Elance

Updated Mar 27, 2014

Elance President & CEO Fabio Rosati

Fabio Rosati

Database contractor

I have been working at Elance as a contractor

ProsFreedom to work and maintain life balance.

ConsOverseas bids are very low.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerform an analysis on medium job costs.

More of a company than a startup.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Mountain View, CA

I worked at Elance full-time for more than a year

ProsManagement cares about it's employees. The industry is growing rapidly.

ConsIt's a bit hectic right now as it just merged with Odesk.

I have been working at Elance full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat place to work! The platform is revolutionary, management is focused on driving the business forward, and the people are great and very supportive of their colleagues. Communication between departments is excellent, and upper management keeps everyone in the loop on what is happening in the company.

ConsAs with any rapidly growing organization, there can be some bandwidth issues, but overall no cons to speak of.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep driving the business forward!

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Smooth onboarding and transition to Elance

Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Elance full-time

ProsOverall, a pleasant and smooth onboarding experience with Elance. Also, I am very impressed by the caliber of employees throughout the company.

ConsCannot think of any negatives at the company since I started working. Hoping to gain more experience to provide constructive criticism for the company for future reviews.

Great mission, people, culture and leadership

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Elance full-time for more than a year

ProsThe title speaks for itself. You are helping clients and freelancers meet their professional goals. You are at the forefront of how work will be managed. Everyone cares and wants to do the right thing and get to the truth. You are expected to contribute quickly. Highly collaborative environment. There aren't silly egos and politics to deal with and the leadership team really wants to work together as a team to provide clear vision and direction for the organization. Shockingly drama-free environment.

ConsThe place is growing fast and the company needs to start thinking actively about process, controls and accountability without adversely impacting the culture that exists today.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep an eye on the big challenges of growth and scale. It would be a shame to lose what we have.

Great culture, amazing people, compelling mission

I have been working at Elance full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat culture, amazing people, compelling mission

ConsStart-ups are hard work! ;)

Great place to work!!!

Sales (Current Employee)
Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Elance full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat product, great people, awesome culture. Management is very transparent and they give you the tools necessary to make you successful. Managers truly have a vested interest in their people's success. People treat each other with respect, no politics. They bring in food and have drinks and snacks located throughout the building. People are very helpful. The on-boarding process was very organized and I was up and running quickly! Every Thursday is a fun company event.

ConsThe only con would be my commute but it's really not that big of a deal.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in your employees and keep investing in the culture as we grow. That's what attracted me in the first place.

Work Hard, Play Harder, Be Inspired and Making an Impact

Senior Business Development Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Elance full-time for more than a year

ProsI've been with Elance just over a year and a half now and the one thing I can say with confidence is I love the people here. I get excited to come to work everyday with some of the smartest people I've ever met. It says a lot about a company's culture when your one main common goal is making a difference in the world. We all work very hard, but you feel appreciated and valued. Management goes out of their way to supply you with the tools you need to succeed while also encouraging and standing up for your hard work. I am constantly humbled by their leadership and genuineness.

I think one of the most powerful things I have experience with the company, outside it's fantastic vision, is that the company is incredibly flexible and caring. If you are concerned about your role with the company they will find one that suits your needs for more responsibility personal growth, and satisfaction. You have plenty of opportunities when you work for Elance.

Lastly, it really does making a difference having an incredibly inspiring CEO. Fabio makes a real effort to connect with you, check in on how you are doing, is incredibly transparent about our progress, and is just a pleasure to talk to.

I love my job, it's as simple as that.

ConsHonestly, there isn't much to be said that is a solid "Con". The company has doubled since I began working here and it's getting harder to know everyone's name. There also are occasional org shifts due to teams growing larger which has led to a bump or two in the road for me personally but nothing serious.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. However, I personally wouldn't mind more inner-team or departmental events off-site from time to time.

Elance is my extended family

I have been working at Elance full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI have been with Elance for 7 years now, the longest so far I have stayed in one company. I enjoy coming to work daily thinking that I will be working with a group of talented people who are like family to me. I am very pleased with the flexibility my job offers which gives me excellent work/life balance, such a great place to work, the best!

ConsI can't think of any, every one is a team player, great people equals great company!

great company to work in

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Elance full-time for more than a year

Prosgreat people, friendly work environment, working on a product that has a positive social impact around the world

ConsI can't think of any downsides right now. I this is a great company to work in and I like it here.

Worked for Elance? Contribute to the Community!

Elance Videos

Elance – Why Work for Us?

Come work where people say “Happy Monday” and actually mean it (seriously, no joke). A funny thing happens when your job is putting mile-wide grins on the faces of online freelancers and the businesses who hire them… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Elance reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Elance CEO Fabio Rosati. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by Elance employees.