Edward Jones

Updated November 20, 2014
3.7

Edward Jones Managing Partner Jim Weddle
Jim Weddle

Pros
  • If you choose the team carefully you can have a good work/life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Great training especially if you have limited to no financial knowledge (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Out of date prospecting, door to door simply doesn't work in some areas (in 53 reviews)

• Door knocking was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life (in 67 reviews)

More Highlights

Best Company to work for

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Culture
    Great Pay
    Great partners
    Great flexibiliy of your schedule

Cons

Tough Work in the beginning. Your paid based on how hard you work

na

Great Company

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lived up to everything that they said they were. I have yet to see that they say one thing and do another.
    A few things
    1) They said that it was going to be hard,
    2) They never lied to me
    3) My first year I made significantly more than the average. The average financial advisor pay means that half make more and half make less.

Cons

It was a difficult first few years, after that it was much better and they were there to help me during those years but it was still difficult. However, it is that way whenever you start a practice regardless.

Very professional without being stuffy; active but not hectic.

Current Employee - Service Specialist II in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Service Specialist II in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love the environment at Edward Jones. Employees are able to use their energy to focus on their work and interacting in a positive way. Employees receive the training and resources needed to go a good job, and they are given opportunities to move around the company to gain a wide range of experience.

Cons

The pay may be a little lower than some places, but there are many perks that override it.

Keep up the great work!

Financial Advisor Career Development Associate

I have been working at Edward Jones

Pros

Freedom to work on your time, the key is to get your tasked completed.

Cons

There are no cons at the moment. if you need people to constantly guide you, then this isn't the position for you.

Great Place to Grow

Former Employee - Investment Banking Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Investment Banking Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (more than an year)

Pros

challenging work environment, great benefits, loved working with my peers. Leadership was quite strong, very organized.

Cons

Large company, sometimes it can be easy to get lost, or lose your footing. Long work hours, 6 days a week usually 80-90 hours per week.

Better work/life balance.

I absolutely love my job and what an awesome culture!!

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- The job is absolutely demanding and challenging, but work/life balance is still a priority
    - The Research department is a bunch of really down to earth and intelligent individuals. I feel like I'm just so happen to be showing up to the same building ("the office") to do work with friends.
    - This is the one place I've worked where when they say "put the client/customer first" they absolutely mean it. The number of discussions and debates we have that have simply been ended by thinking about what would be best for the client is remarkable. Jones truly does care about its clients.
    - Pay is pretty sweet, but appropriate for the magnitude of impact our work has on the business. If you adjust our salaries for work-life balance (number of hours we actually work), we'd be above the AVERAGE wall street analyst.

Comp (my findings/experience only):
    Associate Analyst (65-85k base salary, plus 10-15k bonus average) - totally depends on your level
    Analyst (90-100k base, plus 40% bonus potential)
    Senior Analyst (110-120k base, plus 60% bonus potential)

The importance of the work we do in research can actually be stressful, because we are impacting/influencing hundreds of billions of clients' investments. Many times, the returns that a client can experience from their holdings is as a result of our recommendations. We have a big job to do, but if you're passionate about this stuff like me.. it's so much fun, so the pay is just awesome.

Cons

- Sometimes it can feel little bit like it's a drinking the kool-aid type of culture, but really... that's really not all that uncommon elsewhere and isn't THAT big of a deal here. It's only because the culture is so deep rooted in the company's foundation and we still have employees who were around from the beginning and live and breath "Ted Jones".
    - The high deductible health-care just plain old sucks... I hate feeling BAD about going to doctor because I'll have to pay a lot for it.
    - Vacation time, though not terrible, just feels terrible. 2 weeks to start, 3 weeks after 3 years at the company, and you get 4 weeks only after 10 years of working at the company! You do get 5 weeks if you've been around for 20 years though, haha.

I think the SFA survey you all do to guage employees satisfaction regarding many topics is awesome and truly critical. Please continue relying heavily on them and use them as a catalyst for improvement/change.

Booyah!

I have been working at Edward Jones

Pros

-I got the job.
    -I'm going to be rich.
    - Seriously though, I'm stoked.

Cons

-It took me 2 months, all my remaining vacation time at work, and a decent amount of stress. But big picture-wise, who cares?

-None. Obviously you have great taste.

I was employed with Edward Jones as a financial advisor for just under a year.

Former Employee - Financial Advisor
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work/life balance, ability to "be your own boss" and set your own time, family culture, very good training program, benefits re top-notch, truly unlimited commission potential (upwards of $1.5M and above)

Cons

"Cold" prospecting, diluting "limited" partnership, very difficult to move up if you desire, requires distinct entrepreneurship skills, can be very stressful for family in first years

Great company, Great Culture

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Canton, OH

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great training program, lots of support, salary is not based on production initially so you won't stave! Everyone is helpful and wants you to succeed.

Cons

If you don't like or can't bear going door-to-door Edward Jones is not for you. If you aren't willing to put in a lot of time initially you won't make it.

Jones system works, I wouldn't suggest any changes. Seriously the best place I ever worked!

Great experience, good people

Former Employee - On-Call Branch Office Administrator in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - On-Call Branch Office Administrator in Nashville, TN

I worked at Edward Jones part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked as an on-call BOA for around 2 years. For a part time job it was flexible because I worked when a branch needed me. The fact that they have a consistent computer system at each branch helped a lot and allowed me to work in various branches without a huge learning curve.

Cons

Every financial advisor is different so you have to learn the working style of each advisor.