Elance Reviews

Updated April 25, 2014

4.8

Elance President & CEO Fabio Rosati
Fabio Rosati

Great company, amazing people.

I have been working at Elance

Pros

- Working with bright people that love what they do
    - Friendly and collaborative environment
    - A lot of opportunities for professional growth

Cons

- Almost no downtime to take a breather from the rapid pace the company is running at. It's very exciting but could be taxing at times

More structured ways to mentor & groom employees for further professions growth

Awesome!

I have been working at Elance

Pros

- Super smart people who work collaboratively and are fun to be around
    - Challenging work
    - Recognition
    - Accessible management team
    - Did I say super smart people??

Cons

- You have to want to work really hard and push yourself....could be a con for some.

More regular, one on one meetings with the team.

Sr Mgmt needs to get heads out of sand

I have been working at Elance

Pros

If you are able to swallow your pride and not do too much to stand out, there are decent career opportunities available.

Cons

Sr Mgmt seems to have very little appetite to spend the $$$ necessary to grow the company. Overall, its an interesting business model, but the Exec team (in particular the CEO) seem satisfied with the status quo and not ever growing beyond the small 50 employee company they are today.

How in the world the CEO hasnt been replaced by the Board of Directors is amazing. Growth rates are flat to almost nothing, and any talented individuals last no longer than 6-12 months before they get tired of pounding their head against the wall. On top of that, if you push back on any opinions of the Exec team you might as well start polishing up your resume because you'll be labeled "against us" and they'll replace you. I'm all for riding the company line but its to the point where they quash any interesting dialogue that they dont feel warrants the discussion.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Former software engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Elance

Pros

Market leader which at times can fulfill promises to reward employees with company events. Decent pay and benefits, although nothing amazing.

Cons

Poor leadership, inability to reward hard work, deceptive practices when it comes to fulfilling promises it has made to employees regarding events, lunches, and other activities.

Elance could be a great company. The high turnover rate of management as well as the lesser employees will make Elance a company that will spin its wheels while making little progress for some time to come.

Love Elance!!

I have been working at Elance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Elance keeps getting better. I'm reading old reviews and it's only fair to say that things like "cubes from the 1990's" are no longer. We have a really cool and open layout. It's great to hear everyone talking about new ideas and approaches. The bar has always been high when it comes to hiring so my team has had some really smart additions and I'm excited to learn from them. It's a great place to work and learn and the people are awesome. The environment is really flexible too.

Cons

It's my own fault, but I should use the San Francisco office more often. Other than that, no complaints!

Growth, Challenge, Integrity, Respect

I have been working at Elance full-time

Pros

Amazing company with great vision and outstanding people. Elance is the future of employment and is current evolving at a tremendous rate. The company has a very fast paced work environment so one is constantly learning/being thrown into challenging situations that allowed one to thrive and work harder. Managers and Directors are very respectful, supportive and constructive with the mentality of wanting their team to always be growing and advancing forward. Coworkers are very friendly and mindful of each other. The company does a great job at creating a fun working environment and making sure the employees feel comfortable at all time.

Cons

It used to be the commute but I have since moved closer.

Talented and Smart Individuals

I have been working at Elance

Pros

Elance is in an exciting space at an exciting time - It's awesome to be a part of a company that makes a great impact to people across the globe!
    Extremely talented and smart employees- we all learn from each other
    Challenging work and great opportunity for career growth - flexibility & ability to try new things

Cons

Commute may be unpredictable at times, but it's great place to be!

Interesting

I worked at Elance

Pros

It is one of the most professional freelancing networks to work in, and is one of the most organized.

Cons

Fixed payment projects are not guaranteed, and it is very difficult to get the first job on Elance.

Please guarantee that money will be given to workers on fixed payment projects.

Pretty average experience

Former Employee - Senior Product Specialist
    Former Employee - Senior Product Specialist

I worked at Elance

Pros

Some very strong and s mart people there. A go od but no lon ger unique bus in ess model

Cons

The business model is no longer unique. They'll need to do something else to create an edge and maintain it.

Look for more opportunities in small niche areas. Ask your people for more feedback. Don't be afraied to break out from what already doing.

Working at Elance

I have been working at Elance

Pros

Flexible work environment
    Work from home on Wednesdays
    Using the Elance site to improve the Elance site
    Talented and fun team
    Open communication
    Debates are constructive
    Unique leader in the industry

Cons

Not enough focus
    Change is driven by individual ranters on Twitter, Facebook, etc.
    No one's really heard of Elance
    Alot of ideas, but lack of growth in headcount where needed to make it happen

Focus on 5 things to excel at, not 50.
    Learn from the past on how to prioritize and plan better.

Worked for Elance? Contribute to the Community!