Edwards Lifesciences

Be The First To
Add Photos

Edwards Lifesciences Chairman and CEO Michael A. Mussallem

Michael A. Mussallem

Pros:
  • "Steady work, great benefits, good pay, and good work environment"
    in 5 reviews
  • "some genuine people working there"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Critical Care Business unit is poorly managed and needs a new leader"
    in 7 reviews
  • "No work life balance and no worker appreciation"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very disappointing, Ultimate Staffing recruiters are not honest in their claims.

I have been working at Edwards Lifesciences full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people I was working with were (other laborers) very friendly. I enjoyed most of my fellow employees, there's always a few who are harder to interact with, but for the most part, very nice people.

ConsManagement appears to be totally and completely profit driven. Concerns and suggestions from employees were either ignored or just shot down. VERY rigorous requirements on production speeds after a very short training period.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the concerns and suggestions of your employees. These people are working VERY hard and want to help make this company a success, but it can be extremely demoralizing to feel that your input falls on deaf ears and that your well-being comes in a far second to profitability.

Surprising it's still surviving. (Singapore Plant)

Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Edwards Lifesciences full-time

ProsThe commitment of the faithful workers. Applause.

ConsTotal meltdown. The glory days are over with the current management. Do not have the basic quality sense. Not to mention how these mentality will translate into product.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe workers are struggling to keep up with your ever-changing decisions. reflect on yourselves first, before you reprimand the workers for not delivering the results. The workers are your assets, not animals for slaughter when you feel mad.

A blatantly incompetent and poorly managed company.

Engineer II (Former Employee)
Irvine, CA

I worked at Edwards Lifesciences full-time for less than a year

ProsThe good thing about Edwards is that it has very stable working conditions and job security. Edwards saves many lives, which is a very noble and commendable cause. The CEO seems like a very good guy- very caring and smart.

ConsI was shocked to see that so many senior and principal level engineers lack very basic technical engineering skills. Very simple computer programming, Cad, and basic scientific principles were a foreign subject to most of the engineers I worked with. I was hired on as an engineer, and I did not know what to do with the lack of scientific and managerial foundation that I had encountered. Many engineering projects could have been better performed by high school students.

In addition to the lack of technical knowledge, there were managers that lacked basic common sense. I'm baffled by how a company can run with this many ignorant employees. Management is bent on maintaining the status quo because they don't want to be found out for being quacks. The good news is that Edwards is very good about keeping employees. If you know nothing about the medical field or engineering and if you can get your foot in the door, it's likely that you can keep working there forever.

The Edwards slogan is "Life is Now" is true for the products. But within the company, the saying does not maintain. There is such a professional facade because the workplace is in reality a very sterile environment. Clean rooms yes, but also the employees seem very sterile. There's a clear lack of energy and spirit within the company that's masqueraded by a fake smile and expensive clothing. I have not met an employee at Edwards who say they like their job, let alone love their job. There is an unproductive mentality and a toxic vibe at Edwards.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the CEO - give both a performance based test and a written test to all engineers and managers. If most employees fail, then please consider rethinking the hiring and firing process.

Keep looking....

I have been working at Edwards Lifesciences full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat employee benefits - health insurance, stock puchase, 401K, etc. Great CEO. Edwards has great portfolio of products, and always seem to be first on the market with new innovation.

ConsVery political, "old boys" club. Critical Care business unit poor management and high turn over creates confusion and inconsistencies, toxic environment and emotionally draining. Poor talent development. and limited room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate better environment to keep long time employees motivated and challenged.

Think Carefully Before You Join Edwards

Manager (Former Employee)
Irvine, CA

I worked at Edwards Lifesciences full-time for more than a year

ProsCurrent products and product pipeline seem solid. Edwards is a leader in surgical heart valves and now in transcatheter heart valves as well and their R&D appears to be sound. Physicians respect the company and products, for the most part.

The company does have a nice cafeteria, a reasonable employee gym and a basketball court.

ConsUnfortunately, I found that management (mid to upper) at the company was quite poor indeed. It's an extremely political environment, fosters a culture of arrogance and sadly, incompetence. The culture, especially in the THV organization, can be extremely toxic and abusive.

I quickly learned that management thinks that 'their poop doesn't stink' as the saying goes. Well, let me assure you, the poop smells pretty dang bad and needs to be cleaned up in a serious way. In particular, the THV organization attempts to convey that it is forward thinking, like a 'startup', innovative and dynamic. In fact, the organization simply gives lip service to these supposed cultural attributes but displays absolutely none of them.

Interestingly, Edwards as a company is quite adamant about marketing its 'amazing' culture to its employees and that should actually be the first warning sign. Why, you ask? Well, the reason the company works so hard to market its supposed 'great' culture is because the culture is anything but amazing or great. It's one of the more toxic cultures that I have experienced in my career.

I believe the company's founder, Mr. Miles 'Lowell' Edwards, would be sad to learn of the culture that has developed.

IMPORTANT NOTE: There are many, many stories about inappropriate behavior by male executive/senior staff towards younger women employees. Personally, I've witnessed inappropriate/unprofessional behavior right in the office. Apparently, there is no shame.

I would absolutely NOT recommend Edwards to a friend, colleague or family member. Also, I find it quite interesting that because of previous bad reviews on Glassdoor, some senior people are trying to improve the ratings by posting overly glowing reviews.

Advice to Senior ManagementA clean sweep is in order.

Be very careful!

Product Manager (Current Employee)
Irvine, CA

I have been working at Edwards Lifesciences full-time for more than a year

ProsGood cafeteria and benefits; nice campus; some smart hard-working people around.

ConsUnethical HVT leadership. The place is toxic and emotionally draining. Morale is low. They will do their best to masquerade the façade, lure you and then abuse you. Do your due diligence well, prior to joining the organization and working for your boss.

Advice to Senior ManagementMatch your words with actions; develop your talent instead of bringing in inept sociopaths.

Worst time of my life

Irvine, CA

I worked at Edwards Lifesciences as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGood cafeteria food - very healthy and wholesome choices
Some good people still in the company - they treat their senior management very well

ConsEmployees are disposable and contract employees are usually kept on for 2 years, high job turnover rate, management doesn't want to encourage new ideas or employee advancement, and promotions seem to be based on politics not hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementActively listen and help your employees achieve their goals.

Cronyism and corruption at the highest level

I have been working at Edwards Lifesciences full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTop management is making lots of money

ConsThe CEO and others in upper management are philanderers. They cash out millions in stock while supporting cronyism. Employees' positions are constantly at risk as Edwards trims their payroll each year despite record profits. Company discriminates against older employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign and allow others to reform the cronyism and a culture of arrogance at the top.

Modern day Tower of Babel - it's a wonder Critical Care Div. ever gets anything done

I have been working at Edwards Lifesciences

ProsThis stuff really does save people's lives
Great pay and benefits
Most people at the working level are great to work with

Conspolitics, politics, politics
nobody's got your back so decisions are made for personal rather than overall considerations/benefit
forget about mentoring; it's all about scapegoating
bloated bureaucracy; even mundane decisions are subject to escalation

Advice to Senior Managementcritcal care is constantly pushing people out the door to bring new ones in. It hasn't worked, doesn't work, will not work. Empower employees and open up channels of communication without fear of reprisal.
Will there ever be another employee satisfaction survey?

Depending on what Business Unit your work for -will depend on your happiness

I worked at Edwards Lifesciences

ProsIn the Industry Edwards is a Market Leader , Benefits are good , as with anywhere there are quality people working at this Company

ConsManagment in CC has been around for so many years it is very Political - There are some dishonest Directors that rule the roost and unless there is a change I don't know how the business will survive in this environment. Work life balance is non-existent if you are on vacation it is expected that you will pick up your voicemails , emails and complete reports on demand. This was not the case here many years ago this has become standard practice - Integrity is an issue in this division as well - If you don't get drunk and stay out late partying you will not be seen in a positive light if you are in Sales . In this decade most companys don't stand for this type of behaviour. The THV side of the business is completely different and if you work for them you have great Management.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrity , honesty, work life balance - all of these should be looked at. See where the turnover is occuring stop listening to excuses and make changes. Learn from the THV group - they have happy employees - Happy employees are great employees (dedication should be valued)

Worked for Edwards Lifesciences? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Edwards Lifesciences reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Edwards Lifesciences CEO Michael A. Mussallem. All 96 reviews posted anonymously by Edwards Lifesciences employees.