Einstein Bros. Bagels

Be The First To
Add Photos

Einstein Bros. Bagels President and CEO Jeffrey J. O'Neill

Jeffrey J. O'Neill

Pros:
  • "No late nights (Close at 5pm for some locations)"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Free coffee, free drinks from the soda fountain, 50% off food"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low pay, poor management disorganized"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Upper management seems disconnected from the everyday reality of stores"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It was a horrible place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels

ProsYou get food discounts. Food was ok.

ConsManager hardly ever came in to work so everyone else had to make up for what he didnt do

Advice to Senior ManagementManager needs to come to work more often

Had potential, but management was poor and ruined what could have been a decent job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time for less than a year

ProsSometimes got free food to take home at the end of the day. No late nights, my latest shift got off at 5pm.

ConsManagement was terrible. I was hired to learn the system and eventually break into a management position (what I was told in my interview), but despite being overqualified and a hard worker, was always treated as "the new guy" by both coworkers and management. Management tried too hard to keep a grip on the employees, but never followed through, and sometimes came off as disrespectful. It was very common to look around and find myself the only one working, and witness groups of coworkers and managers talking, all while there was plenty of work to be done. I was told it took me "too long" to clean at the end of the day, but was used as an example in the cleanliness of the store. Employees did not have proper upkeep on their stations, and I simply took the time to fix it, that others did not want to take. In other words, it seemed that management wanted me to work at the pace of the coworkers that left great messes, but wanted the end product of a spotless clean. Treated like a child constantly. Rude customers constantly. Understaffed rush hour mornings were a regular thing. Managers "conveniently" forgot to send me to lunch break several times (despite several reminders from me). This job had great potential, but poor management led to a very sugarcoated hostile environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour role is to manage, not to befriend. Sometimes you need to crack the whip a little, and that's not a bad thing. A little organization and strict management can make a wonderful product, where employees work in a happy, drama-free environment, alongside each other. Empty promises and misled rules make it unfair to those actually trying to succeed.

Great work/life balance, terrible management.

Shift Leader (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time for less than a year

ProsEven as a shift leader or assistant manager, you never work later than 6 PM. EBB likes to boast that you'll always be home for dinner. The environment is very laid back. Management is incredibly relaxed.

ConsWith management being incredibly relaxed also comes jobs being left undone. The store at which I was employed was always dirty and unorganized (FOH and BOH alike.) When I was offered a role in management, I was guaranteed a certain per hour rate, and accepted. About a month and a half later (that's how long it took to get my promotion rolling) I was told that upper management had locked in an hourly rate for my position that was lower than what I had been guaranteed. I had already accepted the job, and was furious, but with the job market as it was, what could I do?

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to an employee's credentials. If they are the same as or better than the general manager of the store, perhaps they should be paid a little bit better? Know the market in your area. If you're having trouble getting diners to come in between 2 and 3, maybe you shouldn't stay open until 5. You're wasting money by paying employees to stay another 2 hours with very few sales.

work in progress

General Manager (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat product, No late nights

Consdisconnect between corporate and operations

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you take care of your employees, your employees will take care of your customers and business

Completely disorganized poor treatment of people

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time

ProsFree stuff at end of day

ConsNever see general managers over stressed assistants and over worked assistants do all the work. Management makes hourly employees work off the o'clock on their day off because of poor staffing.Management spy's on employes on cameras all day. Places people in stores over 60 miles from where they live for very pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf management were in the the store then they would know what's really going on.

Worst managed company

Shift Manager/Baker (Current Employee)

I have been working at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time for less than a year

ProsNot lying, I honestly can't think of one.

ConsI have only been here for less than two months, and my first day there were rumors started about me, people have lied about what I did and did not do as far as work goess, the communication absolutely sucks, there is drama every time I turn around, the computers are slow so it makes the customer feel like there just standing waiting for nothing when it's the computer trying to print out the receipt, they care more about money rather than quality, people have stolen things out of my purse, and the worst part is the fact that it's FAST FOOD! !!!! My recommendation:do not work here especially if you care enough about yourself and what you are selling.

Advice to Senior ManagementYeah, hire people that actually want to come to work to WORK! And get rid of the liars and thieves.

Despite dealing with limited resources, I found my time worthy for the relationships I was able to build.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDeveloping customer and employee relationships..

ConsGenerally understaffed. This lead to many complications in running an effective business.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more providing a properly staffed labor force that is well trained to handle the busiest moments.

Worst Management EVER!!!!

Anonymous Corporate Office (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time for more than a year

ProsThe location was close to home. That's it!

ConsCorporate Management is incompetent. Had a meeting where the manager pointed out that a senior person had bullied another person and now they were both bullying the new person.

Seriously?

This is the mentality of these morons. They actually promoted someone who was training people to bully other people. This was in the corporate office.

HR wouldn't know customer service if they saw it. Probably why the store management and the service is so terrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of HR and change the corporate office leadership. HR is full of people that encourage bullying and lousy customer service.

You can't build a company when people being hired by HR are incompetent. You also can't bring in high quality people and then expect them to stay under terrible managers.

Why on earth would you get rid of the CEO and replace him with a board member. Insanity, means doing the same thing and expecting the same result.

Terrible management, all the way up.

I have been working at Einstein Bros. Bagels

ProsFree coffee, free drinks from the soda fountain, 50% off food. I love most of the people I work with, and the customers are usually pretty nice.

ConsLow pay. They are only hiring at minimum wage now, which is ridiculous for the amount of work. No raises. I work with people who haven't seen a raise in years because "the company can't afford it". We aren't allowed to take tips. No paid vacation time unless you have worked there for 2 years. I was there for one year when they changed the rule and no one was grandfathered in. Management up to the district manager have made it clear that no matter how long you have been with the company or how hard you work, you are 100% disposable. As a result we are a revolving door of employees. Oh, and if you are unable to work a shift scheduled off of your availability then you must not want the job bad enough. Only work here as a last resort!

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople work for you. Real people, like you. Please show some decency and respect towards your employees, and work as a team instead of in a us-vs-them mentality.

New Hire

I have been working at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time for less than a year

ProsNo late nights grease free environment

ConsLow pay, poor management disorganized.no training program

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better managers

Worked for Einstein Bros. Bagels? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Einstein Bros. Bagels reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Einstein Bros. Bagels CEO Jeffrey J. O'Neill. All 84 reviews posted anonymously by Einstein Bros. Bagels employees.