Electric Cloud Reviews

• Sunnyvale, CA
2.4
Electric Cloud CEO Steve Brodie
Steve Brodie

Old-school solutions for old-school software development

Former Employee - Field Sales in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Field Sales in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Electric Cloud full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Legacy solutions are a must-have for customers with certain characteristics; unfortunately, that group is not expanding, and the firm has closed many of them already
    They work hard to create good work environment - exec team accessible, perks, etc.
    Not a hip space, but has staying power

Cons

New releases too infrequent
    Released a deploy solution that failed and they are now rebooting - will be very late to market
    What the solutions do and their value to customers is different for every customer, and thus hard to market

Choose 1 new initiative and execute. Announce what items you *won't* be taking on. Don't publish an aspirational vision with 20 initiatives and then complete none of them.

Flexible culture, but signs of nepotism

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Electric Cloud full-time

Pros

Great flexibility with hours, very friendly colleagues and a lot of growth, energy and optimism in the company. The engineering team is great and people tend to stay on with the company for a long time or return after leaving for a while. Attention to small perks like holiday parties, free snacks and beverages in the kitchen, and regular company meetings to provide updates.

Cons

A lot of employees that were there when I started have left, a lot of change in management and leadership is causing some loyalty battles or tension, new hires have been increasingly friends or former colleagues of leadership team which creates an us vs. them atmosphere, process issues, overworked teams with fast shifting priorities or directives (often at the last minute or overnight), under-qualified management brings lack of expertise to solve organizational and strategic challenges.

Keep including employees in conversations about how to improve the workplace and satisfaction - be transparent about what you're doing and why. Ensure that great talent doesn't get sidelined by overly zealous, inexperienced or aggressive leadership. Work out problematic process and organizational issues by providing training and equipping teams with the resources they need.

Nice environment and great engineering team

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Electric Cloud as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I worked as intern. People are very nice to work with.
    It is a growing company and you will get emails about every milestone of the company.

Cons

Location is a little boring.

5. Company'sis direction or lack of brings uncertainty

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Electric Cloud (more than 3 years)

Pros

Current HR staff is very good and reflect the old culture which can still be seen in the old timer crowd

Cons

Massive attrition within the last 9 months including exec level begs the question whether company can maintain momentum.

Your rank & file is your asset and capital. Treat them with respect.

6. Close, family feel company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Electric Cloud full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people here are amazing, so nice and very dedicated. The culture is friendly and inviting. The office is an open air environment, allowing you feel like there is cohesion and equality between everyone. There are always numerous snacks, and Wednesday is bagel and donut day.

Cons

There is a lack of parking in the front, so sometimes you have to park under eucalyptus trees.

7. Solving tough problems is well rewarded

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Electric Cloud

Pros

Electric Cloud has done a very good job of filtering for highly competent engineers and creating a culture of responsibility and accountability. If there are politics going on in the office, my manager and the VP of Engineering are doing a very good job of hiding it from the engineering team. I know that I can trust my coworkers to watch my back, and I watch theirs in return. The ElectricAccelerator product is solving some extremely tricky problems, so the barrier to entry for competition is high; the ElectricCommander product is in an easier field and just has to compete on excellence.

Cons

The ElectricAccelerator product is already mature, and much of the work is quite tricky, consisting of solving tricky edge cases, adapting to undocumented behaviors of popular operating systems, or integrating new features into an existing complex code base. It's hard to spend much time in a state of flow when working at your limits tackling extremely difficult problems. Because it has to emulate and interface with existing bodies of code, it's often impractical to abstract problems to a comfortable level, so development is more of a chore and less of the "they pay me to do something fun!" that you can get when writing code from scratch. If becoming expert in the minutia of the most detailed quirks of operating systems and development environments is your cup of tea, the work is superb for your career, but if you like abstraction and general-purpose architecture work, you're not going to get a lot of it.

Continue to maintain the culture of openness that the company has had from the start. Electric Cloud is the only company at which I've worked where the employees get to see the same presentation the board of directors do every month, and it gives me a lot more confidence in management than at previous companies.