Edward Jones

Updated November 25, 2014
3.7

Edward Jones Managing Partner Jim Weddle
Jim Weddle

Pros
  • If you choose the team carefully you can have a good work/life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Great training especially if you have limited to no financial knowledge (in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • It can be tough to see enough decision makers by going door to door during the daytime (in 57 reviews)

• Door knocking was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life (in 68 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lived up to everything that they said they were. I have yet to see that they say one thing and do another.
    A few things
    1) They said that it was going to be hard,
    2) They never lied to me
    3) My first year I made significantly more than the average. The average financial advisor pay means that half make more and half make less.

Cons

It was a difficult first few years, after that it was much better and they were there to help me during those years but it was still difficult. However, it is that way whenever you start a practice regardless.

Branch Office Administrator

Former Employee - Senior Branch Office Administrator in Elmhurst, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Branch Office Administrator in Elmhurst, IL

I worked at Edward Jones (more than 10 years)

Pros

Edward Jones is a great company to work for especially if you have a good office partner, Each office has one investment advisor and a branch office administrator. They have an excellent training system especially if you're new to the industr. It is a service oriented position which allows you to get to know your clients and to help them with their financial services. Getting to know the clients and help them made the position meaningful. the benefit package is a good one

Cons

There is really no room for advancement, since there are only two positions; the investment advisor and the support staff position.

Acknowledging the support staff with more money or better perks would probably keep more people. investment advisors are compensated at a much higher level as the profit center.

Do the Work, Get rewarded

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Autonomy. This is the most underrated perk of any profession, especially ours. The rest is what you make of it, and some of us have made it quite worth while.

Cons

Hard Work. This is the most underestimated condition of our profession. We say it enough, but we don't believe it enough. Noone makes it in this business without sweat.

Technology could use a boost.

Short but meaningful. Reputable company that treats it's employees and clients well.

Former Employee - Financial Advisor Trainee (FACD) in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor Trainee (FACD) in Washington, DC

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paid training. Notable reputation. No controversy during financial crisis. Flexible hours. Entrepreneurial opportunity,

Cons

Aggressive sales goals. Door to door sales.

Best Company to work for

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Culture
    Great Pay
    Great partners
    Great flexibiliy of your schedule

Cons

Tough Work in the beginning. Your paid based on how hard you work

na

Financial Advisor

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Autonomy, no cap on potential income, great culture

Cons

Training has not adapted to changes in the market (still trained almost solely to build business through door to door solicitation)

Realize that different demographics exist and training should be modified to create better support on a region to region basis

Not the place to start

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-It's great to have name brand recognition and the free marketing that comes with working for a known commodity like Edward Jones.
    -Great training program
    -Also, if you are looking to avoid micro management, this is the place for you.

Cons

It can be tough to see enough decision makers by going door to door during the daytime. This is a pretty big obstacle if this is your first time building a book. Also, the majority of new advisors do not have an office, which can create a perceived credibility issue in the eyes of prospects.

Terrific company, extremely hard for a beginner, company experience varies by region! Recommend with caution!

Former Employee - Financial Advisor
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Training is outstanding. Support System and Mentor opportunities are the best!

Cons

Company experience and strategies vary by Region. RL(Region Leaders) set the tone for your experience. Do not recommend attempting to be a new Financial Advisor and building your own book of business unless you have personal funds set aside- Their will be struggles. Contact a current Financial Advisor for a detailed break down of experiences PRIOR to applying.

The company culture and community is present in the home office. The regions need to reflect the home offices community, strategies, and culture.

don't make a mistake or you will get terminated fast

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Surprise, AZ
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Surprise, AZ

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people in company, there is great potential to advance but you will work your tail off for it. 70 hour weeks..
    Other FAs will try to help you as much as possible however your still on your own.. technology and research is pretty good , but stock screen monitor is horrible..Base salary for training first 4 months is good. good other 6-8 months if your bringing in a lot of business....bonuses our good...commission scale is not.

Cons

They want you to be their robots.. very basic investment ideas..You will not have much time to get up and running so start fast. Knock on doors and get your friends family to do whatever kind of business, EJ will say. .Do not make a mistake at all or you will get terminated instantly with no chance to explain.. Remember they go througha lot of new FA trainees fast..

get to know your people on a real life basis and maybe your retention rate of possible great new FAs will be better..

Ok company for salary office employees

Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work / personal life balance
    Great people

Cons

Antiquated systems and policies that stifle productivity
    Lack of clear communication between senior management and employees
    Lack communication between departments