Einstein Bros. Bagels

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael Arthur

Pros
  • No late nights (Close at 5pm for some locations)(in 9 reviews)

• Free coffee, free drinks from the soda fountain, 50% off food(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, poor management disorganized(in 9 reviews)

• Upper management seems disconnected from the everyday reality of stores(in 7 reviews)

good pay and fairness, but very little space to move around

Busser (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe pay was good, co-workers friendly, and customers were treated well. It was a good environment not including the quickness and space.

Consnot a lot of space in the kitchen and storage area to move around, it felt like we were rushing around a bit too much, though the second may have changed since January 2011

The bagels are better than the career.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsFun crew, nice guests and corporate management is better than most. The pay is decent and the medical benefit are also pretty good.

ConsOpportunity for advancement is limited as the company seems to be struggling a bit. They are having store managers work at multiple locations so the assistant managers end up running the restaurant. The menu needs upgrading, and the décor also needs to be updated.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of cutting labor, focus instead on food cost and better employees which will result in savings.

Nice co-workers, just about everything else is a nightmare.

Shift Manager (Current Employee)

Pros- Easy to make friends with co-workers. They're are usually pretty awesome people.
    - Good hours, no nights.

Cons- Raises are optional. They don't have to give you one, even if you have been there for years.
    - Peak hours can be a nightmare. The worst is when customers will not stop ordering dozen buckets, and before you know it you are completely out of a certain type of bagel. And trust me, people FREAK when we run out of there favorite type of bagel.
    - Training is a joke, you're pretty much just thrown into stressful situations without knowing how to handle them.
    - Dealing with the catering department is an absolute NIGHTMARE. They will call you during peak hours and will demand you accept an order for someone miles away who wants 5000 Panini's. You tell them you can't accept the order since you're already way too busy, and THEY WON'T TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

stressful

Shift Leader (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsDepending on your GM it could be considered ok. Employees could be good or full of drama.

ConsCustomers feel entitlement in the area I was working.
    Early hours depending on what you were. Not all bad
    It takes over your life, never fully staffed but can you blame them, they couldn't hire anyone else, because the pay sucked.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay needs to be higher than poverty level. You can't make a living working 40 hours a week under 10 dollars an hour when you have no time to be with your family, or do anything.
    Holiday's would be nice to be off.

Good so far. Love the environment and atmosphere.

ProsDrama free workplace, very good company to work for. Flexible work hours.

ConsHave crazy looking knives with fridges on ends, closing process consists of a lot of cleaning, but is very fast.
    Get benefits after 1 year of employment.

Flexible job but hard to advance.

Shift Manager/Baker (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsHours are flexible. Never have to work nights. Easy to stay busy even if business is slow at the time. All stores are very team oriented which helps create a good bond between coworkers.

ConsThe overall culture of ENRGI isn't necessarily bad but it isn't that great either. To move up from a basic crew member can take a long period of time and it's not guaranteed you will. If you do move up to a higher position, most likely shift leader, the process after that becomes very unclear. There seems to be initiative from the corporate level to promote those employees that have proven to be effective and efficient. Corporate can also pass down some ridiculous labor hours that stores have to follow for the company to make money off of each store, which puts GM's and their employees in a bad positions whether it be hours worked or what can be accomplished per day.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind middle ground so stores can be successful even when business is slow. Keep tabs on employees that would be good candidates for promotions, perhaps offer a fast-track program to move these prized workers quickly.

IT was an ok job

Prosnice staff friendly atmosphere very good bagels

Consvery snotty customers in the area where i worked

awful management

Cashier (Former Employee) Lutherville, MD

Prosget one free bagel per shift

Conshorrible management and lack of training

Pathetic downturn, very corrupt organization

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lakewood, CO

ProsSome people are nice. Company used to be a good place to work. Still manage to produce good tasting bagels.

ConsThere is so much corruption and gossip that its impossible to work. The Executive team needs to be fired. Company doesn't care and the interim CEO and Executive team are disconnected, slimy and untrustworthly. They have distroyed what used to be a good company. They promote incompetent people and really don't care about the customers in the stores or the employees in the stores. It's all about how much money they all can make.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the Company to someone who cares and can actually run the business and treat the employees properly.

Great Starting Job. Flexible Hours, Friendly Customers

Shift Manager (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsThis is a great starting job for teenagers or young people in college. The hours are flexible, the job itself isn't hard, and you make lasting friendships with your co-workers. If you have the drive, it is very easy to become a shift supervisor. No late nights (with the exception of Tuesday inventory sometimes). The pay was about average for shift leaders, maybe a little higher. Supervisors have a strong sense of ownership, taking pride in making the store look nice.

Cons- You must be an EARLY riser. Baker shifts start at 3am. Shift Lead/Opening shifts may start at 4am to prep for opening at 5am. And you always have customers waiting at the door at 5am...
    - Stressful when understaffed. I've had lines out the door and I'm the only person making food. Everybody gets mad when you're taking several minutes making 15 breakfast sandwiches.
    - If you have a baker that doesn't show up occasionally, prepare to give out free coffee and apologies at 5am because you have no bagels until 6am. It's happened more than 10 times in my 4 years there.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to build the strongest crew you can, and keep them happy. The store will thrive with an "A-Team", sales will grow and customers will keep coming. Boost morale by having "cleaning parties" with free pizza, or celebrate sales accomplishments with a team dinner. You know our passion is not bagels, but help us enjoy working here because we will make your life easier too.

Worked for Einstein Bros. Bagels? Contribute to the Community!