Einstein Bros. Bagels

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014

2.2

Michael Arthur

Pros
  • No late nights (Close at 5pm for some locations) (in 9 reviews)

• Free coffee, free drinks from the soda fountain, 50% off food (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, poor management disorganized (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management seems disconnected from the everyday reality of stores (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good so far. Love the environment and atmosphere.

I have been working at Einstein Bros. Bagels part-time

Pros

Drama free workplace, very good company to work for. Flexible work hours.

Cons

Have crazy looking knives with fridges on ends, closing process consists of a lot of cleaning, but is very fast.
    Get benefits after 1 year of employment.

Flexible job but hard to advance.

Current Employee - Shift Manager/Baker  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Shift Manager/Baker in Denver, CO

I have been working at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hours are flexible. Never have to work nights. Easy to stay busy even if business is slow at the time. All stores are very team oriented which helps create a good bond between coworkers.

Cons

The overall culture of ENRGI isn't necessarily bad but it isn't that great either. To move up from a basic crew member can take a long period of time and it's not guaranteed you will. If you do move up to a higher position, most likely shift leader, the process after that becomes very unclear. There seems to be initiative from the corporate level to promote those employees that have proven to be effective and efficient. Corporate can also pass down some ridiculous labor hours that stores have to follow for the company to make money off of each store, which puts GM's and their employees in a bad positions whether it be hours worked or what can be accomplished per day.

Find middle ground so stores can be successful even when business is slow. Keep tabs on employees that would be good candidates for promotions, perhaps offer a fast-track program to move these prized workers quickly.

IT was an ok job

I have been working at Einstein Bros. Bagels

Pros

nice staff friendly atmosphere very good bagels

Cons

very snotty customers in the area where i worked

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Starting Job. Flexible Hours, Friendly Customers

Former Employee - Shift Manager  in  Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a great starting job for teenagers or young people in college. The hours are flexible, the job itself isn't hard, and you make lasting friendships with your co-workers. If you have the drive, it is very easy to become a shift supervisor. No late nights (with the exception of Tuesday inventory sometimes). The pay was about average for shift leaders, maybe a little higher. Supervisors have a strong sense of ownership, taking pride in making the store look nice.

Cons

- You must be an EARLY riser. Baker shifts start at 3am. Shift Lead/Opening shifts may start at 4am to prep for opening at 5am. And you always have customers waiting at the door at 5am...
    - Stressful when understaffed. I've had lines out the door and I'm the only person making food. Everybody gets mad when you're taking several minutes making 15 breakfast sandwiches.
    - If you have a baker that doesn't show up occasionally, prepare to give out free coffee and apologies at 5am because you have no bagels until 6am. It's happened more than 10 times in my 4 years there.

Take time to build the strongest crew you can, and keep them happy. The store will thrive with an "A-Team", sales will grow and customers will keep coming. Boost morale by having "cleaning parties" with free pizza, or celebrate sales accomplishments with a team dinner. You know our passion is not bagels, but help us enjoy working here because we will make your life easier too.

awful management

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Lutherville, MD
    Former Employee - Cashier in Lutherville, MD

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels part-time for less than a year

Pros

get one free bagel per shift

Cons

horrible management and lack of training

Pathetic downturn, very corrupt organization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some people are nice. Company used to be a good place to work. Still manage to produce good tasting bagels.

Cons

There is so much corruption and gossip that its impossible to work. The Executive team needs to be fired. Company doesn't care and the interim CEO and Executive team are disconnected, slimy and untrustworthly. They have distroyed what used to be a good company. They promote incompetent people and really don't care about the customers in the stores or the employees in the stores. It's all about how much money they all can make.

Sell the Company to someone who cares and can actually run the business and treat the employees properly.

Turnover should be on the menu

Former Employee - Baker  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Baker in Orlando, FL

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels part-time for more than a year

Pros

The work environment was so hectic you couldn't help but bond with people as fellow survivors. You got a discount on food if you actually paid for it.

Cons

High employee turnover rate, wasted time on constantly training new people. The management couldn't get it together. On more than one occasion we ran out of plain bagel dough and cream cheese. There wasn't enough competent staff for the peak hours. The place was disgusting and there was mold on the boards used to thaw frozen bagel dough. There wasn't good hygiene practices including employees working the line then opening the cooler doors then handling someone's food without changing gloves. The handles and doors were covered in grime. We constantly struggled to communicate about catering orders.

If you're going to pay people very little for a crazy environment, you better watch closely on what they're doing. They couldn't care less. Upper management needs to supervise general managers more often. Don't promise new advancement opportunities for bakers then take away the program because you decided to roll out a new coffee promotion. That doesn't make any sense.

Not the WORST Job...

Current Employee - Crew Member  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Einstein Bros. Bagels part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Decent work/life balance. They don't threaten your job if you happen to be late or need to leave early and are more understanding of outside responsibilities than most minimum wage jobs.
    - The work itself is easy going and fun. On busy days, time flies and before I can even start counting how many hours are left my shift is over.
    - Employees can be a blast to work with. Friendly and casual environment.
    - 50% discount, free drinks. Sometimes you will get free lunch if manager is in a good mood.
    - Great customers.

Cons

- No tips.

- The higher paying positions such as catering and prepping go to favored employees rather than the employees who are actually good at their job.

- Frequent nonsensical menu changes such as removing the best selling items from the menu. Customers get angry and take it out on employees.

- Frequent price changes or even inconsistencies between their own stores.

- Employees who put in only 50% of the effort they're capable of are just as successful as employees who put in 110%. The latter employees are still treated as expendable when they have a complaint. There is no incentive to actually work hard because there is little reward for it.

- Not enough hours.

- Terrible scheduling system. Tuesday is one of the worst days of the week to find out your schedule for the next seven days. Schedule isn't up until at least 3pm, which is when you find out whether or not you're working next day. For part time employees the schedule changes every week. Attempts to change availability are brushed off or not taken seriously.

I was hired with a promise of a certain number of hours of work. After weeks of success, I had my hours cut because I came into work tired ONCE. The guy who writes the schedule had decided I was "working slowly and too tired every day, and had her phone out all the time," which I knew to not be true as I'd been leaving my phone in my car every day and I was never not doing something when clocked in. This ties in to another complaint that I have regarding managers flat out making things up.

- Managers can be confusing and frustrating to deal with. They were very understanding and willing to work with employees when asking for raises, but turned around with a very inaccurate and unfair critiques to avoid giving it to the employee the next day. The raise was then handed out to another employee who sat around doing nothing all day. My schedule was changed and I was expected to go with it because I was "one of their best workers," but when I complained about how few hours I was getting on the new schedule they tried to say I was a poor worker so it was "risky" to give me more than 10 hours. Which is it, am I a good worker or a poor one? Managers were also disconnected from employees, with evaluations being out of touch with what's actually going on, and the inability to listen to reasonable suggestions from both employees and customers. However, they try to be your friend, hang out doing nothing during the shift while not making clear what their expectations are and acting like they are the only ones working.

- We really need to have bi-weekly scheduling rather than weekly. Weekly scheduling is particularly unfair on employees who work other jobs or have to schedule other opportunities around the one, two, three or four days they MIGHT end up working here.

- Value your employees more and pay them better. The current management system has a visible and predictable negative effect on morale. Many long-term employees do as little as possible because they have given up on getting recognized for their work.

- Try using a peer-reviewed performance evaluation rather than having one manager running around taking notes on people on one particular day. This would help to balance out the obvious bias and favoritism that goes on inside the company. Don't use minor mistakes as excuses to give hard-working, consistent employees raises.

- Don't change the menu so much. Customers don't understand it and it causes lost business. On top of that, the menus in the store are not up to date with current pricing, leading to more confusion.

- Train your employees better. When it's clear that even the managers think they are above this job, there's a clear problem when it comes to the reimbursement:effort ratio.

- Learn how to schedule your employees. Don't put 8 people on staff on what is usually a slow day, then only put three or four on staff on a Wednesday. If you're only scheduling certain employees during the slow times you cannot expect them to learn, perform well or get better at their job. Don't have the employee in training be the only person on the line on a Friday morning while refusing to give long-term employees (who could be helping the new person to learn faster) more hours. Allow for employees to set rigid availability if you know you're not going to give them a lot of hours from week to week, and do not ask people to do two 3-4 hour days. It's not fair to them or respectful of their schedule.

Good experience with opportunities to learn new food service skills

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels part-time for less than a year

Pros

Supportive managers and supervisors that provided the training needed for each job position.

Cons

Disorganized and inefficient structure of having employees bounce around between various tasks as opposed to implementing a more efficient method of completing tasks.

Keep up the good work!

It was a horrible place to work

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels

Pros

You get food discounts. Food was ok.

Cons

Manager hardly ever came in to work so everyone else had to make up for what he didnt do

Manager needs to come to work more often

Worked for Einstein Bros. Bagels? Contribute to the Community!