Electric Insurance

Add Photos

Marc A. Meiches

Great Company at which to Learn

Manager (Former Employee) Beverly, MA

ProsEIC allows you to develop your skills and invests in their employees constantly. There's a great community that works together to serve the customer.

ConsThe company is relatively small, so you may outgrow it if your aspirations are very big.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease continue to cultivate the wonderful talent you've already got.

Does not value employees

Document Review Attorney (Current Employee) Beverly, MA

ProsWork is easy, and there is a on site gym and cafeteria.

ConsThere is no future at this job, and they will cut you and your wages if they think it will save GE money. They have dropped wages for contractors from the Boston Standard of $30 an hour down to $28, then to $27, and now $25 and hour. They hire you through a third party agency which you have absolutely no contact or bargaining power with, and they agency is is California and while it offers a Obama Care compliant health care plan, that same plan doesn't meet Massachusetts standards, so you would still have to pay the penalty.

Uncertain if any of the "savings" they create for GE are from increases in efficiency, or merely just savings in labor costs from cutting wages.

Discouraging experience

ProsElectric insurance creates at atmosphere of hard working employees who take pride in their work. There are also giveaways, jeans days and a great health program

ConsExtremely stressful place to work. The compensation is extremely low for the unrealistic metrics placed by management. If there is a problem that occurs there is more effort put towards finger pointing than solving the actual problem. Employees are given multiple different roles but the simple metrics placed by management makes it nearly impossible to show how much each employee contributes.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation needs to be competitive and reflect the cost of living for the area.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Electric Insurance Co is a very good place to work.

Legal (Current Employee) Beverly, MA

ProsSmall company which allows for your ideas to be put into action.

ConsLimited areas to advance. Salary bands without cost of living increases which causes no salary increases when one hits the top of the band.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible about allowing employees to work from home.

Nice place, quick to fire

Document Reviwer (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay, overall nice people, and flexible scheduling.

ConsQuick to let you go if you have bad review accuracy. I admittedly was struggling with accuracy but was adamantly working to improve. They decided to let me go very quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore concise and unified communication and training.

Bottom of the barrel Property and Casualty insurance company

Auto Damage Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) Beverly, MA

Pros-Work life balance
    -Fun and hard working co-workers( customer facing)
    -Random Jeans day
    -Cake on your birthday
    -Annual bonus if you complete your review
    -Paid training
    -Paid licensing

Cons-Extremely political
    -You will not get promoted unless you are a managers best friend
    -Top shelf expectations, bottom shelf compensation
    -Sky high stress levels
    -Unrealistic management
    -Unorganized monthly meetings
    -Management does more delegating and less managing

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should be outsourced to a real insurance company

I currently work at Electric Insurance

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Beverly, MA

ProsLove the people, community involvement and everything else.

ConsNone, I think it's great at Electric

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, You are doing a great job.

Old-school loyalty doesn't exist.

Mid-level Insurance Serf (Current Employee) Beverly, MA

ProsElectric Insurance is great if you're starting off from college. They will provide paid-training for three weeks, pay your licensing tests, and to upkeep your state licenses. The training is decent, healthcare is decent enough (Use to be a lot better when we had Blue Cross, Blue Shield but now we have Aetna), and what's great is after five years you get four weeks paid vacation. This works well if you can get out of the contact center and into another department such as Pricing, Agency Services, and Claims. Electric Insurance is rated one of the best in Claims. The Claims' VP is amazing and it's like working for a different company.

ConsWhen I joined Electric Insurance I was given their pension plan which is pretty nice. Electric Insurance stopped offering pension plans for future employees in 2010 (I believe). Now there is 401K and Heath care.

There is a high turnover rate, especially in the customer service department. When I was hired I had three different departments to choose from: Claims, Sales, or Customer Service. Now you start Customer Service. Period. The salary band in Customer Service is the lowest out of Sales and Claims, so everyone knows now Customer Service is a foot in the door and you move within the company to actually get a better salary, better position, and better work environment. Due to the high turnover rate in the contact center, actual people who know Customer Service don't exist because they left to move upwards in the company or got out to other insurance companies. So there is a massive brain drain in the customer service department. Other departments look down on customer service which isn't flattering. The senior micro-management of the contact center is the antithesis of the claims management.

There is obvious favoritism when a person or persons get promoted because your manager likes you without any relevance to a job-well-done or even appropriate credentials for the position. When there are employees with better qualifications and more tenure but are passed up when a newcomer comes in and is promoted. It becomes quickly apparent that said person should not be in the a position of authority, because he/she are not ready, does not have the insurance knowledge, professional experience, and the maturity level to handle the leadership role. Moreover, there is a power trip with those immature leaders and managers who are promoted prematurely, especially towards their subordinates who have more knowledge and or experience.

I've seen colleagues fired over trivial reasons or yelled at for trivial reasons. A fellow co-worker was bullied into quitting because said person was uncomfortable in being pushed by senior management to be unethical about a policy. Another co-worker was fired because Electric Insurance measures you on numbers instead of actual customer service (this is beginning Insurance Account Specialist). Person was having health issues due to all the stress of being written up because said numbers weren't high enough. Person took a sick day (which we are allotted) and that gave senior management to fire said person. Despicable.

It is also apparent that senior management's lack of insurance knowledge has surprised me numerous times. My colleagues and I seem to know more than managers.

Disclaimer: I have had good managers but they are few and far between.

Also if you want to obtain the professional insurance certifications...it doesn't help in moving you up necessarily in your career at Electric Insurance. It isn't automatic raises or promotions. A manager with power has to like you. So again heavy favoritism. Therefore, this squelches the drive for personal improvement in your professional career based upon your own initiative.

There is more work load than the hours you have to work in a day. Management does NOT like to give overtime even when one needs it. Overtime is heavily discouraged. This is where one is already set up for failure. If you can't get the work done, then you'll be written up or fired or all of the above. If you ask for help or let management know your work load is too much they'll look at you like you're an idiot, write you up, and then fire you...or if management is having a good day...there will be a mental note of your incompetence so moving up within the company is shot to pieces.

There is inside gossip and I've noticed people can hold grudges. Careful what you say, and or comments in passing that is construed in anyway negative or joking. It'll spread like wildfire. Furthermore, don't ask questions of clarification from managers or senior managers even if they are relevant, because it becomes quickly apparent they don't like to be questioned, especially when they realize they didn't think it through with their genius ideas or implementation. They want their annual bonuses while we, the serfs, have to figure out the details and make the managers look pretty.

Finally there is obvious gender discrimination, especially in the contact center where one's gender supersedes importance than actual insurance knowledge. Women seem to do better at Electric Insurance and are given a lot more get-out-of-jail free cards and excuses because management roles currently have more females than males in place. I am glad to see women leaders and or promoted when they are the best candidate for the job. I would like there to be no gender bias and for the males to be treated equally.

H.R. needs to get out of department manager's back pockets, especially customer service. They need to be a separate entity where employees can feel comfortable in expressing constructive complaints without fear of reprisal from managers. H.R. personnel have become spies for the department managers in the company. This is not H.R.'s role. H.R. should care about employees' well-being and be the advocate for the employees to managers. H.R. must become autonomous from management in order to maintain integrity and hold managers accountable to the company code of ethics.

Advice to Senior ManagementAward those who provide excellent service and promote actual people who have the skills and talents without any form of discrimination. Management needs to care more and really level the playing field in salary (especially in Customer Service) and benefits with all the other departments so there isn't a brain drain. Stop playing favoritism. Start caring about your employees instead of seeing us as numbers and as expendable.

EIC review

Proseverything is very good. keep it up

Conskeep it up. everything is very good.

Advice to Senior Managementeverything is very good. keep it up

Sales Consultant

New Policy Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Beverly, MA

ProsGreat people
    Good cafeteria
    Managers willing to work with you

Conslarge turnover in sales and customer service
    upper and middle management do not seem to be on the same page
    unrealistic goals
    cut throat environment with low salary = low motivation

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay to what is more standard in the industry

Worked for Electric Insurance? Contribute to the Community!