Edward Jones Reviews

Reset
3.7
Edward Jones Managing Partner Jim Weddle
Jim Weddle

Pros
  • If you choose the team carefully you can have a good work/life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Great training and home office support (in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't like or can't bear going door-to-door Edward Jones is not for you (in 57 reviews)

• The door knocking model is not for the faint of heart (in 68 reviews)

1,071 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Lots of support, great, fair, smart people and excellent business culture.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only financial services company that truly cares about the client, my brother heard from a competing company. The people here are great. I lived in Japan for 8 years and EJones has the same high commitment to servicing our own staff and clients that the best in the world has. My support team is hands off for the most part. Fair and honest. A lot is up to you. You have to realize you can't do everything and must ask for advice on how to get better. The help is top notch, so caring and personable.

Cons

You must learn to manage yourself. It's a double-edged sword: You have much freedom but also you have to work hard. Most people have to be told when they can take a break, lunch, time-off, etc. Not so much here. You have to generate activity on your own. You must be independent and be able to work as a team as well. I've been out in the field as a new Financial Advisor now for 4 months and licensed for 2 and a half months or so. First month was a little uncomfortable, but nothing you can't do. Second month started rocky but I got lucky from working hard and had a super month. So exciting. Now, I'm focused on balancing my work and continuing to learn more and improve every day.

Advice to Management

The best feeling was calling compliance for advice this morning and helping my client make the right decisions. There are so many stories of people helping others, new, old, head office, local office, BOA, doesn't matter. Everyone is a component of something always getting better. Once or twice I have a hard day, but I always hold my head high... I'm having fun.

2. Branch Office Administrator

Former Employee - Branch Office Administrator in Hurricane, UT
    Former Employee - Branch Office Administrator in Hurricane, UT

I worked at Edward Jones (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits. Client interaction. Paid vacation and holidays.

Cons

Two person offices. If communication is poor, or personalities don't get along, it makes the work environment dysfunctional, and eventually unbearable.

Advice to Management

If problems arise, listen to each person separately then get them together and try to resolve issues. In my case, they took the word of a 2 month financial advisor, and I, an 8 year employee was not allowed to defend myself or present my side of any accusations against me. So much for being "a team!" The "Best Company to Work For"? After eight years I was treated like dirt and thrown out, because of disputes and lies told by a 2 month conniving, mentally unstable female Financial Advisor. I was given no chance to speak.

Financial Advisor

Current Employee - Financial Advisor
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The training here was excellent, it will help you get your licenses and be prepared for when you start door knocking. In some areas of the country you will receive more training from your region too. You get to make your own hours, so if you have an obligation one day there is nothing keeping you in the office. If you ever have a questions you can always pick up the phone and expect to get an answer. Door knocking works great in certain cities. I pulled in a lot of assets and commissions from working like crazy.

Cons

The sad part is all you will be doing is pushing products that really aren't in the best interest of your client. Basically, A-Share mutual funds will be the products of choice. With the changes occurring in the industry it it would be very easy to find more suitable investments. The mutual funds that they give you the most information on are the ones Edward Jones has a revenue sharing agreement with. Hence, the company is not only making revenue from your commissions, but off the funds that pay to be on the list. Funny thing is you won't meet to many advisors that would ever pay that sales charge to get in these funds. I met plenty of advisors well working at Jones, and just like someone else said, I would never go with any of them.

A lot of advisors will tend to leave the firm after a certain point, because in reality Edward Jones owns your book of clients. When most advisors retire that book can be worth a lot of money. At Jones they give you a very low payout. Also, it's not unusual for some people to get fired for some crazy reason. I've seen it happen to others. They tell you it's your own business, but at the end of the day do you really want to spend five years of your life building something that really isn't yours. Whereas, almost anywhere else you go it's your book of clients.

Lastly, there's a reason why Edward Jones isn't in cities. The business model was always designed for small towns. At most places they encourage you to get credentials, at Jones they say you don't need them.

Advice to Management

There's a reason why companies laugh at Jones and the fact that almost every client will be persuaded into mutual funds.

5. Good

I have been working at Edward Jones

Pros

Great training and support team

Cons

Lots of prospecting to build book of business

6. Office Staff

I worked at Edward Jones part-time

Pros

They were amazing! They care about their employees.

Cons

Very small offices! Not a lot of traffic.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

7. Branch office administrator

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockport, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockport, IN

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great training from employer via online course

Cons

Your bonus and advancement hinge on how well and how much the financial advisor works

Advice to Management

Keep an eye out on the short length of day some financial advisors work

8. I love Edward Jones

Current Employee - On-Call Branch Office Administrator
    Current Employee - On-Call Branch Office Administrator

I have been working at Edward Jones

Pros

Great system for on-calls, as an aspriing FA - I feel like I learn a lot while working in EJ offices.

Cons

Not a set schedule or guaranteed hours whatsoever.

9. Financial advisor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time

Pros

Great training, great culture, opportunity to succeed.
    Home office support is top notch. Ability to win trips all over the world.

Cons

Extremely difficult to get business started, nearly impossible. Market can be saturated with other Edward Jones advisors.

Advice to Management

Offer more office in transitions so that one has at least a small book of business when starting out.

10. Great Company

Former Employee - Systems Administrator In SOC in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator In SOC in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company, they take care of their employees, at least this was the case for me working as a home office associate in information systems.

Great leadership and opportunities to grow within the organization.

Great for people who want a long term career with amazing benefits.

Cons

For anyone working in information systems, you will be isolated down into a very narrow role, and you will be working with older technologies. This may not be true everywhere within IS, but it was true for me. Oh and they tried to make me wear a tie!!! boo no tie!

Advice to Management

Management can be hit and miss, that being said I have seen some of the best management I have ever worked with.

11. Analyst

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time

Pros

Management is some time ok.

Cons

Not good. Needs a lot of work

Showing 1,071 of 1,089 reviews