Edward Jones Reviews

Updated September 22, 2014
3.7

Edward Jones Managing Partner Jim Weddle
Jim Weddle

Pros
  • If you choose the team carefully you can have a good work/life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Great training one of the best programs in the industry for training financial advisors (in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • Out of date prospecting, door to door simply doesn't work in some areas (in 49 reviews)

• Door knocking was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life (in 63 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company. Good Opportunity for growth.

I worked at Edward Jones

Pros

Good opportunity for growth.

Cons

Pay is not up to par with other firms.

Listen to the SFA results.

A great place to earn a great living for people willing to work long hours and are emotionally resilliant

I have been working at Edward Jones

Pros

You work how and when you want, you are your own boss. There is nothing stopping you from earning as much as you want. Very good company culture.

Cons

Very long and stressful hours. Little personal time early on. Pay is not proportional to the amount of work in the early years.

FORCES Program

I worked at Edward Jones full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you show them you want it and there are others that can see it then you are supported. I failed the series 7 the first time and was allowed to take it again. That is a rare occasion and is not advertised. Over 50% of those that tested failed and were not allowed to move on.

Plus I had almost no out of pocket expenses. The licenses, training program, prospecting kit, postage stamps, marketing material, use of an office, a laptop, and even a secretary were all provided to me.

The FORCES Program. Little people qualify and just as many know how it works. Simply it is an extended training program with more support. Traditional trainees get about 2.5 months I got 6 months. Other things I got that the traditional trainees don't get:

1. Study at an Edward Jones office. An existing office with an FA, BOA, and working space.
    2. (No longer offered) the GI Bill while I am studying up til can sell. I received a supplement ($1000/mo) to my training pay of $15/hr.
    3. Branch training period of 7-10 weeks depending if you need to retake the Series 66. Time you can do modules, observe appointments with an FA, sit with the BOA, study for the insurance exam, and misc task.
    4. Extended prospecting time. Traditional trainees get about 7 weeks, I got 8. Doesn't look like much but the traditional track has to fit in the modules, insurance exam, and appointment observations along with getting prospects. I did that during branch training so all I had to do was prospect.
    5. Guaranteed Salary. The FORCES trainees upon can sell get an income guarantee of $6000 for 6 months. We have commission goals to keep in pace with but regardless get the income. We only get bonuses for new assets.

Cons

Its their way or the highway. You have to do it their way, face to face as they call it. If you're not with them, you're against them.

Do not let the glamor blind you from the truth. Its a sales job and its about the numbers. When you show signs of the pipeline drying and no new assets then you are let go. From a business stand point it makes sense. If you can accept the truth early you will make it.

The truth is you are going door to door, rain or shine. The best time to go "door knocking" are the times you would be home with your family, weekends, evenings, holidays, and prime vacation periods because the prospect is home.

I didn't make it with them long. I was told when you are starving you should take anything. In my mind even when I'm starving I'm not going to change what I value.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

High performing organization with a great culture!

Current Employee - Finance  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Finance in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people are incredible and make for a great environment; Great benefits and strong culture; It's easy to make an impact on the organization for someone that's motivated, seeks responsibility, and is focused on doing what's best for the firm.

Cons

Operates very lean (in terms of people resources), which leads to nearly always feeling like there's too much work to get done (the trade off is people aren't viewed as a line item to be cut when revenue declines); Overly focused on continuous improvement and new "projects" to evolve the business without recognizing the need to hire resources to achieve these objectives ; Advancement is elusive and difficult to achieve.

Awesome company!

Former Employee - MBA
    Former Employee - MBA

I worked at Edward Jones as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The people are absoultely wonderful to work with! I truly enjoyed my time working there

Cons

It's difficult for an external candidate to start anywhere other than the bottom... Very long interview process

Good company, Service Division not ideal

Current Employee - Investment Specialist  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Investment Specialist in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time for more than a year

Pros

Culture, development, team dynamic, environment, principles

Cons

The company is growing at a great rate, but looking to bend the curve of Home Office to branch teams has lead to the service division being under a lot of pressure to meet numbers. it is taking away the individual and the ability to grow and instead putting focus on streamlining and being within certain thresholds.

Service Division gets a lot of flack because we are so tied branch needs...don't make us feel like we are inferior and our development doesn't matter or can be "put on hold"

Good Place to Work.... Culture okay

I have been working at Edward Jones

Pros

Company is very flexible as far as work schedule.

Cons

Company does not hold people accountable for not keeping up expectations.

FA--not really.

Former Employee - Financial Advisor Trainee (FACD)  in  Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor Trainee (FACD) in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Edward Jones full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you like being on your own, this will be the place for you. Good home office support if they understand their role. Might have to call 2-3 times to get correct answer because of new employees. You are on your own, but you have home office looking over your shoulder.

Cons

As long as you stay under the radar of home office, but the minute you don't, watch out. Support is good at home office generally; however, not all support is good. If you are lucky enough to have a assistant, then they have to support you---but they can really mess you up. They are angry when you can come and go as needed unlike a assistant. They can be a wonderful thing, but they can be more of a problem. Other advisors have great assistants, but since the pay is so low, a assistant can go to another job making about $10K more than EJ. Can't move for advancement with advisors. Where you are is where you will be. Benefits are awful!!!!!!!!! 401K is great, life insurance too, but health care is absolutely terrible. Too high of a deductible along with premium. Have to pay for everything in office down to the toilet tissue.

Learn ways to advance the FA's with higher payouts like independents.

If you want it bad enough.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Freedom to work your own hours. Pay is great once get past first 5 years. Pay is awesome right away if inherit 20 million AUM within a year of licensing. Work/life balance once office built makes the agony and pain of the first 5 years worth it. Company leaves you alone as long as you meet the numbers. Our computer system upgrades are awesome!

Cons

Awards are to often based on amount an FA inherits in first year licensed and not on anything else. Veteran FA's know this but it's taboo to discuss it. To add insult, often it's who you know that determines if you get a sweet size office. It has nothing to do with what you bring to the table. Accept that it is a meat grinder if you are not close with a regional leader or General partner. If you believe the kool-aid, the regional decision making will not make since and you will go nuts trying to figure it out and quit. If you are capable of accepting life is not fair for 5 years and just keep building the business, you will earn your seat at the table.

Exceeding,meeting and below measures are not identifying who the real exceeders or low performers are. The new measures coming in October are a step in the right direction. Thank You.

Not bad for a brokerage, but still...you're not an entrepreneur

Former Employee - Investment Representative
    Former Employee - Investment Representative

I worked at Edward Jones full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company has more extensive training than others in brokerage industry, loves you if you are a competitive hetero white male with a wife and kids who can support you, does not force brokers to sell proprietary products, has a conservative investment philosophy that rarely hurts clients (but they don't know what they're missing).. Supportive in terms of offering help from other brokers in the region. Great company for brokers in small towns with no competition.

Cons

They say it's your own business, but it's not, you're an employee and are replaced immediately. All they want you to do is sell, they don't tell you about costs of your office, you don't negotiate your own lease; there are quotas and production requirements, and they often move the line up, no one is safe. The only way to be successful here is to go into a LARGE (not a small) office of someone who left -- and be careful that they didn't jump ship and will take clients. You want the office of a retiree. They have one way to do things -- doorknock, then repeatedly call prospects -- and if you don't want to do that, or it doesn't work in your large or mid-sized city, they don't know what else to do and you must not be doorknocking enough. Just started offering advisory accounts and investments are chosen by home office, there is little choice for broker. They will fire a broker who doesn't have the numbers, give his office to someone who is new, lose a lot of clients who liked the old broker, and it'll take 2+ years for the new guy to get to where the od guy was before they canned him, plus clients are lost and damage done to brand. That's the biz, though. They're not the only ones who do it.

Huh? They're not listening. They've got a formula, and they're working it.

Worked for Edward Jones? Contribute to the Community!