Edwards Lifesciences

Updated August 5, 2014
Updated August 5, 2014

Edwards Lifesciences Chairman and CEO Michael A. Mussallem
Michael A. Mussallem

Pros
  • there are a lot of great people here, have made some friends for life (in 6 reviews)

• There are some amazingly talented people working for Edwards, which is why they lead in innovative products (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Critical Care Business unit is poorly managed and needs a new leader (in 7 reviews)

• No work life balance and no worker appreciation (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Short-term Focus

Pros

Work-life balance, sharp people in Engineering.

Cons

Short-term focus, company can't compete on price with competition.
    Not enough investment during commercialization with the emphasis being on minimizing up-front tooling/automation costs. Purchased piece part prices and labor content are too high.

Position the company to compete on price; in other words, develop and validate production processes before commercial release with less focus on long-term device price.

Great experience but highly dependent on your direct manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Pros

I had an overall positive experience at Edwards, largely due to my direct manager who was a great mentor, worked hard, and supported me throughout my time. The company has a great work/life culture in the Finance department and encourages employees to continuously develop through training and online courses.

Cons

The politics within higher management and the lack of support for lower level employees. Directors and VPs are not in tuned with what is going on with the more junior level folks, often only concerned with their own career trajectory. It was frustrating that more senior level employees often worked less than junior level employees.

Be in tune with your junior staff. Set a better example of leading, working hard, and putting in the effort in everything you do.

POSITIVE

Former Employee - Department Specialist  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Department Specialist in Irvine, CA

Pros

My favorite employer in my career. Great people to work with and for. Great CEO, very positive.

Cons

Management seems to have favorites.

Give others a chance than staying with the comfort zone.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Application Developer

Former Employee - Applications Developer
    Former Employee - Applications Developer

Pros

Great place to work. Bright ppl all around

Cons

Lot of movement at high level positions

Good company but with a few problems

Current Employee - Material Handler  in  Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Draper, UT

Pros

Steady work, great benefits, good pay, and good work environment.

Cons

Before you can be employed at Edwards Lifesciences you have to go through a temp agency called Ultimate Staffing for at least 6-7 months, which was a real pain. There's also a problem with other departments holding up production by getting things messed up or not having components done on time so we get tied up a bit. And it feels like little growing room, we only get raises once a year and there's not really an upper position for my department.

Talk to your managers and make sure they're in control of they're team and making they're quota so the rest of the company doesn't have to stop because of one departments screw ups.

Very disappointing, Ultimate Staffing recruiters are not honest in their claims.

Pros

The people I was working with were (other laborers) very friendly. I enjoyed most of my fellow employees, there's always a few who are harder to interact with, but for the most part, very nice people.

Cons

Management appears to be totally and completely profit driven. Concerns and suggestions from employees were either ignored or just shot down. VERY rigorous requirements on production speeds after a very short training period.

Listen to the concerns and suggestions of your employees. These people are working VERY hard and want to help make this company a success, but it can be extremely demoralizing to feel that your input falls on deaf ears and that your well-being comes in a far second to profitability.

Complicated logistics for product, but overall interesting and impactful work

Current Employee - Quality Engineer I  in  Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer I in Draper, UT

Pros

The products are innovative, and the people are friendly

Cons

Outdated software; complicated paperwork and processing of product which leads to errors

Too much politics

Pros

Good salary plus benefits. Nice work environment

Cons

Too much politics. Hard to get a promotion

Take care of your employees

Great company, but

Pros

good culture, love the people, highly educated and professional

Cons

not strategic thinkers, unorganized, not very good at planning, not good for mid level, minimal career growth for those not in engineering jobs, does not promote well from within

develop and train your experienced non managers

Great company overall, unfortunately my particular manager wasn't the most encouraging early in my career.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Pros

Wonderful atmosphere and great head of IT--always good work coming out of that department.

Cons

In my particular position, I didn't get enough cross-training or interaction with other departments. Was mostly just me and my manager for day-to-day work. Was a bit behind on website technology while I was there, but this was changing with the new director of IT around the time I left.

Worked for Edwards Lifesciences? Contribute to the Community!