life balance. I come in as I please and leave as I please
    -Pride in running your own office
    -satisfaction in truly making a difference in your clients lives (being that you truly do what's right for your clients)
    -traveling. Not only are the diversification trips unbelievable, but the summer regionals are very nice and the due diligence trips are great.

Cons-Nepotism. Friends or family of regional leader or GPS always get the best situation.
    -Those that take over good situations always have the best advantage for leadership roles and partnership. I feel like they need to take what you take over onto consideration when giving out leadership roles

My experience as a Financial Advisor Intern

Financial Advisor Intern (Current Employee)

Pros-Make your own hours
    -Get to leave your office to meet with clients
    -Personable business
    -No limit to your income
    -Never get bored because you are always trying to grow your business, and there are always ways to get involved more in the company.
    -Great business to have in the long run because all you work you have put in is paying off. You are able to work a 20 hour week if you desire.
    -The ability to make partner.

ConsAs an intern it was confusing to me in the aspect that I didn't know if I worked under the BOA. She has more experience and knowledge than me, and I can learn from her but at the same time I'm a Financial Advisor Intern and I get paid more than the BOA. (Which the BOA was aware of and not happy about)
    This also caused an awkard situation because she would see that I get taken out to lunch with the other FA's and have more privledges and it did not sit well with her because I was just an intern coming straight from college and only working here 2 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am truely grateful for this amazing experience. It is one of the best out there. From the compensation to the personal growth, it is an all around great program. The request I would make is that the BOA's not be aware of the compensation that FA Interns receive. In my situation I get paid more than my BOA. So you can imagine this created a bit of an awkward situation. I believe the compensation is well justified because I am living away from home and paying high month-to-month rent to live 2 months in my apartment.
    I also wish I could have recieved some type of reimbursement for the tolls I paid to visit other financial advisors. Other than that I believe EJ is a great company, and I would be honored to work here.

Provided hands-on experience to college student throughout summer!

Financial Advisor Intern (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsHands-on experience
    Future Full-Time Opportunities
    Stayed busy
    Paid internship
    Able to work directly with clients
    Networking Opportunities

ConsExperience could depend on the the Host Financial Advisor
    Many phone calls to be made
    Can be challenging if you aren't confident in speaking with strangers

Great company, great benefits and good pay

Financial Advisor (Former Employee) La Crosse, WI

ProsThey really do care about you as a person. The culture is very family orientated and others will help to make sure you succeed. You are able to make your own schedule and work as much or as little as you want as long as your are profitable. You get paid fairly for helping others.

ConsLower payout structure than some other firms but they make up for it in what they provide you.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter explain to advisors what they are getting for the commission you keep. The fact that they pay for your rent, assistant, utilities, marketing materials, etc greatly out ways a higher payout. Just wish I new that before I left the company and went independent.

Best Job I have ever had

On-Call Branch Office Administrator (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsOnly have to work with one person in office. Work life balance is right on. The benefits are amazing.

ConsThe pay is very low for a BOA position. Should be higher because of the amount of work you do compared to the amount of work the FA does.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake salaries more desireable.

Branch Office Admin

BOA Branch Office Administrator (Former Employee) Charleston, SC

ProsVery supportive of office staff. Great work / life balance. Edward Jones loves its family oriented culture.

ConsFA's are given priority over BOAs. Some BOA are actually treated quite badly by their FAs and corporate does very little about this.

Worked for Edward Jones? Contribute to the Community!