Einstein Bros. Bagels

Updated December 9, 2014
Updated December 9, 2014
2.3

Michael Arthur

Pros
  • No late nights (Close at 5pm for some locations) (in 11 reviews)

• Free coffee, free drinks from the soda fountain, 50% off food (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, poor management disorganized (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management seems disconnected from the everyday reality of stores (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

not very satisfying

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Maitland, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Maitland, FL

I have been working at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time (more than an year)

Pros

early days. No late nights

Cons

no training. sink or swim attitude

might want to focus on the employee

horrible

I have been working at Einstein Bros. Bagels

Pros

free food if cool with manager

Cons

everything from the workers to customers and management

horrible structure

It was frustrating and taxing.

Former Employee - Shift Manager/Baker in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Shift Manager/Baker in Madison, WI

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I liked the hours. Most locations close at 5 or earlier.

Cons

Food seems pretty low quality for a resturant, but better than most fast food. Its expensive though. And I dont think anyone outside of the stores has ever worked in a store. They expect way too much and often request things that are far above your pay grade. They call shift leaders managers and expect them to conform to the same standards while paying you a maximum of 9.50 (which it took me 2 years to hit before they told me it was the cap). They offered me a couple promoions that I never heard about again. It seems like thry will do anything to pacify you into working there. The only way to hit the pay cap is to take advantage of short staffing and threaten to quit. Overall id say its an ok first job, but mcdonalds pays more on avaerage without expecting u to do your GMs job.

Stop throwing money away and pay the ppl how are the foundation of your company. Were not all replacable. Ask my gm at 2902

General Manager

Former Employee - General Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - General Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits package, and serve a great product.

Cons

Managers are required to work a ridiculous amount of hours. At hire managers are given the quality of life speech which is total fantasy. Plan on at least 70 hours a week. If your store is well staffed senior management will pull employees to other stores to help them out; hence the managers that staff their stores, and run them well are punished for doing so, and end up working these ridiculous hours anyway.

This is a business, and like all businesses you have to make money, but at what point to do stop abusing store management for the almighty share holders.

Unprofessional!

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels

Pros

Free Bagels is about it.

Cons

Management upper and middle are terrible!

Hire more intelligent managers that respect the little man. Its the little man that is the backbone of every corporation. Pay needs to be drastically increased! All around the table for both employees or cashiers and shift supervisors. It will be hard to continue to keep anybody worth their weight with the pay at its current terrible rate!

good pay and fairness, but very little space to move around

Former Employee - Busser in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Busser in Houston, TX

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay was good, co-workers friendly, and customers were treated well. It was a good environment not including the quickness and space.

Cons

not a lot of space in the kitchen and storage area to move around, it felt like we were rushing around a bit too much, though the second may have changed since January 2011

Stay away unless you are desperate

I have been working at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time

Pros

The people (some of them), otherwise, I cannot think of any pros.

Cons

Company has really gone down hill in the last several years. Dysfunctional and disorganized from the top to the bottom. Ineffective leaders who only focus on cost reduction, poor communication from leadership and between departments, reactive response to issues that arise rather than being proactive and planning ahead, widespread favoritism, little to no career development or advancement opportunity unless you know the right people, high turnover both at the corporate office and in the field due to poor/negative culture and unrealistic expectations, no real vision or focus that is long-term, pay and benefits are mediocre to poor (no 401K match). Anyone looking to go to Einstein's should think twice about it unless you absolutely need a job.

-Find leaders who are accountable, visionary, and focused on a long-term strategy rather than short-term growth
    -Focus on people - this will help solve many of the companies issues
    -Stop changing direction every other day, find a strategy and stick with it
    -Stop trying to be something to every type of consumer; focus on core business
    -Shift focus from things like marketing to the restaurants/operations

The bagels are better than the career.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun crew, nice guests and corporate management is better than most. The pay is decent and the medical benefit are also pretty good.

Cons

Opportunity for advancement is limited as the company seems to be struggling a bit. They are having store managers work at multiple locations so the assistant managers end up running the restaurant. The menu needs upgrading, and the décor also needs to be updated.

Instead of cutting labor, focus instead on food cost and better employees which will result in savings.

Not what it used to be

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels

Pros

Great Co-Workers, very caring staff memebers. Great paid vacation time (if you can get it).

Cons

I started working for Einstein in 2006 as a barista and worked my way up to GM over the years. It used to be an ethical company and used to do a great job in training it's employees properly. Since about 2008-2009, they've gone more and more down-hill and have become EXTREMELY corporate and obsessed with micro management. It's all about saving money however they can, and they will do ANYTHING to save a buck. They've become obsessed with online surveys. As a GM, if I didn't hit my survey target, I was reprimanded, and criticized. They don't properly train staff members like they once used to. We used to be able to set a day aside when we had new products coming in to train our staff. Then, it became all on-the-job training in order to save money. Working here was a great learning experience for me nonetheless, but I hope Senior management turns directions. They are too short cited

Remember where you came from. Stop micro-managing and being obsessed with being cheap. Invest in your workers to keep them there! You will save money in the LONG-TERM!!!

Nice co-workers, just about everything else is a nightmare.

Current Employee - Shift Manager
    Current Employee - Shift Manager

I have been working at Einstein Bros. Bagels part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Easy to make friends with co-workers. They're are usually pretty awesome people.
    - Good hours, no nights.

Cons

- Raises are optional. They don't have to give you one, even if you have been there for years.
    - Peak hours can be a nightmare. The worst is when customers will not stop ordering dozen buckets, and before you know it you are completely out of a certain type of bagel. And trust me, people FREAK when we run out of there favorite type of bagel.
    - Training is a joke, you're pretty much just thrown into stressful situations without knowing how to handle them.
    - Dealing with the catering department is an absolute NIGHTMARE. They will call you during peak hours and will demand you accept an order for someone miles away who wants 5000 Panini's. You tell them you can't accept the order since you're already way too busy, and THEY WON'T TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER!