Egencia Reviews

3.6
CEO

1. Sales Executive

I worked at Egencia

Pros

Excellent company culture, great benefits and an intelligent workforce.

Cons

Operates a bit too much like Microsoft. If you've worked at MS, you know what I'm talking about.

2. Market Development

Former Employee - Market Development Representative in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Market Development Representative in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Egencia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company...good work/life balance. Open contact with people at all levels.

Cons

Lots of climbers. Personal relationships with management help you get promoted. Employees are better workers than the managers.

3. Amazing company, poor leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Egencia full-time

Pros

Good pay and benefits, enjoyable location wonderful applications and tools. Many great employees and an overall strong team spirit.

Cons

There are some challenging issues when it comes to leadership. Too many people calling the shots or at least trying to. A bit all over the place. I found at times issues were identified but no action to follow.

Advice to Management

It's important to run a business efficiently but too much efficiency can cause suffocation. It's all about balance.

Great place to work in Sales

Current Employee - Sales in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Sales in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Egencia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Welcoming peers, ample opportunity, good training, good leadership. Great work/life balance.

Cons

Can be a challenge to navigate in a new and technically complex environment. Fairly low base pay.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve onboarding and training.

Losing traction, but friendly people

Former Employee - Senior Developer
    Former Employee - Senior Developer

I worked at Egencia (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work / life ballance
    Pretty good insurance, 401k, vacation time, etc.
    Lots of travel benefits, including hotel discounts and travel stipend
    Broad and generally interesting products spanning pretty much all aspects of corporate travel
    Several international offices/teams
    Probably a good start straight out of college

Cons

Senior management largely inept and self-serving
    Poor communication within and across product teams
    Dated technology and little to no transparency around when improvements will actually ship
    Very few people below director level with any real skin in the game
    Eroding morale / opportunity
    Many dead-ends / cul–de–sacs

Advice to Management

Less managing up. Less managing message. More communication with rank and file employees. More honesty. More accountability.

Could be a lot better!

Current Employee - Travel Agent in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Travel Agent in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Egencia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from Home
    $400.00 per year fitness benefit and travel expense allowed of $250.00 per year which both are taxable.
    Good technology
    Health Benefits
    No airline discounts but there are some hotel discounts

Cons

They don't give a bonus to hourly employees! Unless you work overtime, then they gave you a Tango Card for some $
    3 weeks vacation is accrued, have to wait almost a year to use it, and each year thereafter!
    Must use vacation time accrued for any sick time used. Raises are between 1 and 2%
    Comparatively speaking the hourly wages are lower then average
    Salary employees get sick time and vacation time and a higher fitness allowance
    To move up in the company you have to move to Bellevue, WA

Advice to Management

Management gets the best benefits, your front line employees should share the same benefit package, since customers call us before they talk to you.
    Give your hourly employees the same bonus program as management instead of getting nothing!

An insane lack of resources and a culture fueled by greed

Current Employee - Account Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Egencia full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Virtual work environment is positive.

- Co-Workers. What an amazing group of people! Egencia has no respect for any of the "lifers or old timers" from the corporate travel world. The people in the trenches at Egencia are amazing.

Cons

Where do I start?

- Technology. Egencia does hire a ton of developers, but it's at the expense of other areas that desperately need additional head count. Working towards what SR leadership wants is placed above enhancements that customers have been requesting for years. We aren't talking enhancements that one goofy company wants. We are talking simple enhancements that any normal corporate travel program requires. Just wait till we are done with this project, it will be so worth it. You will be embarrassed over and over when facing customers that have been asking for something our competitors already have.

- Sr Leadership. Egencia is a good ole boys club. At times, I want to like them. At times, I think they may be intelligent. However, the dastardly greed rears it's ugly head and all positivity is gone. There is fear of retribution if you make waves or question anything. The general feeling is the employees try to fly under the radar so we don't have to deal with these people. I don't want to engage with them. There are probably many things I could learn from them, but I don't trust or respect them due to their greed. Avoid them at all cost!

- Culture. The Egencia culture is that you don't question Sr leadership. The answer you get will take you back to your childhood when you were simply told, "because I said so." Sr leadership expects that middle management will work around the clock, literally. Calls spanning the globe are required around the clock, and don't expect to sleep when you don't have a call. You'll need that time to do the rest of your job. Weekends? Forget them. You will be working.

- Work/Life Balance. NONE Seriously None.

- Vacation. You get a good deal of vacation, however most of it will go unused or be ruined when you take it. You are expected to be available always, even on vacations. --At least middle management is. It is nauseating to be working and need Sr leadership for something only to be told they are on vacation. They can't be bothered of course. For the most part, the messes that build up while you are on vacation essentially make the vacation not worth taking.

- Compensation. Account Managers do not get raises. You will stay at your base forever. They do not tell you that you will never get a raise when you hire in to AM. The variable compensation plan is changed yearly. You never have a sense of compensation stability. Sr Leadership is always scheming to reduce, change or do away with the comp plan. The comp plan is at least 30% of an AM's pay, and you will never know if you will really make it each quarter or not. The reports and documentation needed to get your pay out is mind bogglingly ridiculous.

- Internal resourses. None. Internal departments have some fabulous people, but every department except Dev are severely understaffed. If a customer need is too great for the department that should normally assist, it will be pushed back to AM to figure out how to get it done.

Advice to Management

Your actions are sucking the life out of your employees. People are having many stress related health problems. I believe that if similar positions were available at a competitor, most middle management employees would jump ship immediately. The general feeling is that because AM jobs are rather specialized and not falling out of trees, that you have us where you want us. Where are we going to go right? Stop disrespecting us. Pay us what we are worth and quit messing with the comp plan. Whatever happened to management caring about employee morale?

Egencia, part of Expedia, is a technology company, not a travel company.

Former Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Egencia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, compensation fair if you've been acquired, but much better if you're coming into the company new.

Cons

Tough corporate culture. Everyone's climbing over each other to get to the next rung on the ladder

Advice to Management

Stop trying to work people out and utilize the talents that you have

Positive place to work, good company

Former Employee - Travel Agent in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Travel Agent in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Egencia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good benefits, good company culture

Cons

working from home and not being part of a team

Travel Consultant Agent

Current Employee - Travel Agent in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Travel Agent in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Egencia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Assist customers regarding booking /cancel or reschedule their reservation, also quote different price on fares , resolve customers needs and problems, etc.

Cons

Their really no downside with Egencia, the only thing we really need to focus on is need good
    insurance benefits.