Edward Jones

Updated December 16, 2014
3.8

Edward Jones Managing Partner Jim Weddle
Jim Weddle

Pros
  • If you choose the team carefully you can have a good work/life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Great training especially if you have limited to no financial knowledge (in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • It can be tough to see enough decision makers by going door to door during the daytime (in 57 reviews)

• Door knocking was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life (in 68 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful place to be a Financial Advisor...if you can do the job.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

One of the best "corporate" cultures in America. The highest rated in advisor satisfaction among major brokerage firms for 20 straight years.

A partnership owned by the employees with ample opportunities to earn partnership regardless of your position with the firm.

Exponential earnings potential limited only by your ability to create and maintain clientele.

A "one FA per office" concept that essentially makes you pseudo-independent and eventually your own boss (as long as you're meeting/exceeding expectations and/or profitable).

A dedicated business office administrator (BOA) who handles the operations of your branch.

Some of the best training in the industry. Many firms attempt to hire new FAs away from EDJ after their first few years.

Cons

Hard Job. Convincing people you're the right person to manage and invest their money is not easy. Even if you're good, creating new clients is still a daunting task. This is a job best suited for extreme "people-persons" or type-A work-a-holics. 8 out of 10 hired don't make it.

It can take a while to really make money. Those fortunate enough to receive some form of "asset-sharing" can start quicker. However, it all comes down to effort.

Stressful job depending on your personality. You are responsible for other people's money, which isn't a task to be taken lightly. Down markets aren't fun. You always have to continue growing the business.

Keep doing what you're doing, but don't forget the core values that make us different. We trust you.

What an awesome culture

Current Employee - Research
    Current Employee - Research

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time

Pros

-For the amount of hours we work compared to your average Wall Street analyst in NY, our compensation is pretty good - though it would be right to increase given our increased responsibilities
    -Awesome awesome team culture. If there are office politics, I sure as heck don't know about them.. feels like a family to me.
    -Really truly, above any other place, feel like you are working to improve the lives of clients. The success of our clients ALWAYS comes first in any decision made.
    -It's a privately-held partnership... hard to explain until you see for yourself. Partnership offerings held every 3 years for employees.

Cons

- Only 2 weeks vacation if working for less than 3 years. 3 weeks vacation from 3 years of employment until you've been working for 10 years. That NEEDS to change. It sucks.
    - High deductible health insurance (not a fan)

Please, for the love of goodness improve the vacation days. PLEASE.

IS Programmer Analyst

I have been working at Edward Jones part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You can become a partner of the company which is wonderful and makes you really feel like part of the company.

Cons

With large companies comes more paperwork and red tape, but, that's typical as companies get larger.

Excellent culture with a focused vision.

I worked at Edward Jones (more than 8 years)

Pros

Edward Jones has one of the best working environments. It is collaborative and focused on a vision so that everything that is done is in line with the ultimate objective of serving the client.

They also did everything to make sure things were done right and for the right reason. Very values based.

I highly respect this firm. They truly care about their associates.

Cons

My work/life balance was not in balance. The firm is making strides to improve opportunities for working at home and desk share, so that is great to see. They really care about their associates well-being.

It would be great if the divisions could have been aligned in what tools they offer their associates in terms of operational efficiency and work at home options. It seemed as though the different divisions had different opportunities and it felt like some of these should have been uniform across the firm.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Operations Specialist-Insurance Licensing in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Operations Specialist-Insurance Licensing in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Unlimited growth, great training and people

Cons

Pay is okay, not great

N/A

Great company

I have been working at Edward Jones

Pros

People, culture, dedication to results, work-life balance, clear vision and goals

Cons

HQ Compensation
    Lack of opportunity outside St. Louis

Not sure what to say

I have been working at Edward Jones

Pros

Commute is too far for me

Cons

Cool place to work for sure

Great place to work. Treat people very good.

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay you while you are studying for series 66 and series 7

Cons

Difficult to understand when pay goes down and commissions go up. Not very clear on that.

Be more clear on pay and commissions and when and how they work.

Great experience!

Former Employee - BOA On-Call and Summer FA in Webster City, IA
    Former Employee - BOA On-Call and Summer FA in Webster City, IA

I worked at Edward Jones as an intern

Pros

Edward Jones is a phenomenal company. Not only do they treat their employees great, they are a truly client-focused company. I have worked for them temporarily on 2 different occasions. The culture and values within the company are unique in that they truly value their relationships with clients. It was a joy working with Edward Jones employees. Although I do not work for them now, I learned a lot about high quality customer service while working with their people. Highly recommend looking into opportunities with this great company!

Cons

The only con I can think of is the fact that an Edward Jones FA office is designed for "smaller" cities. Because they are so concerned with individual client needs, I have learned that the branches truly flourish in smaller areas. For some people (like me) this would not be considered a con. But for those who want to live in big cities it may be.

Keep up the amazing customer and employee treatment. EDJ is a great company to work for and a great company to do business with as a customer.

Do the Work, Get rewarded

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Autonomy. This is the most underrated perk of any profession, especially ours. The rest is what you make of it, and some of us have made it quite worth while.

Cons

Hard Work. This is the most underestimated condition of our profession. We say it enough, but we don't believe it enough. Noone makes it in this business without sweat.

Technology could use a boost.