Electro Scientific Industries

Updated July 17, 2014
3.3

Electro Scientific Industries President, CEO, and Director Nick Konidaris
Nick Konidaris

Well run company, flexible management, positive work environment, state-of-the-art projects

Former Employee - Applications Engineer  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Electro Scientific Industries full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

For a smaller company, they carry many big company benefits. If you work hard, you will move up.
    The company has been around for over 60 years and is financially stable.

Cons

Management could be more involved with projects and direction. Seems to be a big gap.

With several changes in upper management, the direction of the company may be lost. A strong leader with industry knowledge. While laser applications is the current company focus, it doesn't have to be. The company started out as an electronic test and measurement company.

Former field engineer

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer - 1990's  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer - 1990's in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Electro Scientific Industries full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Best job I ever had. Well trained, well paid, chose our own airline, company car, overall a great job and I loved doing it.

Cons

Management changed hands and took all the benefits away. All of them I was told to go buy reliable transportation and esi would give me $0.11 / mile. Started flying all field engineers out on Sundays, made us stay over a Saturday night to cut costs that customers paid for - no impact to esi. 7 of 8 field engineers quit in one month.

Think before you keep. Good Lord why did management act surprised when we all left one by one?

I performed drudge work at a company unprepared for interns.

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Electro Scientific Industries as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I was given a lot of independence in choosing what I worked on, and was given the opportunity to get experience from older employees. There was also an on-site cafeteria.

Cons

The average employee age was 10-20 years older than me and there was not any sense of mentorship. The company also seemed unprepared for interns (projects weren't well defined).

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Teamwork is strong - Manufacturing is going overseas

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Electro Scientific Industries

Pros

Strong on teamwork and cross-functional support. Design engineering is both innovative and realistic. Operations works like an ISO 9001 company even though company is not ISO 9001.

Cons

Very few new products making it to the marketplace. Product direction is more by management dictates than well reasoned approach. Company is presently dependent on a few loyal customers.

Marketing and new marketing research at the company is weak. With senior staff, determine collectively what must happen to affect better research.

Observations of a mid-size company.

I have been working at Electro Scientific Industries

Pros

Time off allocation is nice for a new employee. Stock option plan is worthwhile. Engineering is king and appreciated. In-house cafeteria is a great deal!

Cons

Long term prospects are limited as they move their manufacturing off-shore to Asia. Internal movement is preferential by the upper management.

Look at work experience and not just a degree! Upper management needs to get out of their offices more and walk around and get a feel of what the rank and file are doing and see how they perceive things.

Overall review

I have been working at Electro Scientific Industries

Pros

Flexible work schedules are a huge plus. There's never a problem with rearranging my schedule to meet my family needs. Great people who really know their stuff work here. The benefits package is really good too.

Cons

There aren't many opportunities for advancement. The review process is tedious. Hard work isn't always recognized on an individual level.

Work towards streamlining the review process. Stay on top of management to insure reivews are being given timely and are not extending a month or more beyond the given deadlines.

ESI still has potential, but it needs to place higher value on it's best employees.

I have been working at Electro Scientific Industries

Pros

Compensation & benefits are reasonable for this industry.

Cons

Very little job security in a downside market. Be prepared to be laid off (no matter what your level of seniority).

I think nearly all the senior managers are all intimidated by the type of leadership of the CEO and therefore are afraid to confront him with innovative or different business strategies.

Average overall

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Electro Scientific Industries

Pros

The people at ESI are smart and easy to get along with. There's a wide variety of technology and a lot of it is cutting-edge. The company is small enough that any individual can make a noticeable difference if they want to get off of their butt. Intentions are almost always good.

Cons

There's been an incredible amount of churn in personnel over the last 5 years. The company is in the process of transitioning from old-school where 25+ years of service was typical to new-school where 5 years of service is industry average. Strong, team-building leadership is undervalued and almost non-existent. Company culture doesn't include constructively critical periods of review across entire disciplines but rather pits engineers against one another for once-yearly reviews. Check the stock price history.

Take a hard look at the corporate culture

ESI

Former Employee - Applications Engineer  in  Hsinchu (Taiwan)
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Hsinchu (Taiwan)

I worked at Electro Scientific Industries full-time for less than a year

Pros

Kind environment
    Great training
    Caring to employees

Cons

nothing particular to be mentioned

Good job

Great co-workers and very relaxed atmosphere

I worked at Electro Scientific Industries

Pros

Flexible and very friendly people. Good benefits

Cons

Company kept down sizing and kept expecting the same work output. Went above and beyond on many occasions and still was not good enough for job security.

Most of the success for the company came in the lower level work. People worked countless hours and effortlessly to make the quarter demands. Yet the company continued to higher upper management positions in lieu of keeping jobs at the lower level. These are the people that makes ESI have successful quarters. It is shameful that you rid the american people of jobs and outsource overseas.

Worked for Electro Scientific Industries? Contribute to the Community!