Edward Jones

Updated November 24, 2014
3.7

Edward Jones Managing Partner Jim Weddle
Jim Weddle

Pros
  • If you choose the team carefully you can have a good work/life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Great training especially if you have limited to no financial knowledge (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Out of date prospecting, door to door simply doesn't work in some areas (in 53 reviews)

• Door knocking was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life (in 67 reviews)

More Highlights

Company

I worked at Edward Jones part-time

Pros

Good work, good money, good career

Cons

Long hours, customers, not enough training

Great training, poor contract in a right to work state. Clients come last.

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great training and licensing. Opportunities are available almost anywhere. They offer full benefits.

Cons

Three year contract. Easy to churn clients accounts to make quotas. Clients interest are not always first.

Fair

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Flower Mound, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Flower Mound, TX

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Management leaves you alone as long as you meet your monthly sales quotas

Cons

Monthly sales quotas put financial advisers in an ethical conundrum at times.

FORCES Program

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you show them you want it and there are others that can see it then you are supported. I failed the series 7 the first time and was allowed to take it again. That is a rare occasion and is not advertised. Over 50% of those that tested failed and were not allowed to move on.

Plus I had almost no out of pocket expenses. The licenses, training program, prospecting kit, postage stamps, marketing material, use of an office, a laptop, and even a secretary were all provided to me.

The FORCES Program. Little people qualify and just as many know how it works. Simply it is an extended training program with more support. Traditional trainees get about 2.5 months I got 6 months. Other things I got that the traditional trainees don't get:

1. Study at an Edward Jones office. An existing office with an FA, BOA, and working space.
    2. (No longer offered) the GI Bill while I am studying up til can sell. I received a supplement ($1000/mo) to my training pay of $15/hr.
    3. Branch training period of 7-10 weeks depending if you need to retake the Series 66. Time you can do modules, observe appointments with an FA, sit with the BOA, study for the insurance exam, and misc task.
    4. Extended prospecting time. Traditional trainees get about 7 weeks, I got 8. Doesn't look like much but the traditional track has to fit in the modules, insurance exam, and appointment observations along with getting prospects. I did that during branch training so all I had to do was prospect.
    5. Guaranteed Salary. The FORCES trainees upon can sell get an income guarantee of $6000 for 6 months. We have commission goals to keep in pace with but regardless get the income. We only get bonuses for new assets.

Cons

Its their way or the highway. You have to do it their way, face to face as they call it. If you're not with them, you're against them.

Do not let the glamor blind you from the truth. Its a sales job and its about the numbers. When you show signs of the pipeline drying and no new assets then you are let go. From a business stand point it makes sense. If you can accept the truth early you will make it.

The truth is you are going door to door, rain or shine. The best time to go "door knocking" are the times you would be home with your family, weekends, evenings, holidays, and prime vacation periods because the prospect is home.

I didn't make it with them long. I was told when you are starving you should take anything. In my mind even when I'm starving I'm not going to change what I value.

If you like to be always busy for not much pay, it's great

Current Employee - Network Support Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Network Support Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Job Security if you're a decent worker, especially during recessions - see below. One of the first companies in our area of the US to fully support benefits for same sex couples.

Cons

Pay should be better, benefits aren't bad but healthcare deductible of $3k a year is pretty high.

They need to hire more people. I'll say it again. They need to hire more people, because my particular team, if one person is out of the office, we're busy and behind in our work all that day. Two people and forget it, don't expect time to do any pending work or take a lunch. If you're lucky enough to be hourly, overtime is depending on the department. Zero is ideal, some allow zero overtime, others do allow a few hours. If you're lucky enough to be an hourly associate, you will be expected to work but your overtime will be paid, or, if your dept doesn't allow overtime, you'll be expected to leave as soon as your shift ends. But, most positions are salary. And, when asking leadership about hiring more people, the first answer is usually a chuckle and "but none of your people are working 50 hours a week, you can't be that busy" answer.

I'm starting to see a lot of older practices that I never thought would or could be changed starting to change. For instance, home office associates that aren't in areas open to clients now get business casual every Friday. That used to be summer only, but after year and years of asking, they finally relented. They are making allowances for more and more people to work from their homes.

Get with the times like you did with allowing benefits for LGBT partners of associates. You went out a limb doing that, you made many people angry, but you did the right thing and you were ahead of the curve on that. Keep doing more like that. Be a leader in trying to reign in income inequality by paying your people more money! Your people will thank you for it.

Flexible hours and a lot of support but old fashioned in thinking

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Lilburn, GA
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Lilburn, GA

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great support system in place, provided all of the tools needed. Really great opportunity if you're fortunate enough to walk into an existing book of business. amazing perks for hitting goals. offer amazing diversification trips to just about any where in the world. Very non competitave culture. everyone tries to hep each other succeed.

Cons

wanted you to go prospecting door to door which takes a very long time and can be dangerous in certain areas and for certain people. can be extremely difficult to get off of the ground if starting out brand new.

Great experience, good people

Former Employee - On-Call Branch Office Administrator in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - On-Call Branch Office Administrator in Nashville, TN

I worked at Edward Jones part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked as an on-call BOA for around 2 years. For a part time job it was flexible because I worked when a branch needed me. The fact that they have a consistent computer system at each branch helped a lot and allowed me to work in various branches without a huge learning curve.

Cons

Every financial advisor is different so you have to learn the working style of each advisor.

Good Company. Good Opportunity for growth.

I worked at Edward Jones

Pros

Good opportunity for growth.

Cons

Pay is not up to par with other firms.

Listen to the SFA results.

A great place to earn a great living for people willing to work long hours and are emotionally resilliant

I have been working at Edward Jones

Pros

You work how and when you want, you are your own boss. There is nothing stopping you from earning as much as you want. Very good company culture.

Cons

Very long and stressful hours. Little personal time early on. Pay is not proportional to the amount of work in the early years.

High performing organization with a great culture!

Current Employee - Finance in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Finance in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people are incredible and make for a great environment; Great benefits and strong culture; It's easy to make an impact on the organization for someone that's motivated, seeks responsibility, and is focused on doing what's best for the firm.

Cons

Operates very lean (in terms of people resources), which leads to nearly always feeling like there's too much work to get done (the trade off is people aren't viewed as a line item to be cut when revenue declines); Overly focused on continuous improvement and new "projects" to evolve the business without recognizing the need to hire resources to achieve these objectives ; Advancement is elusive and difficult to achieve.