Electro Scientific Industries

Be The First To
Add Photos

Electro Scientific Industries President, CEO, and Director Nick Konidaris

Nick Konidaris

Well run company, flexible management, positive work environment, state-of-the-art projects

Applications Engineer (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsFor a smaller company, they carry many big company benefits. If you work hard, you will move up.
    The company has been around for over 60 years and is financially stable.

ConsManagement could be more involved with projects and direction. Seems to be a big gap.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith several changes in upper management, the direction of the company may be lost. A strong leader with industry knowledge. While laser applications is the current company focus, it doesn't have to be. The company started out as an electronic test and measurement company.

Former field engineer

Field Service Engineer - 1990's (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsBest job I ever had. Well trained, well paid, chose our own airline, company car, overall a great job and I loved doing it.

ConsManagement changed hands and took all the benefits away. All of them I was told to go buy reliable transportation and esi would give me $0.11 / mile. Started flying all field engineers out on Sundays, made us stay over a Saturday night to cut costs that customers paid for - no impact to esi. 7 of 8 field engineers quit in one month.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink before you keep. Good Lord why did management act surprised when we all left one by one?

I performed drudge work at a company unprepared for interns.

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsI was given a lot of independence in choosing what I worked on, and was given the opportunity to get experience from older employees. There was also an on-site cafeteria.

ConsThe average employee age was 10-20 years older than me and there was not any sense of mentorship. The company also seemed unprepared for interns (projects weren't well defined).

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Teamwork is strong - Manufacturing is going overseas

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsStrong on teamwork and cross-functional support. Design engineering is both innovative and realistic. Operations works like an ISO 9001 company even though company is not ISO 9001.

ConsVery few new products making it to the marketplace. Product direction is more by management dictates than well reasoned approach. Company is presently dependent on a few loyal customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMarketing and new marketing research at the company is weak. With senior staff, determine collectively what must happen to affect better research.

Observations of a mid-size company.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsTime off allocation is nice for a new employee. Stock option plan is worthwhile. Engineering is king and appreciated. In-house cafeteria is a great deal!

ConsLong term prospects are limited as they move their manufacturing off-shore to Asia. Internal movement is preferential by the upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at work experience and not just a degree! Upper management needs to get out of their offices more and walk around and get a feel of what the rank and file are doing and see how they perceive things.

Overall review

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsFlexible work schedules are a huge plus. There's never a problem with rearranging my schedule to meet my family needs. Great people who really know their stuff work here. The benefits package is really good too.

ConsThere aren't many opportunities for advancement. The review process is tedious. Hard work isn't always recognized on an individual level.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork towards streamlining the review process. Stay on top of management to insure reivews are being given timely and are not extending a month or more beyond the given deadlines.

ESI still has potential, but it needs to place higher value on it's best employees.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsCompensation & benefits are reasonable for this industry.

ConsVery little job security in a downside market. Be prepared to be laid off (no matter what your level of seniority).

Advice to Senior ManagementI think nearly all the senior managers are all intimidated by the type of leadership of the CEO and therefore are afraid to confront him with innovative or different business strategies.

Average overall

Engineer (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsThe people at ESI are smart and easy to get along with. There's a wide variety of technology and a lot of it is cutting-edge. The company is small enough that any individual can make a noticeable difference if they want to get off of their butt. Intentions are almost always good.

ConsThere's been an incredible amount of churn in personnel over the last 5 years. The company is in the process of transitioning from old-school where 25+ years of service was typical to new-school where 5 years of service is industry average. Strong, team-building leadership is undervalued and almost non-existent. Company culture doesn't include constructively critical periods of review across entire disciplines but rather pits engineers against one another for once-yearly reviews. Check the stock price history.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a hard look at the corporate culture

ESI

Applications Engineer (Former Employee) Hsinchu (Taiwan)

ProsKind environment
    Great training
    Caring to employees

Consnothing particular to be mentioned

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job

Great co-workers and very relaxed atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible and very friendly people. Good benefits

ConsCompany kept down sizing and kept expecting the same work output. Went above and beyond on many occasions and still was not good enough for job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost of the success for the company came in the lower level work. People worked countless hours and effortlessly to make the quarter demands. Yet the company continued to higher upper management positions in lieu of keeping jobs at the lower level. These are the people that makes ESI have successful quarters. It is shameful that you rid the american people of jobs and outsource overseas.

Worked for Electro Scientific Industries? Contribute to the Community!