Eisai -New Jersey Reviews

Updated July 7, 2014

3.2

Eisai -New Jersey Director, President, and CEO Haruo Naito
Haruo Naito

Overall, it was a good company to work with. The people were very pleasant.

Former Employee - Applications Analyst  in  Woodcliff Lake, NJ
    Former Employee - Applications Analyst in Woodcliff Lake, NJ

I worked at Eisai -New Jersey full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The work was challenging for me. Each day presented new issues and the work was interesting. It kept me on my toes.

Cons

Communications by management wasn't always the best.

Live up to your philosophy of taking care of your people.

Pharmaceutical Sales Company Review-Oncology Division-Detroit

Former Employee - Senior Community Oncology Account Specialist  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Community Oncology Account Specialist in Detroit, MI

I worked at Eisai -New Jersey full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best reason to work here was for team coordination on a sales and marketing level. The group of people I worked with were truly the best sales representatives in the business. I enjoyed learning from them, working with them and growing as a person and representative. I also like working for Eisai because of its rich culture. They were a regimented company with strong values and beliefs.

Cons

The cons to this company was because it had some difficulty with management role over from another company with different values and beliefs. It began to merge with the parent company and caused great division of thought and values. The managers (Detroit) told us to do things as representatives that were unethical and deceiving.

My advice to mangement is to train people first before any role over from another company. Transition new managers into sales representatives roles first and then grow from within instead of outside the company. Sometimes the best managers were representatives that worked for Eisai for a long period of time and knows the company culture.

Eisai was a great place to work with a positive corporate culture

Former Employee - Manager  in  Woodcliff Lake, NJ
    Former Employee - Manager in Woodcliff Lake, NJ

I worked at Eisai -New Jersey full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

One of the best things about Eisai was the "open door" policy of the CEO. You could literally walk into his office to talk to him.

Cons

Sometimes the "conflict adverse" nature of management resulted in " kicking the can down the road".

Stronger SOPs and policies. And the occasional confidential 180 survey of the work force

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Relatively Positive

I worked at Eisai -New Jersey full-time

Pros

Some very good and talented people work at this organization. The Nightengale incentive trip is a one of a kind reward.

Cons

Sometimes they don't know when to get out of their own way. They tend to be more involved with the process than the end results.

Listen to some of the people who know what they are talking about.

I had a good run at Eisai, I was there when the sales increased from $0 to over $4 billion. It was a very exciting time

I have been working at Eisai -New Jersey full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Eisai provided many career opportunities and allowed employees many paths via internal postings. Eisai also had great benefits and paid well. During my time, very positive culture and environment.

Cons

Due to being a subsidiary of a Japanese parent company, sometimes decisions were delayed. Success of Company contingent on strength of pipeline and patent position. When patent expired, revenues took a tremendous dive resulting in stressful environment.

Continue to seek out R&D opportunities at all stages of research, discovery through clinical stage and post marketed products. Best of luck to all

One step forward, two steps back with Eisai.

Former Employee - Medical Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Medical Sales Representative

I worked at Eisai -New Jersey full-time for less than a year

Pros

Small pharma; easier to get noticed for all the right reasons. Nice HQ building. You get your own hotel room for training. They still offer a company car for field reps.

Cons

Small pharma; easier to get noticed for all the wrong reasons. Products were at the end of their patent lifecycle and were losing market share to generics. Managed care coverage was pretty bad. Company culture was borderline apathetic. There was very little accountability between management and HQ staff. Bonuses are decreasing and it has become harder to hit target.

Be more transparent with the sales force with short term and long term planning. Need to find more creative ways to inspire employees to be more productive.

They purchased MGI Pharma in 2008 and it was a tough transition for most people.

Former Employee - Senior Oncology Sales Representative  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Oncology Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at Eisai -New Jersey full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They were eager to get into the oncology market place and had the resources to do so. They maintained most of the MGI staff and hired some experienced management.

Cons

They tried to cut corners where it didn't make sense. They treated their oncology franchise like primary care. However, they were very new to the specialty sales arena.

Take recommendations from middle management and below

Eisai Woodliff Lake

I have been working at Eisai -New Jersey

Pros

Professional work environment with many opportunities for advancement and promotion. Company prefers to hire within. Flextime and summer hours.

Cons

Several recent layoffs due to restructuring.

Annual lay offs and cost reductions, poor communications.

I have been working at Eisai -New Jersey full-time

Pros

Competitive salary, broad responsibility. As part of Eisai's globalization strategy defined in its midterm strategic plan, “HAYABUSA,” the company aims to expand its operations into all of the world's top 20 largest pharmaceutical markets to effectively make contributions to more than 500 million patients worldwide.

Cons

Narcissistic detached executives, weak pipeline, declining revenue and income. Poor science and business planning resulting in annual offs of non Japanese employees.

The Eisai HAYABUSA plan refers to a Japanese satellite "...exploring an asteroid named "Itokawa," after the late Dr. Hideo Itokawa, the father of Japan’s space development program. HAYABUSA is traveling through space using an ion engine. The purpose of the HAYABUSA mission is sample return from the Itokawa by traveling through space using an ion engine and arriving at the asteroid autonomously to acquire a material sample." The mission was redefined several times. The satellite returned with several microscopic particles and was declared a scientific success.

Science that does result in a usable product will not result in improved health.

This place has gone backwards 50 or more years. The old boys club is in effect. Promotions for themselves

Current Employee - Associate Director
    Current Employee - Associate Director

I have been working at Eisai -New Jersey full-time

Pros

Used to be a wonderfully challenging place to work and grow, with career paths and opportunities to plan a successful career. We had great leadership who mentored their staff, and a positive energy throughout the organization.

Cons

A once very good, entrepreneurial and diverse company has lost all of the above. It's a real shame. It used to be a great place to work.

Look at all the great people you have let go and the resulting chaos at the hands of the inexperienced you have allowed to take leadership.

Worked for Eisai -New Jersey? Contribute to the Community!