Edwards Lifesciences

Be The First To
Add Photos

Edwards Lifesciences Chairman and CEO Michael A. Mussallem

Michael A. Mussallem

Pros
  • there are a lot of great people here, have made some friends for life(in 6 reviews)

• There are some amazingly talented people working for Edwards, which is why they lead in innovative products(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Critical Care Business unit is poorly managed and needs a new leader(in 7 reviews)

• No work life balance and no worker appreciation(in 4 reviews)

Unstable

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsWonderful sense of mission with employees, and management, genuinely trying to the do the right thing

ConsInternal politics are horrible, with employees caught in the middle. Constant restructurings are just re-arranging the deck chairs, making managers feel like they are doing something, but leading to uncertainty and instability for the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementActions speak louder than words with respect to loyalty towards your employees -- stop sacrificing long-terms gains for short-term cost-cutting.

Management needs to take a hard look at itself...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsCompany with huge potential if top management is willing to take a hard look at themselves and the impact they have on it's people, results, and long-term outlook. The cumbersome management processes are killing the productivity and innovation of the company

ConsVery political and arrogant in certain areas of the business. Company prides itself on innovation - but very limited to product not commercial in a time when they need to think innovate their go-to-market approach. Hard to see this turning around when top management is blind to the faults of "the in-crowd"...

Advice to Senior ManagementShake up the people at the top jobs. Reward results versus political "insiders". Beware of the arrogance in THV

Snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBoundless market opportunity
    Challenging and interesting product development
    Good pay

ConsTop heavy management structure - the better to surround the guilty and punish the innocent
    Culture of blame - no cross-functional collaboration; every man (woman) for himslef(herself)
    Poor management guidance - no mentoring whatsoever
    No work life balance and no worker appreciation

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have talented people, develop them. Stop the hire/fire merry-go-round. Or, if you must, try a little navel gazing and fire yourselves.
    Critical Care BU is so dysfunctional, you did a dry run employee opinion survey. Afterwards, the actual survey results still tanked. What's up with that?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting Products

ProsI have learned a lot in this job

ConsTo move up you have to be one of the few that have good friends

Sales rep

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsGreat company to work for

ConsYou have to work long hours.

Good but complex place to learn the heart valve business

ProsGood people, products, career opportunities

ConsWeak internal systems, more time is required to get anything done, politics

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany is top management heavy. Employee seem complacent and most everybody thinks that the "golden days" will continue...unfortunately, that is not the reality. Do serious efforts on innovation front, otherwise it will be hard to sustain the market leadership.

Short and sweet, wish I could have stayed longer

ProsPros are you get to meet and work with many intelligent people. A lot of creativity and high energy in the workplace.

ConsJust like any corporate environment there are politics. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

Advice to Senior ManagementAct like you care about your employees more.

A blatantly incompetent and poorly managed company.

Engineer II (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsThe good thing about Edwards is that it has very stable working conditions and job security. Edwards saves many lives, which is a very noble and commendable cause. The CEO seems like a very good guy- very caring and smart.

ConsI was shocked to see that so many senior and principal level engineers lack very basic technical engineering skills. Very simple computer programming, Cad, and basic scientific principles were a foreign subject to most of the engineers I worked with. I was hired on as an engineer, and I did not know what to do with the lack of scientific and managerial foundation that I had encountered. Many engineering projects could have been better performed by high school students.

In addition to the lack of technical knowledge, there were managers that lacked basic common sense. I'm baffled by how a company can run with this many ignorant employees. Management is bent on maintaining the status quo because they don't want to be found out for being quacks. The good news is that Edwards is very good about keeping employees. If you know nothing about the medical field or engineering and if you can get your foot in the door, it's likely that you can keep working there forever.

The Edwards slogan is "Life is Now" is true for the products. But within the company, the saying does not maintain. There is such a professional facade because the workplace is in reality a very sterile environment. Clean rooms yes, but also the employees seem very sterile. There's a clear lack of energy and spirit within the company that's masqueraded by a fake smile and expensive clothing. I have not met an employee at Edwards who say they like their job, let alone love their job. There is an unproductive mentality and a toxic vibe at Edwards.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the CEO - give both a performance based test and a written test to all engineers and managers. If most employees fail, then please consider rethinking the hiring and firing process.

Very enjoyable, a solid company that offers the potential to advance ones career.

Senior CAD Operator (Current Employee) Draper, UT

ProsStable, Benefits, Tuition Assistance, competitive pay, opportunity for growth, Pride, Low Stress Level, Not micro-managed.

ConsSlow to promote, Consistent use of outdated computer programs and technology, slow to implement new technologies and methods.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet advice on how to make things better from those who work in the "trenches" and who can actually see where improvements can be made. Don't just listen to managers, they don't know.

Edwards is a real roller coaster ride, some good times/some bad.

Individual Contributor (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

Prosthere are a lot of great people here, have made some friends for life. Nice campus, decent benefits.

ConsLeadership lacking in my dept., it is tough to focus on improving core processes when leaders are constantly driving the latest buzzwords and bogus initiatives. No understanding of what day to day in the trenches is so no real support. Vast difference in the business units, no consistency...

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to decide if EW is really going to be a top tier company...time to get rid of some of the long timers who don't have a clue about managing and innovation. Now that times are tough, need to reevaluate strategy!

Worked for Edwards Lifesciences? Contribute to the Community!