Egencia

Updated December 3, 2014
Updated December 3, 2014
3.1

CEO

Positive place to work, good company

Former Employee - Travel Agent in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Travel Agent in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Egencia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good benefits, good company culture

Cons

working from home and not being part of a team

Could be a lot better!

Current Employee - Travel Agent in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Travel Agent in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Egencia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work from Home
    $400.00 per year fitness benefit and travel expense allowed of $250.00 per year which both are taxable.
    Good technology
    Health Benefits
    No airline discounts but there are some hotel discounts

Cons

They don't give a bonus to hourly employees! Unless you work overtime, then they gave you a Tango Card for some $
    3 weeks vacation is accrued, have to wait almost a year to use it, and each year thereafter!
    Must use vacation time accrued for any sick time used. Raises are between 1 and 2%
    Comparatively speaking the hourly wages are lower then average
    Salary employees get sick time and vacation time and a higher fitness allowance
    To move up in the company you have to move to Bellevue, WA

Management gets the best benefits, your front line employees should share the same benefit package, since customers call us before they talk to you.
    Give your hourly employees the same bonus program as management instead of getting nothing!

An insane lack of resources and a culture fueled by greed

Current Employee - Account Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Egencia full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Virtual work environment is positive.

- Co-Workers. What an amazing group of people! Egencia has no respect for any of the "lifers or old timers" from the corporate travel world. The people in the trenches at Egencia are amazing.

Cons

Where do I start?

- Technology. Egencia does hire a ton of developers, but it's at the expense of other areas that desperately need additional head count. Working towards what SR leadership wants is placed above enhancements that customers have been requesting for years. We aren't talking enhancements that one goofy company wants. We are talking simple enhancements that any normal corporate travel program requires. Just wait till we are done with this project, it will be so worth it. You will be embarrassed over and over when facing customers that have been asking for something our competitors already have.

- Sr Leadership. Egencia is a good ole boys club. At times, I want to like them. At times, I think they may be intelligent. However, the dastardly greed rears it's ugly head and all positivity is gone. There is fear of retribution if you make waves or question anything. The general feeling is the employees try to fly under the radar so we don't have to deal with these people. I don't want to engage with them. There are probably many things I could learn from them, but I don't trust or respect them due to their greed. Avoid them at all cost!

- Culture. The Egencia culture is that you don't question Sr leadership. The answer you get will take you back to your childhood when you were simply told, "because I said so." Sr leadership expects that middle management will work around the clock, literally. Calls spanning the globe are required around the clock, and don't expect to sleep when you don't have a call. You'll need that time to do the rest of your job. Weekends? Forget them. You will be working.

- Work/Life Balance. NONE Seriously None.

- Vacation. You get a good deal of vacation, however most of it will go unused or be ruined when you take it. You are expected to be available always, even on vacations. --At least middle management is. It is nauseating to be working and need Sr leadership for something only to be told they are on vacation. They can't be bothered of course. For the most part, the messes that build up while you are on vacation essentially make the vacation not worth taking.

- Compensation. Account Managers do not get raises. You will stay at your base forever. They do not tell you that you will never get a raise when you hire in to AM. The variable compensation plan is changed yearly. You never have a sense of compensation stability. Sr Leadership is always scheming to reduce, change or do away with the comp plan. The comp plan is at least 30% of an AM's pay, and you will never know if you will really make it each quarter or not. The reports and documentation needed to get your pay out is mind bogglingly ridiculous.

- Internal resourses. None. Internal departments have some fabulous people, but every department except Dev are severely understaffed. If a customer need is too great for the department that should normally assist, it will be pushed back to AM to figure out how to get it done.

Your actions are sucking the life out of your employees. People are having many stress related health problems. I believe that if similar positions were available at a competitor, most middle management employees would jump ship immediately. The general feeling is that because AM jobs are rather specialized and not falling out of trees, that you have us where you want us. Where are we going to go right? Stop disrespecting us. Pay us what we are worth and quit messing with the comp plan. Whatever happened to management caring about employee morale?

Egencia, part of Expedia, is a technology company, not a travel company.

Former Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Egencia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, compensation fair if you've been acquired, but much better if you're coming into the company new.

Cons

Tough corporate culture. Everyone's climbing over each other to get to the next rung on the ladder

Stop trying to work people out and utilize the talents that you have

Travel Consultant Agent

I have been working at Egencia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Assist customers regarding booking /cancel or reschedule their reservation, also quote different price on fares , resolve customers needs and problems, etc.

Cons

Their really no downside with Egencia, the only thing we really need to focus on is need good
    insurance benefits.

Working at Egencia has been an adventure.

I have been working at Egencia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am disabled and they have accommodated all the requests I have made.

Cons

Micro management, disorganized, lack of a proper business strategy.

Let's get organized and efficient.

Work with the friendliest bunch of incompetent backstabbers

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Answer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Answer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Egencia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There's good travel benefits (hotels only - not car rentals or airline tickets).

Unfortunately, there's really no more plus side than that.

Cons

- You won't get paid much - in fact, they will exploit you. And no, the travel deals don't make up for it. The other benefits just get worse over the years.
    - They seem friendly, but in reality they will play a whole lot of highschool games because they are bored and not actually doing their jobs.
    - You will hate working in a super crowded environment. Everyone is piled on top of each other. There's no longer a common area where people can relax. They went from open cubes to an open office the other year. It's like a rat's nest.
    - Perception matters a lot more than reality. If you just show up to a big meeting, that counts far and above you getting any real work done.
    - Leadership is fake and has been poisoned by people coming in from Microsoft. They are horrible backstabbers who do not add any value. They have terrible values. They exploit hard working employees and then lay them off. Politics and butt-kissing means everything to them.
    - Leadership is always "rah-rah-ing" and never follows up with real, significant changes. They will tell you something will change for the better, then never implement it.
    - Most misogynist and backwards company I have ever worked for. If you are a woman, you will NOT rise up in the company. You have NO chance. Better to just cut your losses and leave.
    - Acts like a startup. Shoots from the hip instead of having any processes.

- Get rid of all former Microsoftees. They are absolute poison.
    - Stop pressuring employees to vote for Egencia and Expedia as the BEST COMPANY TO WORK FOR. It's not. That must be earned, not beaten into employees in a fascist way.
    - Do what you say. Stop with the two-facedness.
    - Stop treating your money like it's Monopoly money.
    - Stop acting like this is a startup. The organization is 11 years old and has zero processes. It's one of the most inefficient places I've ever worked.
    - Just because you were first in the travel technology game, doesn't mean you'll be the last to survive. Expedia and Egencia are riding on a very old horse. Instead of innovating, they rest on their laurels. The competition is better than you and is catching up.
    - Support women - the turnover rate with women is high because they know they have nowhere to go.

Working for Egencia is such a treat!

Current Employee - Travel Agent
    Current Employee - Travel Agent

I have been working at Egencia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Forward thinking company, great colleagues, and awesome technology.

Cons

I don't have any cons.

Very bad

I worked at Egencia

Pros

The only positive is that most of the companies that use Egencia probably don't know how bad it is on the inside.

Cons

Management, management, management! At least 7 re-orgs in 2-years with no positive results...

Management intern's experience with Egencia

Former Employee - Management Intern in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Management Intern in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Egencia as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent work culture and great work life balance

Cons

Difficult entry for non IT visa holders