Ehrhardt Keefe Steiner

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
3.7

Robert B. Hottman, CPA

Amazing culture and wonderful people

Former Employee - Consulting Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Consulting Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Ehrhardt Keefe Steiner

Pros

EKS&H is a fast growing, great culture, people oriented firm. They are a great group of CPA's and have avenues for CPA's to expand their skills into consulting.

Cons

They are CPA's so if you are a consultant and looking to join them remember that it is a CPA firm with all the trappings of a CPA firm no matter their attempt to be consultants. The vast majority of the partners are all CPAs and they think and act like CPAs.

Great company that values its employees, excellent benefits and perks, good culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Ehrhardt Keefe Steiner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are good (health insurance, dental, vision, 401k w/ matching contributions, incentives for participating in wellness program, etc.), and lots of great perks--free food and drinks, parties, fun outings (baseball games, picnics, BBQs, etc.), happy hours, annual bonuses, etc. The culture of the firm is excellent and the partners take it seriously. Pay is fair, and most of the people there are friendly, helpful, and enjoyable to work with. We have all the resources we need to do our jobs right (updated software, unlimited office supplies, countless trainings, etc.). HR is friendly and has an open door policy. Lots of opportunities to give feedback to the firm, although it's not always taken into consideration. Firm is also doing well financially and is constantly hiring new employees and searching for new talent (GROWTH!). Great place to work overall.

Cons

I'm sure it depends which dept. you're in, but in mine, management plays favorites and is biased. A few people get away with everything, while the rest get away with nothing. Hours are brutal during busy seasons--expect to work upwards of 60-75 hours/wk, including weekends, no exceptions. Hard to get change implemented, many people there are resistant to change and moving forward. No opportunities for advancement in the practice support areas (admins, processing), which means no opportunities to make more money or move up in your career.

Do not play favorites -- people notice and that only creates more division. Compensate and recognize employees for taking on more responsibilities/challenges, or they won't have any motivation to do so in the future. Also, if you consistently receive feedback that the trainings someone does are inadequate and ineffective, changes need to be made! Proper training lays the foundation to being a good employee.

My experience at EKS&H was a great, as an intern I was able to learn a lot and the culture is one that you can't beat.

Former Employee - Tax Intern in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Tax Intern in Denver, CO

I worked at Ehrhardt Keefe Steiner as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great work environment, strong core values, industry standard time-off, lots of training is offered which goes towards CPA requirements, lots of help offered to new hires yet the firm still allows them to figure things out on their own.

Cons

Little communication between low ranks and partners within the firm, promotions and other firm practices seem to be very political, Hours can be brutal.

Reach out for career advice to staff and interns early and often.

professional, positive, true work-life balance

Former Employee - Audit Senior in Denver, CO

I worked at Ehrhardt Keefe Steiner as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

EKSH treats its employees as valued business partners.

Cons

continually evolving environment may challenge some.

"Great place to work" - for a reason

I have been working at Ehrhardt Keefe Steiner

Pros

EKS&H consistently wins Best Place to Work awards, and as an employee of two years, I can see why. The management of the firm truly cares about their people and even though it is rapidly growing they haven't lost sight of what made them a great, "different kind" of accounting firm.

Cons

Of course, every workplace is heavily influenced by your immediate supervisors. Luckily from my boss up to the CEO, I have rarely been disappointed.

More jeans days!! :)

Great place to learn and grow.

Current Employee - Tax Staff in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Tax Staff in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Ehrhardt Keefe Steiner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun place to work. Great people and environment. Very cool employee benefits such as buying extra vacation. Very fast growing company.

Cons

Very specialized groups creating redundancy of work and not much opportunity to try different things.

Churn and Burn - And the partners are clueless!

Current Employee - Minon in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Minon in Denver, CO

I have been working at Ehrhardt Keefe Steiner full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Is okay pay and I love my co-workers and the admin staff!

Cons

Strictly run by an HR "Partner" that only believes in favortism and keeping the higher ups out of the loop. They are clueless and need to get a grip before they keep losing MORE employees. It's not just about losing them to other firms because their pay and hours get better outside of EKS&H, it's because most of us would rather work at Burger King than here, we just don't have time to look for a job because we are working unGODly hours! The admins have worse hours and get treated worse than us minons, and that's saying a LOT! They do their best but still low service rate.

The lower you are, the worse you get treated. Churn and Burn should not be our company motto! Come sit in a cube for a week! Maybe work on the current EE's and stop the revolving door? We don't need the 50 types of soda or the new picnic chair. We would rather have less hours for the same or more pay. Like the other firms offer. Stop listening to the HR person and listen to your own mind!

Great people

I have been working at Ehrhardt Keefe Steiner

Pros

The people are great and they try to make it a fun place to work

Cons

The hours are becoming similar to big 4

Looks nice on the outside...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Ehrhardt Keefe Steiner

Pros

During busy season, they cater in breakfast on Saturdays and lunch and dinner some days. They also appear dedicated to ensuring that their employees are treated well. Most of the employees seem nice.

Cons

Their outwardly kinder/gentler approach leads to employees being blatantly dishonest in reviews. The "what happens in the audit room stays in the audit room" attitude leads to a variety of problems including managers getting away with harassing staff mercilessly with no consequences, and questionably ethical actions.

Managers are allowed to treat staff disrespectfully.

I worked at Ehrhardt Keefe Steiner

Pros

Most of the employees are very nice and have great attitudes. The firm provides lots of perks, food catereed in, office supplies, etc. The firm can provide endless opportunities for new employees to learn new skills and strenghen existing ones. Executive management appears to honestly hope employees are happy working at EKS&H.

Cons

Although there is plenty of oversight over the quality and accuracy of audit work, there is no monitoring of the audit manager's behavior or treatment of staff auditors. Although there is a procedure prohibiting this practice, audit managers send new staff to client sites by themselves without a work plan or schedule of due dates, budget or estimate of the billable hours allotted to individual audit tasks, information related to potential issues or the results of prior year audits, or introductions to the client's audit team all making it impossible for the new auditor to meet the manager's or the client's expectations.

Managers are allowed to write and deliver performance reviews that are filled with exaggerations and untruths even though the receiver of such a review has no way to respond.
    The Human Resources Director is ineffective, clearly siding with management.

Executive management should replace the HR Director with a seasaoned professional. Executives should hold partners and senior managers accountable for adhering to firm procedures and "kicking off" initiatives designed to achieve the Executive team's vision of happy employees, dedicated to performing at the highest level and delivering audit and consulting services with a level of quality unmatched in the Denver metro area.