Electro-Motive

Be The First To
Add Photos

Electro-Motive CEO Billy Ainsworth

Billy Ainsworth

The people are great to work with.

Quality Engineer (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe salary is decent and the people are great.

ConsRaises and bonuses are very few and in between

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed better direction and recognition to employees

Used to be a great company before Caterpillar (Progress Rail) took over

Database Development Engineer (Current Employee)
    Lagrange Hlds, IL

ProsNice location in Chicagoland area.

ConsPay is below market standards. Old school management with no desire to keep up with times and technology.

Electro-Motive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExciting product line and fast paced developments.

ConsThey give great lip service to employee development but little action. Upper management has little investment in workers but override the opinions of direct managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the inclusion of workers in improvements. Cutting work force only improves efficiencies when the work load decreases or the processes improve not when the parent company demands more profit to cover sagging sales in other areas.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome Job, Awful Culture. Great Place For Self Motivated Hard Workers With Thick Skin, Who Enjoy A Channange

Technical Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsDecent pay for the lack of experience required. International travel opportunities, should you choose to take them. Good mix of office work, hands on tinkering, and special projects.

ConsPolicies come and go without much notice. Negative reinforcement seems to be the only method of coaching. Not much effort is taken to share valuable information with the front-line. Most new hires are brought on as contractors, not employees. Contracting benefits are laughable when compared to those of an employee with comparable responsibilities. No formal training.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training, less complaining!

Was a good place to work

Electrician (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe pay is good if you started before 2011

ConsPay and benefits are not what they were

Best "Slice of Life" Internship

Engineering Intern - Engine Systems (Former Employee)
    La Grange, IL

ProsWorked on many projects; friendly, helpful colleagues; worked with locomotives; received a mentor; good perspective on engineering as an occupation

ConsSometimes there was lack of direction; had to overcome boredom some days; other interns were less motivated than me

Advice to Senior ManagementHot lunches in the headquarters building; more direction for interns; more company events; continue to partner new hires and interns with mentors to show them the ropes and to have a safe person to ask "dumb" questions to

A company not focused on the long term.

Engineer (Current Employee)
    La Grange, IL

Prosopportunities to travel, getting to work with locomotives, short term incentive plan, freedom to self manage, locomotive training classes, opportunities to get involved with charities

ConsConstant budget cuts, lack of resources, corporate values that are not held to, lack of accountability, lack of effective processes, minimal teamwork, low morale, policies that are constantly bent/broken, groups too large to manage

Advice to Senior Managementwork on fixing the cons

can be so much better if Caterpillar didn't run things.

Electrical Locker Assembler (Former Employee)
    Lagrange Hlds, IL

Prosunion, lots of work, good people to work with, tons of advancement opportunities.

Consowned by Caterpillar, management is clueless, forced overtime (have to work it or you get points that get you fired) bad union reps who are purchased by the company to bust the union up.

Advice to Senior Managementwhat can i say we are a union workforce owned by the biggest anti-union labor out there...Caterpiller. they will shut the entire business down and destroy many people's lifes and family for no reason other than the simple fact that EMD is unionized and they hate unions. Management is instructed to bust up the union anyway or shape possible even if it means closing down the plant in IL and moving it to Indiana where they dont have a union.

It was the most demeaning and disheartening experience of my life.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    McCook, IL

ProsGood compensation for production related positions.

ConsUpper management is disconnected - the lie about their values and integrity. It is just words they spew out, while stabbing everyone in the back. This company literally does not care if you die from working so much as long as they get the job done. Middle management plays favorites. Women are treated like dogs. I would not work at EMD if you are a woman - they shove work at you and then make demeaning comments. I never knew anyone who was happy working there. They investigate you after you quit and encourage people to drink the kool-air by offering up negative stories about how you conducted yourself.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate, take a class in life values, don't screw people over, appreciate your good workers, take a look at your family - do you care about them? Well, you're employees care about their families too, so give them some time with them. Reward good workers with more than a hot dog once a year.

EH

Machinist (Current Employee)
    McCook, IL

ProsThe moneys good in certain departments. With machinist background you can get ahead if you get in good with the higher ups.

ConsLong hours at times mandatory. Supervisors (IMO) run departments on fear and intimidation.

Advice to Senior ManagementEase up on employees, they're doing they're best.

Worked for Electro-Motive? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Electro-Motive reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Electro-Motive CEO Billy Ainsworth. All 46 reviews posted anonymously by Electro-Motive employees.