Eileen Fisher

www.eileenfisher.com

Eileen Fisher Reviews

Updated May 31, 2014

Eileen Fisher

Proud to work for such a socially responsible company !

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsEileen Fisher, the person who started this company is a fantastic human being. She is constantly thinking about how we can grow the company in a responsible and sustainable way. I am so proud to be a part of this company. More of our fabrics are organic and blue sign certified. She thinks of business as a movement. That is inspiring and makes you want to come to work.
    Also the clothes are very well made and the styles are evolving in a beautiful way. I've personally been wearing Eileen Fisher for 20 years. The simplicity and elegance along with the feel of the fabrics makes everyone fall in love with the clothing. We have a huge following of loyal and loving customers.
    To me it's just a great place to work and I like being proud of what we as a company are doing !

ConsThere really aren't any cons !

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. The transparency and accessibility to mid and upper management is amazing. I always feel I can talk to anyone in the company and that is just fantastic.

You wont ever get promoted unless you sentance yourself to 5-10

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsGenerous wellness allowance and great insurance. Everyone gets an education allowance, which is generous if you want to take a random art class or get certified as a yoga teacher or somethig, but is not generous if you want to continue your education to advance yourself professionally. They Also they hire ppl without any education, which i guess i a pro for those people. Eileen and a select few in the SR department do great and inspiring environmental and humanitarian work. The hippie dippyness of the co is also cool, good organic food ordered for events, the wellness practitioners they bring in are also awesome and on the company.

ConsHmm where to start...The first thing is that employees are given a profit sharing bonus at the end of every year, which is offered as part of your compensation package. It is the same number of weeks for everyone (ie 5 weeks 10weeks pay) What they neglected to tell me in my first year is that since i started after Jan 1, on Feb 1st, mine was prorated using some redic cockamamie system where i got 1/10th of the total amount. Thanks for making up your own definition of proration, not explaining that you would be using it, and then including a completely misleading figure in my compensation package. Liars. Also they promote people based on years of time served in the company and not merit or talent. Therefore you have inconpetent management that have been with the company forever, that are fearful and suspicious of new talent, both younger and less experienced, and older and more experienced. I was also embarrassed because my boss consistently used "big words" incorrectly at meetings, with clients and in general day to day. Meetings are also frustrating because nothing ever gets decided or accomplished. Also a perk for people who have been with EF a long time is that they get to treat newer employees however they want with no consequence whatsoever. Backstabbing, spreading rumers and general alienation of newer employees was rampant and disturbing. I guess those ppl have been in the EF cult so long that a new or newer person is a huge threat to their job security. I think this company is better for people who have been there 10+ years bc they get tons of vacation time and no hr consequences. They have comfortable secure jobs without the amount of stress you would have at another apparel company.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above. I have seen similar comments in many of the other posts. Maybe it is worth looking into.

Fantastic company to work for

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsWell organized and structured corporate team. Carries through to all levels of retail stores. Puts great thought into processes, and truly values its employees. Eileen Fisher herself is a great pioneer in supporting environmentally conscious causes and has a large endowment. She supports numerous nonprofits and is a fantastic leader. Salary higher end for retail. Amazing benefits! Provides excellent work-life balance. Wellness and Education benefits. They choose their employees wisely, and everyone seems to get along together very well. Within and across the stores.

ConsBuilt-in cons of retail. Some later night closing shifts in mall stores, hourly pay (as in all retail!) can be hard to justify childcare expense.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think EF is one of the most well-run companies out there. Keep up the forward-thinking and the great communication with all staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I love their social impact focus but didn't love working there.

ProsThe company has an amazing focus on social and environmental responsibility. They have a nice work-life balance for employees. People are friendly. The offices are attractive. Some of your pay comes in clothes and benefits like getting health and wellness activities and educational activities paid for by the company.

ConsThe company does not do well hiring or promoting the right people into management positions, leading to a lack of mid-level leadership and frustration all around. They're famous for "collaborative work processes" but that really means inefficient work processes and an all-around aversion to change. And those non-salary benefits - well you'd be better off with a higher salary. Also they are located in Irvington, NY, which is nice if you live in Westchester and have a family, but is not great if you are young and want to be in an urban environment and live in NYC. And lastly a lot of people at the top of the company are just Eileen's old cronies and don't seem to belong in the fashion industry - they seem to muck things up at the top and are generally frustrating to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your young talent shine - don't make them wait around to "put in their time" just because. Don't promote people simply because they've been there for a long time - promote people who are qualified to manage people and processes. Technically skilled workers are not necessarily going to be great managers. Don't be afraid of change.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Irvington, NY

ProsGreat benefits epically if you are a woman

ConsMen have no chance of advancement.
    If they want you out because you disagree and wont drink the Kool-Aid they will find a way
    People of very little or no experience are placed in high positions but they drink the Kool-Aid
    People in HR drink gallons of Kool-Aid because they are useless and untouchable
    They preach about work life balance that's a joke

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a grip on what is going on.
    Most of management don't belong there

Caution please read reviews before jumping on board...there is value to this information; not just sour grapes.

(Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, beautiful clothing. Some really wonderful passionate people. Eileen has created a beautiful organization and is a model for women. Some wonderful leaders are vested in continuing Eileen's vision.

ConsEileen is stepping away from business and it's hurting the culture. HR is also hurting the culture. Poor leadership and staff in HR is causing erosion of the culture. HR drives exclusivity leading to unfair practices. Retail leadership not leading by organizational values which leads to frustrated staff and conflict.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease pay attention. What is on the surface is only a symptom of some larger issues. Things are starting to shift downward. Decide what is most important to protecting the culture and don't be afraid of risk taking. Don't let the pendulum swing too far.

Left hand does not know what the right hand is doing

Corporate (Current Employee)

ProsOnly work here if you believe the hype and drink the kool aid. It is a very nice product, but could be so much more if they practiced what they preach.

ConsContrary to their philosophy, they do not empower women, they are both demoralizing and two-faced. Not a pleasant experience at all. Everyone talks about everyone behind their back inclusive of Eileen and managers. The so-called core values of this company are a joke. I wanted to work for this company so bad, but I am embarrassed to tell people I work for this company and people. By no means is this a healthy environment. The minions stay because we must, being bullied is better than being unemployed, unfortunately.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs further training as does Human Resource

Wonderful company, but outgrown...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsWork-life balance is a major focus. The benefits are extensive and generous--especially for mothers. The people are very nice, for the most part. The product is lovely, with very loyal customers.

ConsCompensation is less than like companies...Opportunities for advancement are low, because very few people ever leave the company (which says something). There is no prescribed career path for anyone, it's very DIY...Very few male employees, and benefits for them are less extensive. The work places are very open--which can be distracting and chaotic most times. Like many companies, they can latch onto the idea of the moment, become very enamored with the idea, and then abandon it just as quickly.

Production

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLocation, benefits, a few caring employees.

ConsUnusual work culture. Agree with others- if you do not go along with the program you
    are labeled an outsider and "not one of us". What is vocalized on the outside is not what
    occurs on the inside of company. There are individuals in positions of power with little experience and are protected for various reasons.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open and listen to all employees- not just the favorites. Practice what you preach.

Great Company

Sales Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosgreat benefits and nice employees

ConsHard to advance because no low turn over

Worked for Eileen Fisher? Contribute to the Community!