Efficient Frontier

Efficient Frontier President, CEO & Director David Karnstedt

David Karnstedt

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Startup environment

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Efficient Frontier full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-lots of flexibility in how to do your job
-small company feel so you get to work great people across various groups

Cons-lack of established processes so lots of inefficienies
-not enough attention on career development/training

Advice to Senior Managementdon't let acquisition hinder the culture of innovation

Efficient Frontier is a progressive, positive, collaborative place to be!

I have been working at Efficient Frontier

ProsHow many startups do you know that offer a 401(k) match, how many do you know that acquired a company, how many do you know that have very low employee contribution costs for benefits? EF has all of this and more! We also have a CFO that supports investing in technological resources that make sense, he's not your typical CFO - so conservative that you have to beg, borrow and steal to get a new resource.

ConsOffer leadership training, EF is a great gig, we can be better ... a little training goes a long way.

Advice to Senior ManagementCultivate people as they are the most important asset.

Good product, nice people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Efficient Frontier

ProsRelaxed atmosphere, flexible hours, lots of nice people. The technology (algorithms) behind the product is solid.

ConsManagers are hit and miss. Some great ones, and some less than savory ones. Although compensation and raises are commensurate to performance, actual career advancement opportunities are on the low side. More recently, cliques have formed within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMarket and sell more aggressively!

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Some get rewards but most don't

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Efficient Frontier

ProsI wanted a chance to work at a great Search Engine Marketing company because of Efficient Frontiers good reputation. Unfortunately after a promising start after meeting so many nice people I realized that it was not that different to other Search agencies.

ConsThere was a large amount of politics and managers took credit for hard working staff's good work and also blamed their teams when things went wrong. Unless you were one of the small selection of favorites, the only way to get a raise or promoted was stick around for years and years and just do all the work that was given to you. So be prepared for a lot of long hours. Was a lot of staff leaving in the months before I left.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo listen to other staff and not just the favorites and give people a reason to want to stay by giving them fair reward for work.

Great company with lots of potential

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Efficient Frontier

ProsThe vision that EF is execting on is great and very interesting. The team is great and the management team is good at listening and communicating. The technology and the work is very interesting. EF is building a solid platform that will combine search, display and social and its very exciting to work in the environment.

ConsLots of work. Can't hire fast enough. Product is very strong and the company needs to market it to more people.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep executing on the big vision of combining search, display and social. Hire faster.

Summer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Efficient Frontier

ProsOnly a summer glimpse - a great place from what I saw. Employees really know their stuff, and the technology behind the product really works. And everyone is really friendly!

ConsIf you were stuck there with no car then the only food option would be in the cafeteria, which is good although a little expensive. Some of the work is pretty Excel intensive, so tedious at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementEfficient Frontier is going down a good path and is expanding rapidly. Take care of everyone and have more picnics!

The new management has really done a good job in energizing company and expanding the vision.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Efficient Frontier

ProsExciting space and executing on an exciting vision
Brought in good management and are focused on execution
Good camaraderie in team

Conslot of work but otherwise nothing much to complain about.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some more people so we can execute and grow faster

Excellent Place to Work and Excel....There are no glass ceiling.

Manager @ EF (Current Employee)

I have been working at Efficient Frontier

ProsEfficient Frontier, has a very collaborate environment where people are its biggest asset. I found employees to be very cooperative willing to work together. Its technology is the best. No one looks over your shoulder and there is enough latitude for an individual to succeed. The company has a open door policy and ideas are welcome to be shared with management and founders.

ConsDuring good times the company should have been conservative in how they spent money on food, paper glasses, hiring. Considering that it is a start-up, employees should have been pushed hard to deliver more to succeed as a team.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. Hire cautiously and make it a compelling environment for your employees to push harder. Additionally, do away with lunches and sundry expenses and celebrate every new customer acquisition with the entire company.

Interesting work Good team

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Efficient Frontier

ProsThe team works well together. Not much politicking. Focus on getting things done. Product vision is interesting.

ConsManagement team needs to execute faster on ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are in a great space. Execute fast and you can win the market.

EF could be a good company, but it is not.

Account Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Efficient Frontier

Prossome really bright young people here, a good learning environment if gets into it.

Consthis is a small startup type company, but acts like a 100 years corporate. no recognition for contributuions.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize your people.

Worked for Efficient Frontier? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Efficient Frontier reviews and ratings in San Jose, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Efficient Frontier CEO David Karnstedt. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Efficient Frontier employees.