Electrocomponents Reviews

Reset
4.2
Electrocomponents Group Chief Executive Lindsley Ruth
Lindsley Ruth

1. Fantastic company to work for!

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Corby, Northamptonshire, East Midlands, England (UK)

I worked at Electrocomponents full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Excellent employee benefits - private medical insurance just an example, one of the very best! *Fantastic co-workers and great management, no time-wasters! * You get rewarded for your hard work, and feel appreciated. * Career progression is encouraged and support to move to the next level is immense.

Cons

* employees may take advantage of the company friendly approach. * being a distributor company, warehouse environment may not be the most cut-throat environments about. * each department is highly competitive thereby making internal moves rather more difficult.

Advice to Management

I've felt the presence of strong management but the only thing I would want to stress more is to keep the logistics arena as updated as the e-commerce front.

2. Good, but it really does depend on your line manager as some have no people management skills

Former Employee - Involved In Project Work in Oxford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Involved In Project Work in Oxford, England (UK)

I worked at Electrocomponents full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overall a good company to work for with decent benefits and working environment. I was involved in lots of interesting projects and was part of a great team with a line manager who had some people management skills and actually did seem to care about us. Until he got another position internally, and couldn't get out of the door fast enough....

Cons

First, let me say that there are some good line managers at ElectroComponents, however when my previous line manager left (internal move), the replacement couldn't care less about my development or offering any kind of support or guidance whatsoever. You really do need to watch your work colleagues too, some team members who have been there a long time seem to think they have a right to be promoted, and will tread on anyone to get it, not caring if their actions have a negative impact on others. One last point, unless you are classed as a 'high potential', you can forget about progression. High potentials are essentially the line manager's favourites, and are fast tracked on the manager development programme. Although strangely, there don't seem to be any people management elements to this programme...

Advice to Management

Have an effective programme to train line managers in people management, some people are promoted because they are identified as 'high potentials' with no thought to the skills that are actually needed for a line manager.

RSS Feed </> Embed