Electric Cloud

Electric Cloud Reviews

Updated Jun 18, 2014

Electric Cloud CEO Steve Brodie

Steve Brodie

Great culture and people!

ProsWe have a great culture and really smart colleagues who are helpful, passionate about the products and like to have fun. There are opportunities and support for growth in your role. The company is growing in an exciting and changing space to work in.

ConsThere have been many recent changes in the organization and management that have affected plans and continuity.

Good People, Good Tech, Bad Leadership, Poor Vision

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company has some great technology, and the office culture is friendly and inviting.

ConsFor a company that makes software to help other people build software faster, you'd think the management would put 'building our software better' as a higher priority than it is. The CTO doesn't do his job; sales and marketing dominate leadership, and nobody on the executive level actually uses their software. Cargo cult thinking dominates. There management:engineering ratio is something like 1:3.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you can tell the story of how electric cloud uses its own software to fix internal problems and deliver great results, you'll have all the customers you can handle. Don't aim to be the leader; only people who are not leaders do that. Aim to be really good, and leadership will follow. Also, stop taking people from Serena - there's a reason that place went down. The problems you have are all over the place at many companies, and the reasons you give for not fixing them are the same reasons being given at other companies.

Making a difference in the world through faster delivery of software

ProsThe people make the company, and it's a real pleasure working with very talented co-workers who also like to have fun. The technology and space we play in is constantly evolving, so there's never a dull moment when it comes to being challenged by customers to do even more, which leads to creative solutions that the company encourages. If you make a mistake, own up to it, learn from it, and move on. That's one of our tenants that I really appreciate.

ConsThere's a lot to learn very quickly, and the information you need isn't always as easy to find as it could be.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery company that makes software needs to know our name. We are thought leaders. Let's get the world to recognize it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Can it be sunny behind the cloud

Field Sales (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsVery brillant and helpful technical sale team. Despite being spread across the world, it feels like belonging to a very tight team. People will go out their way to help.

ConsA lot of changes in the last 18 months in management, sales, product and engineering.
    The new product has taken too much focus away from the current product
    Need better on-boarding

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more focus on the future of products.

If I did not believe, I would not be here.

ProsGreat leadership. The management staff knows the difference between being a manager and being a leader. Clear direction. Lots of potential and a plan that is looking to exploit that potential. Investors believe in the company and its products, otherwise they would not continue putting money into it. I used to work for the largest investor, so I know very well the meaning of that. I have been encouraged to speak up and contribute to the vision for the products and the company, and my opinions are taken seriously even though the debates are sometimes passionate and we don't always agree. The CEO is very positive about the company and the team and doesn't try to micromanage. The middle management staff is very competent -- once told the desired goal, they are quite capable of delivering. Management recognizes that employees have lives outside the company and are very flexible with schedules as long as the employee does the work. The products are exciting and are the kind that helps to make a very visible difference in a company's ROI, and hence to all their employees and shareholders. That doesn't happen very often, iMO. In essence, I very much believe in the value of what we are selling, and that makes it easy to be enthusiastic about offering it to customers. There is rich diversity in the company; employees come from all over the world.

ConsThe induction process for new employees needs to be more organized and process-focused. New employees sometimes have to discover things on their own, and that can lead to unnecessary confusion (first impressions last the longest). The training programs for new employees need better structure, and a commitment to get people the skills they need as quickly as possible so they can start delivering value just as quickly. The pay mechanisms and rules for those employees for whom a significant portion of their pay comes from commissions should be clearly explained before they are hired.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course. You are doing a great job.

Flexible culture, but signs of nepotism

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGreat flexibility with hours, very friendly colleagues and a lot of growth, energy and optimism in the company. The engineering team is great and people tend to stay on with the company for a long time or return after leaving for a while. Attention to small perks like holiday parties, free snacks and beverages in the kitchen, and regular company meetings to provide updates.

ConsA lot of employees that were there when I started have left, a lot of change in management and leadership is causing some loyalty battles or tension, new hires have been increasingly friends or former colleagues of leadership team which creates an us vs. them atmosphere, process issues, overworked teams with fast shifting priorities or directives (often at the last minute or overnight), under-qualified management brings lack of expertise to solve organizational and strategic challenges.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep including employees in conversations about how to improve the workplace and satisfaction - be transparent about what you're doing and why. Ensure that great talent doesn't get sidelined by overly zealous, inexperienced or aggressive leadership. Work out problematic process and organizational issues by providing training and equipping teams with the resources they need.

Old-school solutions for old-school software development

Field Sales (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsLegacy solutions are a must-have for customers with certain characteristics; unfortunately, that group is not expanding, and the firm has closed many of them already
    They work hard to create good work environment - exec team accessible, perks, etc.
    Not a hip space, but has staying power

ConsNew releases too infrequent
    Released a deploy solution that failed and they are now rebooting - will be very late to market
    What the solutions do and their value to customers is different for every customer, and thus hard to market

Advice to Senior ManagementChoose 1 new initiative and execute. Announce what items you *won't* be taking on. Don't publish an aspirational vision with 20 initiatives and then complete none of them.

Good company, but making a lot of changes.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood technology. Smart people with good attitudes. Only have two products but one is best in class and is evolving with customer requirements and needs.

ConsTurnover became tremendous and culture began changing. Most, if not all, senior management has changed within the last two years.

Only two products and one is reaching market saturation. It is a great product, but customers environment must be very specific to utilize the product. No one seemed sure what the TAM (total available market) was for the products, so no good handle on market share or potential.

Great people, needs focus

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA strong sense of community and family, free snacks and beverages, solid 401(k), solid vacation policy, sick leave as needed without limited days.

ConsMassive attrition rates, changes in management leave an unstable feeling, some egos are searching to be martyrs or heroes.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet realistic goals, and back them with knowledge of what the team is capable of, not based upon what you think could happen. Fund the programs that are succeeding for your company, and encourage an open dialog.

Nice environment and great engineering team

Engineering Intern (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsI worked as intern. People are very nice to work with.
    It is a growing company and you will get emails about every milestone of the company.

ConsLocation is a little boring.

Worked for Electric Cloud? Contribute to the Community!