Edward Jones Reviews

991 reviews filtered by
3.7
Edward Jones Managing Partner Jim Weddle
Jim Weddle

Pros
  • If you choose the team carefully you can have a good work/life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Great training especially if you have limited to no financial knowledge (in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • It can be tough to see enough decision makers by going door to door during the daytime (in 57 reviews)

• Door knocking was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life (in 68 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Lots of support, great, fair, smart people and excellent business culture.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The only financial services company that truly cares about the client, my brother heard from a competing company. The people here are great. I lived in Japan for 8 years and EJones has the same high commitment to servicing our own staff and clients that the best in the world has. My support team is hands off for the most part. Fair and honest. A lot is up to you. You have to realize you can't do everything and must ask for advice on how to get better. The help is top notch, so caring and personable.

Cons

You must learn to manage yourself. It's a double-edged sword: You have much freedom but also you have to work hard. Most people have to be told when they can take a break, lunch, time-off, etc. Not so much here. You have to generate activity on your own. You must be independent and be able to work as a team as well. I've been out in the field as a new Financial Advisor now for 4 months and licensed for 2 and a half months or so. First month was a little uncomfortable, but nothing you can't do. Second month started rocky but I got lucky from working hard and had a super month. So exciting. Now, I'm focused on balancing my work and continuing to learn more and improve every day.

The best feeling was calling compliance for advice this morning and helping my client make the right decisions. There are so many stories of people helping others, new, old, head office, local office, BOA, doesn't matter. Everyone is a component of something always getting better. Once or twice I have a hard day, but I always hold my head high... I'm having fun.

2. Best Place Around to Work For-Hands Down

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Basking Ridge, NJ

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They really do care, it's part of the "culture". Great mentoring and training. They let you do what is right for the client!

Cons

It's a hard job, but they do try to make it rewarding. The pay in the beginning is low, but the reward in the end is worth it. I hear the health benefits are not great but I have it thru my spouse so don't have direct knowledge of this.

3. Branch Office Administrator

Former Employee - BOA Branch Office Administrator in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - BOA Branch Office Administrator in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

2 person office, developed long standing relationships with clients.

Cons

Slow pace, long periods of being alone in the office, was not as busy as I would have liked.

5. Edward Jones is thorough and challenging!

Current Employee - Financial Advisor
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor

I have been working at Edward Jones

Pros

Amazing training program, excellent support from years of experience, and time honored customer perspective!

Cons

Benefits such as medical, dental, and health are outrageously expensive! Yet, market comparative.

During series training, consider more emphasis on learning (1st per day) and less on schedule stress.

I have been an Edward Jones advisor for 7 years

I have been working at Edward Jones

Pros

The culture is wonderful. The support is fantastic. I have a dedicated assistant. I work 5 minutes from home. The tools are great and constantly updated. The compensation package can't be beat.

Cons

The only con is really maintaining a positive attitude in the early years. The truth is if you consistently do what is right for your clients you will have a wonderful lifestyle after a few years. There are no shortcuts. It is important to remember that you are in a marathon, not a sprint. Just keep consistently doing the right thing. You have to be a self starter. There is no one in your office to tell you who to call, what to say, what time to show up. You are in the business of building trusted relationships with people who value your advice. Always remember it's their sacred nest egg, no matter the size, and the referrals will come.

7. Great people but old model of prospecting. The door to door knocking isn't one that works in large metropolitan cities.

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Compensation potential good, great company benefits and perks. Other colleagues very encouraging and helpful with process.

Cons

The prospecting process of walking door to door in a big city doesn't apply well.

Come up with tools that are more modern with the times.

8. Not That Great

Former Intern - Client Segments in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Intern - Client Segments in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Edward Jones as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

good pay and being private has its pros

Cons

very conservative and old school. women and minorities will have a hard time being taken seriously

research millennials and accommodate them

9. Great place to start but limited development opportunities.

Former Employee - Instructional Designer
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are some great people working for this company. If you pick a good team, you will have a positive working environment with a lot of autonomy. You will have plenty of work to do as they are working to in Six Sigma and Lean processes. They offer bonus and frequent everyday perks like onsite cafe (for some buildings), covered parking (for some buildings), and regular drawings for events/tickets in the St. Louis area. Strong values and culture.

Cons

The company values financial professionals above all else. If you are a professional in your individual discipline you will face some challenges here because there is a focus on being a generalist. Specific disciplines lack promotions within roles and departments, unless you are willing to let go of your topic area and focus on leading people which requires the Series 7 registration. Typically salaries are lower than industry averages.

Business processes are slow to change. Need to improve speed to market (or internal audiences) because at the rate you are going you are missing big opportunities and talent.

10. (HOA - not FA feedback) It's not what you know, or how hard you work; it's who you know and how you play the game...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- work/life balance
    - job security
    - pleasant office surroundings
    - pleasant atmosphere and good people to work with
    - fun perks (can win tickets to box seats, etc)

Cons

- those that work hardest and do the best job are not those that succeed
    - too often, protecting individual partners is more important that doing what's best for the firm
    - outdated technology - rarely provided with the best tools to do your job
    - the business side is a very silo'ed environment
    - the FA side and the business side are run in completely opposite manners, and the business side suffers for it
    - since job performance and competition (on the business side) do not directly translate to promotion, bonus and success there is a lot of mediocrity in the firm; unfortunately job security means low performers get passed around or find a place to just tread water collecting a paycheck and dragging the company down

Edward Jones is a good company that sadly has the potential to be an amazing company, but won't realize that potential. The things that make the FA side so successful - competition and direct reward for performance - are exactly the things that are missing on the business side.

Career success highly dependent on favoritism and AUM given as a new employee

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Lots of flexibility with work autonomy
    -Don't need prior experience or licenses to become an FA

Cons

-If starting new, with no AUM or clients, you will most likely fail
    -Favoritism for certain FAs and you may end up getting the short end of the stick
    -Full of promises of great office near where you live and an assistant, reality is you may end up 40minutes away from your home with a useless assistant.
    -Performance standards are similar whether you were given a few million in assets or 0 and may be difficult to reach
    -You will be making close to minimum wage

-Be more fair to all new FA's