Edwards Lifesciences

Updated September 12, 2014
Updated September 12, 2014

Edwards Lifesciences Chairman and CEO Michael A. Mussallem
Michael A. Mussallem

Pros
  • there are a lot of great people here, have made some friends for life (in 6 reviews)

• There are some amazingly talented people working for Edwards, which is why they lead in innovative products (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Critical Care Business unit is poorly managed and needs a new leader (in 7 reviews)

• No work life balance and no worker appreciation (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Interesting Products

I have been working at Edwards Lifesciences

Pros

I have learned a lot in this job

Cons

To move up you have to be one of the few that have good friends

Sales rep

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Edwards Lifesciences full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

You have to work long hours.

Good but complex place to learn the heart valve business

I have been working at Edwards Lifesciences full-time

Pros

Good people, products, career opportunities

Cons

Weak internal systems, more time is required to get anything done, politics

Company is top management heavy. Employee seem complacent and most everybody thinks that the "golden days" will continue...unfortunately, that is not the reality. Do serious efforts on innovation front, otherwise it will be hard to sustain the market leadership.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Short and sweet, wish I could have stayed longer

I have been working at Edwards Lifesciences full-time

Pros

Pros are you get to meet and work with many intelligent people. A lot of creativity and high energy in the workplace.

Cons

Just like any corporate environment there are politics. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

Act like you care about your employees more.

A blatantly incompetent and poorly managed company.

Former Employee - Engineer II  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer II in Irvine, CA

I worked at Edwards Lifesciences full-time for less than a year

Pros

The good thing about Edwards is that it has very stable working conditions and job security. Edwards saves many lives, which is a very noble and commendable cause. The CEO seems like a very good guy- very caring and smart.

Cons

I was shocked to see that so many senior and principal level engineers lack very basic technical engineering skills. Very simple computer programming, Cad, and basic scientific principles were a foreign subject to most of the engineers I worked with. I was hired on as an engineer, and I did not know what to do with the lack of scientific and managerial foundation that I had encountered. Many engineering projects could have been better performed by high school students.

In addition to the lack of technical knowledge, there were managers that lacked basic common sense. I'm baffled by how a company can run with this many ignorant employees. Management is bent on maintaining the status quo because they don't want to be found out for being quacks. The good news is that Edwards is very good about keeping employees. If you know nothing about the medical field or engineering and if you can get your foot in the door, it's likely that you can keep working there forever.

The Edwards slogan is "Life is Now" is true for the products. But within the company, the saying does not maintain. There is such a professional facade because the workplace is in reality a very sterile environment. Clean rooms yes, but also the employees seem very sterile. There's a clear lack of energy and spirit within the company that's masqueraded by a fake smile and expensive clothing. I have not met an employee at Edwards who say they like their job, let alone love their job. There is an unproductive mentality and a toxic vibe at Edwards.

To the CEO - give both a performance based test and a written test to all engineers and managers. If most employees fail, then please consider rethinking the hiring and firing process.

Very enjoyable, a solid company that offers the potential to advance ones career.

Current Employee - Senior CAD Operator  in  Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Senior CAD Operator in Draper, UT

I have been working at Edwards Lifesciences full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Stable, Benefits, Tuition Assistance, competitive pay, opportunity for growth, Pride, Low Stress Level, Not micro-managed.

Cons

Slow to promote, Consistent use of outdated computer programs and technology, slow to implement new technologies and methods.

Get advice on how to make things better from those who work in the "trenches" and who can actually see where improvements can be made. Don't just listen to managers, they don't know.

Edwards is a real roller coaster ride, some good times/some bad.

Current Employee - Individual Contributor  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Edwards Lifesciences full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

there are a lot of great people here, have made some friends for life. Nice campus, decent benefits.

Cons

Leadership lacking in my dept., it is tough to focus on improving core processes when leaders are constantly driving the latest buzzwords and bogus initiatives. No understanding of what day to day in the trenches is so no real support. Vast difference in the business units, no consistency...

Time to decide if EW is really going to be a top tier company...time to get rid of some of the long timers who don't have a clue about managing and innovation. Now that times are tough, need to reevaluate strategy!

Great Experience, but projects exceed the time spent on the internship

Current Employee - Intern  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Edwards Lifesciences full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very smart co-workers to learn from
    Company prides itself in being top-notch, interns are treated well and exposed to many learning experiences
    University Relations sets up good events for interns
    The goal of the company is to create devices that work FOR patients, not as cost driven

Cons

Lack of direction
    Spent much time learning about medical devices, not much working with them
    Look for an extension if you are only there for 3 months

Have interns sit in every meeting, include them in emails. As long as it isn't proprietary, it will give the intern a better idea of cross-department interaction.

Great Place to Work If You Don't Mind Working in a Heavily Regulated Industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Edwards Lifesciences full-time

Pros

Edwards is truly patient focused. They are developing not only some extremely innovating products but also work diligently to train surgeons and clinical staff on the new processes and procedures that would be needed to deploy the devices.

Cons

Like all med-tech companies, this company is heavily regulated by the FDA and other international agencies. It takes a certain kind of person who can work in an environment that is that rigid in its adherence to a lot of regulations. However, I'd considere this a huge pro if you'e the patient who ends up with one of our heart valves. You'd probably want to know that the company rigorously tests and validates their products.

Edwards

Current Employee - Staff Bio Statistician  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Bio Statistician in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Edwards Lifesciences full-time for less than a year

Pros

company credo and strong ethics

Cons

work is very demanding with short deadlines

Worked for Edwards Lifesciences? Contribute to the Community!