Effective International English

Effective International English Reviews

2.1

CEO

Best teaching job I've had in Taiwan

Current Employee - English Instructor  in  Taipei (Taiwan)
    Current Employee - English Instructor in Taipei (Taiwan)

Pros

Lots of hours (especially compared to my last school)
    Good pay (Also pleasantly surprised to have different bonuses for performance/projects)
    Provides work permit, ARC sponsorship and NHI
    Colleagues (full team here with different departments dealing with sales, education, customer service etc. - in previous schools I was given the curriculum and had to get on with it myself)
    Diverse and interesting clients (personally, I’m definitely enjoying the fact that at eie all my clients are business professionals – great challenge and I really like all my classes)

Cons

I had to learn the ropes (more professional business teaching), but with a little graft it’s really worth it – my class range has been developing and I’m getting different types of clients
    Have to be aware of the business side of things, and Taiwan business culture – I’m finding out how different some things are in Taiwan compared to at home
    Seen some comments talk about meetings and things – there are meetings and also training/orientation type things when I first started, but personally, I found these very useful. Staff give you the lowdown for clients, and teaching tips, materials, writing course plans etc.

More group training sessions (enjoyed these, great hearing from peers)

Pretending to be "professional"

Current Employee - Instructor  in  Taipei (Taiwan)
    Current Employee - Instructor in Taipei (Taiwan)

Pros

Good pay, fantastic clients, some coworkers are pretty on the ball, they're very good at sales and get great contracts so you'll teach the best people in various industries, if they like or value you, they are very flexible with your schedule and you can have a good work-life balance.

Cons

Unprofessional office staff, ineffective director, meetings on inappropriate non-work related topics, transportation fees paid to teachers are less than what is paid by clients for said transportation, a lot of lying, inability to do the simplest things in a timely and professional manner, constant mistakes: calling teachers while they're in class, giving teachers conflicting schedules and telling them to "sort it out" with students, forgetting to notify teachers of postponed/cancelled classes, trying to then not pay the full amount for those classes, keeping teachers divided and using that to take advantage of them, terrible feedback from office staff who are not teachers, horrible materials created by staff who are neither teachers nor native English speakers. Teachers who are not valued have either too many classes (no balance) or too few (not enough money). No paid holidays, few to no bonuses (certainly no regular ones), they even screw up visa and immigration paperwork.

Honestly? Just close. There's really nothing the director can do to make it better.

The most dehumanizing and demotivating two years of my working life.

Former Employee - Instructor  in  Taipei (Taiwan)
    Former Employee - Instructor in Taipei (Taiwan)

Pros

Great clients and wonderful experiences both teaching and learning from the students.
    Good opportunities for networking.
    Pay is always on time.

Cons

Absolute lack of individual respect for teachers and staff.
    Stressful working environment because of inefficient and incompetent management.
    Low hourly rate requires a heavy workload to pay off.
    The cost of travel and time to clients is much higher than the allowance provided.
    Inexperienced non-teaching staff always trying to tell teachers how to teach classes.

1) Start providing genuine respect and consideration to teachers, rather than treating them like money making machines - Teachers would be happier and in turn the clients would be happier.
    2) Get your act together in the admin side of things!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The clients are great, management is not.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Taipei (Taiwan)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taipei (Taiwan)

Pros

The company's clients are some of the most high profile in the country, but the company's management is awful. They burn through teachers because they don't really care about them.

Cons

Many companies take a long time to commute to. It takes a while to build up enough hours to make a decent living.

Put the teachers first instead of the clients. Provide more support and hire some non-Taiwanese employees to the management structure.

Worked for Effective International English? Contribute to the Community!