Electronic Arts

Electronic Arts Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson

Andrew Wilson

Pros
  • Managers do try to encourage workers to maintain a decent work/life balance(in 27 reviews)

• Nice & friendly colleagues, which made for a really nice work environment despite the Cons(in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Some staff will struggle with achieving work/life balance if they are not careful(in 36 reviews)

• Extremely long hours, if you aren't living at the job you aren't fitting in(in 51 reviews)

Fun, but could be disorganized

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI liked EA. I met a lot of fun people and did some interesting work, The campus at Redwood Shores is beautiful.

ConsHigh management was not really sure what it's strategy was while I was there, so a lot of projects were fairly disorganized. Little space to move up in the organization.

Great place to work

Director (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsOverall the company takes care of employees. Gaming company, good benefits and great culture.

ConsBig company, a lot of process and bureaucracy. Slow to change and implement new ideas

Advice to Senior ManagementNew CEO and CFO are doing a great job, the company seems more focused

Six Good Years at EA

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsWorking with some of the strongest software in the video games industry was an absolute pleasure. After departing for business school after six years in marketing and sales, I cannot say enough about the atmosphere and enthusiasm that EA has developed.

ConsMany that I worked with expressed a sense of disenfranchisement resulting from a decision making process driven by mid-upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower those that are closest to the information to make the decisions

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent place to work with the greatest environment

Network Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsPool table, free videogames, breakfast, gym, RSU package and more

ConsNo CONS all is great

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Sad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking on video games is fun!

ConsPoor work-life balance, compensation, and management.

Advice to Senior ManagementEven though many people want to work in games, investing in employees (rather than viewing them as disposable) would help the stock.

Game Advisor

Game Advisor (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

Pros- fun working there
    - Co-workers are helpful and friendly
    - some supervisors

Cons- you get praised and then fired
    - they work a lot with staffing agencies
    - through staffing absolutely no benefits
    - treated very differently when through staffing agency
    - no innovation
    - no way to grow with the company
    - knowledge of some supervisors not that great

Advice to Senior Management- keep your good staff instead on the cheap
    - why staffing agencies? Hire your employees directly.

Disaster in hiring senior execs

Senior QA Director (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsHuge company has many cultural "zones". I used to be in a high performing team full of motivated engineering colleagues win a high level of pride in what we did.

I knew a lot of great developers and managers that loved their game or feature team at EA, and stayed forever. There are surely some good spots in the company, but beware its a mixed bag, YMMV

ConsUpheaval in senior executives brought is a horrible phase in 2011-2012 that drove out literally half of my engineering org due to bozo leadership. I have read that a pair of top execs responsible for a lot of this disaster have moved on, so maybe that's a past issue now.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't wield the big hammer of fear, respect your teams. Relax the ship date obsession, products should be great above shipping on time. Watch valve do this well.

Contractors are second class citizens

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood people, nice benefits (gym, cafeteria's, starbucks, etc.); creativity is encouraged. even though the company went through many layoff rounds in 2013, managers and supervisors always were there if you needed to talk/vent; they care about your well being.

Consthe company itself needs to understand that contract employees are still employees; they were not allowed to attend certain all staff, company wide meetings and also not even invited to the big company holiday party. wasn't a huge deal but definitely felt second class. had some very old fashioned practices as well. constantly went through layoff round after layoff round in 2013.

Not that great experience

ProsPros are some of the benefits and being casual at work. Team lunch at times and it is fun to be here during Christmas time.

ConsThe management is not that great and they don't have good hikes. They are flexible with work at times.

Great first-time experience at a company of this size.

Senior Artist (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsGreat competitive salary. Great boss, gave me a lot of freedom and independence. Great company perks both within and outside the office. Consistent and steady workload, never had to take work home. Allowed for great life balance.

ConsOpportunities of advancement or learning other skill sets were difficult to find. Frequent company reorganization often caused stress and confusion.

Advice to Senior ManagementI imagine it's very difficult to manage a company of this size with so many employees so I'm not really sure what kind of advice one individual can give. I guess the best advice would be for higher ups to properly delegate their work to those on their team, and take the time to hire strong, reliable, organized staff.

Worked for Electronic Arts? Contribute to the Community!