Einstein Bros. Bagels

Updated January 19, 2015
Updated January 19, 2015
2.4

Michael Arthur

Pros
  • No late nights (Close at 5pm for some locations) (in 11 reviews)

• Free coffee, free drinks from the soda fountain, 50% off food (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, poor management disorganized (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management seems disconnected from the everyday reality of stores (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great

Current Employee - Cashier in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Einstein Bros. Bagels

Pros

Good team work, good pay, flexibility, manager always pays attention and listen to workers complains, always open to new suggestions

Cons

No growth potential, time consuming, no benefits, poor training could be better through the update of ther equipments, methods and technique, environment is sometimes not the best

Behind the bagels

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels

Pros

Great Management
    Lots of hours
    Flexible
    Great work environment
    Free food
    Deliveries

Cons

Very early mornings
    No tips
    Music
    Head strong corporate

Great Small Company Environment

Former Employee - Account Executive in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Comfortable environment. Great people to work with. Boss is very understanding and wants you to succeed. Tries to get you all the training you need to be able to do your job and be happy with it.

Cons

Nothing to really say here. The only con was that it was a sales position and that requires a lot of cold calling and long hours but pushing through it with the correct team (these guys) was totally worth it and I learned a lot. (So still pretty much a positive here!)

Not Bad

Current Employee - Prep Cook in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Prep Cook in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time (less than a year)

Pros

hours steady pace of work

Cons

no dishwasher. as a prep cook it would be helpful to have a dishwasher

Borderline Abusive

Former Employee - Customer Service in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Richmond, VA

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels

Pros

Good service experience, familiarity with corporate structure

Cons

Constantly changing schedule, terrible pay, little room for advancement

Never try to convince your employees to skip school to open for minimum wage

Not bad if you don't make it

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, OK pay for Responsibility's expected of you

Cons

There really are not any if you are not a lazy worker, good structure and teamwork environment

Keep it up

Worked one season as the early morning bagel baker--an awful lot of responsibility for not very much pay.

Former Employee - Morning Baker in Oxford Valley, PA
    Former Employee - Morning Baker in Oxford Valley, PA

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed the work itself. I like working alone, so although starting at 3 am wasn't ideal, I did get my own work area and some quiet time during which to work. It was a good feeling to see the bakery case filled each morning with the fresh bagels and other goodies I had just made.

Cons

At $9/hour, I was also expected to make decisions about how many bagels to prep for the next day, and how many more to bake off as the day went on. At the end of the day, if there were bagels left over, I was "in trouble" for over-producing, but also in trouble if we ran out of any varieties. And we did not sell day-old bagels. Ever. We threw them all away at the end of the day. Our manager was neurotic about achieving high scores on his regular corporate inspections which would occur periodically. He expected all of us to be just as excited about scoring highly on these inspections as he was, but frankly, I was not enthused to be scrubbing bits of rust off of much baked-on rolling racks so he could have "bragging rights" among the other Einsteins nearby. And all for $9 an hour.

The product line was also too broad. In addition to all the varieities of bagels and spreads, we sold muffins (which took forever to bake, taking up way too much time oven time), and had a whole line of hot and cold sandwiches, each served on their own different style of bread (not a bagel!). It made for a complicated service area and some real time to train both to produce this food and operate the POS system for it. Management loved to pull me out into the front area without training me to either make those sandwiches or operate that POS, which was also very frustrating.

Whirlwind of change and the people suffered!

Former Employee - Area Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The hours were great as no late nights. Compensation was fair and benefits were average for the industry. Hiring your own people was a plus.

Cons

New CEO cause much turmoil as many things changed in a short amount of time. The long term people began to leave causing churn that did not need to happen at the restaurant level. Stores were very old and tired looking.

Get more middle managers involved in discussions of direction of company. Find people who tell you what you need to hear not what you want to hear!

ugh

Current Employee - Team Member
    Current Employee - Team Member

I have been working at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It was easy to get a job here, got hired quickly with no experience. Also, although it was busy at sometimes, it's not the kind of place that's busy all day - you had a couple hours to breathe when customers mostly stopped coming in. It was an okay job when we had enough employees and it wasn't the holiday season. And I liked most of my coworkers.

Cons

Understaffed, poor training, worked too many hours, could get really busy, annoying manager, low pay, etc. etc.
    When I started, there was no real training, they just hire you and assume your coworkers will tell you what to do and kind of leave you awkwardly standing there. My manager would not tell me how to do something properly, then wait until I did it and messed it up, and yell at me like I was supposed to magically know. Yet, when I did try to ask him something to make sure I knew how to do something correctly, he would completely act like I was stupid and be condescending. we lost a few employees and it took WAY too long for my manager to find new people to hire, so for like two months I was screwed into working 50 hours a week with no breaks (maybe 10-15 minutes to eat lunch if I was lucky) instead of the 35-40 I agreed to. This place got so understaffed that sometimes I would be the only person making the food for all the customers during a rush, so no matter how hard I tried customers would get rude because of how long their food took. Customers also test your patience but that's with any fast food place probably.

General Manager

I have been working at Einstein Bros. Bagels

Pros

Good benefit package, Nice customers

Cons

Long hours, Company doesn't reward performance. Haven't had a raise in 3 years even though I have contiually improved profit and sales. Been in top 10% performers in the company. Taken on multi-unit position. High turn over

Pay better. Reward performance and tenure consistanly. Allow employees to receive tips.