Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)

www.epri.com

Reset
3.1
Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) President & CEO Michael W. Howard
Michael W. Howard

Pros
  • The employees are very devoted to their research, but the company allows healthy work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Most employees work schedules are flexible enough to allow them to work from home as needed (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The only way to break through glass ceiling is to leave the company (in 2 reviews)

• Project managers have little skill in being people managers (in 2 reviews)

1. Great company to work for

Former Employee - QA Tester Contractor in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - QA Tester Contractor in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) (Less than a year)

Pros

Near commute transit area, nice location with a hillview, good technology, friendly people, helpful staff members

Cons

Need more parking spaces for the company buildings

2. EPRI, a good place to work.

Current Employee - Project Engineer/Scientist III in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Project Engineer/Scientist III in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)

Pros

Good benefits. Stables career with opportunities for advancement. Many, many areas to work in in nearly every aspect of the utility industry.

Cons

Company is slow to adapt in some areas and being out competed. It can be hard to coordinate efforts with other groups in the company.

Advice to Management

The vision and direction of the company is never clearly presented to employees in a way that forms a cohesive driving focus to our work. Most of the time we are talked to with lofty ideals without the means to ensure those ideals are fully realized.

IT and Marketing Incompetence

I worked at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)

Pros

Brilliant engineers and research
    Office locations
    Research excellence
    Global
    Contributions

Cons

Last 5 years has shown the utter incompetence of IT staff and particular lower level management. Incompetent staff rewarded for incompetence.

Advice to Management

Cleanup existing IT staff. too many people who do minimal work.

5. Student Inter

Current Employee - Intern in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Intern in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)

Pros

Absolutely love the company. Management is fantastic.

Cons

No cons as of yet

6. Good environment

I worked at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)

Pros

- Great Employees to work with
    - Laid back environment but good working atmosphere
    - Team driven
    - Flexible hours

Cons

For a tech company with in Bay Area, the wages are quite low

Advice to Management

Be consistent and train new people

Dysfunctional culture

I have been working at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) full-time

Pros

Exciting achievements to advance technology for the electric power industry. EPRI has been at the center of amazing developments for the industry for over forty years.

Cons

The culture at EPRI is swirling in dysfunction. Old culture and personalities of a growing not-for-profit from years past continually strive against leadership's desire to operate as a business. This conflict has eroded any semblance of discipline and prevents any attempt to implement effective processes or best practice. Don't come here if you want to grow and be successful.
    My personal experience has also been darkened by a lack of support from my immediate supervisor. Communication is primarily one-way (me to supr.) and when challenges arise my supervisor condemns me rather than supporting a position previously agreed with when discussed.

Advice to Management

EPRI will always be challenged to retain talented employees and those that remain will be discontented with management and only hang around for the technology.

8. Server Operations Intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)

Pros

Very knowledgeable co-workers and consistent work expectation.

Cons

Not very exciting for Information Technology

Advice to Management

Assess management styles frequently.

Terrible management, highly segregated culture

I have been working at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) full-time

Pros

great research opportunities; mix with lots of diverse people in electricity industry, great benefits, laid-back

Cons

do nothing to help transition for new hires (including those with experience), little managerial direction, very unstructured in terms of policies and procedures, difficult to advance, pay increases are menial and do not keep up with inflation

10. Great company doing great things!

I worked at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)

Pros

Exciting research , great compensation , laid back and relaxed work environment, many employee incentatives

Cons

None from my experience

One of the most disappointing experiences of my life.

Former Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits. Unfortunately, no amount of pay can justify the excessive office politics, leadership hubris, non-strategic thinking, and "shiny object" projects one will endure.

Cons

Incredibly incompetent leadership who exercise their power without regard to the mission and principles that brought EPRI into existence. In my first year of employment, the organization stood for what it is supposed to do: provide objective research in the name of shaping the future of electricity. I was particularly impressed with the leadership exhibited by several individuals, and their commitment to fulfilling EPRI founder Chauncey Starr's vision. Unfortunately, these individuals and several others were removed "for cost"--at a time when targets were being met.

Curiously, what followed these individuals' questionable removal was a slow descent into scattershot efforts that not only, in my opinion, jeopardized EPRI's standing as an objective Institute, but also raised concerns about the prudent use of members' dollars. It is no surprise that certain leaders' actions and pet projects drove employees into a state of poor morale that continues to devolve. Even in the face of hard metrics garnered from employee surveys, Leadership turned the cheek and even sugar-coated the lackluster results. Efforts to ameliorate employees' concerns were half-hearted at best, even when good employees offered hard strategies and options for leadership to take action.

In addition to the woes of Leadership, there is zero accountability in place at EPRI. Misused dollars, failed projects, improper conduct with employees, and lack of adherence to the organization's mission plague the workplace. Whether it is a sense of entitlement because of their tenure at EPRI, the money they are being paid, or the special relationship they have with someone in power in the organization, many are able to get away with things that would almost always be punishable by demotion, termination, and in many cases, legal action in another organization.

The one word, and ultimate reason for my departure, is disappointment. Disappointment because I intensely care about the mission that EPRI was founded upon. And while there are great projects and work still trickling out, the overall trajectory is poor. I believe it is only a matter of time before EPRI members realize the lack of return on their investment, and that employees leave en masse (which is indeed happening). It is my hope that the historically detached Board of Directors realizes the issues outlined in this review, amongst many others, and clears the decks so that one day, EPRI can return to the great company it once was.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees and take real action. Begin to hold people accountable for their work and their actions. Recognize the talents of employees who aren't in the "inner circles," and better yet, stop creating the inner circles by stopping politicking. Finally, never lose sight of the principals that brought EPRI into existence.

RSS Feed </> Embed