Elance Reviews

4.8

Elance President & CEO Fabio Rosati
Fabio Rosati

great company to work in

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Elance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great people, friendly work environment, working on a product that has a positive social impact around the world

Cons

I can't think of any downsides right now. I this is a great company to work in and I like it here.

Changing the way the world works

Current Employee - Director in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Elance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Elance has a noble mission - to connect businesses and entrepreneurs with freelance talent from anywhere in the world. This is a barrier reduction and facilitates global trade on a mass scale. This empowers people all around the world, yes including people in the U.S., to be a business of one. Ultimately, the platforms like Elance increase competition in the labor markets, which is good for society in the long run. Many companies say they are trying to change the world, but Elance really is changing the world. Like other people have said, the environment is very laid back, which can be a challenge to anyone who is ambitious and has a lot of ideas to improve the business.

Cons

Not many cons, other than the company has so much promise and doesn't move fast enough considering it's relatively small size. Tons of niche labor marketplaces are coming online now to challenge Elance and their main competitor as a result. There isn't much of a risk taking mentality at the company, which hinder it's chances from reaching an exit. Ideas are often looked upon as a challenge to senior management authority

Your platform inspires entrepreneurs around the world - you should build some of that inspiration and entrepreneurial spirit into the company culture/DNA - it will unleash the creativity of your employees.

Inspiring vision. Even better place to work

Current Employee - Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Elance full-time

Pros

There are a lot of them: Work from home every other week. The hiring of freelancers is encouraged. Everyone in the company is passionate about the vision. Senior management seems to care a great deal about everyone at the company.

Cons

Working in Mountain View is not as fun as working in San Francisco, particularly if you have to commute

Keep bringing in new talent and keep listening to their ideas.

Great company filled with innovative people

I have been working at Elance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love what Elance stands for, bringing career opportunities to people around the world in a matter of seconds. As a recent graduate student, the Senior Managers have really challenged me in all possible directions. They have pushed me out of my comfort zone and let me do things they know I could achieve. I have been with the company very shortly, but I have learned a great deal about the business and how to succeed in it. Not only is the company great, but so are the people. People at Elance really strive to do their best every day because customer satisfaction is our number one priority. Overall, Elance is a fast-paced environment filled with dedicated people that are eager to learn and contribute to a growing industry.

Cons

The only negative thing I would have to say is the long commute. My travel time to and from work is at least an hour each way. The company does offer work from home days every other week to help those that do have a long commute.

Great place to work and learn in a fast-paced industry with smart people.

Former Employee - Marketing in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Elance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Elance is a great place to work. Management is solid with a real commitment to excellence that permeates through the culture. There is a strong focus on hiring well, and as a result, the team is smart and the people who work there are can-do people. There is good teamwork across departments and it fosters an environment that is very solution-oriented. The industry of online work is a fast-paced, dynamic one which presents interesting work across the board from engineering to marketing. The culture is supportive and friendly (and family-friendly). The people are fun to work with, the work is challenging and the world of online work is fascinating and growing rapidly. Overall, a solid, stable, fun and interesting place to work.

Cons

For me, the only downside was my commute. Management was very supportive and let me adjust hours for my commute and even offered work from home days.

Great workplace with inspiring co-workers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Elance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Collaboration is encouraged and valued
    -Career growth is supported, allowing you to learn multiple skills
    -Leadership team is very involved with working teams to provide guidance
    -Online employment is exciting new space and provides opportunity to help revolutionize work

Cons

-Communication isn't always trickled down from the leadership team
    -Job responsibilities & org structure aren't always clear

-Share org changes with company

Great company, great mission!

I have been working at Elance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Love working here! The company overall has a great atmosphere, the team is very committed to building a business that is not just a fast-growth flame but real and sustainable; and the team is strong while being humble. A truly great place to work.

Cons

The cubicles are very 1990... glad they will be fixing that soon though. And we don't have a cafe and the location is somewhat of a food desert... but all small gripes.

Live the mission of changing the world for talent and giving others great opportunities! It's very inspiring, we'd love more.

Amazing Company to grow with

I have been working at Elance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Leadership has integrity and character
    Driven and collaborative team

Cons

honestly having trouble with the cons...

Good company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Elance

Pros

Good work live balance. Casual and relax work enviornment.

Cons

The group is a bit "clique-ish" but the company throws weekly social event to have employees mingle.

I think management hire people from big name/prestigious schools but there are smart people who went to no name or unranked school.

World Class Company

Current Employee - Customer Operations Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Operations Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Elance

Pros

- Elance is a dynamic company with excellent job opportunities for talented people. Personally, Elance has been great for my professional growth.
    - Opportunity to work with smart and dedicated people is a great benefit.
    - Many employees seem to stick around for many years which is a good sign too.
    - The company is moving in the right direction in an exciting industry. I am looking forward to seeing where Elance is in a year or two.

Cons

The office is getting a little cramped and getting a conference room on short notice is tricky. Fortunately, the office is getting redesigned early next year.

Stay the course. The leadership team is moving in the right direction in terms of growing the business. I am looking forward to seeing where Elance is in a year or two.