Einstein Bros. Bagels

Updated October 1, 2014
Updated October 1, 2014
2.3

Michael Arthur

Pros
  • No late nights (Close at 5pm for some locations) (in 11 reviews)

• Free coffee, free drinks from the soda fountain, 50% off food (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, poor management disorganized (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management seems disconnected from the everyday reality of stores (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun

Former Employee - Crew in Urbana, IL
    Former Employee - Crew in Urbana, IL

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun cool laid back fast paced

Cons

Hours pay. Limited mobility hard to get sub

Understanding

Good first job and then move on

Current Employee - Shift Manager/Baker
    Current Employee - Shift Manager/Baker

I have been working at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy job, good basic kitchen and customer service experience. If you move up the ranks you can learn basics of human behavior, marketing and finance.

Cons

There is a glass ceiling effect where the big heads use the little guys. They will work you to the bone with as little pay possible. Do not expect to go places

Open up your mind and ears to all opinions

Assistant Manager

I have been working at Einstein Bros. Bagels

Pros

Great company to work for. You get paid enough for the work you do, if your a manager. Clerks don'tget paid enough in my opinion. Managers get a free meal each shift and clerks get half off.

Cons

As a manager you work 50+ hours a week, however, your paycheck makes it worth it

Pay your clerks enough for the stressful work they go through.

Great coworkers

Current Employee - Team Member in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Team Member in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Einstein Bros. Bagels part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great fun, fast paced people to work with.

Cons

Low starting wages, not sure about benefits.

It was tough working with some of the older coworkers but the good was pretty tasty...so it balanced itself out.

Former Employee - Clerk/Trainer in Colchester, VT
    Former Employee - Clerk/Trainer in Colchester, VT

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Food was good.
    -Cookies were delicious.
    -The customers were often more pleasant than the coworkers.
    -Smoothies were good and while working you could have some.
    -Pay wasn't horrible.

Cons

-Management rarely came around.
    -Older coworkers never took criticism well.
    -They'd try to gei the younger workers the grunt work but were slow on service.
    -Employee discount isn't great at all.

Your relationship with Einstein's and no one else. Say goodbye to a social life while your at it too.

Former Employee - General Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - General Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I met a lot of great friends here at this company, and gained a great deal of experience here. I started out as a cashier and within 4 years I became a General Manager. The pay was great for my age considering I was only 22 at the time and trying to make a career for myself.

Cons

Fist off they pay their crew members very little and wont pay anyone any higher than $10/hr unless you are an Assistant Manager or higher, considering the amount of work that's required for the crew employees to do there is really no incentive to stay besides the little pin you get every year on your anniversary being with the company.
    After becoming a GM it became very clear that if you had any other relationship in your life Einstein's would need to come first always! No matter what it was (except a death in the family OBVIOUSLY). I personally felt like if I wasn't on my ABM's best side or in his clan of kiss BUTTS then I would be singled out at times( I should also not that my ABM did like me and there were only a few times I was on his black list but that was enough for me). There were several times I was told I was doing something right and then I would turn around and be reprimanded for not doing it the "Einstein's way" I ultimately left after arriving to my store at 2:03AM for a bake training that all the stores were doing, I was late by 3 minutes and my ABM told me "It doesn't look good when your boss gets here before you". I felt like turning my keys in that day I had been with them for 5 years and this is how they treat one of their GM's? I had enough I had missed too many family events I was sick of never being able to visit my sick Dad with out planning a 6 day vacation 5 MONTHS in advanced. Maybe I wasn't cut out for it or maybe I was being too sensitive. I decided not to turn my key in that day but found a new job quickly, I took a $10,000 a year pay cut to just get out of that place! I'm thankful for the people I met and the experience I received and I never wanted to leave on a bad note,which I didn't I did give my 11 day notice, but I will never work for them again. I would rather pick up dog poop for 8 hours of the day than to ever work there again.

Show some respect for ALL your employees, show them what they are worth to you! Remember there are other companies out there that are willing to pay people a lot more than you do and also have better product. ALSO remember when you tell people " You are the only one who will take care of your quality of life" people take that seriously and if you aren't giving them the opportunity to take care of that quality of life they will find another company who will..like I did.
    PS how can you approve of the CEO when it changes almost every year or every couple years.

This company has a great product and some wonderful people working for them - corporate level has some issues.

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of management is awesome! Each store is run by the manager - so each one has its own mini structure working within the corporate standards. This can be as great and satisfying as the manager is willing to make it.
    The customers are awesome. Each restaurant has its own unique culture, rush hours, down times, etc.
    Performance based. They like to promote from within, so you can be a young person and still be a General Manager.

Cons

They start most people out at minimum wage and there isn't a lot of wage increase. They stress giving great service - but do not give the management enough hours to have enough people to provide such service. And this can make hours difficult at some restaurants. They may need more help one day and desparately call you in at the last minute.
    The corporate level definitely reins - and being promoted or not at higher levels can be a personal preference - not based on who is doing a great job.

It was frustrating and taxing.

Former Employee - Shift Manager/Baker in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Shift Manager/Baker in Madison, WI

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I liked the hours. Most locations close at 5 or earlier.

Cons

Food seems pretty low quality for a resturant, but better than most fast food. Its expensive though. And I dont think anyone outside of the stores has ever worked in a store. They expect way too much and often request things that are far above your pay grade. They call shift leaders managers and expect them to conform to the same standards while paying you a maximum of 9.50 (which it took me 2 years to hit before they told me it was the cap). They offered me a couple promoions that I never heard about again. It seems like thry will do anything to pacify you into working there. The only way to hit the pay cap is to take advantage of short staffing and threaten to quit. Overall id say its an ok first job, but mcdonalds pays more on avaerage without expecting u to do your GMs job.

Stop throwing money away and pay the ppl how are the foundation of your company. Were not all replacable. Ask my gm at 2902

I was a student worker. I loved working there. It was challenging and fun

Former Employee - Student Employee in West Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Student Employee in West Hartford, CT

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible with my school schedule. I worked with people that were helpful. They recognized my hard work and rewarded me with more hours, though both scheduling and coverage.

Cons

I loved working there. I don't really have any cons. Since it was my first real job, I was pretty much happy with anything

not very satisfying

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Maitland, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Maitland, FL

I have been working at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time (more than an year)

Pros

early days. No late nights

Cons

no training. sink or swim attitude

might want to focus on the employee