Edwards Lifesciences Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014

Edwards Lifesciences Chairman and CEO Michael A. Mussallem
Michael A. Mussallem

Pros
  • there are a lot of great people here, have made some friends for life (in 6 reviews)

• There are some amazingly talented people working for Edwards, which is why they lead in innovative products (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Critical Care Business unit is poorly managed and needs a new leader (in 7 reviews)

• No work life balance and no worker appreciation (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Stay away! They are career killers

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Engineer in Draper, UT

I have been working at Edwards Lifesciences full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Awesome products that saving a lot of lives.

Cons

Long hours. Terrible environment in Draper. No possible advancement. Managers know everything and won't promote from within.

Fire Tenzer and reshape THV management. They did an OK job at getting THV Draper running but their medling will rear it's ugly head in a few years. No regard for humans; employees or otherwise. You think you have problems with the FDA now... They offer no mentorship because that would take time away from shipping product. Does Mussalim know that Draper THV managemet is doing the exact opposite of everything that preaches and believes in?

Was it a good idea?

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Edwards Lifesciences full-time for less than a year

Pros

Modern IT environment and modern office

Cons

Stress level high, no overtime recognized and paid, motivation zero, quality of direct supervisors low (sometimes not competent people), not equal condition and treatment of everyone

Good management is a key factor of success. Please choose more carefully and listen to feedback of your staf.

Very disappointing, Ultimate Staffing recruiters are not honest in their claims.

I have been working at Edwards Lifesciences full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people I was working with were (other laborers) very friendly. I enjoyed most of my fellow employees, there's always a few who are harder to interact with, but for the most part, very nice people.

Cons

Management appears to be totally and completely profit driven. Concerns and suggestions from employees were either ignored or just shot down. VERY rigorous requirements on production speeds after a very short training period.

Listen to the concerns and suggestions of your employees. These people are working VERY hard and want to help make this company a success, but it can be extremely demoralizing to feel that your input falls on deaf ears and that your well-being comes in a far second to profitability.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Surprising it's still surviving. (Singapore Plant)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Edwards Lifesciences full-time

Pros

The commitment of the faithful workers. Applause.

Cons

Total meltdown. The glory days are over with the current management. Do not have the basic quality sense. Not to mention how these mentality will translate into product.

The workers are struggling to keep up with your ever-changing decisions. reflect on yourselves first, before you reprimand the workers for not delivering the results. The workers are your assets, not animals for slaughter when you feel mad.

A blatantly incompetent and poorly managed company.

Former Employee - Engineer II  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer II in Irvine, CA

I worked at Edwards Lifesciences full-time for less than a year

Pros

The good thing about Edwards is that it has very stable working conditions and job security. Edwards saves many lives, which is a very noble and commendable cause. The CEO seems like a very good guy- very caring and smart.

Cons

I was shocked to see that so many senior and principal level engineers lack very basic technical engineering skills. Very simple computer programming, Cad, and basic scientific principles were a foreign subject to most of the engineers I worked with. I was hired on as an engineer, and I did not know what to do with the lack of scientific and managerial foundation that I had encountered. Many engineering projects could have been better performed by high school students.

In addition to the lack of technical knowledge, there were managers that lacked basic common sense. I'm baffled by how a company can run with this many ignorant employees. Management is bent on maintaining the status quo because they don't want to be found out for being quacks. The good news is that Edwards is very good about keeping employees. If you know nothing about the medical field or engineering and if you can get your foot in the door, it's likely that you can keep working there forever.

The Edwards slogan is "Life is Now" is true for the products. But within the company, the saying does not maintain. There is such a professional facade because the workplace is in reality a very sterile environment. Clean rooms yes, but also the employees seem very sterile. There's a clear lack of energy and spirit within the company that's masqueraded by a fake smile and expensive clothing. I have not met an employee at Edwards who say they like their job, let alone love their job. There is an unproductive mentality and a toxic vibe at Edwards.

To the CEO - give both a performance based test and a written test to all engineers and managers. If most employees fail, then please consider rethinking the hiring and firing process.

Keep looking....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Edwards Lifesciences full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great employee benefits - health insurance, stock puchase, 401K, etc. Great CEO. Edwards has great portfolio of products, and always seem to be first on the market with new innovation.

Cons

Very political, "old boys" club. Critical Care business unit poor management and high turn over creates confusion and inconsistencies, toxic environment and emotionally draining. Poor talent development. and limited room for advancement.

Create better environment to keep long time employees motivated and challenged.

Think Carefully Before You Join Edwards

Former Employee - Manager  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Edwards Lifesciences full-time for more than a year

Pros

Current products and product pipeline seem solid. Edwards is a leader in surgical heart valves and now in transcatheter heart valves as well and their R&D appears to be sound. Physicians respect the company and products, for the most part.

The company does have a nice cafeteria, a reasonable employee gym and a basketball court.

Cons

Unfortunately, I found that management (mid to upper) at the company was quite poor indeed. It's an extremely political environment, fosters a culture of arrogance and sadly, incompetence. The culture, especially in the THV organization, can be extremely toxic and abusive.

I quickly learned that management thinks that 'their poop doesn't stink' as the saying goes. Well, let me assure you, the poop smells pretty dang bad and needs to be cleaned up in a serious way. In particular, the THV organization attempts to convey that it is forward thinking, like a 'startup', innovative and dynamic. In fact, the organization simply gives lip service to these supposed cultural attributes but displays absolutely none of them.

Interestingly, Edwards as a company is quite adamant about marketing its 'amazing' culture to its employees and that should actually be the first warning sign. Why, you ask? Well, the reason the company works so hard to market its supposed 'great' culture is because the culture is anything but amazing or great. It's one of the more toxic cultures that I have experienced in my career.

I believe the company's founder, Mr. Miles 'Lowell' Edwards, would be sad to learn of the culture that has developed.

IMPORTANT NOTE: There are many, many stories about inappropriate behavior by male executive/senior staff towards younger women employees. Personally, I've witnessed inappropriate/unprofessional behavior right in the office. Apparently, there is no shame.

I would absolutely NOT recommend Edwards to a friend, colleague or family member. Also, I find it quite interesting that because of previous bad reviews on Glassdoor, some senior people are trying to improve the ratings by posting overly glowing reviews.

A clean sweep is in order.

Be very careful!

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Edwards Lifesciences full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good cafeteria and benefits; nice campus; some smart hard-working people around.

Cons

Unethical HVT leadership. The place is toxic and emotionally draining. Morale is low. They will do their best to masquerade the façade, lure you and then abuse you. Do your due diligence well, prior to joining the organization and working for your boss.

Match your words with actions; develop your talent instead of bringing in inept sociopaths.

Worst time of my life

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Edwards Lifesciences as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Good cafeteria food - very healthy and wholesome choices
    Some good people still in the company - they treat their senior management very well

Cons

Employees are disposable and contract employees are usually kept on for 2 years, high job turnover rate, management doesn't want to encourage new ideas or employee advancement, and promotions seem to be based on politics not hard work.

Actively listen and help your employees achieve their goals.

Cronyism and corruption at the highest level

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Edwards Lifesciences full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Top management is making lots of money

Cons

The CEO and others in upper management are philanderers. They cash out millions in stock while supporting cronyism. Employees' positions are constantly at risk as Edwards trims their payroll each year despite record profits. Company discriminates against older employees.

Resign and allow others to reform the cronyism and a culture of arrogance at the top.

Worked for Edwards Lifesciences? Contribute to the Community!