Electric Cloud

Steve Brodie

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Close, family feel company

Sunnyvale, CA

ProsThe people here are amazing, so nice and very dedicated. The culture is friendly and inviting. The office is an open air environment, allowing you feel like there is cohesion and equality between everyone. There are always numerous snacks, and Wednesday is bagel and donut day.

ConsThere is a lack of parking in the front, so sometimes you have to park under eucalyptus trees.

Flexible culture, but signs of nepotism

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGreat flexibility with hours, very friendly colleagues and a lot of growth, energy and optimism in the company. The engineering team is great and people tend to stay on with the company for a long time or return after leaving for a while. Attention to small perks like holiday parties, free snacks and beverages in the kitchen, and regular company meetings to provide updates.

ConsA lot of employees that were there when I started have left, a lot of change in management and leadership is causing some loyalty battles or tension, new hires have been increasingly friends or former colleagues of leadership team which creates an us vs. them atmosphere, process issues, overworked teams with fast shifting priorities or directives (often at the last minute or overnight), under-qualified management brings lack of expertise to solve organizational and strategic challenges.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep including employees in conversations about how to improve the workplace and satisfaction - be transparent about what you're doing and why. Ensure that great talent doesn't get sidelined by overly zealous, inexperienced or aggressive leadership. Work out problematic process and organizational issues by providing training and equipping teams with the resources they need.

Old-school solutions for old-school software development

Field Sales (Former Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

ProsLegacy solutions are a must-have for customers with certain characteristics; unfortunately, that group is not expanding, and the firm has closed many of them already
    They work hard to create good work environment - exec team accessible, perks, etc.
    Not a hip space, but has staying power

ConsNew releases too infrequent
    Released a deploy solution that failed and they are now rebooting - will be very late to market
    What the solutions do and their value to customers is different for every customer, and thus hard to market

Advice to Senior ManagementChoose 1 new initiative and execute. Announce what items you *won't* be taking on. Don't publish an aspirational vision with 20 initiatives and then complete none of them.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice environment and great engineering team

Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

ProsI worked as intern. People are very nice to work with.
    It is a growing company and you will get emails about every milestone of the company.

ConsLocation is a little boring.

Company'sis direction or lack of brings uncertainty

Sunnyvale, CA

ProsCurrent HR staff is very good and reflect the old culture which can still be seen in the old timer crowd

ConsMassive attrition within the last 9 months including exec level begs the question whether company can maintain momentum.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour rank & file is your asset and capital. Treat them with respect.

Solving tough problems is well rewarded

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

ProsElectric Cloud has done a very good job of filtering for highly competent engineers and creating a culture of responsibility and accountability. If there are politics going on in the office, my manager and the VP of Engineering are doing a very good job of hiding it from the engineering team. I know that I can trust my coworkers to watch my back, and I watch theirs in return. The ElectricAccelerator product is solving some extremely tricky problems, so the barrier to entry for competition is high; the ElectricCommander product is in an easier field and just has to compete on excellence.

ConsThe ElectricAccelerator product is already mature, and much of the work is quite tricky, consisting of solving tricky edge cases, adapting to undocumented behaviors of popular operating systems, or integrating new features into an existing complex code base. It's hard to spend much time in a state of flow when working at your limits tackling extremely difficult problems. Because it has to emulate and interface with existing bodies of code, it's often impractical to abstract problems to a comfortable level, so development is more of a chore and less of the "they pay me to do something fun!" that you can get when writing code from scratch. If becoming expert in the minutia of the most detailed quirks of operating systems and development environments is your cup of tea, the work is superb for your career, but if you like abstraction and general-purpose architecture work, you're not going to get a lot of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to maintain the culture of openness that the company has had from the start. Electric Cloud is the only company at which I've worked where the employees get to see the same presentation the board of directors do every month, and it gives me a lot more confidence in management than at previous companies.

Worked for Electric Cloud? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Electric Cloud reviews and ratings in Sunnyvale, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Electric Cloud CEO Steve Brodie. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Electric Cloud employees.