EffectiveUI

EffectiveUI CEO Rebecca Flavin
Rebecca Flavin

Pretty good

I worked at EffectiveUI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Worked with PHENOMENAL people. Awesome small company start up vibe, at least in 2009

Cons

Heavy workloads, but the deadlines are not unmanageable so that is a minor negative. I would say the biggest con is most of the best people have left to work other places. I hear the vibe is a bit more corporate these days.

Keep respecting those designers and developers

Fast paced, challenging, and fun.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at EffectiveUI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The office is awesome. Open floor plan (not the place to come work if you want a ton of closed-door privacy), unlimited snacks and drinks, dog friendly, casual dress, standing desks, tons of couches and comfortable work spaces, downtown parking, great location, and flexible work hours. The catch is, you're held to a high standard. If you want to come to work and slack off- this probably isn't the best place for you. The people at the company are incredibly intelligent and welcoming. If you don't know something, you merely have to be willing to ask a coworker in order to find out. From bottom to top, people here always make time for you... You just have to be forward enough to ask.

Cons

If you aren't going to be vocal about what you want out of your career, this isn't the place for you. The people who work here are busy, but at the end of the the day- they care about you and your goals. It's just a matter of speaking up and telling them what you want, then, they'll work to guide you on that trajectory. Not the place to come work if you don't have your own sense of direction and goals.

No complaints. Management is honest and helpful.

I'm constantly inspired and impressed

I have been working at EffectiveUI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'm constantly inspired by the passion and intelligence of my colleagues. Upper management is supportive and genuinely cares about your success and growth. There is a strong emphasis on work/life balance and employees encouraged to live their lives outside of the office. The office environment is comfortable and fun. I am genuinely excited to walk in everyday. Everyone is always willing to help you understand what they are working on and share their expertise. There is a strong collaborative effort allowing you to learn and succeed.

Cons

UI/UX is very technical and ever changing and can be a bit difficult to understand at first.

Big Ideas, lags on execution

I worked at EffectiveUI as a contractor

Pros

Central location in Denver, free snacks, flexible working arrangements. Very smart people who have great vision. Salary was good but the benefits were below industry standard.

Cons

Management really struggles to translate the vision for the company and the parent company into a dependable process. Poor communication across teams and especially from management. No real process in place for any of the teams to work within which leads to the wild west feel...all the while being part of a larger corporate structure.

Management will throw you under the bus if it suits their needs.

The culture needs to evolve into one that espouses communication, and accountability at all levels. Focus on the "small stuff" like team process and procedures before you start diving into the strategic vision.

Great Clients, tough work environment

I worked at EffectiveUI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work is complex and fascinating, especially with so many challenging projects. These guys get UX. Ever-changing projects make the job interesting and helps to grow your skills.

Cons

Practical business rules do not apply at EUI. Decisions are based on the mood of the execs, not on practical solutions for the project or what is good for the client. Unfortunately, the mood is constantly changing so everyone walks on eggshells. Management is stellar at selling a "great culture" - unfortunately, since the exit of the original founder, that culture does not exist.

Stop leading with emotional "fires". Management tends to get themselves worked-up about some small issue, focus 100% on that issue for 24-72 hours and then completely forget about the problem because a new "fire" is found. This behavior leaves multiple employees having to clean-up their messes within project work and with clients. Overall, the lack of emotional professionalism reduces the great work of your delivery team.

A wonderful place to work

Current Employee - Lead Experience Planner in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Lead Experience Planner in Denver, CO

I have been working at EffectiveUI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A great place to work filled with great people who care about what they're doing. Awesome environment, great flexibility and balance. A really innovative shop.

Cons

Employees can get a little lost in the meritocracy - middle management has a hard time doing their work and selling the business while also mentoring and taking care of juniors.

Invest in your people and they will pay dividends

Great people but some organizational problem

I worked at EffectiveUI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You work with some really talented and creative people. Many people truly care about the work they are doing and take a lot of initiative to get things done. The work environment in the Denver studio is great and very flexible to your needs. I would recommend working here to gain great experience but it doesn't seem like a place to grow over the long term.

Cons

Management is sporadic. Ownership of projects varies from hyper informed to non existent (sometimes from the same people at different times). There's not a strict adherence to any defined process which makes things difficult. Office politics seems to play a much more central role than delivering.

Top talent does not last long for the most part, mainly due to pay. Pay is decent but not enough to keep talent from being poached.

Define and refine your process from top down. Most important: Keep pay in line with competitors or above to keep the talent in house. This is a problem.

People, people, people... the best in the industry.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at EffectiveUI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At EffectiveUI you surround yourself with the best User Experience minded professionals in the industry. The title of my review says it all - People, people, people. You'll have a hard time finding a better group of colleagues to work with day in and day out. The people are top notch at what they do and enjoy flexible schedules while maintaining a work hard - play hard mentality. The office space is hard to beat located in downtown Denver near the energetic Coors Field and Lodo neighborhood. And, how could I forget - your furry friends are always welcome!

Cons

You do not get to pick your projects, which also means you do not get to pick the client. The agency life can be challenging when your clients are hard to work with.

Continue hiring top notch professionals who fit within the culture.

"Used to be great..."

I worked at EffectiveUI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great folks work (or used to) work here.
    Salary is "OK"

Cons

Such a high turnover rate. The title of my review is what I heard the entire time I was there "this used to be a great company" or "you would've loved this place 2 years ago". From the time I started to the time I left, pretty much 40% of the people there when I started were gone. The team I worked with is pretty much all someplace else right now. That's a shame because a company is all about the "People" working there - and with all the people leaving, I never felt a sense of urgency from upper management regarding the number of employees resigning (sometimes 2+ per week). I've worked at large corporations that would've been more concerned with the exodus of employees than EUI.

Aside from that I would like to see more guidance, direction from upper management.
    Depending on which department you work in, the department head "could" be a micromanager.
    I was extremely disappointed with the head of my department by the time I left (obviously so were others)

Pay attention to what your employees are saying and doing - don't just pretend to be involved. Talk to your employees... then DO something. There are many very smart people working there and not just management - listen.

Company has potential to do more

I worked at EffectiveUI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has some very talented people.
    Good work life balance and flexible work environment.

Cons

Very politically charged environment which gets in the way of getting anything done.
    People misuse and take advantage of the work from home option.
    Strong management is required to help the company grow.
    Hard for the company to retain talent.
    Limited growth opportunities.

Senior leadership needs to get more involved in running the company more efficiently.

EffectiveUI Photos