Efficient Frontier

Updated Jun 26, 2014

Efficient Frontier President, CEO & Director David Karnstedt

David Karnstedt

Awesome work environment

Software Engineer (Test Developer) (Current Employee)
    Chennai (India)

ProsStart up culture
    Good life balance work environment
    Good Recognition

ConsNo major cons specifically. But spend more on employees like food facility

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognitions are good but spend more on employees to satisfy them to little more extent

Learned a lot

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe field is very dynamic and constantly changing which makes it so you are constantly learning. It is a start up company.

ConsSince efficient frontier is a start up, you tend to work long hours in order to make sure you can meet the needs of your clients.

Now that we're Adobe, will EF culture remain or drastically be squeezed out?

ProsLeadership, as all companies are, isn't perfect. However, DK and his immediate field generals are very sound. The company, who has been around since early 2000's has not been foolish in taken on rounds and rounds of VC backing, and they are very fiscally sound in running their business (i.e. doing deals that are profitable). The algorithm/optimization platform is second to none. And the folks there are very intelligent and most of very approachable to share their knowledge with you. I have always had the flexibility of working at the office or elsewhere as situations needed.

ConsLike other reviewers have mentioned, hiring new people takes a long, long time. Even though the company has been around for 10+ years, it's still stuck in a 'small company' mentality often times, and therefore, selling the company to would-be employees is difficult. We didn't do a ton of marketing. Now that we're Adobe, many questions arise; not just about 'culture' but will EF be simply absorbed into the new organization and then eventually half its business and employees be spit out?

Advice to Senior ManagementIt might be out of EF management heads, but their senior leadership of all business groups within EF should be reviewed. There are some unit leaders that seem to be underqualified and might have been given the role for reasons other then professional qualifications.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a great place to work for most groups and roles

Prosaccount management stagg is dedicated and capable
    good benefits

Consdisrespectful behavior by engineering management
    quality is ignored

Have never regretted joining Efficient Frontier

Pros- Opportunity to work with the brightest people
    - Efficient Frontier is an industry leader and we work with the biggest clients across Search, Facebook and Display
    - Opportunity for personal growth and advancement
    - Company is focused on profitability, growth and shareholder value
    - Flexible schedules, good work/life balance
    - Free soda, coffee and snacks ;)

Cons- When there are open positions it's difficult to find great candidates to fill the roles, so hiring can take a little longer than we'd like.

Advice to Senior Management- Continue working collectively towards the vision and goals you've stated to the organization.
    - Great job on the Context Optional acquisition.

Long road to nowhere

Client Services (Former Employee)

ProsHard to think of many reasons why I liked my career at EF. They always let me take days of when I wanted. They also have a couple of really smart people on staff who I learned a lot from and would happily work with again.

ConsThere are so many reasons why I thought my short time there was a waste of time. There is so many people with high up job titles that are clueless. Some things I heard from their mouths sounded more like the set of Jersey shore. A lot of gossip and politics the higher up you go. After a few months I understood why there was such a big churn of clients. It was a culture that i feel would be good for people who just work for a pay check.

Advice to Senior ManagementProbably not realistic to get rid of so many people on staff so at least try and stop the gossip culture

An Agency Wrapped In Technology Clothing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsRelaxed Atmosphere, Friendly People, Independent Work Environment, Decent Work Hours, Flexible Vacation Time.
    It is an organization where for most staff in most areas, if you show up, do a semi ok job, enjoy a casual friendly environment you will be satisfied.

ConsLittle Practical Career Growth & No True Career Development, Below Average Remuneration, Understaffed in Key Areas like Product Development & Engineering, Rewards for Tenure & Experience Over Performance.
    The outside perspective of the company is of an organization at the cutting edge of the industry technology wise when in reality it is primarily an agency which has an engineering focus and a strong analytics background. So if you are looking to work at a true technology focused and innovative company, you probably should look elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide whether you want to be an agency or a cutting edge technology company. Then hire, structure, reward and communicate accordingly.

Worked for Efficient Frontier? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Efficient Frontier reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Efficient Frontier CEO David Karnstedt. All 27 reviews posted anonymously by Efficient Frontier employees.