Edwards Lifesciences

Be The First To
Add Photos

Edwards Lifesciences Chairman and CEO Michael A. Mussallem

Michael A. Mussallem

Pros
  • there are a lot of great people here, have made some friends for life (in 6 reviews)

• There are some amazingly talented people working for Edwards, which is why they lead in innovative products (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Critical Care Business unit is poorly managed and needs a new leader (in 7 reviews)

• No work life balance and no worker appreciation (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Very enjoyable, a solid company that offers the potential to advance ones career.

Senior CAD Operator (Current Employee) Draper, UT

ProsStable, Benefits, Tuition Assistance, competitive pay, opportunity for growth, Pride, Low Stress Level, Not micro-managed.

ConsSlow to promote, Consistent use of outdated computer programs and technology, slow to implement new technologies and methods.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet advice on how to make things better from those who work in the "trenches" and who can actually see where improvements can be made. Don't just listen to managers, they don't know.

Edwards is a real roller coaster ride, some good times/some bad.

Individual Contributor (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

Prosthere are a lot of great people here, have made some friends for life. Nice campus, decent benefits.

ConsLeadership lacking in my dept., it is tough to focus on improving core processes when leaders are constantly driving the latest buzzwords and bogus initiatives. No understanding of what day to day in the trenches is so no real support. Vast difference in the business units, no consistency...

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to decide if EW is really going to be a top tier company...time to get rid of some of the long timers who don't have a clue about managing and innovation. Now that times are tough, need to reevaluate strategy!

Great Place to Work If You Don't Mind Working in a Heavily Regulated Industry

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsEdwards is truly patient focused. They are developing not only some extremely innovating products but also work diligently to train surgeons and clinical staff on the new processes and procedures that would be needed to deploy the devices.

ConsLike all med-tech companies, this company is heavily regulated by the FDA and other international agencies. It takes a certain kind of person who can work in an environment that is that rigid in its adherence to a lot of regulations. However, I'd considere this a huge pro if you'e the patient who ends up with one of our heart valves. You'd probably want to know that the company rigorously tests and validates their products.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Experience, but projects exceed the time spent on the internship

Intern (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsVery smart co-workers to learn from
    Company prides itself in being top-notch, interns are treated well and exposed to many learning experiences
    University Relations sets up good events for interns
    The goal of the company is to create devices that work FOR patients, not as cost driven

ConsLack of direction
    Spent much time learning about medical devices, not much working with them
    Look for an extension if you are only there for 3 months

Advice to Senior ManagementHave interns sit in every meeting, include them in emails. As long as it isn't proprietary, it will give the intern a better idea of cross-department interaction.

Edwards

Staff Bio Statistician (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

Proscompany credo and strong ethics

Conswork is very demanding with short deadlines

Keep looking....

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsGreat employee benefits - health insurance, stock puchase, 401K, etc. Great CEO. Edwards has great portfolio of products, and always seem to be first on the market with new innovation.

ConsVery political, "old boys" club. Critical Care business unit poor management and high turn over creates confusion and inconsistencies, toxic environment and emotionally draining. Poor talent development. and limited room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate better environment to keep long time employees motivated and challenged.

Great company, but room for improvement

Prosgreat product and company---with so many different career paths to follow; the campus offers amenities such as on site cafe, workout facility, bb court; there are lots of fabulous people you will encounter on a daily basis.

Consculture is very political; general consensus with colleagues is the right person or good fit for a position is overlooked, told not to apply, etc. and the person hired/promoted comes onboard ultimately to satisfy "political needs"

driven highly by formal education, not competencies, almost to a fault; employees hired as early as 2 years back and are in current demanding roles (including directors, mgmt., etc.), exceeding expectations, would not be hired based on Edwards' standard today. These employees are in a "no room to grow" situation unless they gain a higher degree. As such, Edwards' is losing valuable employees as they have been demoralized. .

Advice to Senior Managementtake all backgrounds into consideration and do not undervalue those with strong skills and competencies to do the job---and have been excelling at the job.

look at the culture and the message you are sending to those in the workplace; basically, practice our "core competencies".

ehhh?

Director (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsGreat CEO and well managed overall.

ConsCritical Care Business unit is poorly managed and needs a new leader. Lots of promises about products and new businesses but it always seems to fall flat.

Great company that is growing

ProsJob satisfaction in knowing that the products Edwards makes helps save people's lives

ConsCompany is growing too fast to keep up. More resources are needed to support internal structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more resources to keep up with the growth of the company.

Best place I have ever worked

Management (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsLeadership really cares about patients. Long term thinkers, senior management has been in place and doesn't rotate so you are not getting radical changes of direction every two years like other places. Nice campus, good pay and benefits, lots of smart people.

ConsYou have to be committed which often means long hours. If it is just a job, you may not fit in.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course, keep the culture while the company grows.

Worked for Edwards Lifesciences? Contribute to the Community!