Elance Reviews

Fabio Rosati

Great people!

Former Employee - Member of Finance Team in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Member of Finance Team in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Elance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people and culture. I had the pleasure to work with the Controller and VP of Finance, they both have great leadership skills and knowledge.

The company has flexible schedules and help employees to interact with each other thru social events. I miss the weekly "buzz" event.

Cons

Some internal systems could be improved

I enjoyed my tenure at Elance.

Small Company, Big Heart

Current Employee - Visual Designer (User Interface) in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Visual Designer (User Interface) in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Elance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture here is so fun to be a part of. Everyone pretty much knows each other, food and drinks are always stocked and catered. Management is great and is always looking for ways to improve. Feeling of a large company but with the aura of a start up.

Cons

Too much food means I never leave, also parking is occasionally an issue (if that's even an issue)

Keep pushing us to provide great work, we can reach our goal!

Database contractor

I have been working at Elance as a contractor

Pros

Freedom to work and maintain life balance.

Cons

Overseas bids are very low.

Perform an analysis on medium job costs.

More of a company than a startup.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Elance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management cares about it's employees. The industry is growing rapidly.

Cons

It's a bit hectic right now as it just merged with Odesk.

Smooth onboarding and transition to Elance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Elance full-time

Pros

Overall, a pleasant and smooth onboarding experience with Elance. Also, I am very impressed by the caliber of employees throughout the company.

Cons

Cannot think of any negatives at the company since I started working. Hoping to gain more experience to provide constructive criticism for the company for future reviews.

Great mission, people, culture and leadership

Current Employee - Vice President in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Elance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The title speaks for itself. You are helping clients and freelancers meet their professional goals. You are at the forefront of how work will be managed. Everyone cares and wants to do the right thing and get to the truth. You are expected to contribute quickly. Highly collaborative environment. There aren't silly egos and politics to deal with and the leadership team really wants to work together as a team to provide clear vision and direction for the organization. Shockingly drama-free environment.

Cons

The place is growing fast and the company needs to start thinking actively about process, controls and accountability without adversely impacting the culture that exists today.

Keep an eye on the big challenges of growth and scale. It would be a shame to lose what we have.

Great culture, amazing people, compelling mission

I have been working at Elance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture, amazing people, compelling mission

Cons

Start-ups are hard work! ;)

Great place to work!!!

Current Employee - Sales in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Elance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great product, great people, awesome culture. Management is very transparent and they give you the tools necessary to make you successful. Managers truly have a vested interest in their people's success. People treat each other with respect, no politics. They bring in food and have drinks and snacks located throughout the building. People are very helpful. The on-boarding process was very organized and I was up and running quickly! Every Thursday is a fun company event.

Cons

The only con would be my commute but it's really not that big of a deal.

Keep investing in your employees and keep investing in the culture as we grow. That's what attracted me in the first place.

Work Hard, Play Harder, Be Inspired and Making an Impact

Current Employee - Senior Business Development Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Development Associate in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Elance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been with Elance just over a year and a half now and the one thing I can say with confidence is I love the people here. I get excited to come to work everyday with some of the smartest people I've ever met. It says a lot about a company's culture when your one main common goal is making a difference in the world. We all work very hard, but you feel appreciated and valued. Management goes out of their way to supply you with the tools you need to succeed while also encouraging and standing up for your hard work. I am constantly humbled by their leadership and genuineness.

I think one of the most powerful things I have experience with the company, outside it's fantastic vision, is that the company is incredibly flexible and caring. If you are concerned about your role with the company they will find one that suits your needs for more responsibility personal growth, and satisfaction. You have plenty of opportunities when you work for Elance.

Lastly, it really does making a difference having an incredibly inspiring CEO. Fabio makes a real effort to connect with you, check in on how you are doing, is incredibly transparent about our progress, and is just a pleasure to talk to.

I love my job, it's as simple as that.

Cons

Honestly, there isn't much to be said that is a solid "Con". The company has doubled since I began working here and it's getting harder to know everyone's name. There also are occasional org shifts due to teams growing larger which has led to a bump or two in the road for me personally but nothing serious.

Keep doing what you are doing. However, I personally wouldn't mind more inner-team or departmental events off-site from time to time.

Elance is my extended family

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Elance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been with Elance for 7 years now, the longest so far I have stayed in one company. I enjoy coming to work daily thinking that I will be working with a group of talented people who are like family to me. I am very pleased with the flexibility my job offers which gives me excellent work/life balance, such a great place to work, the best!

Cons

I can't think of any, every one is a team player, great people equals great company!